• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Bwill3002

Smash Rookie
NNID
BMW_Spiderman
This is an idea that does not have to be taken seriously, I thought of a unique character that could work in this game.

• Idea:A octopus/Craken called Flint with 3 tentacle legs, a peg leg, 4 tentacle arms ,eye patch, and torn cape. Based on Marth and R.O.B. This character would have pretty good aproaches. Also He has spikes on his head coming out of his hat, a wall cling (tentacles), Scars and some times a baby shark on his arm.
  • Neutral Special: can throw barnicals at opponents that cause damage over time and can be placed on the ground and break apart to do damage and stun.
  • Side Special:This character could have a sword attack like Marth's but smaller range, and finish with a flintlock pistol shot 3 for up and down but 5 powerful shots if used in both directions.
  • Up Special: Squirts Ink that repels him in a certain direction.
  • Down Special: Creates a skull barrier of 5 ghost skulls that spin around him that can reflect projectiles (breaks after a cretain amount of reflects, so can't be spammed) and each skull 1 by 1 at a time.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Hey Guys,

We just released our developer update for June 2015! You can check it out here:
http://www.rivalsofaether.com/blog/?p=443

We also need your help. We just put Rivals of Aether up on Steam Greenlight! If you could share this page around and vote that would help us speed up the process of getting our title onto Steam!

Thanks,
Dan Fornace
There's no way this isn't going to be on Steam haha, especially with the Smash reddit and big names getting in on it :p

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
Earlier on the thread a page or two back.
So I see the one about the maypul changes. But I was referring to a pre-maypul nerfs patch notes. Like one with changes that the other characters received.

Edit: did some digging and found it several pages back.

Last edited:

antimatter700

Smash Rookie
Hey, first time playing roa, and i absolutely love it. The game is super smooth.
Wraster to me seems to have the biggest advantage as he can use the c-stick to do running tilts, he can manipulate his mobility with side x (that's weird to say) and finishing the stock with a up smash at the top of the screen is way to strong. But the fact that kragg can kill him at 40% or lower balances him. maypul is too fast for me and kragg seems a little less flowing than the other chars (hes still my fav tho). So exited to play more of the game; just wish i could change the controls to fit the 3ds on ssb4+ a c-stick because that's what im used to. If you could tell me how to do that i would appreciate it. Thanks -Antonio

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Zetterburn was sick of my crap lmao (pretty new to the gif thing, sry for low quality)
Edit: Does the Fire Capitol still have some graphic issues in the June Build? I thought it was fixed in the March one :S

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Oh! That's why! I feel dumb now haha
turning off HUD is just a playtester thing. Hitbox/hurtbox display is as well. They wont be available in the full version of the game so he's not worrying about covering stuff like that at the bottom up. It's noticeable on many stages.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
turning off HUD is just a playtester thing. Hitbox/hurtbox display is as well. They wont be available in the full version of the game so he's not worrying about covering stuff like that at the bottom up. It's noticeable on many stages.
Makes sense :p I remember it going past the black bar once, but that was I think two builds ago, and I think it's been fixed since then

4nace

Smash Ace
that stuff at the bottom there being cut off has always been like that. Its because the black bar at the bottom covers it up anyways
Yup. Stages arent really balanced for HUDless play atm. Will look into it but its not a priority. However there is a bug where you can see the sky behind the side of the fire stage. Still need to sort that out. Thought I got rid of it but I have seen it in the June Build.

-Dan

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Join the official group chat for Rivals of Aether!

The group chat utilizes a relatively new program known as Discord. This program allows for text chats, calls (only on the desktop windows application as of now), sending links, 1 on 1 private messages, and will be updated in the future with more content. Discord is safe and secure so there is never a worry about people trying to compromise information off of you like random users on Skype do. This program is also much less memory and CPU intensive than Skype is.

Download the application here: http://www.discordapp.com
Join the official chat group by clicking this link: https://discord.gg/0M4F1870WAZC052u

It's that simple! Anyone can join to have general conversation or Rivals of Aether specific conversation. This is what I will be using from now on when I host twitch.tv livestreams, so you can call with me when I stream by using this application!

Hope to see you all there!

~ Zetterburn [Clay]

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
While I havent been as active as I was before (Im having some big issues in real life :/) I'd like to say I love the new character and the direction the game has gone to! Characters have become more and more imaginative as has 4nace's creativity! I'd also like to show you guys something awesome. http://youtu.be/xqYOeeqZt8U Hope to buy the game on steam as soon as it's Greenlit, because I love Maypul too (haha xP). Hope I can come back and reunite with the community. See you guys soon. :p

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
Hey I was a march playtester, and I was wondering if I could get the new build? Would have been more active but school has been four stocking me for multiple games now :p
upload_2015-6-26_0-16-39.png

Supersmash77

Smash Cadet
I hope all goods well with steam. I had fun with the early builds so I will definitely buy it whenever it comes out for PC

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Hey I was a march playtester, and I was wondering if I could get the new build? Would have been more active but school has been four stocking me for multiple games now :p
View attachment 58571
Heyo, not too many people were able to get the June Build (myself included), but there may be a chance that, like the March Build, a second round might come out. It's either that or reapplicating via email :D
Also... after nearly a month of planning, I finally finished my RoA Wrastor fanmade trailer!:
It was supposed to release before the June build, but that didn't happen haha

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
So, I just wanted to post some thoughts that I had from my first day with the June Build.

Zetterburn:
  • His fire mechanic doubling knockback on his Strong Attacks seems way too strong to me right now. While trying him out I could easily kill CPUs with uncharged Down Strong Attacks out of runs at around 60%. It also seemed to me that doing Side Special confirmed into his running Down Strong Attack. I also got a kill at 46% from a charged Forward Smash at the center of Treetop Lodge.

Forsburn:
  • His Jab 3 being a kill move seems odd to me but it also kills way too early imo. I killed Wrastor at around 73% ( started around that percentage but was at 86% when he died and the second hit missed as well) from the side of Treetop Lodge by just jabbing him.
  • His Down Special seemed a little too strong to me. I saw this as he can (from my experience vs CPUs) easily combo into it from Up Air or Forward Air and both of those moves knock the opponent up. I was killing CPUs at around 70 - 75% with just Fair > Down Special as the fair would take them to mid screen. This could be different vs actual players but it seemed really easy to me to set up for it to be so strong.
  • I personally think that Forsburn's Up and Forward Strong Attacks are really bad/underwhelming. Up seems to only link well into the second hit when they are above and to the right of him or are slightly on or off the ground to the left of him. His Forward Strong Attack also does not link properly if the opponent is next to you as they get knocked behind him and the second attack just completely whiffs. Also both have basically no hit stun from what I've seen on the first hits (I've seen CPUs immediately air dodge after the first hit of F Strong and I myself have just done a Falling Up Air as Forsburn against a CPU Forsburn who hit me with the initial hit of his Up Strong). I'd rather see the moves get more hit stun to be better at confirming or just be true two attack moves that just link into each other without needing another input.
  • Would it be possible for his Back Air to last or come out early enough to be able to hit standing opponents. Currently I have to time it really well out of a jump to hit some one who's standing and most other times I'll just land without the hit box connecting and be open.
Those are pretty much it for now but I could be wrong on thinking things are too strong as I don't know fully how the game will be against actual players and was just doing CPU matches.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Heyo, not too many people were able to get the June Build (myself included), but there may be a chance that, like the March Build, a second round might come out. It's either that or reapplicating via email :D
Also... after nearly a month of planning, I finally finished my RoA Wrastor fanmade trailer!:
It was supposed to release before the June build, but that didn't happen haha
My only problem with that video is that you don't even see 4 of wrastors aerials or 3 of his special moves haha. I like the editing though.

Last edited:

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
Ah alright. Didn't know that. Thanks for filling me in though. Worse comes to worse I'll just do what you said haha. Thanks.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
My only problem with that video is that you don't even see 4 of wrastors aerials or 3 of his special moves haha. I like the editing though.
Yeah, I watched it again this morning and realized that most of what I showed off was his tilts, next time I'll be sure to include more moveset showing if I ever make more

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
So, I just wanted to post some thoughts that I had from my first day with the June Build.

Zetterburn:
  • His fire mechanic doubling knockback on his Strong Attacks seems way too strong to me right now. While trying him out I could easily kill CPUs with uncharged Down Strong Attacks out of runs at around 60%. It also seemed to me that doing Side Special confirmed into his running Down Strong Attack. I also got a kill at 46% from a charged Forward Smash at the center of Treetop Lodge.

Forsburn:
  • His Jab 3 being a kill move seems odd to me but it also kills way too early imo. I killed Wrastor at around 73% ( started around that percentage but was at 86% when he died and the second hit missed as well) from the side of Treetop Lodge by just jabbing him.
  • His Down Special seemed a little too strong to me. I saw this as he can (from my experience vs CPUs) easily combo into it from Up Air or Forward Air and both of those moves knock the opponent up. I was killing CPUs at around 70 - 75% with just Fair > Down Special as the fair would take them to mid screen. This could be different vs actual players but it seemed really easy to me to set up for it to be so strong.
  • I personally think that Forsburn's Up and Forward Strong Attacks are really bad/underwhelming. Up seems to only link well into the second hit when they are above and to the right of him or are slightly on or off the ground to the left of him. His Forward Strong Attack also does not link properly if the opponent is next to you as they get knocked behind him and the second attack just completely whiffs. Also both have basically no hit stun from what I've seen on the first hits (I've seen CPUs immediately air dodge after the first hit of F Strong and I myself have just done a Falling Up Air as Forsburn against a CPU Forsburn who hit me with the initial hit of his Up Strong). I'd rather see the moves get more hit stun to be better at confirming or just be true two attack moves that just link into each other without needing another input.
  • Would it be possible for his Back Air to last or come out early enough to be able to hit standing opponents. Currently I have to time it really well out of a jump to hit some one who's standing and most other times I'll just land without the hit box connecting and be open.
Those are pretty much it for now but I could be wrong on thinking things are too strong as I don't know fully how the game will be against actual players and was just doing CPU matches.
So just to address some of the things you said, Zetterburn's smashes can be survived at much higher percents with good DI. So you can probably not worry about that.

Same thing for Forsburn's jab 3. As for his down special. It did get powered up for the june build, but remember you have to absorb 3 smoke to even get a chance to use it. In a battle against a real person getting time to do that can be pretty hard, so the move being as strong as it is was to compensate for that. (and again, with good DI it will kill later)

The first hits of side and up smash seem to confuse most people. In order for them to link into the second hit you have to charge them for a bit. The more charge the more hitstun. This makes them amazing edgeguard moves, but it is hard to throw them out mid combo. You can also use the first hit to go into other moves, like a jab combo or a n-air. I really like up-smash 1 -> downsmash.

Someone else (I am blanking on who right now, it was maybe a page or two ago) actually asked about Forsburn's b-air getting a longer lasting sour spot after the initial hit, to match the animation staying out there for so long and Dan the developer said he would look into it, So its not unlikely you will get your wish on that one.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
I see people have been using my thumbnail from the old August build with the outdated logo and Fire Capitol. shofu even used it!
So if anyone makes videos or whatever, here's an updated version:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Decided to test the limits of the game a little bit, nothing too major, just some findings. (sorry about the double post, I just felt like this needed to be it's own post because editing it on made it look weird)
So the maximum damage is not 999%, but rather, you can get up to a whopping 1e308 before the game makes it become infinite and crashes the game by the next hit, saying it can't apply a square root which you can see in the image below. So basically, gamemaker hits its limit and starts going into the negatives, but it can't calculate it because, well, as the error states: You can't square root a negative number.

So, you may be thinking how long you'd have to play to get that high of a percent right? Well, I took the average kill time and kill percent by looking at over 20 different types of matches from skilled players and "okay" players, so the averages are about 32.7 seconds per stock and about 140% kill percent.
So, 1e308 divided by 140 is roughly 7.142857e305. Now we take that 7.142857e305 and times it by 32.7 seconds and... we get about 2.335714e307 seconds. When converting the seconds into years, we have about 7.40158911549242784e299 years
740,158,911,549,242,784,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years
to reach that amount without killing the opponent, non stop playing, and considering you're somewhat good at the game. The game will start to act a little funny once you start getting past the 500's, and once you get into the thousands, Zetterburns special 2x knock back starts to shake the screen rapidly and the game becomes stuck until the move is "complete". But yeah, those are my findings.

Last edited:

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
Streaming some PvP again.
Twitch /Phrez_smasher

Edit: just ended. Great night. Peaked at 16 viewers. Got shrekt by my bros frosburn, but... Gotta stay true to shamu. :3 Thanks to those who stopped by.

Last edited:

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
So just to address some of the things you said, Zetterburn's smashes can be survived at much higher percents with good DI. So you can probably not worry about that.

Same thing for Forsburn's jab 3. As for his down special. It did get powered up for the june build, but remember you have to absorb 3 smoke to even get a chance to use it. In a battle against a real person getting time to do that can be pretty hard, so the move being as strong as it is was to compensate for that. (and again, with good DI it will kill later)

The first hits of side and up smash seem to confuse most people. In order for them to link into the second hit you have to charge them for a bit. The more charge the more hitstun. This makes them amazing edgeguard moves, but it is hard to throw them out mid combo. You can also use the first hit to go into other moves, like a jab combo or a n-air. I really like up-smash 1 -> downsmash.

Someone else (I am blanking on who right now, it was maybe a page or two ago) actually asked about Forsburn's b-air getting a longer lasting sour spot after the initial hit, to match the animation staying out there for so long and Dan the developer said he would look into it, So its not unlikely you will get your wish on that one.
Perhaps it's my background playing Smash 4 and Brawl more so competitively then Melee or PM as to why the kill percentages seem too soon to me. But even then it's not like these set ups are really hard reads or part of long combos as even if the don't kill they force the opponent into an (for a lack of a better term) edge guard situation which I personally feel that Forsburn is really strong at.

For his Down B I was think that at the start of a new stock or once I force my opponent off I could just Neutral Special and just get 2 charges on my Down Special and save the last one for once I have them around kill percent for Fair or Up Air > Down Special. But that was still only vs CPUs so that could be really different vs actual players.

That change on Forsburns Bair would be really nice as I mained Wolf in Brawl and would go for low to the ground Bairs a lot to catch people and going from that to maining Falco in Smash 4 and he cannot do that as the hit box just will not come out that low is really upsetting. So seeing that Forsburn also had that issue was sad to me D:

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Apparently I can't do the greenlight because I haven't spent 5$ on Steam, lol.(I only downloaded Steam for this game)

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
@ McDareth McDareth

You mentioned that you only had played vs CPU's, right? Be careful about that because the CPU's are basically braindead right now. They do not DI or recover properly and love to face plant on to powerful difficult to hit with moves.

Okay, in response to what you said. ->

From my observations, Forsburn's down-B is still... even after the buff... too weak to justify the investment required.

Bottom line is that charging it up is highly disruptable and pretty time consuming against a good player. It has decently long start up frames that are easy to mash/air dodge out of and if you get hit during startup you LOSE the charge. Ouch. You also lose it when you die. You cannot make smoke while it is up AND, even still... it's really not 'that' strong, by which I mean that theother characters have moves of similar strength that do not require so much buildup.

Wrastor's up-B is a more consistent kill move out of Down-B and requires no investment, for example. Zburn Fsmash is much easier to set up and stronger as well. There is, IMO, a laundry list of moves in the game that are MUCH better than Fburn down-B for the investment/cost.

On this topic,after a lot of play I still really feel that Forsburn is the weakest member of the cast by a pretty significant margin. Wavedashing helps but he still has quite a hole to climb out of when other chars have such useful tools and he is stuck with situational tools like his back-air, up-air, smashes, smoke, and down-B'.

Basically it seems to me like most of Forsburn's tools require special set ups, and even when you nail those setups perfectly... they really aren't much/any stronger than the tools other characters have (which don't require special setups). Also... he has no projectile... his smoke is ... decent and basically free so that's nice. The one tool Forsburn has that I think is 'REALLY' scary is his neutral - air but IMO that just isn't enough to put him on par with other chars that each have 4 -6 extremely scary threats in their arsenal.

Not to say that Fburn doesn't have scary stuff but it's just not on the same level.

Other Stuff:

I can' t help but disagree about Zburn... his smashes feel kinda lackluster to me right now, except his Fsmash which is still very intimidating. Maybe 4Nace is right and it's more of a consequence of getting better at the game but the difference between a fiery smash and a non-fiery smash seems often negligible to me.. The fact that the fiery range is 'further', doesn't always make a huge difference especially because Zburn smashes tend to set his opponent at high angles where recovering is easier.

As an aside, it seems to me like a LOT of testers are playing almost exclusively against CPU's. That seems really odd to me. I feel like there is probably a line of testers around the block that do have human groups to play with. I encourage testers to find human players to play with.

Last edited:

antimatter700

Smash Rookie
So I got a play tester build for June and I'm trying to contribute. First off the game runs fine normally but like every 5 minutes there's a lag spike slowing it down to about 1/2 Normal speed. This is a big problem especially if the game wants to feature online. Secondly maypul's recovery is very bad and he can be easily lead he gaurded. His neutral special does help this slightly but is predictable. It's also detremental to his smashes. The plant he spawns could use a buff because currently it isn't useful in such an offensive meta. Making so that it trapped enemy's who touch it instead of attack it. Fosburn's smoke,orcanes bubbles, and wraster's Side b all cause lag. These really are my only problems with the June build, especially the patty parts. I hope you Devs can change this and I hope I can playtest in July! Thanks bye -Antonio

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
I just had a great idea for the second air character. It would be a blue alien inside a purple pod. The pod would have 6 legs shaped like lightning bolts. He has a claw on each side. (Think claw machine) It would be light and slow and have two jumps like normal.
Specials:
Neutral: A lightning bolt similar to Fox's neutral b but stuns like Falco's.
Side: Throws a bomb that explodes on contact.
Up: Two middle legs form into one big rocket that shoots you up. You can angle it about 45 degrees, not as much as Diddy Kong's.
Down: He sticks out his hand out and a really small ray comes out. If it hits, the opponent is "mind controlled" for 3 seconds. They can't controller their character in that time. Instead, the character walks back and forth. If you do this near a ledge, they might accidentally walk off.

Why I think this character would fit into RoA. In the first RoA trailer, you said war is coming. Maybe this alien's Martian colony could be invading Aether, and this alien is the only one who feels bad. He joins the Rivals to stop the alien overlord in the final battle. In the final battle, you get one stock for each character. You have to get the final boss to 300% and then he he dies. Not only would this alien character make the multiplayer mode more interesting, but also make for a great story mode. I hope you at least consider addimg this character to Rivals of Aether.

EDIT: In the start of each trailer, it says two things, one for each character (e.g. The forest grows uneasy, the smoke no longer follows the flame). For the alien, it could say "The invasion has begun."

The name of this character is Marshock, the Galaxy's Intelligence. Here is a gif I made for Marshock:

Attachments

Last edited:

Raytacular

Smash Rookie
Heres an update to my Electric Echidna character, Coyle!
Just did a standing animation for him. Thanks to a few people in the Skype chat and the brand new Discord chat, Ive improved it to be as similar to the game as I can make it.

Thanks to Dan for giving me Wrastors sprites so I can actually try and create a good animation for Coyle.
Anyhow, thats what I got for now. Any criticism will be accepted.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Rough idea for a DLC character for Rivals of Aether:

Vesla [The Storm's Essence]

Color details: Yellow body | Darker yellow armor (head/back) | Red eyes | Black lightning-striped stinger | Translucent wings | Tail color changes as electricity is absorbed.

Vesla is a lone Hornet who travels high above the clouds. Her home has been destroyed in the midst of war, and she seeks revenge. She can easily migrate to a new nest whenever she pleases, but she wants to give the other Rivals a hard time for destroying her home. She is able to channel her anger into electric energy to use against the other Rivals in combat.

Vesla's name comes from a combination of the words Tesla (unit of magnetic flux density) and Vespa (Japanese word for hornet). The idea of an electric hornet is based on a real breed known as the Oriental Hornet which has the ability to store electrical body. Vesla has taken it a bit further and learned how to control her newly found energy.

Neutral Special "Electrotoxin"
- A projectile move that hits an opponent, and releases a toxin that slowly damages an opponent and racks up damage.
- Releases from the stinger.
- Moves forward at an arcing angle like Orcane
- B-reversible.

Down Special: Beacon
- You place a beacon below you that allows you to charge your power over time.
- Breaks from one hit of any other character.
- Breaks if you place another beacon.
- Breaks after 10 seconds of being out on the field.
- Vesla's stinger stripes change color to depict different charges that add knockback and % to your moves
- cooldown times between when you can place more of them so that they aren't abuseable.

Beacon Charge:
No charge
- KB = 1.0
- Lasts until you start a charge.

Charge 1
- Takes 2 seconds to charge.
- KB = 1.15
- Lasts for 5 seconds outside of beacon then goes to no charge.

Charge 2
- Takes 3 seconds to charge after reaching charge 1.
- KB = 1.25
- Lasts for 5 seconds outside of beacon then goes to charge 1.

Charge 3
- Takes 5 seconds to charge after reaching charge 2.
- KB = 1.35
- Lasts for 5 seconds outside of beacon then goes to charge 2.

Charge 4
- Takes 10 seconds to charge after reaching charge 3.
- KB = 1.5
- Lasts for 10 seconds outside of beacon then goes to charge 3.

Side Special: Drill
- You propel forward headfirst, spinning rapidly.
- Do a barrel roll.
- Hitbox on every frame of the head sending a straight forward angle.
- Hitbox around the sides rotating like Wrastor Neutral B, always sends upwards slightly to combo into eachother.
- Longer distance if you're near a beacon or not grounded.

Up Secial: Wings
- Smash Bros Pit/Dark Pit
- Hold down the button to gain height
- Can be directionally influenced right or left after the initial input

Last edited:
Top Bottom