Media Robin Video Critique Thread

Altais

Smash Lord
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Didn't see this kind of thread anywhere in here, so I thought I'd post it. Feel free to post your own videos in here for critical feedback. As for me...

Personally, I'm more likely to save videos in which I lost. After all, the sooner you realise your mistakes, the less likely you are to repeat them. That said, I would benefit more from critical feedback.

Gabriel Esquire

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2880-1949-8293
It's been a while since you posted these, so I imagine that you've already improved your gameplay, but from the videos there are at least a few things that I noticed (please understand that I'm not a very experienced player though, lol; I don't know how "critical" my advice will be).
  • You didn't really push stage control when you hit your opponent; in my experience, it's more effective to close in on them. I think of Robin as a sword character with projectiles, not a projectile character with a sword: I like to keep my opponent within the distance of an uncharged thunder (a good way to practice closer spacing might be to set up a control scheme that doesn't have a special button)
  • Drop down nair can be an effective edge-guarding tool against most characters, even those with very good recoveries like inkling
  • Retreating into Arcfire is more of a mix-up option, it can be dangerous to use in neutral
  • Against inkling, uncharged thunder can be effective at making openings, especially because it isn't always worth it to charge up thunder when both Elthunder and Arcthunder are canceled out by splat bomb
^ That's really all I can think of for improvement, but again, some people might disagree with me​

I liked your use of up-tilt and side-smash to counter aerial splat roller, and you had good pressure with Elthunder. You use tomes more effectively than I do too.

Although I understand your reasoning for saving your losses (I save all my losses too), I don't think anyone would think less of you if you celebrated your victories. Our mistakes are usually less obvious when we win as well, so people are more likely to notice things that you didn't in your gameplay.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Lord
Figured I’d post a few vids of me and see what happens

Er, well, I can’t directly post them here, as I have no way of posting them to YouTube, so you’ll have to watch them on your Switch, so here are the codes:
6WK97VXW
RDG2PYQ3
6WK8LGDM

idk if it’s the most useful footage of me, but whatever, I don’t have much saved and I’m garbage anyway

Altais

Smash Lord
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Sadly, I haven't improved much, due to not playing the game anymore. I was really hoping Smash Ultimate would have better online than Smash 4, but it has the same damn issues; input lag, freezing, etc. After enough frustrating matches, I decided, "To hell with it." To be honest, I don't even care whom gets added as DLC anymore, as I'm pretty much done with this game--at least until the online gets fixed. For the time being, I'm just going to cancel mine online membership, as I'm just throwing money away.

So yeah, from now on I'll probably just watch tournaments for the fun of it.