• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Wobz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WobzGames
Have you guys seen the new Super Smash Bros Crusade trailer? (I'll link it here) Will RoA have a similar in game controller configuration?
This would make it much either for people to use a dualshock or gamecube controller in tournaments without having everyone to download joy2key or something
https://youtu.be/B7HUkK67JFE?t=554

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
RoA already natively supports X-Input controllers. I believe Dan's also going to include x360ce as a means of emulating X-Input with Direct Input controllers? Not entirely sure on that.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
RoA already natively supports X-Input controllers. I believe Dan's also going to include x360ce as a means of emulating X-Input with Direct Input controllers? Not entirely sure on that.
iirc they are just planning on reintegrating D-Input which has GameCube support. Much, much, earlier builds have this, but it was removed. x360ce is just the most popular method of emulating Xbox controllers for people using GameCube or dual shock controllers.

Wobz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WobzGames
iirc they are just planning on reintegrating D-Input which has GameCube support. Much, much, earlier builds have this, but it was removed. x360ce is just the most popular method of emulating Xbox controllers for people using GameCube or dual shock controllers.
At tournaments every computer will have to have x360ce installed, and i dont know if RoA will have that built in on the xbone version or not
It's gonna be a hassle to use gc controllers at tournaments

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
At tournaments every computer will have to have x360ce installed, and i dont know if RoA will have that built in on the xbone version or not
I am saying support was removed for now, will be put back in later.

Wobz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WobzGames
I am saying support was removed for now, will be put back in later.
Oh ok, sweet!
I really hope it gets put back in
Also, Dan said the early access will be out in September correct?
And will it be free or will it be paid and owners get a discount on the full version??
How will it work?

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Oh ok, sweet!
I really hope it gets put back in
Also, Dan said the early access will be out in September correct?
And will it be free or will it be paid and owners get a discount on the full version??
How will it work?
Early access pretty much is the game, the full version comes As an update

Wobz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WobzGames
Will RoA work on Windows 10?
Cuz i am planning on getting windows 10 soon, but i am a little afraid as a game on steam i bought called FATE is not compatible with it.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Will RoA work on Windows 10?
Cuz i am planning on getting windows 10 soon, but i am a little afraid as a game on steam i bought called FATE is not compatible with it.
Either it works or would be fixed before Early access

greenglass

Smash Rookie
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.
Was wondering if all the controller config things and rivals of aether things will work on windows 10?

edit: wow i am extremely stupid disregard that comment

Last edited:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Honestly though, I don't think Gamecube controllers are the best choice for playing RoA. PlayStation or Xbox controllers are far more preferable, for me at least, and I believe Dan also prefers them.

4nace

Smash Ace
As of now, we won't be launching Early Access with Dinput support, but we will look to add it later if Xbox360ce proves to be an on-going issue. I know at Smash Con, I was struggling with GC controllers because up and down were more sensitive than left and right and I couldn't figure out the settings to be the way I wanted in Xbox360ce, but there might be ways around it.

Also I have been streaming here and there at http://www.twitch.tv/d4nace if you want to check out the in-dev build.

Thanks,
Dan Fornace

theopenlink22

Smash Cadet
I had an idea for the stage select screen. Instead of having it as it is (Which is fine of course) But my idea makes it a little less a replica of the smash select screen. You should have a map of the region of Aether, and have red dots that when you hover over them show the stage. That way we can get immersed in the area and story more.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
I had an idea for the stage select screen. Instead of having it as it is (Which is fine of course) But my idea makes it a little less a replica of the smash select screen. You should have a map of the region of Aether, and have red dots that when you hover over them show the stage. That way we can get immersed in the area and story more.
So copy classic fighters like street fighter instead? :p

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Personally I dont think its about this not copying smash, or this copying other fighters. I just really like that it helps with world immersion. I really like this idea!

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
I can already hear it...
*pick stage*
*swoosh*
*zoom in*
"FISTS WILL FLY AT THIS LOCATION!"

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Seeing all these not-humanoid character designs, I hope a Shuma-Gorath type character gets in... but a lizard would be great too.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Personally I dont think its about this not copying smash, or this copying other fighters. I just really like that it helps with world immersion. I really like this idea!
I meant it as a joke, this was one of my favorite design choices of street fighter, plus it does fit the rivals lore/feel good IMO.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I remember a long long time ago Dan mentioned that the plan was to have comic-book like cut scenes between the single player mode for each character, telling their story. I havent heard anything about that mentioned in a really long time though, does anyone know if that is still the case. I hope it is because I really liked that idea. And if so I assume the guy who drew the character portraits for each of the characters will be drawing the comic. I hope they tone down the muscle-y-ness of orcane some though, because to me at least that illustration of him does not fit with how I imagine him or his description as a trickster. Or really even how he moves so fluidly in game.

greenglass

Smash Rookie
I remember a long long time ago Dan mentioned that the plan was to have comic-book like cut scenes between the single player mode for each character, telling their story. I havent heard anything about that mentioned in a really long time though, does anyone know if that is still the case. I hope it is because I really liked that idea. And if so I assume the guy who drew the character portraits for each of the characters will be drawing the comic. I hope they tone down the muscle-y-ness of orcane some though, because to me at least that illustration of him does not fit with how I imagine him or his description as a trickster. Or really even how he moves so fluidly in game.
I definitely agree with the orcane thing, as well as forsburn just doesn't strike me as, you know, striking.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
You need muscles to be a fighter, so it makes sense. Plus, I'm pretty sure he's like half made of water and is just "flexing" for the camera.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
You need muscles to be a fighter, so it makes sense. Plus, I'm pretty sure he's like half made of water and is just "flexing" for the camera.
but only one of his arms is buff. Can you explain what orcane's been doing, Pupper? ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
but only one of his arms is buff. Can you explain what orcane's been doing, Pupper? ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ
I can, but why tell? A whaledog's gotta have SOME secrets. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is Early Access only for PC or will there be Xbox One Early Access as well.
I believe it'll be on Xbox Preview or whatever in December ish?

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Are you working on buffing Forsburns Up smash?
Forsburn's up-strong isnt in need of a buff. The range is huge on the cape and if you charge it you can link the first hit into d-strong or jab combo or... a bunch of stuff. You can also just use it to harass people on platforms. It is true that getting the second hit from the uncharged first hit requires the opponent to not react to it. But thats how the move works, it isnt broken, it just requires you to understand it to use it effectively. Remember, the longer you charge it the more hitstun it has, making it incredible for edge guarding where you have time to charge it.

lecceo

Smash Rookie
So is the early access still planed for this month, next month, or are you planning on pulling an ESO and releasing it on the last day of this month?

Top Bottom