• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Official Match-up Re-discussion #3: Diddy Kong

TheMike

Smash Lord

We'll probably discuss this Match-up for over a week. So many opinions...

DISCUSS!

TreK

Is "that guy"
What are ROB's bad stages ?
What outranges ROB's fsmash in our arsenal ?
How are we supposed to DI uair, utilt and dsmash ?
Wha is annoying (beyond nanaz) for ROB in Diddy's arsenal ?

He (...it ?) is one of the characters I just can't beat, so no input from me but I could ask ****loads of questions to guide your walls of text xD

Technologikall

Smash Apprentice
Use his banana's against him. Like Squirtle, R.O.B. is too good with the Nanarz to let this chance go IMO. Also handy that Diddy will have to be careful if you're good with the nanarz which makes spamming them a little bit harder.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Teneban said:
What are ROB's bad stages ?
ROB doesn't have a bad stage so as to be CPed there every time. It usually depends on the MU.

Teneban said:
What outranges ROB's fsmash in our arsenal ?
Hmm, I really don't know. I don't want to say something that I'm not sure if it's right or not.

Teneban said:
How are we supposed to DI uair, utilt and dsmash ?
Don't DI Dsmash, otherwise you'll receive another. And just avoid Uair/Utilt. ROB usually have some good options if the opponent DI out.

Teneban said:
Wha is annoying (beyond nanaz) for ROB in Diddy's arsenal ?
Being juggled.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I would like people to post here. I really tought we'd have a nice discussion. I know that Chibo created that topic and somethings were discussed there, but almost nobody gave true numbers as opinions.

My opinion is simple. ROB 55-45 Diddy. Even if we take control of his naners, he's still annoying. Going off-stage and edge guard correclty is what we have to do IMO. I just don't give 60-40 because of that ****ing **** that every body knows... our size :( Diddy can combo us like hell racking up some good damage, but I think we can have a better control of the match.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I would like people to post here. I really tought we'd have a nice discussion. I know that Chibo created that topic and somethings were discussed there, but almost nobody gave true numbers as opinions.
Well that might be the reason nobody's posting much in here. There's no reason to re-post everything we just said very recently in a very similar topic.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
me v ninjalink from this past weekend will be up tonight most likely

just watch that, and all ur answers will be solved

TheMike

Smash Lord
Well that might be the reason nobody's posting much in here. There's no reason to re-post everything we just said very recently in a very similar topic.
Yeah, i know. But there almost nobody posted numbers, and that's what i want, as we have a basic idea of the discussion, we're just re-discussion to get better ideas. On the Diddy MU, probably every thing were re-discussed on that topic. So, if somebody has something else to post, do it here, but don't forget the numbers. :]

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
I think this matchup is 55-45 us. We can use Diddy's bananas just as well as he can, but he of course can combo us. As long as we are not on FD then we can just camp him from the platforms on BF,SV,YI, or any other stage with platforms.

Uhh, I think we completely r a p e him in the air too, but I'm not too sure on that.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
I don't no anything about this match-up except, that rob's suppose to use diddy's bananas to his advantage.
By glide tossing,grabbing one and camping etc.

Edit: also not to take him to stage like FD, BF(obviously), and I think halberd?
My guess is something annoying beyond nanerz is probably...... the use of his random dash attacks and u-tilt.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I don't no anything about this match-up except, that rob's suppose to use diddy's bananas to his advantage.
By glide tossing,grabbing one and camping etc.
Just be careful not to trip on another naner on the ground while Glide Tossing.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
If there is still room for input:

I have ALOT of practice against diddy, hes my most played matchup (from Wakka and AZ), and i can give alot of input on mixups, dos, and don'ts against him.

Ill start but wont go far from time constraints, ask for more and you shall receive...
-Diddys approach:
--far: This is when diddy is the weakest, he is going to try to pull nanners. This is your chance to place your gyro intbetween the two of you and poke him with lasers. Diddy might jump to pull them so youll have to tilt the laser, its very annoying to the Diddy so do it as much as you can to slow him down. A smart Diddy will run off stage to avoid the damage, if he does this apporach to steal a nanner and keep him off.
--med: This is when diddy is going to Glide Toss (GT) a nanner at you, if he does sheild it, it will bounce straight up and you can jump > Z to catch it with out airdodging. If he does the predictable dash attack you can Dthrow the nanner into a Bair and pick up the banana again. If he slides to get his other nanner then then he probably halt his approach and wait for you to land, or attack you in the air. This is your chance to DI away and put out a gyro, and just pester him untill he approches with his second nanner. A good Diddy will begin to predict you Z grabing the nanners and try to punish, be weary of this and use it as bait.
---*watch for him to space so the throw lands right at your feet. if you dont tilt you shield down this will sheild poke you.
--close: diddy doesnt need to approach because this is where he wants to be, but not without bananas. Jab and grab to push him away just dont get tripped or youll be very vulnerable. If you can, get rid of his nanners and hell usually back off to pull some more. You can then chase/laser and gyro to interupt him and make it difficult. If you do get tripped it well prob lead into a lock and eventually a smash for damage.
Things to note for this matchup:

--*gyro works wonders at stopping diddys nanners, if you keep the gyro between you and him he has difficulty approaching till its gone, the nanners just bounce off of it and slide it backward.
--*when approaching diddy you have to be unique, ground approaches are bad because that might get you tripped, the best way is the Up B and float towards him like you're peach and Nair him in the face (this also helps you get back on the stage, since you wont be approaching much anyways) it works for a mixup and surprises the diddy
--*If your in trouble or it looks like hes going to get that trip, spam Up B, you can fly away and even if the nanna gets you, it wont trip you, just inflict 3% damage.
--*If you need a sec to breath, plank a bit, diddy cant do anything about it. Just dont do it too long and run out your edge grabs.
--*When diddy tries to spike you its easy to cancel with Up B, just fly AWAY from the level to avoid respiking which will run out your fuel. Watch out for diddy to drop and start charging his barrel, it can spike you too. Use Bair to help push away from the stage, then Wavebounce Up B back towards the stage and Uair/Fair to keep him off the ledge and away from respikes.
--*One of your best edgeguards would be to have a banana/gyro and if he tries to recover straight up drop it on him, he has alot of lag after getting hit out of his Up B and wont have time to charge it again. Peanuts can interrupt your recovery, keep an eye out and avoid them if you can, if you cant then try to Fair or catch them.
--*Diddy easy to gimp, but difficult to predict offstage. He has alot of mixups for his recovery, but if you can Fair his side B his Up B is easy to edge hog. If he recovers from below, drop and do put a Bair in his way, youll take a hit but hes pretty well dead. Just note that once you hit him he can side B again, and dont get grabbed by his side B or youll probably die.
--*One of the worst things is ROBs size makes him so easy to hit, bananas will trip you often. and once you have the banana dont throw it directly at the diddy, thats usually what he wants and will shield > Z grab it, if you notice he does this you can GT is towards him and get a free Nair/Usmash when he jumps for it.
--**also, a good diddy will instathrow the bananas back at you, which is when the moment the diddy touches the banana it is being launched at you, it looks like he deflected it, you can do this too by grabbing it with Z or attacking a grounded banana and instantly slamming the Cstick in the direction you want to throw it.
--*Mostly plank and stay in the air, Dsmash is great tool for its speed and puts diddy in a bad spot. Throwing the nanners at Diddy is often a bad idea because it usually just gives them back to him.
55/45
*Diddy boards dont have this MU ranked.
..I still don't get how a banana peel hitting you in the face makes you trip, especially since ROB doesnt even have feet, just airjets, tons and tons of tiny, tripable, airjets..

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Lol yeah, intimidating wall of text is intimidating.

If you want to skim it skim the "Things To Note" section. Its the basic clutch maneuvers any ROB should know to take advantage in this MU.

Croissant

Smash Apprentice
Don't know if anyone else has noticed... but up smashing through a platform to get diddy where there's a banana above the platform trips you too... that got kinda irritating playing a friend XP

Sudai

Stuff here
Bananas on a platform trip you if they touch any part of your body. Watched a Falco get tripped trying to DACUS under a banana and then trying to CG under a banana.

Silhouette

Smash Lord

..I still don't get how a banana peel hitting you in the face makes you trip, especially since ROB doesnt even have feet, just airjets, tons and tons of tiny, tripable, airjets..
Don't know if anyone else has noticed... but up smashing through a platform to get diddy where there's a banana above the platform trips you too... that got kinda irritating playing a friend XP
Nothing makes sense with diddys bananas, they defy physics, they defy logic... BAN THEM!!

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
blagh. this matchup can be difficult if you dont know what to do. I'm still trying to learn it so that I can take out Felix.

From what i've gathered, get 1 banana away from him and the other in your hand. harass him with his own nanerz by glidetossing and doing whatever you want out of the glidetoss. (grab if he shields, and then do that until he drops his shield where you smash him lol) you can gimp his up b with gyro drop naner drop and ledgedrop fairs.
(rar a fair if you are onstage without an item)

chase off edge, dont approach his shield, camp camp camp camp camp if he has bananas until at least one disappears.

That's all I got for now, but I need more matchup practice.

Sudai

Stuff here
blagh. this matchup can be difficult if you dont know what to do. I'm still trying to learn it so that I can take out Felix.

From what i've gathered, get 1 banana away from him and the other in your hand. harass him with his own nanerz by glidetossing and doing whatever you want out of the glidetoss. (grab if he shields, and then do that until he drops his shield where you smash him lol) you can gimp his up b with gyro drop naner drop and ledgedrop fairs.
(rar a fair if you are onstage without an item)

chase off edge, dont approach his shield, camp camp camp camp camp if he has bananas until at least one disappears.

That's all I got for now, but I need more matchup practice.
Once you get control of his bananas, he's ****ed.

Hold one banana in hand and have another banana on the ground (you throw it there, of course) and drop a gyro on the banana. He's either gonna trip or get hit by the gyro if he goes for either so you can Glide Toss > FSmash/Grab/Whatever.

Getting control of the bananas is the hard part, though.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Guess we're still gonna discuss this than. :)

What I would try (if I ever fight one is) to grab one of his bananas and throw it to the other side of the stage and grab the other and use it to glide toss and combo. I can keep the Diddy on the opposite side of where the banana is (not the one in my hand). So this way he can do nothing cause I have one of his bananas....and the other is on the opposite side of the stage and he can't retrieve it because I won't let him.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Once you get control of his bananas, he's ****ed.

Hold one banana in hand and have another banana on the ground (you throw it there, of course) and drop a gyro on the banana. He's either gonna trip or get hit by the gyro if he goes for either so you can Glide Toss > FSmash/Grab/Whatever.

Getting control of the bananas is the hard part, though.
Wow I can't believe i never thought of dropping my gyro on a banana. That's a cool strategy, thanks.

If hes holding a banana and shields your attack, you'll take a nanner to the face, its very fast.
you shouldn't be attacking diddy's shield regardless of whether or not he has a banana.

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah, I had played a solid 10-15 matches with GNes when I thought of it and I was just dumbfounded at how I hadn't thought of it before. Haha.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
I play gdx and a few other diddys a lot =/
This is actually one of my best matchups.
A trick I like to do is, I like GTsing so that I slide away from the diddy and tossing the banana strait up. That way I keep the banana off the ground and space myself away so i can camp and recatch it. The longer it is off the ground, the less likely it is he will get it back :3

DiZmY??

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I had played a solid 10-15 matches with GNes when I thought of it and I was just dumbfounded at how I hadn't thought of it before. Haha.
Wow I can't believe i never thought of dropping my gyro on a banana. That's a cool strategy, thanks.
lol I thought it was common sense :ohwell: I learned this in a tourney; got 5th T_T

But for this MU I almost always use his bananas against him. Gimping works fairly well in this MU IMO. oh yea and camp camp camp, it'll annoy the heck out of him.

6Mizu

Smash Champion

you shouldn't be attacking diddy's shield regardless of whether or not he has a banana.

I know Sudai said this but the dropping a gyro on a banana would probably be pretty hard....cause I don't think the Diddy will give you a chance to do this.
just pointing that out. :)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
And even if you do, the moment you drop it and it stops moving, the gyro vanishes. Now if you launched your gyro and got it to land on the banana, that's a different story.

Sudai

Stuff here
Shooting it is what I meant. It's really not that hard to do, btw. Learn to aim. And yeah, they can grab the banana once the gyro stops, but wouldn't you rather have that time where they can't get it?

Silhouette

Smash Lord
If you attack and diddy shields it while holding a banana, you are going to get hit.

Another big thing that helps with this MU is learning to insta-toss, to do this you air dodge to pick up an item and instantly slam the C-stick in the direction you want to throw it.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Sudai wants this post of his here:

I try to strike a lot of people to Yoshi's. Diddy is include. It messes with a lit of diddys more than you know. Fly Guys = free gyro charges too. Lasers behind them = safe pressure. It's easier to stop gyros of higher charges on bananas so they protect it better.

I got to SV after. Once again, I can get a gyro of mid-high charge and a banana in the same place easily. Then, they have to jump and it's a distance where if I camp the platform with his other banana, he can't get it back and I have constant pressure on him.

You just need to learn Diddy players Banana patters and then it becomes simple to get the bananas from them. Even the best Diddys will fall to banana patters because there's only so many useful ones. This is what I say about TLinks too, actually. :p

Though a smart Diddy will keep it to one banana. So, even if we have their banana, tey can get our gyro. Lets just hope no smart diddys look here, huh? ;D

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I`m not afraid of going to FD against diddy. Longer banana locks might be annoying, but the larger stage makes it easier to camp beyond banana range and is the most unforgiving neutral to recover for diddy.

Top Bottom