• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB's Bag of Tricks (New Discovery? 8-13-11 Post 61)

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
i think we're using the same method lol...u just flick it rly fast, and I just tilt it rly fast.
Alright, hit me up on fb. we're going to figure this out, and report back here lol.

edit: or aim

xZorCx

Smash Rookie
I was just curious why this technique was never mentioned in this thread:
--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8EMDBPjQ0

But I can't execute that GT-Edgehog because ROB never gets offstage when I Glidetoss at the ledge ... I hope that the SWF ROB-Boards are able to help me to find out what's necessary to perform this technique ;)

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Probably not listed here because it's not so much a technique itself as much as it is an application of glidetoss. Still, we're not here to split hairs, so I think as long as it's actually useful then a spot on the list is justified, I guess.

As far as how to execute it, I'm fairly certain you just keep holding the joystick in the direction you're moving (ie off the ledge) after the toss until you go over the edge. Either that, or you hold diagonally off the ledge and downward. Or maybe it's a quick quarter circle. One of those three should definitely work.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I was just curious why this technique was never mentioned in this thread:
--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8EMDBPjQ0

But I can't execute that GT-Edgehog because ROB never gets offstage when I Glidetoss at the ledge ... I hope that the SWF ROB-Boards are able to help me to find out what's necessary to perform this technique ;)
Probably not listed here because it's not so much a technique itself as much as it is an application of glidetoss. Still, we're not here to split hairs, so I think as long as it's actually useful then a spot on the list is justified, I guess.

As far as how to execute it, I'm fairly certain you just keep holding the joystick in the direction you're moving (ie off the ledge) after the toss until you go over the edge. Either that, or you hold diagonally off the ledge and downward. Or maybe it's a quick quarter circle. One of those three should definitely work.
Yeah just like ledge boosting, it's all about timing. I'll have to play around with it some (haven't in a while) and if there's anything specific to know about it, I'll relay it.

xZorCx

Smash Rookie
If I just do a Dash+Ledgegrab After my GT it looks quite similar to Razer's GT-Edgehog.... But in his vid, I think He grabs the Ledge much faster than me and his gyro bounces higher....

:phone:

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
If I just do a Dash+Ledgegrab After my GT it looks quite similar to Razer's GT-Edgehog.... But in his vid, I think He grabs the Ledge much faster than me and his gyro bounces higher....

^ That. =/

Help please!

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
For the record, another way you can do the full slide WGT is through buffering. I was able to get this in 1/4 speed in training mode, so all I know is that the frames exist for this to work. How easy it is in real speed? Idk, someone who has better timing than me can try it, I could only get the half slide WGT with this method. But basically, you spot-dodge, then towards the end of the spot-dodge (buffer frames) buffer a side roll, then hit A button ASAP. Like i said, I was able to accomplish this in 1/4 speed, so the frames are definitely there, although it might be one of those 1-frame-margin-of-error deals.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Soft Glide-Toss & Nudging

- the name "weak" glide toss is a misnomer...the thing that is "weak" about it is the throw animation itself, not the length of the glide toss
This is why I refer to it as the "Soft Glide-Toss" saying it's weak makes it sound like it's bad.

go like that far. maybe a little less.
The distance this diagram is illustrating is what is called the "nudge" distance, which is half a "tilt" distance, which is less than a "smash" distance.

Neutral => Nudge => Tilt => Smash

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Nudge and tilt are the same I'm pretty sure, the only reason you "nudge" instead of "tilt" is because it resets to neutral faster. You want to flick the stick as little as possible so it registers as a tilt so you get the slide, but not too much where it cant reset back to neutral in time. It's tricky, but 100% worth learning if you play ROB, he gains a lot out of it, I've already started trying to implement it into my gameplay but I'm not technically consistent enough with it yet to rely on it.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I've already started trying to implement it into my gameplay but I'm not technically consistent enough with it yet to rely on it.
Which is why you should try canceling the dash attack into a roll instead. I swear it's "easier"

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Considering making a little video series showcasing ROBotic tricksies.
And perhaps going into detail of its practicality.
Would anyone support this idea?

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
That sounds like a fantastic idea. Create a playlist on YouTube, but be sure to include Luckylime's videos as well as T0MMY's.
That should be the "go to" place to look up ROB stuff.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Okay.
I'm game then.
If only one person was interested I'd do it. I love sharing.
I want this to be something collaborative tho. And I will probably have to start off using a handheld quality, but if videos like this are okay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYuEYcvImyI
then all should be fine for now.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Yeah that's fine. If I knew how to record stuff I would make a video. But I no know how to. =(

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
If R.O.B. is at the edge (not hanging) while holding his gyro, and jumps/tosses his gyro straight down (while facing the blastzone), it will just hit the ground near the edge. But, if he faces the opposite direction, it will go "through" the edge and continue down to the lower blastzone. Weird. =O

I'm the worst at explaining things lawl.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
If R.O.B. is at the edge (not hanging) while holding his gyro, and jumps/tosses his gyro straight down (while facing the blastzone), it will just hit the ground near the edge. But, if he faces the opposite direction, it will go "through" the edge and continue down to the lower blastzone. Weird. =O

I'm the worst at explaining things lawl.
I get ya. That's interesting haha
Oh ROB, you're so weird.

8Bitman

Smash Master
It's because R.O.B's D-Throw goes more toward his back than his front.

It's another reason why it is easy to set up Combo's by D-Throwing your Gyro into FootStool's/other attacks because since the Gyro is further back it gives us more time to set up our attack. ^_^

Top Bottom