• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RisingVexx Reintroduces 'The Stun Jacket' Glitch

Earlier today, player and YouTuber Vincent "RisingVeXx" Rosciano uploaded a video explaining the return of the "The Stun Jacket" glitch from Super Smash Bros. Brawl to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Essentially, the glitch "saves" the hitstun from a whiffed counter move, and "recycles" it for use on a different move. VeXx demonstrates this with Marth, though it can be used with any character with a counter move, except for Corrin, Little Mac, Shulk and Lucario. He also mentions how useful the glitch is against big disjointed hitboxes, like Bayonetta's Bullet Arts.

This glitch opens up possibilities for many new true combos, amongst them the famous Ken's Combo - which is doing a F-Air into a D-Air with Marth.

You can check out VeXx's video here:

So what do you think? What other applications you think this glitch can have? Let us know in the comments!

Be sure to subscribe to RisingVeXx on YouTube an to follow him on Twitter @RisingVexx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mario "Diosdi" Osuna

Comments

This glitch also works if you whiff a counter against Sing, but it's much more situational compared to Falco's reflector or Bayo's Bullet Arts.

Last edited:
Are you telling me that Marth mains should now start searching for the most optimal way to whiff a counter? What even is this game?

Are you telling me that Marth mains should now start searching for the most optimal way to whiff a counter? What even is this game?
Us Marth mains now have another "tool" to play around with, which is always well appreciated. It's funny how we've essentially got to make an incorrect play to make an interesting one xD.

---
I just want to point out that this will work on many more things, essentially projectiles, so I'll list a few below.

• Diddy banana (either land on top of it or Counter his banana throw).
  • Mario/Luigi fireball (and Doc's Megavitamins too).
  • Fox/Falco lasers.
  • Link/Toon Link - all damn projectiles.
  • ZSS Paralyzer.
  • Mega Man pellets and Metal Blade. Even Crash Bomb explosion.
  • Even things like Sheik's Burst Granede would work fine. Needles would be a poor example, because you counter the first one, and the others get you (I think, but I could be wrong; if so, that's another).
Essentially, if you can counter a projectile and whiff it, do it.

Last edited:
Us Marth mains now have another "tool" to play around with, which is always well appreciated. It's funny how we've essentially got to make an incorrect play to make an interesting one xD.

---
I just want to point out that this will work on many more things, essentially projectiles, so I'll list a few below.

• Fox/Falco lasers.
  • ZSS Paralyzer.
  • Even things like Sheik's Burst Granede would work fine. Needles would be a poor example, because you counter the first one, and the others get you (I think, but I could be wrong; if so, that's another).
According to VeXx in the comments of his video, it doesn't work on normal projectiles like you mentioned, but only on "weird" ones like Falco's reflector. Not sure what kind of property in the attacks trigger Stun Jacket though.

Also the Brawl discovery thread for this mentions how to activate it. TL;DR the attack being countered can't be a hurtbox or normally visible on the character in order to activate stun jacket. This explains things like Aether and Falco's Reflector.
Part two: The Initiating the Advanced Technique, Equipping the Stun Jacket
What I seem to have discovered is that if Marth counters a hitbox that is not part of a character's model/sprite/picture (IE: not an extension of their hurtbox, and not a normally visable or apparent weapon), then the Stun Jacket will remain equipped to the opponent. So far, I've confirmed this to work with:
The swirling tornado of MK's Mach Tornado
Falco's deflector
ALL WINDBOXES (Including Ness' Absorb, Pit's Wings of Icarus, Ganon's Utilt, D3's inhale, Kirby's Inhale, G&W's UpB)
It could possibly work with many more attacks, but I was unable to miss the attack of counter after successfully countering other attacks of this sort. I'm not finished testing though. It definitely works with all Windboxes though, although I could not get Toon Link's Dair to have the counter miss on the Landing Windboxes.
Countering a projectile attack will not give your opponent the jacket!

The description is wrong. Only the hitlag of the Counter attack is "saved". Not the hitstun. The frame advantage comes from Marth not receiving the same counter hitlag so he acts faster than the opponent.

This is crazy. Some of the combos showed can be true combos without the stun jacket, but with this it opens up even more true combos.
Frame cancelling can also lead to new/better combos

---

• Fox/Falco lasers.
  • ZSS Paralyzer.
I hope this doesn't work on Lucas's zair, but my gut feeling's telling me it does... As if I couldn't hate this MU any more.

I hope this doesn't work on Lucas's zair, but my gut feeling's telling me it does... As if I couldn't hate this MU any more.
I mean, I'm psure the zero to death works on him, right? Or is it heavier characters? But yeah, if that works that's kinda BS.

Top Bottom