• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rising Spirit: An HD Indie Fighting Game (Update)

kupo15

Smash Hero
Rising Spirit
facebook ** twitter

About the Game:
Rising Spirit
is a 2D traditional fighting game with the feel of a platform brawler smoothly blended together to create its own experience and game type. This fusion grants us the ability to create a unique fighting game in which each player has freedom and flexibility within the playstyle of one character instead of feeling confined to the "Developer's Intent." The game is designed in such a way that you will be learning and figuring out and discovering new strategies and ways to play the more you play the game. It's a game where both Brawler and Traditional fighter communities can find common ground as well as being a fun accessible game for the casual audience. - easy to pick up but hard to master!

Last edited:

4nace

Smash Ace
Looks great. I like the combooooossss. You have anything in place to prevent infinites? Knockback scaling / breaker system?

Twisted_Winds

Smash Rookie
Good to see you finally posted this here. I've downloaded and tried the latest version and I had a minor slowdown issue.

When selecting a character the game would freeze a moment each time I moved to a different character for the first time. After that initial pause I could move the cursor over that character without issue. Once I get control of my character I get similar pauses when I perform an attack for the first time. After the initial pause I can use that attack just fine afterwards.

Aside from that the game ran at 60 fps without issue and it felt great to play. I, unfortunately, don't have anyone to play it with though.

Last edited:

kupo15

Smash Hero
Looks great. I like the combooooossss. You have anything in place to prevent infinites? Knockback scaling / breaker system?
Thanks! The combos you saw were against a nothing computer but I do have DI akin to Smash and other things to mitigate infinites. I also have minor kb scaling as well. I've contemplated a breaker system but probably won't do something like that, not sure though. I'm of the design philosophy that everything should work all the time without needing to design particular game mechanics to make moves not break the game exactly how Smash bros is made.

We will be starting the HD work next week so I look forward to how the game progresses :)

Good to see you finally posted this here. I've downloaded and tried the latest version and I had a minor slowdown issue.

When selecting a character the game would freeze a moment each time I moved to a different character for the first time. After that initial pause I could move the cursor over that character without issue. Once I get control of my character I get similar pauses when I perform an attack for the first time. After the initial pause I can use that attack just fine afterwards.

Aside from that the game ran at 60 fps without issue and it felt great to play. I, unfortunately, don't have anyone to play it with though.
Thanks! Yes I've been meaning to post here and finally have done it. That is very odd you got those slow down moments. I've actually gotten that sometimes myself but its a random thing like if my computer is being oddly stupid or slow or if I have another video thing going on in the background. Most of the time I have no issues however. Did this happen every time you've booted up the game or did you have other things running that might slow it down? Have you tried restarting and it still happened?

Yea, not being able to play with someone is the only issue I have right now. Not sure if I'll be able to do an AI system anytime soon with the attention I need for the HD part. I'll see what I can do though

Twisted_Winds

Smash Rookie
I have the freezing issues every time I boot up the game. It also takes unusually long to open up and close out. It's probably just my PC as it's not particularly great but I figured I'd point it out regardless since the rest of the game runs at 60 fps just fine.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok thanks for letting me know. Studio stupidly decides to load all assets at startup which is the cause for your long load time and has no functions they endorse to dynamically load resources. It only takes a few seconds for my cpu to load everything though. Glad the game still runs a 60 fps for you at least

Twisted_Winds

Smash Rookie
Ok thanks for letting me know. Studio stupidly decides to load all assets at startup which is the cause for your long load time and has no functions they endorse to dynamically load resources. It only takes a few seconds for my cpu to load everything though. Glad the game still runs a 60 fps for you at least
Yeah, Game Maker Studio could use some improvements in that department. Used to be that you could load graphics externally to reduce load times but texture page swapping in Studio and how externally loaded resources are handled internally kind of throw it for a loop.

There was no splash screen when loading, any way you can include one so I can tell it's doing something during that time? At the moment it just bogs down the PC before finally opening with no indication that it is opening. Someone else with a slower PC like mine might unintentionally open two or three instances of it and really be in a tough spot.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yeah, Game Maker Studio could use some improvements in that department. Used to be that you could load graphics externally to reduce load times but texture page swapping in Studio and how externally loaded resources are handled internally kind of throw it for a loop.

There was no splash screen when loading, any way you can include one so I can tell it's doing something during that time? At the moment it just bogs down the PC before finally opening with no indication that it is opening. Someone else with a slower PC like mine might unintentionally open two or three instances of it and really be in a tough spot.
Exactly. I developed the game in 8.1 for the first 2 years until 2 months ago and used the external loading functions, however 8.1 did a poor job with memory that loading two characters used about 1GB of ram. Now that I'm with Studio it loads all 6 characters on start and ram isn't even at 1GB so that is a massive improvement. Studio still has those function and from what I hear it works better in the ram part, it might even work the same way as texture pages it uses now except from my understanding using those functions would require a texture swap each frame of the animation which is less optimal performance wise. What I have yet to test is how bad the performance will actually be on a PC. Studio no doubt has been made more with mobile in mind so I can understand lots of texture swaps being harmful to mobile but whether or not that will actually be the case for PC I have my doubts.

I looked into a splash screen as I had one on 8.1. Unfortunately GM states that for windows exports they removed the splash screen functionality completely because "games load so fast on startup it will just blip and cause bad user experiences." Once again it shows that Studio is focused on puny mobile games which sucks, though I do believe Studio is still capable of handling the type of game I'm attempting to make which is good

4nace

Smash Ace
Exactly. I developed the game in 8.1 for the first 2 years until 2 months ago and used the external loading functions, however 8.1 did a poor job with memory that loading two characters used about 1GB of ram. Now that I'm with Studio it loads all 6 characters on start and ram isn't even at 1GB so that is a massive improvement. Studio still has those function and from what I hear it works better in the ram part, it might even work the same way as texture pages it uses now except from my understanding using those functions would require a texture swap each frame of the animation which is less optimal performance wise. What I have yet to test is how bad the performance will actually be on a PC. Studio no doubt has been made more with mobile in mind so I can understand lots of texture swaps being harmful to mobile but whether or not that will actually be the case for PC I have my doubts.

I looked into a splash screen as I had one on 8.1. Unfortunately GM states that for windows exports they removed the splash screen functionality completely because "games load so fast on startup it will just blip and cause bad user experiences." Once again it shows that Studio is focused on puny mobile games which sucks, though I do believe Studio is still capable of handling the type of game I'm attempting to make which is good
Game Maker hasn't removed the splash screen in Game Maker Studio. You can still turn that on. Just go into Global Game Settings, Windows, Splash Screen and check the box that says "Display Splash Screen". Here is what it should look like:
http://i.imgur.com/E3CWhct.png

But yeah you are right about the load issues. For really big games, you're going to have to get a handle on the texture pages and when to swap them out. Otherwise you might get slow down on a lot of cpus / gpus. I'm not sure how well GM is set up to handle such large assets. I would maybe message some of the yoyogames guys to see if they have tips for doing an HD game.

-Dan

kupo15

Smash Hero
This looks interesting...

Let's see how this develops.
Thanks! Feel free to like us on FB and follow on twitter. They are lacking updates recently but I anticipate more liveliness starting in a week. I'll also be keeping this page updated as another option to keep informed :)

Game Maker hasn't removed the splash screen in Game Maker Studio. You can still turn that on. Just go into Global Game Settings, Windows, Splash Screen and check the box that says "Display Splash Screen". Here is what it should look like:
http://i.imgur.com/E3CWhct.png

But yeah you are right about the load issues. For really big games, you're going to have to get a handle on the texture pages and when to swap them out. Otherwise you might get slow down on a lot of cpus / gpus. I'm not sure how well GM is set up to handle such large assets. I would maybe message some of the yoyogames guys to see if they have tips for doing an HD game.

-Dan
That's strange, my window doesn't look exactly like yours and it doesn't seem to be displayed properly. Perhaps its a version difference? What version do you have? I have 1.4.1567. I distinctly remember seeing a GM employee saying there is no Splash for windows but clearly there is one for you

About the assets, yes exactly. From what I understand the sprite_add function which is responsible for dynamic loading would place each subimage on their own texture page which means the game would have literally thousands of texture pages instead of the 5ish pages I currently have now with everything preloaded which would require a lot of swaps every frame.

But then again, how many swaps exactly am I having with these large texture pages anyway? If both characters aren't on the same texture page its going to have to swap a couple times each frame anyway so that is something I'm really not understanding too well when it comes to how exactly texture pages make things runs better. I understand the concept but how to make the game take advantage of that in such a dynamic game like this I have no idea.

It seems to work well for a mobile game where you can have each level on one texture page thus you would never swap out texture pages but for this, there is too much unpredictability to seem like one can take advantage of it. Also the character sprites are around 250x500-300x600. I pretty much don't segment texture pages and lump everything on the same one category to maximize RAM and I'm still running at a solid 60 fps

Last edited:

4nace

Smash Ace
I am on version 1.4.1629. Not sure when they added it back in. I used to have a generic load thing before then which helped make it look like it was loading (dont recall where that option was, i think graphics maybe?)

As for the texture pages, yeah I am not sure. You can manually set texture groups to reduce swapping. (on each sprite/background window, there is a Texture Group option. Usually each character could be its own and then each stage could be its own group. You can also make the pages larger which will take longer to initially load but require less swapping during gameplay. You can add texture groups in the global game settings.

Someone who has done more work with large assets could probably tell you more / be more helpful :(

-Dan

kupo15

Smash Hero
I am on version 1.4.1629. Not sure when they added it back in. I used to have a generic load thing before then which helped make it look like it was loading (dont recall where that option was, i think graphics maybe?)

As for the texture pages, yeah I am not sure. You can manually set texture groups to reduce swapping. (on each sprite/background window, there is a Texture Group option. Usually each character could be its own and then each stage could be its own group. You can also make the pages larger which will take longer to initially load but require less swapping during gameplay. You can add texture groups in the global game settings.

Someone who has done more work with large assets could probably tell you more / be more helpful :(

-Dan
Thanks! You are right that they re added that back in for that version! I will update Studio so I can take advantage of the splash screen!

Yup that is generally how its supposed to work. The thing I don't understand is that even if both characters were on their separate own single texture page, wouldn't GM have to swap every frame anyway because they are on two different texture pages? Seems like if you can't fit everything you need on one texture page it doesn't do much good. The only good texture pages do that I'm finding is that if I put each character in their own group and edit the sprite of that character the compile time won't take 5 mins like normal because it doesn't have to re create the texture page for the whole game

Twisted_Winds

Smash Rookie
You can still load sprites externally if you wanted to use draw_sprite_part. It has the overhead of having to manage the texture page yourself (the external image asset) but shouldn't use any more texture pages than if you had the assets preloaded. It's definitely a lot more to manage and with the size of your characters it may not be worth it since the maximum texture page size is 2048 x 2048 I believe.

With draw_sprite_part you can have several subimages on one texture, then draw only the subimage you need based on whatever rules you set. The code could get really complex if you're aiming to optimize space, however, but if extra texture pages are not an issue for your target platform(s) then you could probably skip space optimization for external images. (By optimizing space I mean using draw_sprite_part to crop just the sprite with no extra space, or splitting one subimage into two or more pieces, etc)

Last edited:

kupo15

Smash Hero
You can still load sprites externally if you wanted to use draw_sprite_part. It has the overhead of having to manage the texture page yourself (the external image asset) but shouldn't use any more texture pages than if you had the assets preloaded. It's definitely a lot more to manage and with the size of your characters it may not be worth it since the maximum texture page size is 2048 x 2048 I believe.

With draw_sprite_part you can have several subimages on one texture, then draw only the subimage you need based on whatever rules you set. The code could get really complex if you're aiming to optimize space, however, but if extra texture pages are not an issue for your target platform(s) then you could probably skip space optimization for external images. (By optimizing space I mean using draw_sprite_part to crop just the sprite with no extra space, or splitting one subimage into two or more pieces, etc)
That doesn't quite make sense to me. I thought draw_part was exactly the same as draw_sprite except instead of the game drawing the whole sprite you can choose to just draw part of it? I don't think the function stops Studio from loading all resources on start up. My texture pages already have more than one subimage per page as everything is crammed on them the best way possible to maximize space, draw_sprite or setting the sprite automatically will pull the sprite out from that jumbled mess correctly

The only way to not load everything on startup is to not have anything in the IDE and use the sprite_add function unless I'm missing something

And texture pages go up to 8096x8096 I believe :)

Twisted_Winds

Smash Rookie
Sorry, maybe I left out a key detail...

If you use sprite_add to load art externally then your external art can, essentially, be your texture page. An example, you have a character with several animations placed onto a large sprite sheet. Lets say this sheet is 2048 x 2048. You would then load this sheet using sprite_add. Then, when drawing this character, you would use draw_sprite_part to draw the subimage you need.

This would allow you to load assets externally without incurring any extra texture swap performance penalties. It could make your code a bit more complex so you have to decide if it's worth the effort involved.

Last edited:

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ah ok. Yes I would have to use the sprite_add function. I don't think the function adds sprites to a particular texture page but rather just creates a texture page for each frame but I'll have to look more into this.

Do you know exactly how texture swaps work? When you switch a sprite does Studio load all the subimages at that time or does it load each subimage as the subimage gets displayed? If its the former then I can understand how one can use texture pages effectively to reduce swaps

Twisted_Winds

Smash Rookie
Ah ok. Yes I would have to use the sprite_add function. I don't think the function adds sprites to a particular texture page but rather just creates a texture page for each frame but I'll have to look more into this.
Yes, you use sprite_add to add a large external image holding all your desired assets (Or load multiple large images if you have a lot of art) and then use draw_sprite_part to draw the portion you want to draw at a given point in time. I suspect this is how GM Studio handles drawing sprites internally as well, where a subimage in GMs sprite editor is a portion of the texture page.

Do you know exactly how texture swaps work? When you switch a sprite does Studio load all the subimages at that time or does it load each subimage as the subimage gets displayed? If its the former then I can understand how one can use texture pages effectively to reduce swaps
I'm far from an expert when it comes to texture pages but I can try to explain my understanding of it. GM Studio will load a texture page into memory whenever it's time to draw a sprite that's NOT on the texture page that's already in memory. Now, "in memory" here means the texture page was sent to the GPU and is stored there, I believe. Only a single texture page is loaded into the GPU at any given time, even though there can be multiple pages waiting and ready in RAM.

When GM Studio is processing all the objects it will need to swap texture pages if it finds a sprite that doesn't exist on the page currently loaded. So, maybe a practical example for your game, lets say you have just two characters on screen. Imagine each character's animations can fit onto 3 2048 x 2048 images. That would be 6 texture pages in RAM, with one loaded in the GPU.

The first character is processed and draws a frame of his walk cycle that's on his first texture page. Lets say this page is already in the GPU, so no swaps. Then character two is processed but the sprite he needs drawn is on a different page, so GM swaps to the new page. Lets say some sprite based special effects are on there own texture page as well. When GM gets to processing these, even if they're just draw_sprite lines in a characters draw event GM will have to swap texture pages to draw them and then back again when it needs to draw the characters. Backgrounds also will be placed onto texture pages so there's more swaps each frame.

This is assuming a texture page has just character frames. In reality, if you leave GM alone, the texture page may be unorganized and result in further swaps.

In short, to the best of my knowledge, texture pages are stored in RAM and one of those pages also exists in the GPU at any given time. To answer your question: If you change sprite and the subimage to be drawn that frame is not on the currently loaded texture page (in the GPU) then GM will load the needed texture page into the GPU. Note, it will load the entire texture page into the GPU and not the individual subimages it needs. I can't tell you if this also entails unloading the previous page but it makes sense to me that it would.

A bit of a disclaimer, too, some of the technical information in this post may not be accurate but the concept of how texture pages work should be sound.

kupo15

Smash Hero
If that is the case then I don't see how I can use texture pages to my advantage for performance as I won't be able to fit multiple characters on one texture page let alone one character. This means that if I were to guess Studio is already performing 2 swaps every frame just for the characters, add 6 more swaps per frame if you display character debug information. Plus more swaps for the stages.

If this is true then my game is still running at 60 fps without any swap efficiency which means that there shouldn't be any difference if I were to switch to the sprite_add function. Since using the sprite_add function would mean Studio has to swap every frame because they aren't put on texture pages (which GM says is "bad") but texture pages aren't helping me with swaps anyway sprite_add would actually be an improvement over texture pages because of RAM saving

Twisted_Winds

Smash Rookie
If you use sprite_add to add individual frames then you're looking at a huge number of swaps but if you use sprite_add to add a few larger images containing a large amount of character frames and use draw_sprite_part to draw the frame you want at that point in time you can save on swaps.

http://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/debugging/show_debug_overlay.html

You can also use this function to view how many texture swaps, among other stuff, is going on in your game.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Oh I think I finally understand what you were trying to get at. Instead of creating sprites dedicated for one animation and importing it one animation at a time, you basically are saying to combine multiple animations together to make my own texture page and use draw_sprite_part to pick out what I'll need. Very interesting idea...I see that as a lot of work that can't be automatted for every animation of every character so it'll require a lot of code to simply get running but still something to keep in the back of my mind.

I'll be curious to check out the number of swaps I'm currently using with that debug overlay...when GM gets their stuff together and I can download the latest update and actually open the game haha My thinking is that due to the nature of my assets, already having been using texture pages my swaps are still as if they were individual sprite_add animations which means that switching to sprite_add for each animation won't increase the number of swaps I currently use and it won't require a lot of extra work to implement either

How can you guarantee or explain how I could possibly set up a texture page to even take advantage of reduced swaps if there is no way to predict which characters will be chosen and what animations will be shown? For example even if I was able to fit two characters on one texture page if only one of those two characters are chosen that setup won't reduce the number of swaps. I know that if I tried combining two characters together it would take up multiple pages so if each character does an animation that is on different pages then again there is no advantage using that system for swaps.

It still seems that unless I can fit all the animations possible for each character on the same texture page simply the scope of the game won't permit any reduction in swaps.

Very very clever idea nonetheless, that is thinking lots of the brilliant developers had to do to get the most out of their game in the retro days when hardware was very limiting! :D

Twisted_Winds

Smash Rookie
As far as reducing swaps for characters I really only see two ways to potentially reduce swaps.

1) Have all the most used animations for a given character on one page.
2) Include hit effects and other effect sprites unique to a given character on that characters most used texture page.

The sheer scale of your art assets will probably limit how much you can reduce swaps. You really have to analyze your own game and how much work it would take to make all these changes. If it's more work than reward don't worry about it. In my opinion you would probably gain more by reducing load times than by optimizing texture swaps, possibly by loading art externally.

I'm currently designing my own system for loading external art assets that actually does automate the loading and drawing processes but requires more setup by the developer. If you're curious about the details I don't mind sharing but it may be better to discuss this more via PMs so to not clog up your topic.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I agree, it seems like for the nature of my game the reward for the amount of work for reducing swaps won't be that significant. I'm not running into any performance issues regarding my swaps currently so it doesn't seem necessary to completely revamp the system at this time. However I will send you PM, I'm curious to hear more about your system :)

The reduced load times using sprite_add indeed are going to be more valuable, though I am curious to know, what is the average load times everyone is getting at start up? Mine is only around 3 seconds and with that there are no load times anymore compared to external which will have brief load times. I still want to go back to external loading again because all the ram saved from loading only what is needed will come in handy when we build the HD animations as they will be at least double the frames I have now so loading everything on startup will not be an option

kupo15

Smash Hero

Hi everyone, we have a huge update for you that I'm excited to share, lots of game engine updates, and lots of visuals from the team!

10/20:
-Fixed all pressing "1" crashes
-Fixed replay loading crash
-Able to select P2 in Training with P1
-During hitlag for trades now displays the moves that traded instead of the stun animation
-Adding a Splash Screen
-Re-added dynamic audio loading
-Re-added external loading of backgrounds
-Updated the menu graphics*
-Shrunk the size of hitbox and hurtboxes and scaled back to size in-game to save RAM (no gameplay differences)
-If any sprite is missing, game displays the sprite # that is missing instead of crashing
-Re-added ability to plug controllers in during runtime
-Added back throw for Thief
-Added a frame counter log in training mode
-Added Quit and Change Character in Training
-Fixed input display gltich in training mode when using keyboard
-Fixed combo counter glitch in training mode

Couple of glitches I didn't realize fixed. The biggest update comes in the form of the menu. The graphics have been completely overhauled to be more polished and easier to navigate.

Menu 1.png

Menu 2.png

The character Shade has gone through DRASTIC changes. We felt he needed a complete redesign because he didn't have a good foundation being built from. So during this new concept phase, we ended up with 3 completely different looks, and instead of trying to shoehorn them into the old Ninja's moveset, we decided to make them completely new characters. Here's the new concept for Shade, which will be a later character in the game now.

unnamed.png

While trying to tweak Shade into an idle pose it turned out to produce a new character based off of the old design that we plan to include much later in the future

Finally we've came up with a design to replace the black stick ninja of the first character that is much more fitting than what we originally was proposing. Her name is Reiko

Here is a rough look at her idle animation. Stay tuned and we should have the completed idle hopefully within a week

I'm excited to see what the future brings as we continue to work on the game and hope you find this update exciting :D

Last edited:

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
Is there any way to configure the resolution? Whenever I try to play the game in fullscreen, most of the window is cut off. Additionally, even when I change it to "windowed" mode, the game remains in fullscreen will less cut-off than before, but still too much for me to effectively play the game.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Is there any way to configure the resolution? Whenever I try to play the game in fullscreen, most of the window is cut off. Additionally, even when I change it to "windowed" mode, the game remains in fullscreen will less cut-off than before, but still too much for me to effectively play the game.
This was something I got on the game maker forums where I posted this as well actually. Even though I've been posting there for the past 2 years, the 1080p was a recent switch so it was never brought up but it looks like its something I'm going to have to do. I'll look into it this weekend and hopefully will be able to implement it soon, sorry you aren't able to play this version right now.

In the meantime if you are interested, here is a 4 month old version of the game set in a lower resolution. Its still has all the characters though "Thief" probably is in her WIP state and is prone to crashing. Other than that it should still give you a good idea of the game while I code in an option to change resolutions. What resolution option should I add, is just a 720 version good or should I do something in between that and 1080?

Last edited:

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
Sorry for the late response! I've been pretty busy this weekend. The older version you provided worked flawlessly, so it looks like 720 would work the best. Other than that, even in its current state, the game is a ton of fun. I can't wait to see what it's like later in development!

kupo15

Smash Hero
Thanks for trying out the older version and I'm glad you find the game fun :) I believe there is a way that I can automate Studio to figure out your screen resolution and have it display it at the maximum it can fit which eliminates the need to provide several resolution options.

I'm going to look into it so that you can try out the latest version as well! I'm curious though, who is your favorite character so far?

Last edited:

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
I usually rotate between all the characters when I play, but if I had to choose a favorite, I'd definitely say its Bird. All of the characters are fun to play as and unique, but I really enjoy the way Bird's combos flow. Using his air-dash in the middle of strings is not only rewarding, but also cool looking at the same time. But like I said, I like playing as all of the characters since each brings something different to the table.

kupo15

Smash Hero
haha I shouldn't be surprised it was bird, I have a feeling he is going to be pretty popular for all the reasons you said. Kinda like my fox/falco of the game though I don't think I had them in mind while creating him.

Glad you find them all fun to play and feel unique, it was something I put a lot of attention into while creating them :)

kupo15

Smash Hero
I literally can't play the game. It won't fit my screen.
Yes I recently heard this after releasing this update that people without a 1080 monitor has the game getting cut off as this resolution is a recent change. I thought GM scaled the resolution but I'm mistaken so I'm working on correcting that for those who don't have a 1080 monitor.

In the meantime you can check out this older version of the game that is 720 res. It still plays as well as this update without all the perks and minute tweaks...(also "thief" is in her wip state so is proned to crash the game)

Sorry for the resolution in this version

Last edited:

kupo15

Smash Hero
I literally can't play the game. It won't fit my screen.
Ok I have a small and quick update for those of you who weren't able to play the big update when it was released due to the screen resolution

10/26:
-Added air kick move to "Thief"
-Auto adjust screen resolution
-Splash screen is smaller
-Fixed a physics oversight with Gaston's throws from grabbing an opponent out of the air

Let me know if this works for you or if anything weird happens. I tested with my monitor set to something lower than 1080 and things seemed to work fine

Thanks!

Last edited:

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
Wow, that was pretty fast! I just finished trying the new version out and it it did fix the resolution issue for me. Unfortunately, it looks like my computer can't handle the game because whenever I try to do an attack, jump, grab etc. it freezes temporarily. When it isn't frozen, it runs perfectly. I'm not too sure why this would be the case since I'm able to run other relatively high-quality games without issues. Other than that, I just wanted to thank you for your continued efforts at not only making a great game, but also interacting with the players.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Wow, that was pretty fast! I just finished trying the new version out and it it did fix the resolution issue for me. Unfortunately, it looks like my computer can't handle the game because whenever I try to do an attack, jump, grab etc. it freezes temporarily. When it isn't frozen, it runs perfectly. I'm not too sure why this would be the case since I'm able to run other relatively high-quality games without issues. Other than that, I just wanted to thank you for your continued efforts at not only making a great game, but also interacting with the players.
Glad the resolution was fixed and thanks for the remarks! :)

Hmm, the issues you are having are strange and shouldn't be the case, the game isn't that demanding yet. What are your system specs? I only have an IntelHD and things work fine for me. If you do an attack and the slow down occurs, does the slow down occur if you do the same exact attack again or another one? The slowdown shouldn't be happening at all though.

Some other things to check, is it being played in fullscreen? If you last turned this off because you were trying to fix the resolution problem its still going to be in windowed which is terrible for performance. I'm hoping this is the cause of your issues

If you were in fullscreen, press spacebar at the start screen a debug fps thing pops up, what does it read when you are in the game, how many frames? Lastly did you get a slowdown in the chopped off version? Not sure if you went very far in the game when you saw things were chopped off but I'm curious if you get the slowdown with that version

If all that fails, can you try this? I turned off a vsync setting and am just curious what effect that has on you. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Top Bottom