• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to Apex: The Big House Videos! [10/22/11 - Ann Arbor, MI] feat. West Coast, Midwest, Canada

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Road to Apex: The Big House
10/22/11
Ann Arbor, MI
Official Videos Thread
Videos Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=313199

YouTube Channels to subscribe to
Miscellaneous
Top Ten Plays:
*Not* Top Ten Plays:
Coming soon, by Reneblade and Juggleguy​
Stream VOD:​
Doubles
S2J/Lovage vs Soul/DBPM​
VaNz/Vudujin vs Tafokints/Alcheato​
Juggleguy/Hindawg vs Skyson/Dempt​
VaNz/Vudujin vs PEEF/TheNumberJay​
Idea/Riddlebox vs Juggleguy/Hindawg​
Dart/Oro?! vs Drephen/Trail (must see: game 3 ending)​
Kail/Shaeden vs Soul/DBPM​
Idea/Riddlebox vs ORLY/Mundungu​
Rat/Duck vs Drephen/Trail​
Dart/Oro?! vs 4%/X​
Drephen/Trail vs Kels/Vro​
Kels/Vro vs ORLY/Mundungu​
Winners Quarters:
S2J/Lovage vs Idea/Riddlebox (must see: game 2 ending)​
Tink/Velynn vs VaNz/Vudujin​
Losers Quarters:
Kels/Vro vs Tink/Velynn​
4%/X vs SFAT/KirbyKaze​
Losers Semis:
SFAT/KirbyKaze vs Kels/Vro​
Losers Finals:
SFAT/KirbyKaze vs S2J/Lovage​
Grand Finals:
S2J/Lovage vs Unknown/RaynEX​
Pools
Livestreamed:​
Rat vs Weon-X​
KirbyKaze vs Shaeden​
VanZ vs ORLY​
Shady vs Vudujin​
Dart vs Tafokints​
Trail vs TheLake​
Drephen vs FrootLoop​
RaynEX vs Vro​
Kels vs Taki​
Unknown522 vs PEEF​
Pool 5:​
Tink vs SCOTU​
Riddlebox vs SCOTU​
Riddlebox vs Toast​
Riddlebox vs Dempt​
SCOTU vs Toast​
Dempt vs Toast​
Riddlebox vs Reneblade​
Pool 12:
FrootLoop vs Solo​
Jungle vs Solo​
Pool 13:​
SFAT vs Kalamazhu​
Pool 14:
BloodyJoker vs Jermesque​
Flip vs Denzi​
Flip vs Jermesque​
Denzi vs Jermesque​
Vro vs Denzi​
Vro vs Jermesque​
Pool 15:​
Kels vs Violence​
Kels vs Eiodyne (must see: JV 5 stock)​
Kels vs Butch G​
Butch G vs Eiodyne​
Violence vs Butch G​
Violence vs Eiodyne​
Pool 16:​
The Good Doctor vs BertBusDriver​
Kinglit vs BertBusDriver​
Singles Bracket
(listed in chronological bracket order -- to avoid spoilers, just scroll down one line at a time)​
Winners 1st Round:
ORLY vs SilentSwag​
Winners 2nd Round:
ORLY vs TheLake​
Duck vs Weon-X​
Little England vs Raynex​
Lovage vs Trail​
Winners 3rd Round:
S2J vs Drephen​
VanZ vs ORLY​
Dart vs RaynEX​
Lovage vs Moose​
Duck vs SFAT​
Winners Quarters:
S2J vs Unknown522​
Idea vs VanZ​
Duck vs Dart​
KirbyKaze vs Lovage​
Winners Semis:
VanZ vs Unknown522​
Duck vs Lovage​
Winners Finals:
Lovage vs VanZ​
Losers 2nd Round:
Shady vs Oro?​
Kalamazhu vs Windrose​
Tafokints vs SilentSwag​
Losers 3rd Round:
Vro vs Tafokints​
Losers 4th Round:
Velynn vs RaynEX​
Tink vs Tafokints​
Trail vs SlayerTokey​
Rat vs Drephen​
Losers 5th Round:
Trail vs Drephen​
Weon-X vs ORLY​
Tink vs Moose​
SFAT vs RaynEX​
Losers 6th Round:
Tink vs S2J​
KirbyKaze vs Trail​
Losers 7th Round:
RaynEX vs S2J​
KirbyKaze vs Weon-X​
Losers Quarters:
S2J vs Duck​
KirbyKaze vs Unknown522​
Losers Semis:
S2J vs KirbyKaze​
Losers Finals:
S2J vs VanZ​
Grand Finals:
Lovage vs S2J​
Thanks for watching! :)

Violence

Smash Lord
I believe I have vudujin vs someone, and I've got a bunch of other sets recorded. I'll link them here after I clean em up and decide which of my channels to upload them to.

Although personally, I think you guys might wanna follow some of the other regions' example of having one channel for big events in the region, like MeleePacWest and MeleeAtlNorth.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I dont think me vs scotu got recorded, we played on a 3rd tv on a table/area that i dont think got recorded.

Either way, the only match/es of mine that got recorded are me getting stomped. :( i had a pretty good set on the same tv as me vs scotu that i won 2-1...

:phone:

I didnt record anything at this, all the bigger tvs had recording going on them.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I believe I have vudujin vs someone, and I've got a bunch of other sets recorded. I'll link them here after I clean em up and decide which of my channels to upload them to.

Although personally, I think you guys might wanna follow some of the other regions' example of having one channel for big events in the region, like MeleePacWest and MeleeAtlNorth.
If your recording setup was the third one down the wall from the door, then I'm pretty sure Shady vs Vudujin (Marth vs Luigi) is on yours, and me vs 4% (Falcon vs Fox/Sheik) is as well.

I've never been a fan of the region-specific YouTube channels. A lot of time and effort is spent recording + uploading so it's only fair that the people who do it are rewarded with potential subscribers and views on their own channel.

4% APR

Smash Champion
the peach in pool 15 wasnt apples, apples was the ganon.

good **** with the vids luggageguy

Tink

Smash Hero
yaaaa...now noone can see how much i got ***** =D.....i i mean how very very close our matches were =))))

Anand

Smash Journeyman
Since KirbyKaze is pretty much everyone's favorite poster on Smashboards, and I heard he did commentary at this tournament, could the links to matches he commentated be marked in some way, or listed separately somewhere?

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I've never been a fan of the region-specific YouTube channels. A lot of time and effort is spent recording + uploading so it's only fair that the people who do it are rewarded with potential subscribers and views on their own channel.
It's what's best for the community dude. I am disappointed every time I learn that such selfish minded people still exist in our community who are more concerned with getting more subscribers on their youtube channel than they are about advancing our community.

*sigh*

Mundungu

Smash Lord
We had a bunch of different recorders so we could get more matches than usual recorded. If it were a smaller tournament, most likely it just would have been Juggleguy recording, who is basically the midwest area video channel.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
It's what's best for the community dude. I am disappointed every time I learn that such selfish minded people still exist in our community who are more concerned with getting more subscribers on their youtube channel than they are about advancing our community.

*sigh*
I agree with this. Subscribers/views on youtube literally mean nothing at all. Its not even good e-peen. Regional channels are so good.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium

*sigh*
You don't know what you're talking about... it's the complete opposite of selfishness. More subscribers and views = more awareness for the Smash community in your specific region. I can tell you with 100% certainty that this tournament would not have reached anywhere close to 115 entrants, or would not have even happened, without the credibility I received from my YouTube channel and the awareness it raised about the Melee scene in Michigan.

Violence

Smash Lord
Well, I don't think it's mutually exclusive.

You can mirror all the vids onto one channel for easy subscription and still have them up on your channel as well. It makes it so that people don't have to follow and subscribe to 10 different people to get their vids.

You can even put them up on your own account for 2 weeks or so and then mirror them in the combined regional account, allowing people to find the videos they want more easily.

And I'm really only suggesting this for regionals and nations, since there are often multiple uploaders. When it comes to locals, it's local uploaders business.

Also, I've been working late for the past few days, my vids will be up soon.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
More subscribers and views = more awareness for the Smash community in your specific region. I can tell you with 100% certainty that this tournament would not have reached anywhere close to 115 entrants, or would not have even happened, without the credibility I received from my YouTube channel and the awareness it raised about the Melee scene in Michigan.
All of this can be achieved with a dedicated "Midwest Melee" channel. Tournament promotion could come through it as well, probably more effectively.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Disagreed. You can't really identify with any community leaders associated with a general "Midwest Melee" channel. It's as if a robot is automatically uploading all the vids. But you can easily relate to someone's own channel that caters to their specific region. Additionally, the volume/timeliness of their uploads can definitely reflect how much they care about their Smash community and give you a glimpse of how well-organized a tourney would be if they potentially hosted one.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Disagreed. You can't really identify with any community leaders associated with a general "Midwest Melee" channel. It's as if a robot is automatically uploading all the vids. But you can easily relate to someone's own channel that caters to their specific region. Additionally, the volume/timeliness of their uploads can definitely reflect how much they care about their Smash community and give you a glimpse of how well-organized a tourney would be if they potentially hosted one.
I gueeessss so, but personally I have never looked at someones channel and used that to determine whether I should go to a tourney of theirs. I might have known that you uploaded videos but I hadn't watched them, what spoke to me about your TOing ability was your confidence in the thread, peoples experiences at your smaller tournaments, and ultimately your TO ability itself. Nothing else mattered.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Well, yeah. I doubt that anyone would specifically be like, "hmmm should I attend Juggleguy's tourney, let me look at his YouTube channel first, oh it seems great, now I'm gonna attend." It's more that a personal YouTube channel can tell a lot about what's going on in the Smash community on a lot of different levels. It can lend credibility to whoever is running it, and on top of that it can help you easily relate to what their region is doing at the time, and it can also tell you where someone from that region traveled to and uploaded from.

Look at the channels I linked to in the OP here. We have Mundungu, who lives 7 hours away in Wisconsin. We have Lance, who lives 6 hours away in Indiana. We have Violence, who lives in Vancouver, an entire continent's length away in an entirely different country. We have WTP, who only lives half an hour away but almost exclusively plays Brawl.

Most subscribers to these four channels are people in: Wisconsin, Indiana, Vancouver, and local Michigan Brawl players, respectively. Now this tourney has a chance to reach out to all the subscribers in those communities. Players in those regions can see where Mundungu, Lance, Violence, and WTP were on 10/22 and gain awareness about the Melee scene in Michigan. They can see that each of these guys cared enough to put in time and effort to record, and that credibility is deserved should they ever decide to host a Smashfest or tourney back in their home region.

None of that would still be true if we had combined all the uploads onto one bland "Midwest Melee" channel. Can't put the names to any of the uploaded vids. Can't reach out to subscribers in distant regions. Can't give credit where credit is due to the people who spent time recording. Everyone (especially Strife) needs to realize that there's more to running a YouTube channel than simply fishing for a higher subscriber count. Basically, the only reason for the combined channel idea is pure convenience, and these video threads already accomplish that for you.

Violence

Smash Lord
The only audience we gain by doing this is the fraction of the community that follows things solely through Youtube and doesn't regularly check Smashboards.

That's why I'm very much in favor of a delayed mirror upload to one channel. It lets people get their initial views and subscribers, and then allows for the convenience of staying in touch with the entire region via one channel.

I mean, I subscribe to plenty of melee channels

Stabbed
Waffles
Chivalruse
ATV
Okami
Devrecroom
AZaxe
ajpanton
gkinfinity
UsurperKingZant
Alpharius
Reneblade

The list goes on.

I don't really care all that much about EC or MW locals, sometimes I watch WC locals, and they're the ones that usually show up on my subscriber feed.

When it comes to large tournaments, regardless of region, I want to find them all in one place. That's all these regional channels do, they let you go, oh hey, there are all the vids from ROM, all in one place, so I don't have to sort through 4-5 youtube channels.

It gets the content to the people who want to watch it.

I get the value of keeping things separate, but I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that people will greatly appreciate a shared account, even if it's just for mirroring.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Canada and USA are both North America.
I said "a continent's length away," not "a continent away"

When it comes to large tournaments, regardless of region, I want to find them all in one place. That's all these regional channels do, they let you go, oh hey, there are all the vids from ROM, all in one place, so I don't have to sort through 4-5 youtube channels.

It gets the content to the people who want to watch it.

I get the value of keeping things separate, but I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that people will greatly appreciate a shared account, even if it's just for mirroring.
Organizing all the vids into one place... a videos thread on Smashboards accomplishes this way better than a regional YouTube channel, doesn't it? The videos thread exists for that purpose, and that purpose only.

Violence

Smash Lord
That's what I mean though, Rob, the thread is here, but a lot of people play melee and keep up with it solely through youtube. They won't even hear about this tournament unless it hits their Youtube subscriptions page, and that's the major benefit of having one channel.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
You could still give credit in the description to who uploaded it....

Top Bottom