• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB tilt lock technique?

Doc King

Smash Lord
I think i've discovered a technique where Rob can tilt lock certain fastfallers until he's at the edge. I wanna see if you guys think this works (didn't test DI yet).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That utilt one is lol. Works maybe on a bot, not even on those or something.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Yeah if there is a tilt lock out there I would be very surprised, cuz I have tried everything.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Already known, and it's not an assurance since the opponent can just DI to R.O.B. and get hit by the U-tilt.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yeah if there is a tilt lock out there I would be very surprised, cuz I have tried everything.
i mean, we do have a dtilt lock. do you know about that one?

It's the up tilt.
Ohh yeahz. It works quite nice on fat chars, wolf, fox, and a few others i think. It just needs to be DI spammed. But it definitely catches players off guard.
Thanks tho! If you ever find anything cool/interesting, don't hesitate to post it.
ROB needs all the tricks he can get

8Bitman

Smash Master
i mean, we do have a dtilt lock. do you know about that one?
Yeah I learned that from Reaper a long time ago. It's almost pointless though, I can never get my opponents into that situation. I only get it against walls.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yeah I learned that from Reaper a long time ago. It's almost pointless though, I can never get my opponents into that situation. I only get it against walls.
platforms set them up beautifully
jab2 around mid 30% makes them fall flat fast. if they DI an u-tilt weird, they fall flat. You can glidetoss the gyro down (hitting the opp with the top), glide with the opp as they fall flat and set it up. there's plenty of ways to set it up, you just have to think outside the box and try every little trick out. rob needs everything he can get xD

8Bitman

Smash Master
DAMN RIGHT!! R.O.B needs every little thing that he can get.

Lol yeah I have tried multiple ways, I just never knew the percentage that moves hit people to the ground at.

It's one of those things that people learn from weird mistakes in a match.

Also does the jab2 thing at 30% work on every character?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
DAMN RIGHT!! R.O.B needs every little thing that he can get.

Lol yeah I have tried multiple ways, I just never knew the percentage that moves hit people to the ground at.

It's one of those things that people learn from weird mistakes in a match.

Also does the jab2 thing at 30% work on every character?
nah.

here is a few % ideas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IorjkNqVw5E

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Another way to set up the D-tilt lock (from t0mmy): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAkLb01tdzQ
im guessing that this is the glide toss down one.
im going to be making a compilation of ways i can find to set it up.

so far, jab has been most practical to pull off, but that was on wifi, we'll see about offline when i play in a big tourney this weekend.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I saw an opportunity to D-Tilt lock from a F-Throw a couple times. I missed the opportunity because I didn't expect it. Try it at lower %, works wonders if they DI down or if you're on uneven ground.

There's a few other ways to set up the D-Tilt lock, but I haven't put time into verifying them... however, there's another cool one I was looking at:
U-Air > Footstool > (sourspot) F-Air (1-hit lock) > D-Tilt Lock

It looked impossible to pull off... but a lot of stuff looks impossible at first (shrug).

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I had both a fox and a falco im my pool this last weekend, and both were very good players.

Yet that didnt stop me from catching both of them off guard with u-tilt shenanigans MULTIPLE times.

lol.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Oh yeah, after a B-Air (frontal hit bubble, the "shoulder" attack) it can send someone onto the ground and you boost forward a bit, just dash in real quick and D-Tilt lock when they miss their Ukemi.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Indeed you did.
I mentioned the B-Air > lock because it's one of the few setups that can actually catch good players off guard enough to work. Usually a use the Gyro Toss (Down) > B-Air combo which sets up the lock very well.

The rest of the lock setups really won't ever happen on good players.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
i agree.
just throwing out ideas tho.
im going to start looking further into the possibilities of setting up these locks. might be able to find something with the new footstool shenanigan im working on.

T0MMY

Smash Master
The heck is a Ukemi?
It's the official name for a "tech" in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
You can find more information here: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique10.html

Also note: "Perfect Shield" (not power shield)
"Glancing Blow" (not phantom hit or whatever)
and "Small Jump" (not short hop).

Also I like to promote the use of "Clash" instead of "clank" or "clink" or some other onamonapia when two attacks clash with each other.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
It's the official name for a "tech" in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
You can find more information here: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique10.html

Also note: "Perfect Shield" (not power shield)
"Glancing Blow" (not phantom hit or whatever)
and "Small Jump" (not short hop).

Also I like to promote the use of "Clash" instead of "clank" or "clink" or some other onamonapia when two attacks clash with each other.
For once I completely agree with -LzR-

Although they technically ARE doing a ukemi (did my research yo), its a virtually non-existant term in the community and I would never see it catching on. Its such an awkward term.

Honestly I could care less what the Dojo says is "official". The community made this game what it is and the community names the techniques. Nintendos the reason Brawl is a slow a** boring game with a bat infestation problem. Perfect Shield is interchangeable, glancing blow is meh, and 'small jump' is how I would describe a short hop.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
For once? Did we have a disagreement streak? o_o

Anyways, I think we should use widely used names as the community has an easier time understanding it.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I usually disagree with your stance, mostly since you've got an MK viewpoint on things.

Im guessing you didnt read my response to you in the MU discussion thread about stages.

Judo777

Smash Master
be careful practicing lock setups against cpus in training mode. First of all you dont have decay and also for some reason or another the cpus autostand sometimes when they shouldn't.

If i go into training mode and knock the computer down and wait for a while and throw fully charge needles they will autostand when you can normally only do that if you catch em early. I have no idea why this is but you can also do the same starting a jab lock too late and after the 3 jab or so it becomes a real jab lock. It's weird but some of them are escapable after the lock has started against normal people and idk why.

For instance Eric's first one the fsmash to dtilt lock (btw amazing vid eric) i don't think would have locked them until the third hit or so so until then it wasn't a true lock if that makes sense. So it could have been escaped after the first dtilt.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
i think ukemi is used in other fighters tho. maybe smashers are just stubborn

yeah, judo, that vid wasn't really all that official. was just trying to show that basic moves, can lead to dtilt locks, and to be watchful of them.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I usually disagree with your stance, mostly since you've got an MK viewpoint on things.

Im guessing you didnt read my response to you in the MU discussion thread about stages.
All right. Of course I see things from MK viewpoint as that is my main, I can't help it.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
All right. Of course I see things from MK viewpoint as that is my main, I can't help it.
And you complain about me being biased... You take notice of my bit in my eye but don't the baulk in your eye.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Yeah, ukemi is used in other fighting communities.
However, so is "tech", which is where Smashers adopted it.

It is kinda awkward sounding to americans, but (shrug). I generally say "tech" in conversation, but when I write something formally I use Ukemi.

However, when people say Power Shield, that's really annoying... because the Power Shield functions differently (it reflects objects back).

On a side note: I found out a very good tactic against Meta Knight that get you a KO at 50% guaranteed ([^___^]

Top Bottom