• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin, Foxtrot, and you.

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
Robin can foxtrot. Yay.

Robin can foxtrot REALLY FAST. Like, if you double tap your joystick, Robin registers BOTH inputs! Think of it like an instant trot. Give insta-trot a shot! Mash that circlepad in one direction and you'll see it.

What this means:

In 3DS edition, You can use this instead of a standard dash. It -feels- faster, can't verify this; but it's also safer than a dedicated dash thanks to: pivots, perfect pivots, etc.

In Wii U edition, where breaking your circlepad is generally not a factor (Because you're using a Gamecube controller, riggghhhttt????? :D) This makes Robin's mindgame DEADLY. When mixed up with Dash Dances, oh my goddess, the destruction you reign upon your opponent's brain will be apocalyptic.

Keep in mind, your insta-trot is not too special. You gotta share this trait with a few others, because reasons.

Other characters that got some trot love:
Donkey Kong
Peach
Rosalina and Luma
Zelda
Ganondorf (Although supposedly useless on him)
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Lucina

Last edited:

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
I'll give this a try when I get home. Though...I may need some tutoring on how to foxtrot in the first place XD

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
I'll give this a try when I get home. Though...I may need some tutoring on how to foxtrot in the first place XD
just go :GCL::GCL::GCL:to foxtrot left or :GCR::GCR::GCR: to foxtrot right and thats how it's done its really useful for mindgames like Dark lady said.

Hong

The Strongest
Foxtrot is essentially using the start of the dash animation, but not the dash itself.

It took its name because Fox in Melee has an incredible initial dash animation.

AlienWarhead

Smash Cadet
It seems to be working by tapping in one direction over and over again, I guess Robin is a bit faster, but it's hard to tell with Robin's slow dash speed. Sometimes I can forward smash out of foxtrot, are there other advantages to foxtrotting?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sometimes did this out of instict and while it stuck for me on Pit and Kirby, it seemed good on Robin, but strangely forgot about it. Might give it a try soon again and add it on my repertoire...

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Anyone find any use for this now the Wii U version is out? I tried doing anything with it but it's very tricky. Gotta work on that dexterity!

It seems like it might be useful to fake-out your opponent, at the most basic, but it must have more tactical uses than that. Such as doing a dash away to dodge an attack followed by a dash toward the opponent who has whiffed, and follow it up with a dash attack? With this tech, that move might take all of 1/2 second.

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
It seems to be a tad bit faster to me. I've hit some max distance arcfires and have been able to follow up on it using FoxTrot where I would miss just using the run.

This isn't a concrete example and it may just be my mind or even the opponent's DI, I'll have to do some more testing.

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
Maybe. Who knows. I just use it to get around now and need to work a bit harder on pivoting to cancel it. The full run is really slow and, even with shield cancelling, just doesn't feel very effective unless i'm up against Link or Samus. And also, you can do things like perfect pivoting out of the insta-trot.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
That actually might be a very good point, Dark Lady; why would we Robins, with our so-very-slow dash speed, not utilize the mode of transport that gives us more options? Even if Dashing and Trotting have approximately the same speed, it might be beneficial for us to always be Trotting. That logic might even render regular Dashing-across-the-screen almost completely obsolete.

Top Bottom