• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Tournament Discussion

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Exactly! T_T
Says the guy who can't beat the guy that t0mmy beat 1st try (I'm guessing).
If that makes any sense lol.

you guys are killing me. that's right, you guys are my worst MU lol.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
didnt t0mmy win a mm vs seib?

lol mms vs tourny are completely different

rob vs mk is literally impossible vs a top mk who knows the matchup

Sudai

Stuff here
I wouldn't say impossible. That would be 100:00. 70:30 imo, means an extreme pain in the *** and a good bit of effort, but still doable with even skilled players. I don't know why so many people feel 70:30 is impossible. lol

8Bitman

Smash Master
Look i'm sorry Mr Eric. But what was the hardest MK you've EVER fought???

8Bitman

Smash Master
NO! I don't want MK to be banned... I still haven't fought M2K, ever....

I hate the thought of banning a character.... >_> No matter how hard he/she is...

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Let me try and convince you: :)
• Wins over 50% of tournament money. This number increases the higher up you go in skill level.
• Only advantageous match-ups and stages (effectively breaking the counterpick system).
• Has caused several stages to be banned due to being so strong on them.
• Invalidates half of the cast.
• Over 20% of players place with him.
• Requires a surgical rule that introduces numerous double standards (Ledge Grab Limit) to remain legal.

Sounds pretty banworthy to me :p

8Bitman

Smash Master
Damn.... You make me want to ban him now... I was usually against banning him but damn.... XD

TeeVee

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say impossible. That would be 100:00. 70:30 imo, means an extreme pain in the *** and a good bit of effort, but still doable with even skilled players. I don't know why so many people feel 70:30 is impossible. lol
you are correct, a 70 - 30 isnt impossible

but rob vs mk isnt a 70 - 30, its worse

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
To me it sounds more like 25:75 (or even 20:80). It feels that R.O.B. can't do a sh*t against him. Have M2K ever lost to a R.O.B. just once? We really don't have any options to him, while he has tons of them to us, and that's really annoying! I don't exaggerate when I say this, but it feels like you guys who state that the MU is 40:60 (I don't say you suck) or "not as bad as everyone thinks" either meet bad Meta Knights who can't the MU, or the fact that you can it picture perfect. Only reason MK's still are losing to R.O.B.s is because in their mind they know this MU's soooo free that they usually sandbag, and therefore lose because they weren't prepared to opposition LoL.

Don't tell me that I'm just a random R.O.B. mainer from Sweden whose opinions don't count because I can a lot about this game. =3

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I never said the matchup wasn't bad (that I'm aware of).
It just isn't THAT bad. I actually enjoy it. MKs don't shut me down in bracket; others do (I'm personally bad against the diddy and shelda MU to name a few).

So yeah... I'm not saying you shouldn't pick up another character. I just don't. Because I simply don't believe the MU shuts us down any whatsoever lol. I've never been straight up beaten to where I'm like "dayum, there's nothing I could have done there." And I've played a good amount of MKs in my nearly 3 yrs of traveling.
Who how often does M2K lose?
I'm not saying "tires don exits."
I'm just countering this thread by saying it isn't hopeless. Which Chibo would counter himself nowadays. This is just a classic thread. I was hoping we'd all grown out of this pessimistic slump by now, but I guess not.

edits: lol thought I was posting in the Hopeless thread. so sorry if the last few lines don't make sense.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Stop being so TeeFree<3
i lol'd
jsut ban him
as for matchup, its 30-70 or 25-75. close to 30-70. at my latest tournament i got to grand finals without losing. i then had an MK to deal with. my rob was free against the mk, losing twice to two stocks. i then switched to ike and bought two games back before a last-hit-last-stock match at the end.
ike is 35-65 at the very best, i know my ike is better than my rob but the difference is not THAT great, and yet the difference between performances was too big to say ike and rob have the same matchup ratio

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
It's an entirely diff MU tho. I have to play ROB differently in this MU to make it work.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
every matchup is different, and i know, i have to aswell. just general comparisons. its certainly not good

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Going to a tourney for the first time in a while today. Hope I can put out some good results. I'll let ya know :3

:phone:

8Bitman

Smash Master
I placed 7th at le tourney yesterday. Lost to Esam, and Shaky. I was so close both sets. Both went to last game last stock... AIDS!

I officially lost to my very first IC's. But I can also say that Esam cannot beat my R.O.B with Pika. :3

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I played quite inconsistent yesterday. I would **** game 1 and fall behind gradually in games 2 and 3.
I did win doubles, but I'm pretty sure the loaded semester, which has kept me from practicing, is probably the biggest cause of my performance yesterday.
Good news is, school is over for the semester and now I can relax and work on my game as I prep for APEX 2012.

Good stuffs, 8bit, but how the eff do ya lose to ICz? jkjk

<33

8Bitman

Smash Master
Because my R.O.B is based off of being patient and waiting... But when the IC's do that too and rarely ever drop the grab.... I can't compete. He ***** me.

I won game 1, it was R.O.B/Pika on Smashville.
He won game 2, it was R.O.B/IC on FD.
He won game 3, it was R.O.B/IC on FD.

I should have CP'd Delfino, since he banned Halberd.

Oh yeah guys BTW, yall should play on Halberd more. It is R.O.B's best stage.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
you took an IC back to FD?
I do salty runbacks too, I'm just curious as to why in this case.

8Bitman

Smash Master
I didn't know what to CP. In my mind all I was thinking was trying to run and spam more in the next match. I didn't put into consideration a good CP. I just thought, IC is good on any stage. May as well just go back to FD. Instead of thinking of where R.O.B could go for an advantage.

Sudai

Stuff here
Take ICs to Yoshi's. The different angles mess with the chaingrab a bit and random Shy Guys can mess with CGs too. ROB doesn't need to go under the stage against ICs either.

Also, I've been saying it for a while, but Yoshi's is an amazing CP for ROB if you can figure out the bounce angles on the laser on the fly. You can get some incredible shots.

Edit: Oh, and most people don't know that they can't grab the top unless they're on even or lower ground than it.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Take IC's anywhere besides FD, imo. I also avoid BF, just because I hate that stage as ROB. If you went a more counterpick stage like RC or Brinstar, he probably would've switched off IC's back to Pika, and you probably could've won. Oh well, hindsight.

Edit: Like seriously, I hate BF so much I ban it against Falco's, then still beat them when they CP me to FD. :smirk:

8Bitman

Smash Master
Yeah yeah. I aint the best CPer.

It wasn't salt Eric, it was just me not knowing how to CP. =(

I need to think more when I lose a match or when I win, so I know what to ban. =/

EDIT: Sudai, that is actually very true. Just that I was never fond of the stage. Nothing good ever came of it for me. Yeah it's funny to see people try and pick up the Gyro. But other than that it was never a reliable stage for me.

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah, most ROBs I've talked to feel that way and I feel like it's because it completely changes how we bounce our lasers off the ground, but I feel like that's actually its biggest advantage once you learn to use it right.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
^
it is.
I think the platform is a nice asset for rob as well

8Bitman

Smash Master
It's the exact opposite for me. My biggest problem with that stage is the edge. The edge is so bad for R.O.B.

Also the Side Platforms are awful when they save other people. They never help me. I feel safer on edges like FD/BF.

Sudai

Stuff here
I like FD as well vs ICs, but I camp camp camp camp. If they get close, just jump off the stage. Just be smart and don't fall below stage level.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
I like FD as well vs ICs, but I camp camp camp camp. If they get close, just jump off the stage. Just be smart and don't fall below stage level.
That's how I deal with IC's on every stage, I just prefer a platform to land on when I need to refuel.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I go campy to aggro. Catches them off guard and ROB can split them up so easily omgomgomg

Top Bottom