• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin's new final smash...

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
What's it gonna be? Daddy Chrom has become an independent fighter, so Robin is gonna have to find a new final smash. What will it be? Will it be a giant spell? Will it be something darker? Something...
Grima related? Like a Grima transformation or summoning? Seriously Chrom just ditched Robin, their all alone now...
I think the later would be cool if not hella spoilery.

Personally I would love it if Robin married their opponent and made them lose their will to fight with a heartwarming confession scene. I can see it now.

DK: I'll shower you with coconut cream pies.....

Robin and Donkey Kong have reached support rank S! (Please refrain from thinking about the implications.)

In all seriousness I am really curious to see what they do with my favorite tactician, and even if the new final smash is lame, being able to play as Chrom will be worth it.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
That seems very likely for :ultrobin to do (your spoiler option anyway). Alternatively, he could utilize something like this:

He can use one, or a combination of, the legendary tomes that can be found in various chapters of the game. This can include the explosive Valflame, the wind storm Forseti, the giant thunderbolt Mjollnjr, Grima's Truth and the Book of Naga.

Speaking of Grima's Truth, he could use this tome to invoke Grima's power and unleash Expiration on the target.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
That seems very likely for :ultrobin to do (your spoiler option anyway). Alternatively, he could utilize something like this:

He can use one, or a combination of, the legendary tomes that can be found in various chapters of the game. This can include the explosive Valflame, the wind storm Forseti, the giant thunderbolt Mjollnjr, Grima's Truth and the Book of Naga.

Speaking of Grima's Truth, he could use this tome to invoke Grima's power and unleash Expiration on the target.
Book of Naga would be legit sick and would fit like a glove if they wanted to keep Robin more heroic.
But Grima's truth would be much more fitting and a great way to include Grima without directly using him. Grant it, it might be visually less impressive.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They could always just keep Pair Up and replace Chrom with Morgan. The marriage idea is hilarious though.

a64.png

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'm inclined to believe Morgan will take Chroms place in pair up as well. Or Chrome from the Fire Embull, who has been demoted from playable status. Or Alfonso.

Personally, I'd like to see Tiki be apart of the Pair Up Smash, with Robin's animations giving off a purple aura from fell dragon influence, and Tiki glowing with a white aura from Naga's blessing. Then right when they land a final hit, the marks of Grima and Naga appear behind them. How cool would that be? Tiki openly states that they have similar powers, just on polar ends of the light-dark scale. And Tiki herself is on the game's cover and is probably the second most prominent character storywise in the whole series, edging out Ike and Camus.

So yeah that's what I'd really like to see. But I'll accept Morgan.

Arthur97

Smash Master
The Morgans are probably the safest bet. Then, one day when/if modding becomes a thing, someone can mod female Morgan's hair blue.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Robin could still keep his Final Smash, but instead of Chrom, he would be paired with a different character.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Book of Naga would be legit sick and would fit like a glove if they wanted to keep Robin more heroic.
But Grima's truth would be much more fitting and a great way to include Grima without directly using him. Grant it, it might be visually less impressive.
Robin is a heroic character. Robin HATES that character and would never use that power in Smash. It's completely out-of-character that it appears in Code Name STEAM.
People, seriously, Robin defies Grima at every single point in Awakening. The only time they ever even consider submitting to him is when he brings the entire army to 1HP and basically holds them hostage, and even then, it's entirely optional and the instant Grima goes back on the bargain, Robin resumes fighting, even if you submitted!
Hell, even in a timeline where Grima has dominated them, Robin continues fighting him. And even in the main story, where Grima claims the future Robin willingly surrendered.....Robin was fighting until Chrom died, and are you REALLY going to take that lying snake's words at face value?!
There's using Dark Magic (Nosferatu) and there's using that power. Robin doesn't even use that power in FE Warriors!

Okay, that rant out of the way, I think Robin's just going to get a new Pair-Up partner, like Lissa, Cordelia, or Morgan.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I really like the idea of Robin getting Ignis as a final smash. Chrom gets his iconic skill, so it would fit well if Robin got his/her's as well.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Id (Purpose) as this week's song makes me think that they might finally give the Robins a focus and hopefully say what the Final Smash is. Truth be told, I'm a bit nervous as to what it may be.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'd say keep Pair Up as Robin's Final Smash, with Morgan as his supporting unit.

In Chapter 3: Warrior Realm of Fire Emblem Awakening, Robin himself comes up with the Pair Up tactic, which was inspired by seeing Chrom and Sumia riding together on her pegasus from the Lovebirds cutscene. Here's the script if you're curious.
Robin
Hmm...

Chrom
What is it, Robin?

Robin
I've been thinking about how you rode with Sumia earlier... Do our units always have to fight one-on-one?

Chrom
Are you suggesting we pair up? That's an interesting thought... I admit, I'd resemble a pincushion right now if it weren't for Sumia and her mount.

Robin
Exactly. By pairing up, units could lend each other added offense and defense... It might also allow quicker soldiers to ferry slower units great distances... Yes... Yes! I'm sure of it. This opens up all sorts of strategic possibilities! We should try it whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Therefore, Pair Up is very fitting of his character, since incorporating
Grima
into his Final Smash would be very out-of-character as Maikou once stated before. Ignis would be nice and all, but Pair Up redeveloped a mechanic into an entirely new one, which would later become a recurring mechanic in the franchise.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'd say keep Pair Up as Robin's Final Smash, with Morgan as his supporting unit.

In Chapter 3: Warrior Realm of Fire Emblem Awakening, Robin himself comes up with the Pair Up tactic, which was inspired by seeing Chrom and Sumia riding together on her pegasus from the Lovebirds cutscene. Here's the script if you're curious.
Robin
Hmm...

Chrom
What is it, Robin?

Robin
I've been thinking about how you rode with Sumia earlier... Do our units always have to fight one-on-one?

Chrom
Are you suggesting we pair up? That's an interesting thought... I admit, I'd resemble a pincushion right now if it weren't for Sumia and her mount.

Robin
Exactly. By pairing up, units could lend each other added offense and defense... It might also allow quicker soldiers to ferry slower units great distances... Yes... Yes! I'm sure of it. This opens up all sorts of strategic possibilities! We should try it whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Therefore, Pair Up is very fitting of his character, since incorporating
Grima
into his Final Smash would be very out-of-character as Maikou once stated before. Ignis would be nice and all, but Pair Up redeveloped a mechanic into an entirely new one, which would later become a recurring mechanic in the franchise.
The Morgans would be great, but they are also very unimportant overall. I'm afraid of Pair Up too thanks to a certain character being thrown around for it.

On the other hand, Ignis just uses the critical animation. Technically, Aether may use generic animations too, but at least they're tied together.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
The Morgans would be great, but they are also very unimportant overall. I'm afraid of Pair Up too thanks to a certain character being thrown around for it.

On the other hand, Ignis just uses the critical animation. Technically, Aether may use generic animations too, but at least they're tied together.
I still think it's fair game. Morgan making an appearance in Pair Up would be more of a cameo than of relevancy or importance in Awakening. They COULD bring in a generic soldier unit in Chrom's place, but... I'd much rather they use Morgan.

Funny thing is, I was going to bring up that point about Ignis, but that was before I decided to make my post about Pair Up. I don't think it would hurt if they took an animation from the GBA games, like they did with Arcfire. The crit animations always had the unit summoning symbols and whatnot, like they were actually casting a spell. If they took inspiration from that, then Ignis would look much more like Final Smash material than if they used Awakening's standard tome crit animation.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I still think it's fair game. Morgan making an appearance in Pair Up would be more of a cameo than of relevancy or importance in Awakening. They COULD bring in a generic soldier unit in Chrom's place, but... I'd much rather they use Morgan.

Funny thing is, I was going to bring up that point about Ignis, but that was before I decided to make my post about Pair Up. I don't think it would hurt if they took an animation from the GBA games, like they did with Arcfire. The crit animations always had the unit summoning symbols and whatnot, like they were actually casting a spell. If they took inspiration from that, then Ignis would look much more like Final Smash material than if they used Awakening's standard tome crit animation.
True, but I'm not sure if they'd do it. If they do, I kind of want their hair colors to change with the Robins. Not necessarily to match, but at least change.

So...magic Ignis? I know they lean toward magic in Smash, but I feel like the sword aspect is severely neglected.

Oh, and as for my statement about Aether, playing recently, Chrom and Lucina perform at least the first hit differently, but that may be due to them having different animations despite being the same class. I suppose I could go around reclassing Morgan to see how she does it, but in any case, Chrom does Aether in a manner that is unique to him as even the other lord/great lord in Awakening does the move differently though I think Chrom is still using a generic animation for the Sol part (which I don't think is different than a normal attack animation, but I don't get those much anymore) and the same Luna animation.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
True, but I'm not sure if they'd do it. If they do, I kind of want their hair colors to change with the Robins. Not necessarily to match, but at least change.

So...magic Ignis? I know they lean toward magic in Smash, but I feel like the sword aspect is severely neglected.

Oh, and as for my statement about Aether, playing recently, Chrom and Lucina perform at least the first hit differently, but that may be due to them having different animations despite being the same class. I suppose I could go around reclassing Morgan to see how she does it, but in any case, Chrom does Aether in a manner that is unique to him as even the other lord/great lord in Awakening does the move differently though I think Chrom is still using a generic animation for the Sol part (which I don't think is different than a normal attack animation, but I don't get those much anymore) and the same Luna animation.
Well, Morgan's hair comes from Robin's spouse's hair color. So having their hair color change to anything other than their default black hair, whether it's completely random or complimentary hair colors, would open up a lot of speculation to Robin's spouse. And Intelligent Systems/Nintendo likes to leave their games open-ended so that no player will ever feel that their choices are non-canonical, so I can't see them doing anything FE related that would hint at something being more canon than the other. I don't know. I don't really have a strong argument against this, so that's all I've got.

I'm not sure how they would incorporate Ignis in any way, shape, or form in Smash. The skill uses both the Strength and Magic stat of Robin, which isn't used or displayed in Smash. If it was some sort of "transformation" Final Smash, where all of Robin's attacks would technically get stronger, maybe it'd work. But since they're going for quicker Final Smashes now, I can't see them using Ignis correctly, unless they would make Robin emanate in a flame-like aura like in Awakening and have him cast a bigger and stronger Thoron spell. If there's any chance of Ignis making it in as Robin's Final Smash, it'd have to be magical.

Even if Ignis doesn't have a completely unique animation, the animation from the game should do just fine, I guess. They could include Robin's critical cut-in as well, but I don't know how they would manage that with Robin's alts. Chrom seems to have his in his own Final Smash, and chances are he's bound to have hair-changing alternate costumes as well, so Robin could just be fine using his default male and female critical cut-ins.

KatKit

Smash Lord
If Chrom is on the field, Alfonzo will take his place.

Alfonzo: Leave it to me.

In all seriousness, I have no idea, but I like the ideas in this thread. Robin and Peach's final smashes are the two updated ones that I'm most curious about.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, Morgan's hair comes from Robin's spouse's hair color. So having their hair color change to anything other than their default black hair, whether it's completely random or complimentary hair colors, would open up a lot of speculation to Robin's spouse. And Intelligent Systems/Nintendo likes to leave their games open-ended so that no player will ever feel that their choices are non-canonical, so I can't see them doing anything FE related that would hint at something being more canon than the other. I don't know. I don't really have a strong argument against this, so that's all I've got.

I'm not sure how they would incorporate Ignis in any way, shape, or form in Smash. The skill uses both the Strength and Magic stat of Robin, which isn't used or displayed in Smash. If it was some sort of "transformation" Final Smash, where all of Robin's attacks would technically get stronger, maybe it'd work. But since they're going for quicker Final Smashes now, I can't see them using Ignis correctly, unless they would make Robin emanate in a flame-like aura like in Awakening and have him cast a bigger and stronger Thoron spell. If there's any chance of Ignis making it in as Robin's Final Smash, it'd have to be magical.

Even if Ignis doesn't have a completely unique animation, the animation from the game should do just fine, I guess. They could include Robin's critical cut-in as well, but I don't know how they would manage that with Robin's alts. Chrom seems to have his in his own Final Smash, and chances are he's bound to have hair-changing alternate costumes as well, so Robin could just be fine using his default male and female critical cut-ins.
Well, they'd clearly keep default to match their parents' defaults, but, yeah, I guess some people would read too much into it.

Don't the cut ins just use the portraits and therefore just that render? If you're referring to the Awakening style, I doubt they'll come back since two cut-ins would be kind of redundant. At least if there are no assisting characters.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Well, they'd clearly keep default to match their parents' defaults, but, yeah, I guess some people would read too much into it.

Don't the cut ins just use the portraits and therefore just that render? If you're referring to the Awakening style, I doubt they'll come back since two cut-ins would be kind of redundant. At least if there are no assisting characters.
I was in fact referring to the Awakening style, yes. But you're probably right. It's a shame, though. I really like the cut-ins, they're so dramatic, and they definitely fit the Final Smash feel. But if three characters could have Critical Hit as their Final Smash, the Awakening trio having their own cut-ins wouldn't hurt, right?

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
The spoiler argument doesn't hold too much water when you look at Zelda from Melee. A single special move from her was a spoiler. Awakening is a pretty old game today and while it isn't as popular as OoT was and the spoiler was about as widespread as "Aerith dies"(despite not being as vocal), I don't think Grima being the new FS would break fan minds.

Character breaking? Sure. Sakurai really likes to characterize the fighters, so I would not be surprised if that was his reasoning it doesn't come to be.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
The spoiler argument doesn't hold too much water when you look at Zelda from Melee. A single special move from her was a spoiler. Awakening is a pretty old game today and while it isn't as popular as OoT was and the spoiler was about as widespread as "Aerith dies"(despite not being as vocal), I don't think Grima being the new FS would break fan minds.

Character breaking? Sure. Sakurai really likes to characterize the fighters, so I would not be surprised if that was his reasoning it doesn't come to be.
He's kind of hit and miss with FE characters though. In addition to Lucina, I've read that Roy is out of character too. Even Marth's Japanese lines seemed a little too...egotistical?

aarchak

Smash Ace
He's kind of hit and miss with FE characters though. In addition to Lucina, I've read that Roy is out of character too. Even Marth's Japanese lines seemed a little too...egotistical?
Marth's lines that suggest that are mostly mistranslations, for example "Everyone, look at me!" is actually supposed to be "Everyone, watch over me!", which is much more in line with his character. But yeah, I think Robin is actually the only character Sakurai has gotten right in character (well, maybe Corrin too). Roy isn't hotheaded in FE6, he's very levelheaded from what I've played, and Ike gives no sympathy in smash, despite his kindness being one of his defining traits.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, the sympathy line is meant for his enemies, and he does strike me as the type that once you've made it clear you aren't turning back, he won't hold back. Ike could be a maybe.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Ike is kind of a typical shonen male personality, with the exception of him not being a total idiot and a strong capability of learning and growing(which PoR did well). Still, it's kind of hard to define a true personality that sets him apart from other FE heroes outside of how and where he was raised.

What I had meant by characterization is through the movement/kit designs that tell the character. Robin is a bookworm who rarely exercises, so it 'makes sense' he would be so sluggish in battle and is very vulnerable to speedy combatants, but at the same time, his 'fighter character' serves as a boon for players who like to keep a calm mind and strategize - just like a tactician.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I bet Robin actually had Chrom's army carry him around to the next town's library.

Arthur97

Smash Master
You joke, but Smash has skewed their representation. Since Smash 4, both Robins have been almost exclusively magic based as opposed to the balanced approach they originally had. While their moveset may capture tactics and therefore FE well, it isn't wholly accurate.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
You joke, but Smash has skewed their representation. Since Smash 4, both Robins have been almost exclusively magic based as opposed to the balanced approach they originally had. While their moveset may capture tactics and therefore FE well, it isn't wholly accurate.
Because Robin's magical aspect is the far more unique and interesting part of them; hence why both Heroes and Warriors also have them exclusively using tomes.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Robin's often shown to be much better at sorcery than he is at swordsmanship. If I remember correctly, in Premonition: Invisible Threads, Robin starts off with a B-rank in tomes (wielding Thoron) and a C-rank in swords (wielding a Steel Sword). That, and he has an awkward battle stance when wielding swords, as well as weird attacking animations.

Robin's one of the very few protagonists that can cast magic, with the two others being Celica and Micaiah, so it's no surprise that they often depict him exclusively wielding tomes in the games that he makes an appearance in. He's even got his own eponymous tome in Fates, just like Celica and Micaiah do in Awakening, with them being Celica's Gale and Micaiah's Pyre, respectively.

I've always thought that the reason as to why Robin is so slow in Smash is because of how he has to carry several weapons, surpassing the usual personal inventory limit of 5 weapons. He wields the Bronze Sword, the Levin Sword, Arcfire, Elwind, Thunder, and Nosferatu. And if you really want to split hairs, he wields Elthunder, Arcthunder, and Thoron as well. He also exclusively wields Bolganone in Pair Up, but he might've just taken it from Chrom's convoy. He's pretty much over encumbered, hence his slow speed.

It's true that he rarely exercises—he doesn't have as much endurance as Chrom as revealed in Chapter 7: Incursion. This is backed up in his C Support with Frederick, where it's shown that he doesn't have as much stamina as him either. Tharja's C Support with Frederick makes a slight callback to this, where Robin is displayed having difficulty in keeping up with Frederick and his rigorous and grueling training regimen.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Robin's often shown to be much better at sorcery than he is at swordsmanship. If I remember correctly, in Premonition: Invisible Threads, Robin starts off with a B-rank in tomes (wielding Thoron) and a C-rank in swords (wielding a Steel Sword). That, and he has an awkward battle stance when wielding swords, as well as weird attacking animations.

Robin's one of the very few protagonists that can cast magic, with the two others being Celica and Micaiah, so it's no surprise that they often depict him exclusively wielding tomes in the games that he makes an appearance in. He's even got his own eponymous tome in Fates, just like Celica and Micaiah do in Awakening, with them being Celica's Gale and Micaiah's Pyre, respectively.

I've always thought that the reason as to why Robin is so slow in Smash is because of how he has to carry several weapons, surpassing the usual personal inventory limit of 5 weapons. He wields the Bronze Sword, the Levin Sword, Arcfire, Elwind, Thunder, and Nosferatu. And if you really want to split hairs, he wields Elthunder, Arcthunder, and Thoron as well. He also exclusively wields Bolganone in Pair Up, but he might've just taken it from Chrom's convoy. He's pretty much over encumbered, hence his slow speed.

It's true that he rarely exercises—he doesn't have as much endurance as Chrom as revealed in Chapter 7: Incursion. This is backed up in his C Support with Frederick, where it's shown that he doesn't have as much stamina as him either. Tharja's C Support with Frederick makes a slight callback to this, where Robin is displayed having difficulty in keeping up with Frederick and his rigorous and grueling training regimen.
Frederick's support is likely meant to be early on. However, Male Robin at least, displays a drive to improve his swordplay with Lon'qu to the point of potentially developing an all new style. And Chapter 7 was shortly after Robin just got thrust into the life of a soldier and hardly had time to adapt. Also bear in mind that the Tactician and Grandmaster classes in Awakening had equal strength and magic growth. It's hardly conclusive that they are out of shape (though there is some more evidence that Male Robin may actually be better with swords as is my headcanon).

M16s PwN

Smash Cadet
TBH, I kind of like Great Thoron from FE Warriors, it certainly has that flashy "straight to the point" style to it. Plus, it just looks dope as heck.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Sigh, since we have an argument-seeking nitpicker, I do recall Anna snarking on M. Robin's less-than desirable physique in his swimwear in the beach DL chapter.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Sigh, since we have an argument-seeking nitpicker, I do recall Anna snarking on M. Robin's less-than desirable physique in his swimwear in the beach DL chapter.
Says the person coming back after two weeks to fire it up again with a single obscure line compared to the harder evidence of raw ability.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Did anyone see if there was one in the Direct? We saw Yoshi's new one but I didn't see one for Robin...

Arthur97

Smash Master
Did anyone see if there was one in the Direct? We saw Yoshi's new one but I didn't see one for Robin...
Sadly no, so unless the Treehouse showed it we are still in the dark.

Yoshi's is pretty sweet though. Nice call back to Melee.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Robin doesn't get a lot of attention. In that direct, he's been only shown during the part where you can "steal tags" from other players, and F!Robin's been shown as a user icon.

That's pretty much all the attention he's ever got. It's safe to say that we're not getting any info on his Final Smash until either launch or his own Fighter of the Day blog post.

Top Bottom