• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether Discussion Thread

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ok so there were only 2 threads in this place that were about RoA and neither were really a general discussion thread for this game so I figured it would be worth making one.

Rivals of Aether is an indie game developed for the PC (can be found on Steam I believe) and is supposedly suppose to becoming out on Xbone later (when the game gets full completed) as well.

It is heavily inspired by competitive Smash with having many elements from it. But the game also has plenty of its own unique elements to it to diversify it enough to not feel completely like Smash.

Currently the game is only going to have 8 characters with 7 of them revealed (I believe they are keeping the 8th one a secret until full game and for it to be discovered) and 6 of them currently being playable.

Official site - http://www.rivalsofaether.com/

I only have gotten to play this game a little bit myself because someone brought it to a weekly and did a small side tourney with it (of which I got 3rd, out of like 6 entrants lol).

But I found it to be a ton of fun. So much fun that I wish I could get it. ;-;

Anyways yea. Discuss this wonderful game people cause it totally deserves discussion about.

Kolvacs

Smash Rookie
The game in its current stage is really really fun! There are obviously still some improvements that I would like to see but considering the fact that this game is almost completely functional in Alpha *Cough DayZ Cough*, I don't exactly have much to complain about. EE did a short interview with Dan yesterday, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkT30DbzUPg and I'm pretty excited about some of the things he said! New stage coming in the next month or so, just fixing up some bugs he is experiencing with Absa, the fact that he is already looking at user submitted character ideas for future character concepts, and that he is hoping to add characters from other indie games that would fit the theme of RoA. Pretty exciting stuff, and it's really nice to have a developer that clearly loves his game and is willing to talk to people via Reddit, twitter, etc.

OneWithanOrgan

Smash Rookie
I agree with Moo. Despite not being full release, the game certainly plays like it is. I'm loving it more and more! To any Smash players that are on the fence about Rivals of Aether, here's my full review on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDjPZSyxu0s

Been trying to get people to play this because of how awesome it is! Also, it's my first review, so please be nice :)

ShortRound

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShortRound
Yo RoA is rad, dude. Wrastor is so much fun to play as. I've played for about 20 hours so far, and I can't get enough. It's so quick and the combos you can do are awesome. I really like the parry system too.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
My friends play this game on occasion when my one friend brings his laptop. It's fun, but I'd wait for it to come to PS4 to really sink some more time into it.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I have yet to try this out. A lot of people in the GA Smash scene play it though. I need to check it out.

OneWithanOrgan

Smash Rookie
My friends play this game on occasion when my one friend brings his laptop. It's fun, but I'd wait for it to come to PS4 to really sink some more time into it.
As far as I know, so far it's only PC and will be on XBOne. I don't think they've said anything about PS4 yet.

I have yet to try this out. A lot of people in the GA Smash scene play it though. I need to check it out.
Yes you do. it's so good! :'D

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
It really needs rollback netcode. I'm questioning if I should even spend the money on it before I hear it does.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Besides Forsburn and Zetter I just dont find the other characters that fun to play as. But thats fine since I really enjoy Forsburn and a bit of Zetter. I think he has a mild Marth syndrome where you gotta kill out of combos, and its harder to do so at higher percents. But unlike Melee marth I dont think he has any decent high-percent kill move. Like you can just give up on the fsmash kill but then kill with tipper ftilt or fair or whatever at like 160+
At high percents you can cheese your way out of his fsmash and upsmash since they're two-parters like Link's fsmash in Brawl/Smash 4/Melee. I hope they fix that. I've even had people immedietally airdodge away from the second hit at lower percents do but thats much less consistant than getting out of it at higher percents.

DaFletch01

Smash Rookie
I think I may have discovered the first advance technique in RoA but can't say for sure... I call it dash-dropping. It allows you to do a quick dash in one direction while on a platform and then drop down to the stage below. The movement on the control stick is similar to the method used for moonwalking in Melee but make a quarter-circle motion downwards instead of a half-circle motion. I am planning to make a video showing the technique once I have the spare time to do so.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Someone on my steam friend list keeps playing this, I see the little pop up.

Been curious what it was

jarbAin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4124-6082-4371
Is this thread dead? I wonder, because I would like some rivals discussion.

I'd also like to know if you think wrastor is op. He has so good combos that can kill off the top or side very early. I only wonder because he definitely is my favourite fighter, but what's the point in playing him if he is op.

doodles

Smash Rookie
Some friends and I just bought it recently, so here's hoping it isn't dead. The game has 8 characters these days, and still shows promise. I'm excited for a full version and a story mode to elaborate on the characters.

Kaze Arashi

Smash Journeyman
Queens New York. Occasionally in Smashville
NNID
marshie2014
Some friends and I just bought it recently, so here's hoping it isn't dead. The game has 8 characters these days, and still shows promise. I'm excited for a full version and a story mode to elaborate on the characters.
They have 3 dlc charcaters released. Ori and Sein being third party. The two others are a greninja/sheik hybrid named Ranno and a Lucina/marth/Shulk named Clairen. According to Alpharad..they're all "broken".
Here's a video I amde of Ranno:

Top Bottom