• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Tournament Discussion

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I will pretty this post up when I get the time but here's all you really need to know for now.

This thread is for all those robots left that spend that money and earn them placings. Because we all know, there aren't many of us left. And since the Social thread is a bit against Brawl talk unlike some other socials I've seen, then this place can be the tourney goer's domain!

Pretty much, all we are right now is a Social thread, and that doesn't attract everyone. How about those people who take ROB seriously and really want to talk about hey they've been doing in recent events? Or maybe even those just wanting some words of encouragement before they head off to a tournament?

If you're a ROB main, you're probably struggling and need all the support you can get.

I know that I wouldn't keep playing him if it wasn't for people pushing me. This isn't just for ROB mainers. I mean anyone is welcome, but if you happen to use ROB here or there in tournament, tell us how it goes. Does it normally bring you success? How do they handle the robotic beast?

Like I said, I'll pretty this post up later. But it's been on my mind for about a week now, and I just wanted to get it up and started.

I hope you guys enjoy it.

Let's beep'em up...and talk about it xD

Heartstring

Smash Legend
first post

also ive only used r.o.b in one tournament thus far and errr...it was pretty bad, i messed up big time and ended up playing like i first started using him a day before the tournament, it were ugly XD
as for now, hes there as a solid secondary behind ike

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I support this thread
Mainly because I'm an avid tourney goer
And because Mr Eric is awesome
ROB is awesome
never quit him
He has the tools to him
Who cares about a couple tough matchups

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I've been sober for about 6 months now. I have not let MK enter my life at all.

Going to a tournament tomorrow (my first tournament in about 2 months) and using all ROB =] Major threats...well, Kadaj, and I know Seagull Man is going who is also pretty good. Besides that, not sure. I'm hoping I can get 1st for the ROB bros. I think I've gotten better recently, but I still need to prove it. Wish me luck, guys =]

Heartstring

Smash Legend

Going to a tournament tomorrow (my first tournament in about 2 months) and using all ROB =] Major threats...well, Kadaj, and I know Seagull Man is going who is also pretty good. Besides that, not sure. I'm hoping I can get 1st for the ROB bros. I think I've gotten better recently, but I still need to prove it. Wish me luck, guys =]
all luck is wished, seeing as i have nothing to wish it on for myself

oh wait...an exam on tuesday, but nowhere near as important as a brawl tournament XD

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Keep this on the topic of ROB and tournies and I won't merge it with the social. :3
Yeah, I'll get some rules going soon.

-----

As for me, my upcoming tournament is School is in Session 4
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271256

After the first 2 tournies in the series, this has gotten a lot of random hype from out of region smashers. I really dont know why lol because they started out being just decent sized tournies.

My first SiiS was pretty fail from what I can remember. I know I lost so Smash64, a Cincinnati Ness main who is one of the original God Kais. This was back in Spring.

After a bit of training, SiiS2 rolled around (a week before APEX2) and my most notable win came from taking my first win on Infern's (hi namesearcher) Snake in tourney. That's all I really recall from that one. Oh yeah, I was super sick at both this tourney and APEX2...wich sucked =[

SiiS3 came around I believe a little after MLG Raleigh, so I was feeling good about my recent performances and I was getting more support. But due to the random hype...I ran into some powerhouses in bracket due to the unbelievable amount of hype the tournament received. First Ally in the 2nd round:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhCKPgH7eOk
I was so uncontrollably nervous lol. I need to stop that against top players.

In Loser's, I fought Smash64's Ness again and took him out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWUYTh1YIjQ
Played a bit sketchy, but hey...a win is a win.

Where my streak ended was when I was up against Kel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AfaqdEVnv8
The only other ROB from out of the Midwest that has fought him I believe is Chibo at MLG.
(sorry for the all the MU experience I've given him, cheebz xD)
I was actually quite proud of my performance tho and believe that I'm getting the hang of the MU even when the MK knows ROB inside and out. When I lose, they're usually close now instead of *****. I know I got 2 stocked game1 due to lack of killing, but I do recommend that people should watch if they havent anyways. (2nd game was stupid close and i actually thought i won lol)

Sorry for the big recap. xP

Pretty much, you can check out the link above if you wanna see what kind of names are going to be at this tourney. TBH, I'm more hyped about receiving my first ever R.O.B. from a vVv member named DJ Iskascbribble (sp?).

Hah, I'm super excited about SiiS4 too. I just haven't had the proper practicing that I wish I could have had due to me being home for winter break. Nor did I practice a lot before then. And after losing my composure at Brawl in the Hall in a set against a Wolf (I got too relaxed after game1):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0oUvKDULcQ

I need a bounce-back performance of some sort. I just hope that performance comes to me tomorrow ^_^

I think it might. I don't have the new AT PSC down, though I have gotten a few grabs and jabs out of it so far. What I have been working on tho are low % follow-ups. And even a few high % follow ups like dtilt to fully charged gyro for the kill. Try it.
I'm just trying to stay fast. Know when to stop. Know when to follow-up. And know when to bait things such as dodging. I've been getting a little spike happy too xD

Good luck beepo! From what I've seen so far, you're a very impressive player. I hope you demonstrate that to everyone at the tourney too. =]
Stay sober! xD

I support this thread
Mainly because I'm an avid tourney goer
And because Mr Eric is awesome
ROB is awesome
never quit him
He has the tools to him
Who cares about a couple tough matchups

=]!
I think that there are tons of tourney goers that just never speak up because they dont feel that they have a place to. I must admit, some times I don't feel completely attached to the social haha since I'm really focused on improving ROB's game and they don't really like Brawl-talk in there =[

Hael Phael

Smash Ace
I'll also be attending SiiS4 tomorrow, I'll probably be pulling ROB out if I run into a Marth player just because I get so frustrated with that Matchup as Pikachu. I may pull ROB out moreso but we'll see.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Let's see, we also have some more ROBs gonna be repping it this weekend at SiiS4 including but not limited to:
SiL
Sneaky
Spin...
wtf...they all start with S..
anywho and maybe Mr. E?
O wait... I think Zwarm is coming. and is prob already on his way.
Some ROB named Commander something. he usually shows up

I <3 MW lol

TeeVee

Smash Lord
going to my first tourny in a month and a half (first tourny of the new season in new england)

and im not gonna use rob once (h) (unless someone uses ics or diddy on me randomly)

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
going to my first tourny in a month and a half (first tourny of the new season in new england)

and im not gonna use rob once (h) (unless someone uses ics or diddy on me randomly)

I wish I was on EC some times.
Good luck, beepo.

Who you mainly playing as? Diddy?

TeeVee

Smash Lord
I wish I was on EC some times.
Good luck, beepo.

Who you mainly playing as? Diddy?
cping everyone

if i face L1ng L1ng ill go mk, if i face a snake/mk/falco im going pikachu, if i face a diddy/ics or anyone not power ranked (new england has no diddys or ics though) ill go rob

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
As some (or all of you) may know, I want to make my tournament debut in Pound V. I'm gonna see if I can get Vermanubis to provide me a ride over there. Worse comes to worst, I'll train it there. I've been practicing with my R.O.B. whilst practicing with Toon Link, Snake, and Donkey Kong as insurance measures (my DK has a surprisingly easier time vs MK than my R.O.B.).

My problem is that since this will be my very first major tournament, surrounded by a bunch of strangers I know not from a hole in a wall, I don't know how I'd react. Will I be uber nervous? Will I choke under the pressure? What if I don't even make it out of pools (whatever that means)? So many questions run through my head as I type this.

I know I could use this as a means of experience, whether I perform well or not, but it would be pretty tragic if I completely flop and be seen as a potential noob in SWF. You get where I'm going with this, right? So yeah, I just hope I can do well. Do I expect to win first place? No. But I do hope to do decent at least. I guess only time will tell when I finally get there, huh? If my first opponent ends up being
Ally or Mew2King, I'm so gonna be upset. D:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
As some (or all of you) may know, I want to make my tournament debut in Pound V. I'm gonna see if I can get Vermanubis to provide me a ride over there. Worse comes to worst, I'll train it there. I've been practicing with my R.O.B. whilst practicing with Toon Link, Snake, and Donkey Kong as insurance measures (my DK has a surprisingly easier time vs MK than my R.O.B.).

My problem is that since this will be my very first major tournament, surrounded by a bunch of strangers I know not from a hole in a wall, I don't know how I'd react. Will I be uber nervous? Will I choke under the pressure? What if I don't even make it out of pools (whatever that means)? So many questions run through my head as I type this.

I know I could use this as a means of experience, whether I perform well or not, but it would be pretty tragic if I completely flop and be seen as a potential noob in SWF. You get where I'm going with this, right? So yeah, I just hope I can do well. Do I expect to win first place? No. But I do hope to do decent at least. I guess only time will tell when I finally get there, huh? If my first opponent ends up being
Ally or Mew2King, I'm so gonna be upset. D:
You have to consider a few things:
1.) The metagame has advanced quite far since launch.
2.) This is a national, it's going to be super tough. No ROB made it out of pools at APEX2. That includes people like me, chibo, kira flax, etc.

Go to enjoy it. No one is going to really look at your placing if you're new to the scene. Unless you really start picking off some top players.

My advice, and I'm others would agree, that you should just go and have fun. Meet as many people as you can, and play your heart out. Don't worry. You'll have my support. I'll come cheer you on. But dont worry about disappointing anyone. Not even yourself. It will only cloud your experience and you might not get anything out of it but frustration.

Don't worry you'll have a blast =3

cping everyone

if i face L1ng L1ng ill go mk, if i face a snake/mk/falco im going pikachu, if i face a diddy/ics or anyone not power ranked (new england has no diddys or ics though) ill go rob
Hah alright. Best of luck. CP them HARD!

luckyyyy

mr eric text or call me if ur about to play on the stream
Sure thing!
Tho...I never have good luck with getting on a stream.
I mean who wants to watch a boring rob? xD
I wish they'd give me a chance =x

But yeah, if I have Lord Chibo watching, I might get nervous xD
Either way, I'll try and represent.
<3

Good luck to all the other beepos playing their hearts out this weekend too!

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
I was playing friendlies with Kel and he told me to camp more, but I get nervous when people shield everything I throw at them. How can I get over this and camp better? I always seem to force myself offstage trying to camp because they keep coming at me and shielding everything, and I end up in a bad spot. :/

Usually I just do a fair to hit them away, but that becomes predictable, and I get punished for that too. It's frustrating.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Mix up ftilts with your fair

Who cares if theyre shielding

think of it this way, if they're shielding, they aren't attacking you. no harm done to him, no harm done to you.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah that's true. I don't get nervous when they're far away from me, it's when they get close to me, I fear something out of shield usually. I usually get my fairs or ftilts PS'd when they get close to me, and I get punished for it. Maybe I'm too predictable. :/

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I was playing friendlies with Kel and he told me to camp more, but I get nervous when people shield everything I throw at them. How can I get over this and camp better? I always seem to force myself offstage trying to camp because they keep coming at me and shielding everything, and I end up in a bad spot. :/

Usually I just do a fair to hit them away, but that becomes predictable, and I get punished for that too. It's frustrating.
The worst thing you can do is go off stage for reasons that doesn't include recovering or gimping. As Chibo said, just mix it up and don't worry too much. I don't know if there are MUs where intentionally going off stage is beneficial. I'm sure Chibo would know. Also, if they're coming at you and blocking everything, you can try going for either a Ftilt/Dtilt for spacing, or grab them if they get too close. Easier said than done, I'm sure, but it prevents you from being forced into a bad position. I hope that helps... hell, I think that helps. :3

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Lol Kel puts ROB down everytime I play him.
He just scared ;3
Don't attack his shield from the air tho. You will only get out of shielded.

stay quick.
know what you can punish
recover smart.
stay grounded when the mk is grounded.

we'll play some at the venue if you'd like <3

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
He wasn't even playing MK, he was playing Marth, Falco, and Snake. Coincidentally, my the latter two are two of my worst MU's as ROB besides MK. I switched to Lucario and I was doing a lot better against his Falco. :/

I would love to play some games tomorrow, my ROB really needs work to deal with the campiness of MW-E, I'm so used to everyone in IL being aggressive. XD

Also thanks, Sol, I'll keep that in mind.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
You have to consider a few things:
1.) The metagame has advanced quite far since launch.
2.) This is a national, it's going to be super tough. No ROB made it out of pools at APEX2. That includes people like me, chibo, kira flax, etc.

Go to enjoy it. No one is going to really look at your placing if you're new to the scene. Unless you really start picking off some top players.

My advice, and I'm others would agree, that you should just go and have fun. Meet as many people as you can, and play your heart out. Don't worry. You'll have my support. I'll come cheer you on. But dont worry about disappointing anyone. Not even yourself. It will only cloud your experience and you might not get anything out of it but frustration.

Don't worry you'll have a blast =3
Thanks, Mister Eric, that actually makes me feel better. I'll be sure to treat all my tourney matches like friendlies. :3

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yeah and I hate camping lol.
I don't see how people have fun that way xD

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well, to be honest, if theyre close enough to punish your camping with an A attack, then youre not doing it right XD
seeing as everyone seems to be going to this tournament, best of luck to everyone and hope some r.o.b's rep like gods XD

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I've never gone to a real Brawl-tournament, but if I do, I'll go 100% R.O.B.. I'm always going to main R.O.B. no matter what, and I have done that since I saw R.O.B. for the first time in Brawl. ([^^]

But good luck to all of you, lucky Americans.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I've never gone to a real Brawl-tournament, but if I do, I'll go 100% R.O.B.. I'm always going to main R.O.B. no matter what, and I have done that since I saw R.O.B. for the first time in Brawl. ([^^]

But good luck to all of you, lucky Americans.
you know, im pretty sure theres a few things that go on in sweden, have you checked the european boards? or just gone looking in general

Bees!

Smash Ace
I won my tourney yesterday! My first legitimate first place
1/22
All of Colorado PR was there too

I even beat Fishbait, Dave and Peachkid too!
I got the matches vs Peachkid recorded
will post them.

Top Bottom