• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB's Bag of Tricks (New Discovery? 8-13-11 Post 61)

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hello, beepos and beepas!

There are many times after I complete a match in a tournament and I find myself saying "why did I forget to do this?" or "why didn't I remember that I had an answer for that?"

And I'm sure that you too find yourself getting narrow-minded during an intense set and your brain tends to only remember a few things out of the many that your robot can do.

Well, we definitely aren't Pikachu where we have over 100 quirky ATs up our sleeve, but I believe we should compile what we do have and work on finding more.

These don't necessarily have to be Advanced Techniques, this list could even include footage of what to do in various situations.

But I do require footage for everything. Whether you already have some to show me so I can put a useful link in this post or if you describe it to my so I can apply it in a video myself, let's do everything we can to make this compilation as helpful as possible.

Since the thread is new, I'm not quite sure how I'm going to organize it yet, but I will somehow branch things off into sections such as Gyro Usage, etc.
Here are a few examples to get us started:

1.)Ledge Boosting
Application(s): Example1, Example2 (not exactly a ledge boost, but quite similar considering the situation)

2.) Ledge Boost B-Reversal
Application(s): Example1

3.) Boost Hogging
Application(s): Example1

4.) Dash Attack Shield Cancelling - ROB Style
Original: DASC

To be continued...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Would cancelling a gyro charge into a glidetoss in the Diddy MU count as a trick? I think it does. :)

Also that is my post 2k. GG Robots and good luck. Keep on reppin! As I don't ;)

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
This thread will break down the smallest of things such as follow-ups out of dash attack to even fancier, more difficult things that are considered way more situational. This is just something to hopefully refresh all of your ROB players out there...it can even remind you of something to work on.

Please, beepos, don't hesitate to contribute. Whether it's a common maneuver or not, it can remind me to add it.

Let's get ROB good.
<3

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Those tricks are fine, it might be a little before I throw them into the list.

@Zwarm, my favorite is the thing reaper does at 1:03 since it seems most practical... the frigate one makes me curious due to DI...

8Bitman

Smash Master
Wow so that's how you boost Up+B... I never knew how to. Now I know and knowing is half the battle, G.I.JOE!!!! =DDD

Thanks Eric, best set of tricks I have seen since reversing R.O.B's gyro. =P

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
If you want to pick up the gyro and do an U-smash, do a DACUS. We have different ways to start the D-tilt lock. We have certain "infinites" on some characters, one of them being Wario and so on...

Also, please come to AiB, I miss you guys there! =/
Don't care about Wi-Fi or anything, we have t0mmy there who finds new AT's all the time.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I will be pulling stuff from AiB too, ccst. I try not to ignore those threads and I know that t0mmy posts useful things and I try to keep track of that, but it's just more common for me to get on SWF. xD

T0MMY

Smash Master
Great post, R.O.B. has so many options and techniques it's hard to keep track of all of them and even more difficult to execute them at the time in a match. Good idea making a post like this.
When I was going over some of the more standard techniques with sneakytako (MLG Columbus) I realized I was completely overlooking a lot of basic techniques that would have worked better in favor of more advanced techniques. It helped me change my style so much I threw everyone off their game at the next region and I nabbed 1st (this was the regional right before Felix took 3rd at MLG Raleigh).

8Bitman

Smash Master
Is there a footstool involved?

Or are you just throwing the top down then instantly spiking? Or are you throwing the top down, then footstooling, then spiking?

T0MMY

Smash Master
I named the AT "Super Burner".
I keep the name "burner" in all the techniques using the Robo Burner to show it's part of the Burner canon.

There was a USA vs Canada crew battle at our last regional and I took out Breez's MK using the Super Burner to the astonishment of the Canadians as well as a lot of the WA players. Canada knows of this tech now ;^D

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Lol it's so funny when people see it for the first time.
They're all like "Wtf?!"
I thought you had called it Super Booster for some reason. At least I thought it said that in the blog.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
*throws in two pennies*

Here's something, though situational:

Grab your opponent at the edge of the stage and grab release them off the edge. Immediately run off stage and Bair/Nair for a possible stage spike (depending on opponent position off the ledge and MU). Just a thought.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
uhhhh that won't work against anyone
I suppose when I type the word "situational" in my post, I guess that doesn't count, now does it. At any rate, I have done it before a couple of times, and it works well as a surprise kill, but it goes without saying to never attempt it a second time, as smart players will know not to get caught by things like that more than once.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Chibo it works, as Sol said though it's never determined, but no one will expect R.O.B to fall so fast toward them.

And don't Bair/or Nair.

I always Fair and just gimp them. If you try and Bair they might wait and it was a waste. And Nair is just stupid, you have to fall directly at them and it's too risky.

I always just immedietely just run off, and fast-fall a Fair.
If if hits them back (Stage Spike) if it hits them foward (Gimp) if it doesnt hit them at all, then you phucked up.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Chibo it works, as Sol said though it's never determined, but no one will expect R.O.B to fall so fast toward them.

And don't Bair/or Nair.

I always Fair and just gimp them. If you try and Bair they might wait and it was a waste. And Nair is just stupid, you have to fall directly at them and it's too risky.

I always just immedietely just run off, and fast-fall a Fair.
If if hits them back (Stage Spike) if it hits them foward (Gimp) if it doesnt hit them at all, then you phucked up.
Fair does come out faster, but to turn around and then jump off the stage to do so would give the opponent enough time to recover, unless you can somehow run off stage and Up B the other direction for the Fair stage spike, but I still feel the Bair route may be faster overall. Of course, I haven't tried the Fair strat, so I'm just going by hypothesis here.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Progress will be made on this thread soon. Just getting my classes situated atm.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Fair does come out faster, but to turn around and then jump off the stage to do so would give the opponent enough time to recover, unless you can somehow run off stage and Up B the other direction for the Fair stage spike, but I still feel the Bair route may be faster overall. Of course, I haven't tried the Fair strat, so I'm just going by hypothesis here.
You're not turning around. You will hit them even if you aren't facing them. That has never happened to you in a match where you hit your opponent with the back of your Fair??

As soon as they are dropped just instantly run off the edge, fast-fall a Fair and either way you hit them, they will get gimped, or stage spiked. ^_^

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
You're not turning around. You will hit them even if you aren't facing them. That has never happened to you in a match where you hit your opponent with the back of your Fair??

As soon as they are dropped just instantly run off the edge, fast-fall a Fair and either way you hit them, they will get gimped, or stage spiked. ^_^
Ohhoho, well played, 8Bit. That has happened before, where the opponent gets hit by the back part of the Fair, though that's usually rare for me. To intentionally hit them with said hitbox, I imagine it may take some practice no? Still, I see what you mean. :3

8Bitman

Smash Master
Plus you never need to stage spike them, I mean R.O.B is known for his angry gimps. =P

Just continue the Fair combo if you hit them that way. I never intentionally stage spike them. I just fast-fall a Fair.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
If you dash-dance (while holding the gyro) and immediately glide-toss, you have a better chance recatching it!

8Bitman

Smash Master
Yeah that's because of the speed. But it is hard to tell which direction you will be going or throw the Gryo in when Dash-Dancing. O__o

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
It does seem hard, but after randomly dash dancing a lot like I do during my matches (when I'm" trying") it's become more natural for me to do more things out of it...that I'm in control of xD

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Dashdancing is kinda bad, gonna get ya tripped -> grabbed -> in da air -> juggled -> gg'd

8Bitman

Smash Master
I'm sorry about your loss -LzR-, would you like to talk about it? *gets out notepad.

:awesome:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Err what D:

I can't lose with Rob, it's hard to lose when you don't play.

Anyways, just saying dashdancing is risky with tripping in the game. You are basically just increasing your chances to trip.

Top Bottom