• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Road to Stardom - Mario Metagame Thread (v1.1.1)

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Hey DunnoBro DunnoBro have you tested dthrow + frame perfect sh uair combos on fast fallers? I've tested on sheik, falcon and zss and they get comboe'd HARD, it's a small percentage window I don't remember exactly the number but it's around 30-50% depending on the character.

Combo examples:
Dthrow + SH Uair + Nair + Dthrow + Uair + UpB
Dthrow + SH Uair + Nair + Dtilt + FJ Uair + Uair + UpB
Dhrow + SH Uair + Nair + Fsmash
Dhrow + SH Uair + Uair + FJ Uair + Uair + UpB

I haven't tested these combos on real players so I don't know if these combos are actually usable, but they look very nasty.

Also is legit SH/FJ Uair as a OOS option? because if it is there also some combos from rising Uair into Nair/Uair.

PD: these combos doesn't work on fox.
I knew it made combo situations on them a little better but it's super hard to do without attack stick and then killing is wayyy harder without smash stick so I stopped looking into it unfortunately.

Also did some more testing, seems like I was wrong about sh dair. I think fh is only best after utilt. And maybe only for certain fall speeds.

Definitely sets up sjp kills better off dthrow > utilt percents than uairs do it seems.

Last edited:

Macedonian

Smash Apprentice
Hey DunnoBro DunnoBro have you tested dthrow + frame perfect sh uair combos on fast fallers? I've tested on sheik, falcon and zss and they get comboe'd HARD, it's a small percentage window I don't remember exactly the number but it's around 30-50% depending on the character.

Combo examples:
Dthrow + SH Uair + Nair + Dthrow + Uair + UpB
Dthrow + SH Uair + Nair + Dtilt + FJ Uair + Uair + UpB
Dhrow + SH Uair + Nair + Fsmash
Dhrow + SH Uair + Uair + FJ Uair + Uair + UpB

I haven't tested these combos on real players so I don't know if these combos are actually usable, but they look very nasty.

Also is legit SH/FJ Uair as a OOS option? because if it is there also some combos from rising Uair into Nair/Uair.

PD: these combos doesn't work on fox.
Combos do not always work like that In a real game, also it's needed to be noted that to actually combo in a game you need to soft hit the Nair, and if you true combo into Nair from up air it is not a soft hit. Up air up air up B is easy as hell against a lot of the class at some percentages but one of the points I believe DunnoBro DunnoBro is making is that optimal is not always guaranteed damage, but rather putting yourself in the best position to capitalize
I knew it made combo situations on them a little better but it's super hard to do without attack stick and then killing is wayyy harder without smash stick so I stopped looking into it unfortunately.

Also did some more testing, seems like I was wrong about sh dair. I think fh is only best after utilt. And maybe only for certain fall speeds.

Definitely sets up sjp kills better off dthrow > utilt percents than uairs do it seems.
What do you mean that kills are way harder without the smash stick? I have used both and eventually chose attack stick but if love to hear your reasoning.

Last edited:

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
Combos do not always work like that In a real game, also it's needed to be noted that to actually combo in a game you need to soft hit the Nair, and if you true combo into Nair from up air it is not a soft hit. Up air up air up B is easy as hell against a lot of the class at some percentages but one of the points I believe DunnoBro DunnoBro is making is that optimal is not always guaranteed damage, but rather putting yourself in the best position to capitalize.
You don't need to soft hit nair to do these combos actually it's practically imposible to soft hit nair, maybe you are not visualizing the sequence of the combo, since im very lazy to put a video I'll explain, in low percents (20-50%) after dthrow you can do a SH Uair this will put you in front of your oponnent so you can hit it with Nair (sweet spot), then you fall on the ground and nair will autocancel so you are able to follow it with almost any move.

These combos mark as true combos in training mode but I'm pretty sure DI will probably ruin them.

PD: I don't remember the real % for the combos, maybeeee later I'll upload a video.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I played Se501 on Smashladder today. He mains Sheik and is really good. I lost to him the two times I used Ike without even putting up a good fight. Managed to beat him my first time with Mario, losing the second time in a close round. I'm wondering if there's anything, such as Sheik-specific combos and setups, that are around the forum that I should investigate?

I'm switching to Mario as my dedicated pocket main against Sheik players.

Macedonian

Smash Apprentice
Hi I actually do the opposite of you main Mario and second Ike ( I'm really trying to main Ike though), anyway as far as matchup knowledge I have a lot of lab based knowledge for the two of them.

Anyway if your looking for Mario v sheik stuff I got you on some of the stuff here.

-up throw is king before 10 percent with no rage. Sheik is a char that will be combined by the up throw > Dair > Fair. This combo can be wonky due to the nature of bair and I have a ton of trouble landing the fair if they are above like 5 percent so I often just up throw and up air if I have a lot of rage or if sheik is above like 5%.

-downthrow into uptilt stuff I assume you know the basic stuff here. Just be warry of a wiffed down tilt, or sheik having good DI down to shield it, or away to be out of range of upair. About at 50 percent you can start doing the up air to up B ladders, doing the upB is not always the best choice, it's all game dependent but the up b gives up a pretty good advantagesd situation for like 10%. I usually go for the upB if I am already ahead by a lot of of its really even and I want the lead. UpB can definitely kill after a double jump up air at about 100 to 110. This is not exactly tested by me just rough numbers. Other things to note is that down throw to Dair at kill percents is a solid setup to secure kills.

-Dtilt is awesome. Sets up for grabs at low percents and can combo into upair in mid. Dtilt then charge smash is great for kills as well as combo into ,Dair and Uair for kills.

UpB can help break out of Fair strings and ftilt bull****,

Up air and bair are awesome in neutral to combat sheik Fair. Landing upair is always a great combo starter.

Fludd is good verses bouncing fish and grenade.

It's cool we are playing the same charachters, I hope we can help each other more in the future.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
With this new patch, Bowser seems to be no longer a favorable MU for Mario. He can now KO with up throw -> up air, which makes approaching Bowser even more dangerous when at kill percents.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
It's true at a certain percent. So it's not too bad I guess.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I feel Mario has the edge, mainly due to Cloud's bad recovery outside of Limit Break, plus the fact that he gets combo'd hard by Mario.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Alright, results are back from the lab so I'm gonna share what I found and tested over the past few months.

My main focus was on ledge coverage, cape, fludd, and dair.

Ledge coverage is the big one so I'll start with that.
I think cape allows us pretty good ledge coverage. Running jump cape to cover ledge jump, and then nair to continue covering jump + standard get-up. The lower fall speed after cape lets us respond to rolls and ledge jump air dodges with bair pretty well too.

Essentially just adding an extra hitbox to nair coverage, since you gotta kinda wait awkwardly to let nair cover ledge jump AND standard. These don't really accomplish much but serve to reset the situation unless they're a weak recovery char.

*This is only optimal vs characters without poor landing options for which ledge jump is a viable option.

For characters like ness, luigi, etc who are more likely to standard get-up or roll, I think just charging fludd is most optimal. If they roll you can cancel into usmash, if they standard get-up you get a pretty easy reset since the lingering is so good.

*Only optimal vs poor recovery characters as it doesn't send them far off so getting a reward is unlikely.

Next up is cape/dair. It's mario's best frontal coverage move and has a few important qualities:
1: It stalls him
2: It turns him around
3: And of course, the unique turnaround ability.

The best general use I found for this was edgeguarding, but not for the sake of landing itself. I found it was almost always optimal to run off ASAP and cape AWAY from the stage. The lower fall speed + jump gives mario a lot of control vs some characters. More than he'd have just running off straight.

This is of course only good to catch deep/late recoveries. If you suspect they will recover high or quickly, falling with dair and trying to space it so they'll be hit into the stage for a hopeful stage spike, or just fall out and hope Coin punch does the job.

*In my experience, dair rarely resulted in stock this way but did actually catch them fairly often and yielded good damage, especially at the lower percents they're more likely to do this.

Also, ever get frustrated at the lack of shield/hitstun on fireballs?
I really hated that there wasn't really any kind of follow-up on shield that wasn't a risky 50/50.

I found cape, in accompany to a spaced fireball (not too hard considering mario's air speed) can safely challenge shield of SOME characters. (As long as their usmash won't kill you even if caped =p)

Essentially, the idea is to mix it up between grabbing and caping. Since the counter to being grabbed is jabbing/attacking, cape makes this normally safe stuffing tool pretty punishable. (f/dsmash in most situations. Dtilt death strings are also an option)

With the albeit minor shieldstun of both fireball and cape, the cape will be safe on shield vs most characters.

Finally, Dthrow > Uair x2 > Upb vs Dthrow > Uair > Dair
The BnB mario combo I think should be less BnB. Coin punch, when fresh with rage is one of our best KO tools.

Each total combo only has about 3-5% difference on average.

Essentially, if you CAN get the dair after Dthrow > Uair, that means Uairx2 > Upb probably won't kill raw. Dair's also pretty strong itself, if you're on a platform it'll kill just about if not better than upb.

Doing dair instead of upb is just more consistent, at some magic percents with rage and DI mixing up (since it's hard to tell which way dair will send you) it can true combo into Upb kills around 40-60% still.

It also let you get a full charge of fludd at higher percents, land on a platform to maybe continue pressure, and overall just feels better.

Last edited:

Red Stache

Smash Cadet
Alright, results are back from the lab so I'm gonna share what I found and tested over the past few months.

My main focus was on ledge coverage, cape, fludd, and dair.
I see a lot of great stuff here!
Very good job, DunnoBro!

Hard work like this is always awesome to see!

I'll have to see if can get some time to practice these.
If I have a question I'll be sure to ask you!

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
I wish Mario's Up special (no customs) was able to kill earlier at the top of the blast line.

His aerial finishers aren't all that great

Kulty

Smash Ace
Oh no...GOD NO! ALLY WHY? Now, Mario's gonna drop to mid-tier. Great! (I really hope it doesn't happen, but I can understand his decision. Sheik and ZSS are so good to cover Mario).

EDIT: btw guys, for those who know me, I recently become loyal to Marth, but I'm still gonna main Mario in Smash 4, since he's my personal favorite character. I'll never gonna drop Mario out of my mains and secondaries list.

Last edited:

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
First official tier list came out, Mario is ranked 8th. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
First official tier list came out, Mario is ranked 8th. Thoughts?
I think it`s fine. I expect Mario to go down, and thank god, I don`t think that Mario is top 5. I heard some people say that Mario is top 5 which I think is going a bit too far. Aside of that, he`s okay.

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
I think it`s fine. I expect Mario to go down, and thank god, I don`t think that Mario is top 5. I heard some people say that Mario is top 5 which I think is going a bit too far. Aside of that, he`s okay.
I think that Mario will probably stuck around top 10-top 15 for the time being, even as the meta further develops. I feel like mario is the type of character that will ultimately require solid play and good fundamentals in order to win with (which I have neither of).

Kulty

Smash Ace
I think that Mario will probably stuck around top 10-top 15 for the time being, even as the meta further develops. I feel like mario is the type of character that will ultimately require solid play and good fundamentals in order to win with (which I have neither of).
Yeah. I usually wanted to pick up characters that are totally different than Mario and can help practice his fundamentals. Mario is a good example of a character that not only learns the fundamentals of the game, but it also tests your skill level on how well you use the game's fundamentals. I just really hope Mario stays in the top 15 range around the high-tiers as the metagame goes on.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I feel Mario will eventually drop to 15-20 as time goes on. Those are the spots for most fundamental-based characters (Mario, Pit, Dark Pit), imo. He is a solid character but not top tier.

Additionally, and as an unpopular opinion, I think Mario's playstyle hasn't been optimized yet.

Shady Onion

Smash Rookie
I feel Mario will eventually drop to 15-20 as time goes on. Those are the spots for most fundamental-based characters (Mario, Pit, Dark Pit), imo. He is a solid character but not top tier.

Additionally, and as an unpopular opinion, I think Mario's playstyle hasn't been optimized yet.
I feel as if top 15 will probably be the range for mario. After this patch he may have a bit better of a chance of retaining his place as is but I suppose we'll see has the years go on and majors happen.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Here are Mewtwo's kill percents on Mario.

All percents were tested on FD with proper and no DI. All horizontal killing moves were done at the side of the stage and vertical from the center.

Example:

Move:
Without DI
With DI

Attacks:

Jab:

200+%
200+%

Dash Attack:
170+%
170+%

Utilt:
160+%
160+%

Dtilt:
200+%
200+%

Ftilt:
128%
145%

Usmash:
101%
104%

Dsmash:
86%
99%

Fsmash Sweetspot:
76%
84%

Fsmash Sourspot:
80%
89%

Aerials:

Uair:
145%
152%

Dair:
Spikes at: 30%
On Stage:
130%
138%
Fair:
90%
115%

Bair:
110%
125%

Nair:
250+%
250+%

Specials:

Shadowball (FC):
70%
90%

Throws:

Uthrow:
133%
135%

Bthrow:
105%
120%

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Just a little thing, but due to the way cape stalls momentum, it makes caping just above the ledge + nairing get the 2-frame wayyy better than anything mario can do raw. It won't set up into any guaranteed kills but leaves you in a great position to upb stage spike or cape most recoveries.

Caping to face inward is the best since it sets you up to bair people if they tried recovering high.

Especially helpful against luigi, sonic, pit, etc. I was shocked to find how consistently it got their 2-frames.

I've also tried adapting this for trying to catch landings, jumping, caping to stall my height and option selection between bair/dair/nair depending on their positioning and the situation. On floatier characters, dair can kill but generally they have high priority aerials so it'd have to be an airdodge punish. On mids, bair/nair gets them pretty good but nair is the only thing that seems to really get fastfallers.

It's definitely less safe and harder to apply in that way so not sure if it's not more worth to just apply positional pressure with fludd/shieldgrabs/usmash

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Just a big post on the wonders of dair:

Dthrow > Uair > Dair

I talked about this earlier and why it's superior due to better positioning + fludd charging... But it ACTUALLY KILLS TOO.

With rage and DI mixing up, this can kill as a true combo. It mainly hinges on which hit of dair you get, even I have a hard time knowing exactly which I get so the opponent DIing wrong can very easily happen.

It's funny because NO DI at all lets people live most consistently, since dair on it's own has maybe a 3% window of killing while it has a true combo set-up regardless of DI, so that should only go up slightly with DI. But improper DI has a window of about 10% and it works best on floaties.

Dthrow > Dair

Same as the above, but this can only work as a DI mix-up for ledge bthrow.

-----

Ledge Pressure:

A falling sh/fh dair past the ledge timed around when the opponent grabbed the ledge covers ALL options but roll.

FH dair more consistently beats ledge attack options.

If you're facing away from the stage, you can try backairing worse rolls but in general they can shield it. (it at least lets you get back)

If you miss the timing for either ledge jump or standard get-up, dair's utter lack of endlag allows uair to cover those PERFECTLY. It even lets you get the uair while landing, setting up for potential strings/kills.

If they hang, it stage spikes them though only outright killing characters until very high percent (115+)

ALSO, you can go even lower to punish tether recoveries.

In general I default to dair to cover those options and when they start rolling i start upsmashing.

You can also use an inward facing dair to the ledge to guarantee a grab if you know they'll standard get-up.

---------------

Uthrow > Dair

Actually after people have become more familiar with their options in this scenario, it's become just not worth doing imo.

Uthrow > Uair works on more characters more reliably and even sets up regrabs with bair follow-ups.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
A little thing but comes up often enough: If you grab someone 80%~ on the smashville platform and it's moving in the direction you're facing, just dthrow > dair. It's true and will usually kill.

I see even ally just go for stairway combos when this would just raw kill them

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
How do you manage character weight and falling speed/gravity into how you do your Uair combos? Is there a general rule for when to end the combo based on certain characters? Also for characters who have quick escapes out of combos, like Luigi, Peach, and Marth.

Goldenstein64

Smash Cadet
NNID
goldenstein64
3DS FC
3411-1021-7210
Could anybody check if
USmash --> SH --> BAir --> BAir --> FH --> BAir --> DJ --> BAir --> USpecial and
SH --> BAir --> BAir --> USmash --> FH --> BAir --> DJ --> BAir --> USpecial
is a combo at about 20%? I found this combo while practicing against Dr. Mario.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
FORGET ALL THE OLD STUFF I SAID. I THINK I FINALLY GOT IT.

Alright, after labbing with boss and other md/va players, I've reworked my ledge game to something a little bit more consistent and likely closer to what you've all been already doing. I'm MUUUCH more confident in my findings this time.

Roll with your back to the ledge and hold shield around when the opponent grabs the ledge. Only use fludd and fireballs to deter high or quick recoveries until you get there.

Typically, this telegraphs an attempt at an easy grabbing of the standard get-up for a backthrow. So most players will use another option.

However, with your back to the ledge you still cover all the options.

If they ledge jump, you can REACT with a uair. They have to buffer an aerial or airdodge to avoid it (which can also be punished), and this uair true combos into Upb beautifully. Killing while true comboing as high as 150% in training mode. (It is however training mode so take it with a grain of salt)

I'm not exactly sure why, I think it's because the uair tends to hit with the back hitbox here thus better angle, less endlag, etc.

Furthermore, ledge dthrow has EXACTLY the same knockback as dtilt, meaning true combos into uair > dair to kill around 60-100% as well as better strings and damage overall make getting a grab here even before bthrow kills a huge benefit. (Not to mention it's also a di mixup since people tend to DI in expecting bthrow, making for even better combos)

*Note, even something as minute as a character model grazing you can push you off the ledge and take away this godlike dthrow set-up.

Now, for rolls you can usmash, or grab often. But the most consistent punish is dash attack. A properly buffered dash attack will hit EVERYONE. And it should be doing it with the inward hitbox to put the opponent back offstage.

The only true combos off dash attack at high percent are into SJP but it'll never kill. And it only does 11% (same as a bthrow which would also get them offstage but let you charge fludd more and not worry about missing and dying)

It does however, get the opponent back offstage and set up for bair 50/50 which would kill quite a bit earlier than a bthrow from the roll point would. (though not much from a usmash)

Also at mid percents (50-90) it does true combo into bair/uair much better than dthrow so it's probably best to just usually go for it unless bthrow would kill or reliably set up for an edgeguard.

In Summary:

Get opponent to grab ledge at all costs, roll to ledge and hold shield.

React to ledge jump with uair and combo off it. (Kill confirm with dair/sjp) Prepare to always react to jump if you don't plan on trumping since timing is strictest.

React to standard get-up and ledge attacks with grab and dthrow for dtilt combos or bthrow for kills.

React to rolls with grab at low percent. Dash attack at mid percent. High percents if they have a good ledge roll/bad air dodge/recovery. Usmash if you expected beforehand or it's an average or worse ledge roll.

Punish attempts to hang with trump > bair. If you screw up and they air dodge, don't keep bairing. Land and fludd to keep them from landing and try to punish their lack of invincibility.

Punish rising ledge attacks OoS with usmash/dsmash depending on their position, or if they can attack your shield and still pressure the ledge with mix-ups (like mk, sheik, villager, pikachu, etc) Then roll away and prepare fludd if it's not already charged. At minimum, prepare to space and time your dash attack for the stage spike hitbox if they won't let you get the dsmash/fsmash spacing. You want to be ready to cover a potential high recovery as well as their ledge grab. It's not ideal since ledge spike doesn't kill very well until very high and it's techable but it's the only way to cover all their options.

Finally, for characters able to pressure shield from the ledge via command grabs (Bowser, Ganon, Yoshi, etc) characters with aerial shield breakers (DK, Marth) or characters who can phase through your shield to return to the stage (Fox, Bayonetta, Greninja, Etc) you should feign "fake failed ledge trumps" by caping towards the ledge.

This does multiple things:

1: Makes the opponent scared to hang later since they think you're going for trumps
2: Covers most of these options fairly well. (Haven't tested how consistently)
3: Refreshes your shield
4: Baits out the opponent
5: Turns you around to better punish anything the opponent might try to punish with.
6: Deals damage on hang

Alternatively, stutter step fsmash also works and covers everything but roll. (Also has different timings for coverage, but still good. Best after the opponent is known to be afraid of trumps or takes quick ledge options)

You can't react with this, and it forfeits some advantage if you guess wrong but it's the only way to deter these options.

Disclaimer: This is still a mostly just theory though through actual labbing (not just playing. actually testing and checking if X situation works) But I think this is pretty much the flowchart we should be doing at the ledge almost everytime.

Edit1: You can't react to most ledge rolls oos with usmash. You have to have dropped shield beforehand to usmash, the additional 7 frames for shield drop make it take too long. Grab works though, so you only need to mix it up if bthrow won't kill. Otherwise grab/jump cancel out your drop frames.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
So after fighting the Rosa, Cloud, and Fox MU all week I've really felt mario's poor ledge return options.

After looking into it, I researched a few anti-pressure options for mario on the ledge. They're very much untested but in theory they should work.

Essentially, ledge rising fludd works regardless of charge. No charge and you can DI on stage and push more water onto the opponent anyway. More charge and there's enough water to keep your regrab safe.

That isn't all though, by holding down while super jump punching you get a near lagless landing onto the stage with the hitbox.

No charge is a bit risky though and doesn't consistently break up the pressure from all characters at all percents. However, I found that the charge from even a single extra cycle done while recovering is often enough. Just that little extra range pushes them past the roll point more consistently.

I recommend only doing it if you have a jump, and jumping into fludd and canceling immediately into an airdodge and canceling that immediately into a SJP. REALLY only recommended against hard ledgeplay characters like fox and diddy who can't just dropzone you.

Doing it directly out of hitstun is also an option.

Also some edgeguarding mix-ups I think are neat:

1: SH Fireball over the ledge > Cape into the ledge to grab it (this is not possible without cape. You need to full hop fireball otherwise or sjp back to ledge)

This gives you invincibility to hit them with if they recover high, turns you around for bair, essentially stalls you in place to cover your opponents recovery options better while giving them a projectile to worry about for free.

2: Tangentially related to the above, when you're on the ledge and the opponent is recovering deep (presumably to avoid a fireball or bair) I still have a multi-layer edgeguarding system.

A: Cape away from the ledge
B: Nair/Dair (Dair is safer and easier)
C: Jump + SJP
D: Hold down to avoid sweetspotting and keep the hitbox going to hopefully catch a two-frame, let it go if you suspect you'll be hit or they already sweetspotted so you can trump

This covers option after option and flows into the next. Cape covers high recoveries and slows your descent to make dair/nair linger better for gimps. Dair can stage spike, though it's best to try letting them fall out and jumping into your sjp.

3: Go out to edgeguard someone, cape away from them. If they airdodged, you can bair or nair as it kept you at the proper height to punish it without having to use a jump. Be careful vs disjoints and other aggressive recoveries.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Found a great landing trap for characters our dthrow is iffy vs.

Uthrow > Fludd

Here me out, while fludding you still retain the ability to jump, and usmash. But this also creates a next next level of options.

The opponent doesn't want to mash jump while that high since you'll just get fludd for free, and the characters with these great combo break options generally have poor landing or recovery options.

So, they can be baited into landing with an aerial on top/in front of you for usmash/shield to beat.

If they go behind you, cancel into Bair.

If they go in front of you with their jump, gauge which way their momentum is currently going. If in, angle fludd up and they'll stay right above you for an easy punish. If away, down will get them FAR offstage.

If they stay above you but not at usmash height, full hop uair.

If they jump, finish charging and fludd their landing. They can't avoid it even with and air dodge an it'll send them offstage for an edgeguard. Angle any further fludds down.

Generally, characters with anti-combo options have poor return to neutral or recoveries so I think this produces favorable results more consistently.

Characters like sheik, pit, or game and watch with good recoveries and no real scary way to break our combos aren't worth doing this too. Just dthrow them like normal, in general this is best to do against chars at the percents you KNOW you don't actually have 50/50s off dthrow. If they take X option they're safe, that kind of thing.

Edit:

Actually, uthrow > uair true combos a lot. If it's not and they air dodge you can bair, dair, or uair again. I think uthrow > uair > fall with fludd to punish a jump or landing aerial might be best, you get less fludd charge and it's probably not good vs less floaty chars with good landing aerials but damage + fludd is good.

This also seems good vs fox and diddy when they're at that awkward 40-50% mark. (for some reason dthrow doesn't combo or link into anything on them)

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
DunnoBro DunnoBro I just want to say I really appreciate all you are contributing here. Your insights are super interesting and its just nice to have someone posting strategies/thoughts here regularly.

I just want to ask: What is the most reliable/safe way to edge-guard low recovering opponents? I realize that, like you said in an earlier post, Fireball and D-air can be useful but what do you think is the absolute safest option that you should go for, like 80% of the time?

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
DunnoBro DunnoBro I just want to say I really appreciate all you are contributing here. Your insights are super interesting and its just nice to have someone posting strategies/thoughts here regularly.

I just want to ask: What is the most reliable/safe way to edge-guard low recovering opponents? I realize that, like you said in an earlier post, Fireball and D-air can be useful but what do you think is the absolute safest option that you should go for, like 80% of the time?
The reason I'm trying to find ledge guarding techniques is because mario doesn't have any.
He's best at edgeguarding ledge-level.

The most potent drop-zone stuff I've been able to do is mixing them up with cape. But not actually edgeguarding them with the cape, but rather using it to stall me out.

If someone air dodges while you're caping away from them expecting a double jump bair, it's a guaranteed falling bair.

In general I spam this because people are so used to marios just going for it and not being able to punish the air dodge. After they learn i can punish it, i start just going for it.

You can also use it for dair, if they had no jump it'd pop them up by the ledge but unable to actually recover onstage. So when you sjp, you should be able to bair or uair. The back hit of uair can combo into bair at lower percents so if bair won't kill go for that.

Can also fast fall the dair to make them fall out of it to try for an sjp, but i had little success doing this.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Dunnobro, really great stuff you're showing to us. Time to implement these techniques...
EDIT: Dunnobro, can I have the permission to add information about your findings with Mario's edgeguarding game? I'm planning on continuing the Mario guide soon, and I wanted to add sections about Mario's edgeguarding game into my guide. Of course, I'll credit you. XD

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Dunnobro, really great stuff you're showing to us. Time to implement these techniques...
EDIT: Dunnobro, can I have the permission to add information about your findings with Mario's edgeguarding game? I'm planning on continuing the Mario guide soon, and I wanted to add sections about Mario's edgeguarding game into my guide. Of course, I'll credit you. XD
Sure thing. Lemme know if you want any more help.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Sure thing. Lemme know if you want any more help.
Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. I just need a bit of imput on some matchups, because I feel I don't have enough experience. It's so long to find good matchup information when you consider 58 characters to consider. I've only done 2 so far on my guide (the:4mario:dittos and:4dk:).

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Noticing some great fludd punishes in neutral vs some chars:

Fox: Whenever he lasers
Sheik: Whenever she charges needles
Diddy: Whenever he tries to banana (spawn + grab or throw. if he throws just as you spray, it'll push him and make the banana barely whiff)
Ness/Lucas: Pretty much whenever they short hop anything. Their neutral is cqc aerials and their jumps take a looong time to land. Also good vs mewtwo but shadowball is an issue.
Olimar: Like stupid good vs him, they camp the ledge hard but are always hitting buttons. This kind of forces them to approach imo with their weak recovery. Purple can stuff this though.
Sonic: Spindash by ledge, punish his spring landings.
ROB: When they try to land with nair. It's a very specific spacing and this totally screws it up, makes a punish free.
Ganondorf: I don't think he can actually get by a fludd mario at high percent at the ledge...

In general I'm also noticing fludd by the ledge kind of earns a follow-up with how long they take to land, grab and dash attack are easiest but smashes are possible too. It just feels... Proper, similar to sheik's options with needles. She can't approach or get a follow-up immediately so she uses those for positional pressure.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Found something that works great with fludd pressure/canceling.

Full hop fireball from around the roll point(where you stand to pressure with fludd) catches a ledge hanging/attacking/jumping opponent, which is the general option against a fludd charging mario but that usually just reset the position so wasn't worth doing.

But I found fading off to sjp snap the ledge actually has a hitbox. No one probably noticed because mario looks like he's just normally snapping if an opponent isn't there, but it does in fact do a single frame 3 intangible, unchallengable coin that both true combos off the fireball hit, hits a still hanging opponent the fireball could not, or sets up a trump.

This is great since when people see you charging fludd at the ledge, good players tend to wait or take other options since they don't want to just be fludded offstage.

It isn't a true combo off fireball(not usually), but that actually makes it scarier. SJP is intangible frame 3, and you gain ledge invincibility almost immediately. Very few moves are going to win, it catches jumps and stage spikes them without them, and canceled on the ledge gives you no actual endlag so you can punish an airdodge on reaction.

This stage spike isn't very strong since it's the first coin, I don't think it'll even kill an opponent that kept their jump over 100% but again due to the no actual endlag, it sets up beautifully for bair, cape, etc. If they did, then challenge it with fludd. If not, follow the fireball.

The main set-up for this is charge fludd, shield jump cancel into fireball if they don't take their option right away.

If they roll or standard get-up while you were fireballing, you can still get them with dair into follow-ups. If someone ledge jump avoided it, maybe sjp straight up and cancel on the ledge?

Note: Fireball ALSO true combos into fair at this spacing too, but much less consistently. It's slower so not sure how viable it is, it seems similar to diddy's banana > dair set-up. If you have to do it, try it but otherwise seems too risky.

Edit: Speaking of sjp, theoretically you should be able to bair someone's shield and then sjp. This would only be worth as a mix-up by the ledge to cancel on the ledge with... But with fludd to consistently keep the opponent by the ledge, this could give mario a great spacing tool.

But mario's bair actually just even better frame data and range than sheik's fair now, the issue is he can't jab to stuff grabs after. So if properly spaced, this does seem to be a thing... Testing now on for glory and yea it works but i can't tell if they're just unshielding.

Edit2: DON'T TRY THIS VS CORRIN OMG

Edit3: Haha, im gonna have to look into this more. But ever notice how hard it is to kill someone off dthrow if they just buffer jump? Fsmash/Usmash will beat attacks and air dodges, but if they're DIing AND jumping away while you fludd, some characters just die or get put in an awful situation.

Fludd pushes extreeemely hard if you're DIng away, though I think only full charge fludd comes out quick enough and pushes hard enough to reliably kill or set-up for a kill. In this situation you should have enough time to get another full charge to push them away with again, but full jump over the ledge to cover their ledge snap with an up or down angle. (depends on char.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom