• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB minus: Spam B and Cstick down to win... where have I heard this before?

NNID
Budget_Player
So. ROB in Brawl-.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm81katb_jc&fmt=18

Yes. You can still do that (frame perfect sideB->bair).

So what's changed on our favorite Robotic Operating Buddy? Here are some of the more dramatic changes...

The Lazer
All right. First thing to notice. Weak lazer got a significant buff-it now sends opponents flying in the direction of the lazer. Autolink angle, in other words. That alone isn't much (it's a pretty weak hit), but offstage it's a ****ing gimp machine. And then there's the whole multilazer thing.
If you hold down the B button while grounded, ROB will fire off 10 lasers in a very quick succession. It has a lot of cooldown and is abusable if you miss/**** up, but it's incredibly potent on hit, dealing around 30 damage and often getting the opponent offstage. And once they're offstage, you can abuse your incredible spiking Dair, your gimp fair, your incredible recovery, and your gimp lazers to make them die. Permanently. Especially useful is using the laser to mess with your opponent's momentum canceling/recovering if he's close to a blastzone (see the Zswarm vid linked below).

Additionally, there is no Uncharged state. ROB never has to wait to fire a weak lazer. He can still charge for strong laser though... The strong multishot does around 50 damage if everything connects and can kill off the side quite effectively. The single strong shot will start killing around 120 if you nail them right (From the center of FD, it won't kill mario at 140; however, move him a little closer to the edge ant it gets BRUTAL) AFAIK.

Mobility: Dair, SideB, and Recovery
It would be an understatement to say that ROB is mobile. In fact, ROB is probably one of the fastest-moving characters in Brawl-. See that vid near the top of the post? That's the kind of **** we're talking about! Granted, that particular use is not the most practical, but the importance of ROB's mobility shouldn't be lost.
SideB: This is crazy ****. Like, super crazy. Check out the beginning of this match and you'll see what I mean almost immediately. SideB sends ROB catapulting forwards with ridiculous speed. Almost immediately, you can cancel it into an aerial. SideB->nair is an incredibly fast-moving and relatively safe approach; SideB->bair (when not timed for the super ROBDash) is also pretty good. And of course, SideB->fair (not as potent, but it works sometimes). SideB->Dair is a totally different beast; it allows you to abuse Dair's momentum to turn your SideB boost into a grounded approach.
Dair: Jump. Buffer Cstick down (or alternate Dair method) very fast. This is the ROBDash. It's essentially a wavedash without the momentum decay. You go sliding a little bit on the stage and can do anything out of it (for example, Dair->dsmash). Additionally, Dair has a very beautiful diagonal drop to it before the hitbox comes out, meaning that you can and will likely hit with it a lot (Around 2:15 in this vid).
UpB, Air speed, and Jumps: ROB has 5 jumps. 5. Jumps. He is incredible in the air, too, his air speed having been raised considerably. Another interesting thing is that you can now airdodge out of his Robobooster, giving him a safer recovery.

Approaching
ROB can approach with virtually any of his moves as long as he stays close to the ground. SideB->Aerial, Dair->ground move, SideB->Dair->Ground move... great approaches. Some of the best:
  • SideB->Nair: This one is just mean. It's absurd. Moves incredibly fast, huge hitbox, hard to punish on block (yay shieldstun from a powerful move) and on whiff (huge, long-lasting hitbox; the move is insane). Nair can start combos at low %s or just outright kill anywhere above 90.
  • SideB->Bair: See Nair, pretty much. Additionally, the angle on Bair was changed. It now hits in the direction ROB is traveling. It can also start combos, and is great at getting the opponent offstage.
  • Dair->Dsmash: Dsmash is, as we all know, really, really good. Now, you have sliding approaching dsmash. Combo starter? **** yeah. Not the safest, but we all know how fast and hard to punish ROB's Dsmash is...
  • Dair->Dtilt: (->dtilt->dtilt->dtilt->dtilt). This one is useful mostly because of how **** hard to punish a well-spaced dtilt is. Also, if your opponent trips from it, they're in for a world of hurt. And boy, does it trip well.
  • Dair->ftilt: Ftilt is almost as safe as Dtilt, and more powerful. Not that great for starting combos though.
ROB has tons of options. And this is also ignoring his stupidly good range game!

Damage Racking
Multilaser. Any questions? You can either abuse your incredible speed and decent combo moves (Fair, uair, Nair at low %s.) to score some pretty damaging combos and, especially, set up for a ridiculously easy edgeguard, or you can hang back and camp in the air with your incredibly good laser. Gyro is still decent, just slightly less incredible, relatively.

Scoring the Kill
ROB retains his title as "That guy who can kill you from across the stage". And you know what? He can do it better now.
  • Nair
  • Strong Laser
  • Strong Multilaser
  • Bair
  • Dair
  • Fsmash
All very viable, very useful kill options (Dair offstage, obviously) (granted, Bair is only really incredible offstage; camp offstage with your back to your opponent; if they get too close, bair is really hard to punish, can drag them offstage like with the DASC AT if they block, and gives them a rapetastic gimp angle if it hits). Fsmash has the added bonus of occasionally firing his laser.
Nair, however, is just... stupid. There are very few kill moves in the game that are better. It's just so ****ing good.

Some kill %s:

Nair
115% (center of FD, bowser, no DI)
90% (center of FD, Mario, no DI)

Dsmash
147% (center of FD, Mario, no DI)

Bair
117% (center of FD, Mario, no DI) (can be teched, so kind of moot)
70% (edge of FD, Mario, no DI) (this is REALLY REALLY GOOD GUYS)

Usmash
108% (center of FD, Mario, no DI)

Ftilt
158% (center of FD, Mario, no DI)

Keep in mind that in most cases, this will be higher due to DI. Oh, and Nair is likely to kill earlier because you're going to be landing it higher. :V

Anyways, I'll be updating this sooner or later with a complete changelist once I have one. But this should at least give you an idea of what ROB has going for him.

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3EMaOa_Jds (Xyless showcasing what ROB has to offer against a hapless DK AI)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K106yQESNo (ZSwarm showing what ROB has to offer against Xyless's DDD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD44hD4ENOo&feature=sub (Thomas's Bowser vs. Th3 Master composer's ROB)

Tips against hard matchups:
Not exactly sure what matchups are hard for ROB just yet, but I can at least give my tips against Bowser.

ROB Vs. Bowser.
Bowser is always the elephant in the room as far as matchups go (unless you're sonic, I guess). He seems like an unavoidable barrier at times. And for some, he really ****s **** up. But ROB doesn't seem to have too much of a hard time with him.
  • Abuse Nair. Nair is absolutely ridiculous, and will always break through bowser's heavy armor. It's pretty easy to hit with, due to his large hurtbox and your large hitbox.
  • Bair offstage (check out the Th3 vs. Thomas vid above) is really nice. In fact, your entire air game except uair is good. Fair will break through when fresh, Bair, Nair, and Dair will always break through
  • NEVER use the weak multilaser. It will get punished really, really hard. And you know how good bowser is at punishing... I'm not so sure about the strong either, but the massive hitlag could save your ***. Use individual shots; they're very hard to punish and good ways to rack damage
  • DO NOT APPROACH BOWSER. EVER. You have the tools to assault him at range; you have the speed and offstage game to not let him get too close to you. Abuse this!

As said, will update with complete changelist later.

To do:
-Matchups (eventually lol)
-more kill %s
-Guaranteed Combos
-etc

NNID
Budget_Player
Matchups would be sweet; combos that are more or less guaranteed would also be sweet. I got my own wii so now I can test things that at least don't need more than one person. I fail at wifi though.

That reminds me... ROB is a monster in Wifi. Like, scary. The more lag goes up, the harder it becomes to punish his multilazer and sideB->nair approaches/kills.

NNID
Budget_Player
Updated with some kill %s. Will continue updating when I don't need to head off to school. Will someone with a friend who has DI skillz check out how brutal the robdash->dair x times->robdash lock is?

Izaniki

Smash Apprentice
Also, dunno how useful this is against another person, but using dtilt and moving across the stage while pressuring shield = sex. You can spam dtilt and move at the same time :)

This is probably old news, but I just noticed it lol.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
rob- is ****ing gay
seriously he's the best in the game easy.

i main bowser because winning with rob gives me no satisfaction.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Matchup's that I'm pretty sure of

Ike - 60/40 - maybe even 65/35. Bair off the stage = GG's. But more seriously, I play a lot of Ike's and Kirk is the only one that ever gave me problems.

Bowser - 35/65 - Counterpick Lucas or something, seriously. Fully charged gyro, Nair, and Bair are the only things that go through his heavy armor, but they're not reliable at all. Fully charged laser barrage freezes him mid attack, which is hilarious, but he can finish the attack right after the barrage ends.

Kirby - 55/45 - Can get out of Kirby's combos better than any other character I've seen, ROB dash is a must. Watch out for d-tilt, because d-tilt trip -> jab lock -> hammer is scary.

Sheik - 55/45 - If she goes invisible, just use d-smash, I usually always hit her when she tries to approach. ROB dash is also a great way to get her out of her invincibility. The main problem is the needles.

I can have ROB/Kirby and ROB/Sheik videos up by tomorrow, once I get my capture card up and running.

Combos that I've found

When the opponent is near the edge, Bair -> Bair -> Bair.

Kills everyone if you follow their DI correctly. Sometimes even 2 Bair's is enough to kill them. You need to use 3 the characters with mulitple jumps though, or else they can recover.

ROBdash -> fair -> D-smash -> Nair

The Nair doesn't work at higher percents, but I've found the first three work at any percent. With the hitstun, you even have time to charge the d-smash sometimes. Also, depending on their DI after the Nair, I like to wavebounce a laser. If fully charged, it can be a 0-death. =D

ROBdash -> fair -> D-tilt/jab lock

Who doesn't like punishing missed techs? The setup isn't the easiest though, and it's kinda hard to explain, but I do a mini version of it in the video of me vs. Xyless in the OP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K106yQESNo (0:09 seconds in)

ROBdash -> fair -> dair

Only if you hit them offstage. Works against everyone whose name isn't Bowser, as far as I know. I don't use this too often, because offstage isn't my favorite place with ROB- if I miss the dair. =/

D-throw -> Nair

Works at any percent. Grabs are hard to get with ROB, though, so this one isn't the most reliable. You need to be able to follow DI, or this doesn't work.

Fully charged laser -> taunt

My favorite. Who doesn't like to taunt while your opponent sits there helpless until they die? Usually only works at higher percents, but if your opponent is close enough to the blast zone, it can probably kill at lower percents.

I can definitely put up some videos of my ROB by tomorrow, maybe even today depending on if I get my capture card working or not.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Nope, I lost to Quik when he used Bowser last night at a tournament. I 2-stocked his Ike in the first match, and he switched to Bowser and won. ROB needs his combos, and you can't combo Bowser at all.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
just because one person's bowser beat your rob doesnt mean bowser wins

rob wins every matchup in the game.
balance through brokenness doesn't mean that certain characters can't be more broken then the rest.
rob wins gg

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I also lost a match to a guy who used Bowser who never even played the game before. He doesn't even play Brawl. I literally had to spam Nair to win the next two matches. When I tried that against Quik, he outspaced me and won. It's not possibly for ROB to win against even a semi competent Bowser, IMO.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Against Bowser, it's pretty much all he has. I even asked Kirk, the guy who practically made the entire game, and he told me ROB can't do anything against Bowser.

And besides, its not like Nair was the ONLY thing I used, I just used it a lot more than everything else.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
sorry you assumed the creators are better than everyone else just because they created it.
sakurai mains ganon.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Lol, that's gotta be the worst arguement ever. Show me proof that ROB can **** Bowser, and I'll believe you, but for now, your argument sucks.

Anyway, Sakurai created the game to be a game that had items. Ganon can do some crazy **** with items.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
hey i guess you're right. i'm pretty bad at this game after all, thesilenceofnoone told me himself, and he's a developer.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
how does "you need to play with people who know how to shield" mean "you suck at this game gtfo" in any way

quit trolling

Zwarm

Smash Hero
how does "you need to play with people who know how to shield" mean "you suck at this game gtfo" in any way

quit trolling
XD

I have ROB- videos, sorry for the subpar quality, but at least it's better than a video camera pointed at a TV!

Zwarm (ROB-) vs. Sothe (Ike-)
-Side Note: This video desynchs after he loses his third stock, it sucks, I know, but I still like how the first three stocks went. =D

Zwarm (ROB-) vs. Sothe (Ganondorf-)

Zwarm (ROB-) vs. Quaz (Charizard-)

Zwarm (ROB-) vs. TWSS (Sheik-)

Zwarm (ROB-) vs. Kappy (Kirby-)

Zwarm (ROB-) vs. Kappy (Kirby-) 2

NNID
Budget_Player
Bowser - 35/65 - Counterpick Lucas or something, seriously. Fully charged gyro, Nair, and Bair are the only things that go through his heavy armor, but they're not reliable at all. Fully charged laser barrage freezes him mid attack, which is hilarious, but he can finish the attack right after the barrage ends.
Wut

Dude, you're so wrong. :laugh:
ROB is one of the best characters to deal with Bowser. What can you do... hmm...

Well, first of all, are you ever even getting close to the center of the stage, or the side of the stage bowser is near? Camp the edges of the stage, and just shoot lazers at him. They don't flinch him, but they still hurt him. Nair is incredible, fair breaks through, bair breaks through... if you're having trouble with bowser, you're probably taking the fight to him.

Combos that I've found

When the opponent is near the edge, Bair -> Bair -> Bair.

Kills everyone if you follow their DI correctly. Sometimes even 2 Bair's is enough to kill them. You need to use 3 the characters with mulitple jumps though, or else they can recover.

ROBdash -> fair -> D-smash -> Nair

The Nair doesn't work at higher percents, but I've found the first three work at any percent. With the hitstun, you even have time to charge the d-smash sometimes. Also, depending on their DI after the Nair, I like to wavebounce a laser. If fully charged, it can be a 0-death. =D

ROBdash -> fair -> D-tilt/jab lock

Who doesn't like punishing missed techs? The setup isn't the easiest though, and it's kinda hard to explain, but I do a mini version of it in the video of me vs. Xyless in the OP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K106yQESNo (0:09 seconds in)

ROBdash -> fair -> dair

Only if you hit them offstage. Works against everyone whose name isn't Bowser, as far as I know. I don't use this too often, because offstage isn't my favorite place with ROB- if I miss the dair. =/

D-throw -> Nair

Works at any percent. Grabs are hard to get with ROB, though, so this one isn't the most reliable. You need to be able to follow DI, or this doesn't work.

Fully charged laser -> taunt

My favorite. Who doesn't like to taunt while your opponent sits there helpless until they die? Usually only works at higher percents, but if your opponent is close enough to the blast zone, it can probably kill at lower percents.

I can definitely put up some videos of my ROB by tomorrow, maybe even today depending on if I get my capture card working or not.
Good stuff. :3

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Meh, well maybe I have a mental block against Bowser or something. XD At least you gave me good reasons that ROB can beat Bowser. Also, I'm pretty sure Fair only goes through if it has the fresh bonus or is sweetspotted, because it doesn't always hit him, from what I've seen.

I'll probably get more videos of my ROB- next weekend after Kirk's smashfest. I've been focusing more on vBrawl lately, and I haven't been playing Minus at all, it messes with my vBrawl ROB too much. XD

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
I think G&W minus is a beast. His hammer random combos are madness.
Wondering what's a potential MU with ROB.

huntbunt123

Smash Rookie
ROB can't be beat, it's as simple as that. And even a noob who plays as Bowser (we all know what I'm talkin about, those noobs who do nothing with Bowser except grab and take you with them off the edge.) can't win against him.

Top Bottom