• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin Combo Thread!

plumpythepanda

Smash Cadet
NNID
plumpythepanda
3DS FC
3325-1502-8082
I just wanted to see if anyone has found any effective combos with robin, and what they might be? Any posts will be added to the OP so that people will be able to see them easier in the future!

Arcfire+F-air
FSair (Levin Sword) -> DownGrab -> Fair -> Fair (From 0% to around 39%)
FSair -> DownGrab -> Uair (From 0% to around 30%)
FSair -> Nosferatu (Depends on current % and mashing)

Dthrow -> UAir
Arcfire - FS-air - f-air
Arcfire - f-air - f-air
Arcthunder - Nosferatu

Last edited:

Frenzy

Smash Apprentice
I've been doing arc fire and then thoron. But only do this if the arch fire hits them on the ground, if they are mid jump, the thoron will travel below them.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Robin's quite hard to combo with... however I've been messing around with him and found some intersting stuff that on paper (tutorial) work quite well. Also, they are all strictly at 0% to very low percentages.

On a grounded oponent:
or
and also

For this to work tough you need to short-hop, not fast-fall and FSair almost as soon as you jump, otherwise the landing-lag of the move will stop you. Its because of the auto-cancel thing Robin's aerials have if you dont fast-fall. Its worth nothing to mention that depending on how close or far away you hit the starting FSair, you might whiff the grab. Needles to say as well, you need around 3 uses of the Levin sword because the bronce sword KB sucks. Might be possible to do it with bronce at high percentages maybe... need to test it.

Also, I've tested these against lvl.9 CPU's and it works, tough I am also positive VIing it heavily influences how easy or hard it can be to follow it. Need to test it against human oponentes. It is a neat looking string and a great way to start a match.

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
Okay i'm probably just drawing a blank right now but what the heck is a "FSair"? I know what Fair,Dair,Nair,Uair are but I don't get what "FS" is. Is that Foot stool? :/

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Forward smash aerial. Robin has the quality that if he does his aerials with a tilt, he uses the bronce sword instead of the Levin sword. I pretty much just made that term on the spot (Sair).

Robin is pretty much the only character that makes a distinction on his aerials depending on if you either tilt or smash your attack, so I think it is important to call them out separately because of how different it is to either tilt or smash in the air with him.

Last edited:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Tested out your combos, Low Key. Liked LS Fair -> Grab.

However, it doesn't seem to be a legitimate combo unless it's below 2% (or potentially only at 0%). And the Dthrow out of the grab does not combo into LS Fair or LS Uair or... well, anything from what I could gather. Were you testing against a human or a cpu, just wondering? It's definitely a nice string, if your opponent doesn't expect it. But it's definitely not legitimate.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Yes, the low %s are pretty strict. I've tried it against the CPU only. Have tried it against people, but because of how hard it is to land a FSair (mind if I call it this way?, lol) on a grounded human opponent and also, given how restrictive it is on its percentage, I've not managed to test it against other people.

As for linking the Downthrow, the timing and the zoning is very important. You need to act as soon as you recover from the grab. Also, as I mentioned before, VIing seems to affect this heavily. Against lvl.9 CPU's however I usually can land at least 1 FSair before they get to far away. Might allow for arcfire follow-up? Uair and a second fair are apparently only possible if the opponent doesnt VI's or VI's in your favour.

Doroco

Smash Cadet
fireball ->lightning f-air -> f-air, the second f-air is a really specific %
fireball -> normal f-air -> another f-air, only works at really low %
level 3 lightning -> that healing spell (or any other ariel)

landing lightning f-air ->another f-air
air f-air into another f-air

landing lightning/normal u-air into up tilt/up smash/whatever air attack you want
lightning or normal will combo into one of those depending on %

forward throw into fully charged lightning, works almost all the time, except on floaty people

Also i thought that the arials used the last sword you used.
I too have d-throw into u-air at high %s

Tyrantt

Smash Rookie
I just wanted to see if anyone has found any effective combos with robin, and what they might be? Any posts will be added to the OP so that people will be able to see them easier in the future!

Arcfire+F-air

Dthrow -> UAir
Arcfire - FS-air - f-air
Arcfire - f-air - f-air
Arcthunder - Nosferatu
A couple questions if you dont mind.. what is downgrab? is that referring to grabbing then pushing down or grabbing him in air then throwing him down?

also, with the arcfire + Fair, is there a trick to jumping to do the Fair? I try to jump and Fair from that short distance, but i just dash forward instead.

how do you FSair and then FSair a second time? wouldnt you have knocked him back (is the acronym for that KB?)

and how do you FSair and then Nosferatu? cant seem to be able to do it.

also if you could post a vid with these combos, that would be pretty awesome :D

plumpythepanda

Smash Cadet
NNID
plumpythepanda
3DS FC
3325-1502-8082
A couple questions if you dont mind.. what is downgrab? is that referring to grabbing then pushing down or grabbing him in air then throwing him down?

also, with the arcfire + Fair, is there a trick to jumping to do the Fair? I try to jump and Fair from that short distance, but i just dash forward instead.

how do you FSair and then FSair a second time? wouldnt you have knocked him back (is the acronym for that KB?)

and how do you FSair and then Nosferatu? cant seem to be able to do it.

also if you could post a vid with these combos, that would be pretty awesome :D
I'm just compiling these from what everyone else is saying. For the 2 FSairs you just have to go forward.
And with the FSair then nosferatu you have to wait for them to land. Well thats when i tried it at least.
I can't post a video of all these they're just for reference.
For the Fair after the arc fire you do just do it lightly.
a down grab is a down throw.

VonDarkmoon

Smash Apprentice
F-throw -> Thoron. Works at mid percentages on most characters and high percents on mid-heavyweights. On lighter characters, depending on DI, may require a short-hop before the Thoron.

Doroco

Smash Cadet
arc fire > arc fire :3
arc fire > FSair > arc fire kinda works

also you can buffer inputs during the recoil animation of attacks (the animation after all the hits are done) including dashes and jumps, since arc fire has such long recoil you can easily put in a dash and jump afterwards, which makes comboing easier

also the zero% combos with throws (except the thoron one) dont work past the throw

Last edited:

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if it's a "true" combo, but the other day I landed Arcfire -> Arcthunder-> D-Throw -> USair for the kill. Pretty sure the last hit could have been dodged (but it felt so GOOOOD!)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, most of these are strings, not combos. And most of the others that are combos are dependent on when Archfire/Archthunder hits the opponent, as well as how close Robin is to them when the move connects. If it hits too soon and you're still in cooldown while they're in hitstun, you're not going to be landing most of these "combos". And if they're too far, you won't be able to reach them in time.

As for Dthrow... I'm pretty sure that Dthrow doesn't combo into anything. At any percents. It's a setup, and they can fall into it, but the opponent is definitely able to air dodge if they predict when you're going to throw it out.

LSFair -> Grab is the only true combo that I see in this. The only sequence where, no matter what, if you land A, you get B. But only at 0%. The rest are situational combos or strings.

Doroco

Smash Cadet
combos in every smash are situational and depend on weight

The hit after arc fire can always be landed if you react to them getting hit by arc fire (unless their not hit by the final hit). Fairs into fairs always works once against certain characters at lower %s

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Wait so does anyone know any actual combos then? I'm new-ish to getting into more competitive play and can't quite figure any out on my own.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
You can basically follow up Arcthunder with anything. Dash Attack, Ftilt, Fsmash, grab, nosferatu etc. I've been using multiple options out of arcthunder to play mind games.

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
You can basically follow up Arcthunder with anything. Dash Attack, Ftilt, Fsmash, grab, nosferatu etc. I've been using multiple options out of arcthunder to play mind games.
Thats what I usually go with. My dash attacks usually miss bc my oppenents are too high. I gotta practoce those aerials and try out nosfertu in this situation.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Just throwing this out there as an option:
Arcfire -> footstool.

I don't know what to do out of it yet, but y'know, opening it up for experimentation.

Lolzormatic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lolzormatic
3DS FC
3909-7512-5969
I'll be posting more combos later on, but these are the ones I've currently found.
LOW PERCENTAGE

-Up tilt>Down Smash>ArcFire/Thoron
. -(ArcFire) 31%
. -(Thoron) 28%
-Up tilt>Up tilt>DSair
. -24%

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I can second that. I distinctly remember landing a few FSairs out of Arcthunder, and I think I might've pulled off an USair once.

Does anyone have other people they can test these on in a lagless situation? We need to keep in mind that combos aren't the end-all be-all like in Melee, but any little extra damage helps...especially if it leads into Robin's kill moves.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Because of that, it would be better to talk about the situations that the combos work. Yes, Archthunder combos into ____, but not if they're at max Archthunder range. If that's the case, you don't have enough time to get to them. The positioning is just as important to go over.

Like this, which was recently posted in the Research Thead:
Could you update and add some details for Elfire and ArcThunder. I've been using this a lot on my opponents and barely see other Robin players use it.
Elfire on hit you can combo Thunder, Elthunder, Thoron. You must be in range for Thunder and Elthunder. Their a small possibility to Grab or Nosferatu but it relies on the opponent moving backwards out of the Elfire close to the ground.
ArcThunder on hit you can have a follow up Dash Attack, very quick Ground/Air Smash or Run and Grab/Quick Short Jump Nosferatu while mid animations. Everything except Nosferatu can be executed close to mid range of the stage. Nosferatu you must be right next the opponent.

sorry i don't have any capture device, phone or camera to prove my statement but test it out on a character in practice and you'll see it actually works. Also, Arcthunder doesn't work on sandbag since it doesn't activate the cross on hit.

Last edited:

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
FSair -> Arcfire -> FSair at 10% to 25% is a thing. It depends on how you space the Levin Sword though, if it's anywhere below the middle, it won't work. Alternatively if you're hurting on Levin Sword uses you could just substitute the last FSair for a dash attack.

It works well on Level 9 CPU but I have yet to try it on actual people.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this is at all helpful, but FSair->Dash Grab->Utilt I've managed at 0%-- mostly against heavier characters, and often followed by an Usmash/Uair, or sometimes the tilt replaced for an aerial. The tilt variation seems to be the only strictly 'combo' one, but I've not been able to test much.

I've also managed Arcfire->Nosferatu a handful of times (originally mentioned in the repository, I believe), but it generally requires the Arcfire to be quite close or otherwise predicting its hit... it was inescapable, certainly, but reliable... perhaps not.

Frenzy

Smash Apprentice
How are you guys comboing off of arcfire? The person is usually flying by the time you are allowed to move again after casting the spell . . .

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
How are you guys comboing off of arcfire? The person is usually flying by the time you are allowed to move again after casting the spell . . .
Well, it's not easy, and you have to be really quick about it. Basically, after firing off the first Arcfire, jump up and fire another Arcfire or a Levin Sword attack at the opponent. If you timed it right and got in the proper position, you should be able to hit them with another attack before they can react. Again, it's pretty tricky to do, but it's quite effective if you can pull it off.

Last edited:

Blueye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1418-7026-6335
Speaking of which, if you space it right you can SH arcfire->Fsmash. If you are an arcfire length away from your opponent you can use this for some guaranteed damage, or possibly even a KO. When the sh arcfire hits you usually land right next to them which leads into an uncontested Fsmash. I have seen Nairo pull this off consistently.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
F-Throw to Thoron works on certain characters, its all weight and % dependent and idk them off the top of my head

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Try using Arcfire-> USmash. This is provided the enemy is attacking overhead, and gets caught in the initial Arcfire frames. Doesn't happen much, but when you catch with it it can do plenty and even get you a KO.

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
i use ArcThunder > Dthrow > (if Damage<50 SmashUp, if Damage>50 UpAir whit Levin Sword)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I came up with the following combos all by mineself, and have found them to be very efficient. Be aware, though, that their efficiency varies, depending on the opponent's damage percentage.

[collapse="Copy/pasted from mine "Robin_Notes.txt" file."]Efficient Combos:
> For Lower %'s:
1). D-tilt, followed by a Dash Attack.
2). D-tilt, followed by an F-tilt.
3). D-tilt, followed by Thunder/Elthunder/Arcthunder/Thoron.
4). D-tilt, followed by Arcfire, then Dash Attack.
5). F-throw, followed by Thunder/Elthunder/Arcthunder/Thoron.
> For High %'s:
1). F-throw, followed by Elthunder/Thoron.
> For Low & High %'s:
1). D-tilt, followed by Thoron.
2). D-tilt, followed by Arcfire.
3). D-tilt, followed by Arcfire, then Thunder/Elthunder/Arcthunder/Thoron.
> Failsafe Protocols:
1). If the opponent Power Shields your D-tilt, dodge roll backwards to avoid being punished.[/collapse]

Top Bottom