• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Tournament Discussion

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
There's always players lurking. Just have to dig them up.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah we do find new players sometimes but they are pretty much always casuals who play with items and quit after losing on their first tournament.

8Bitman

Smash Master
*Sigh* placed 5th at yesterday's tourney, with Xaltis. I went into that tourney feeling I should have won. Falco/ZSS are too good when they pick up momentum, too good of counters.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
*Sigh* placed 5th at yesterday's tourney, with Xaltis. I went into that tourney feeling I should have won. Falco/ZSS are too good when they pick up momentum, too good of counters.
That really sucks.

Does R.O.B. place well in teams then? I've hard feeling that's not the case. In teams there are a lot of MK/Snake/DDD/ZSS/G&W and most of the teams also have at least one counter to R.O.B. (like Lucario and Falco to name a few). R.O.B.'s still better in teams but he requires so much more skill there (not MU wise though). R.O.B. in 2 vs. 1 too good. <3

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Falco is bad in doubles though, so the MU isn't as pronounced. Snake and MK are still problems though. ZSS and DDD not as much, because they lose CG's/infinites/free kills with stun.

I think ROB is really good in doubles, personally. Much better than he is in singles.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I prefer using rob in singles over doubles. Doubles he has much less space to move. If he's teaming with a character with hitboxes everywhere like snake, then he's struggling because he's jsut gonna get hit accidentally by things

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
ROB shines in doubles far more than singles because his biggest common matchups problems are basically negated, getting past spam and control of the field in matchups like Falco and DDD respectively. Neither are worse than even in doubles really.

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
I think ROB is really good in doubles. The lazor/gyro work really well in disrupting the opponents. If you team with someone who has a frame 1-3 attack, then if you hit both of them your teammate gets the advantage.
Also, ROB can tank stocks for a bit longer than a lot of characters. If your teaming with someone who dies really late, like Ike(Ryo), Ganon(Mink) then they can stay in the fight longer and get those kills that are just out of range for ROBs ****ty kill potential.
Teaming with someone with lots of projectiles as well works fantastically, like with Peach(Kyon).
Its so much fun.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
ROBs kill power is underrated in doubles. He has it, the only problem with singles is that it's hard to land them on your opponent if they have any sort of intelligence (nair and usmash) or you find one of the few situations you can frame trap them into it.

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm gonna agree with the ROB being awesome in doubles.

Full stage save move
Infinite recovery along with two projectiles to help recovering team mates
Full stage tap/combo generators
Potent kill moves
Strong 2v1 potential
Powerful ganks
Long survivabilitiy
Strong volley game with a team mate that knows where ROBs fast hits send people

The only downside is that it's easy for them to ignore ROB if you let them ignore you. You have to camp but within range for them to reach you. It's a much different, much more fun game than singles imo.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Yeah, thats all very true. But i love my space way too much, and with 4 people on the floor it gives rob a whole lot less space. Thats jsut me though. I find ike has a much better time in doubles than in singles when compared to rob

8Bitman

Smash Master
I'm so mad at myself, if only I could go and fight OoS players. I know I would do so much better. I've been playing Florida for 2 years now, and it's getting boring.

8Bitman

Smash Master
I don't want to move, I just want to fight other players. >_>

8Bitman

Smash Master
T^T!!!!! I can't!!!!! I'm taking the ACT's!!!!

NNNNNUUUUU!!!!!!!! I would love to though. =(

Thanks for the thought Dylan. :'3

T0MMY

Smash Master
Keep in mind that Oregon's Brawl tournaments consisted of 6 people for a year now (era of \/iviff). It wasn't until after I took up the reigns as a TO again that we got our 50-man tournament.
I only did this because he said he said he retired which would make for a good opportunity for the scene to come back to a friendly playing environment instead of having to deal with him putting everyone down all the time and causing drama.

The way I did this was catering to the newb/random/casual player. Low entrance fee, more rounds of play, efficiently run tournament -- and most importantly A FRIENDLY, WELCOMING, RESPECTFUL ENVIRONMENT.

I'm going to be running 1-stock pools at the next event (for seeding) with new players entering free (after venue fee is paid) and unranked players do NOT play against high ranked players -- we all know people quit because they get stomped on by #1 seed the first round, so why do we set it up that way?
Keep unranked separated from ranked.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
because we're supposed to be fair to everyone, not bias towards new players
though its really just a matter of what you care about, competitive validity or attracting new members. I'd say the latter is more important this day and age...

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I saw a Japanese tournament that had an interesting way of doing bracket.

They split the bracket between heavy weights and feather weights. Anyone who has placed at least 9th at prior tournaments would qualify in heavy weight, while everyone else went into a feather weight bracket. The winner of feather weight would be able to qualify for future heavy weight tournaments. Now there is a big difference where there is no prize money, so there is incentive to staying in lower bracket if this was implemented here in the states, but an interesting way of doing things, just FYI.

8Bitman

Smash Master
That's cool, I always liked the thought of beginner brackets to introduce new players to the pros. but I never saw it practiced before, might be something I will push to be practiced in the future if our scene develops and gets larger.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
My region's first revival tourney had some amateur bracket thing planned that I don't think actually happened.
1 dollar entry, if you prove to be good enough you got reduced price entry into the main bracket or something.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I saw a Japanese tournament that had an interesting way of doing bracket.

They split the bracket between heavy weights and feather weights.
Seems like Japan and Oregon do things very similar.
Almost same ruleset.
We've done an Amateur/Pro bracket since '08.

These same rules people are saying Japan is doing right is what we got laughed at back in '08 (because we understood competitive qualities and went with that).

The differences in our ruleset? We have less stages, no LGLs, and don't do a %-based win.
Competitive gaming!

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
ROBs kill power is underrated in doubles. He has it, the only problem with singles is that it's hard to land them on your opponent if they have any sort of intelligence (nair and usmash) or you find one of the few situations you can frame trap them into it.
I agree. His stock tanking ability is almost unmatched. My doubles partner uses Snake and we are ranked 6th and 8th in our region, never win single but have won doubles often with Rob, Snake and me stock tanking while he goes in hard.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
o.o what char do you normally team with? Every time I try aggro rob (unless im fightin some scrubz) it doesnt end well. or unless im angry...lol then the beast gets unleashed

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Snake lately. If my teamie will "play high" (like on platforms or if they can fly) and I can spam underneath, I like that too. Really nice zoning.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Me scuzi. I like having desirable situations, but that rarely happens unless we can just have our way with a team. You mainly have to adapt to characters. And I'm not thoroughly knowledged in doubles so I really just like testing the waters and getting a handle on things throughout the set unless it's a team I see like every single tournament. But yeah, I do enjoy me some double spamming.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I teamed with zeton at Vengence and it was amazing. I went almost all ROB, using laser to bait air dodge into fox upsmash and grabbing people off of fox dair shield lag was ******** lol.

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
got seventh at a tournament in NC on the 21st.
lost to TL and then one of my fellow FL pit mains.

Top Bottom