• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine. " - Gordon Freeman for Smash

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
After more time to think about it, I think I can confidently say Half Life Alyx is my game of the year. Like no joke, there is no game out there that satisfies the same craving I have for it. It's a wonderful experience that I recommend to everyone interested in VR. I'm very optimistic for the future of the Half Life series and I'm glad the wait was worth something in the end.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
After more time to think about it, I think I can confidently say Half Life Alyx is my game of the year. Like no joke, there is no game out there that satisfies the same craving I have for it. It's a wonderful experience that I recommend to everyone interested in VR. I'm very optimistic for the future of the Half Life series and I'm glad the wait was worth something in the end.
I want to play it so badly, but VR is so expensive!

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I want to play it so badly, but VR is so expensive!
Yeah I understand that feeling as well. WMR headsets are the budget options for a VR experience and it's what I used to play Alyx. I managed to find one in an online store heavily discounted, if you keep your eye out for WMR headsets with discounts then you might get them in the $100-$150 price range.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet
According to this, Valve and Nintendo had a meeting and Valve was offered six figures to make an exclusive Switch title. Nintendo must really like and respect Valve to do this. Could Gordon coming to Smash have been seriously discussed in the interview?

EDIT: It looks like GoNintendo took down the Tweet and article. Rip.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
According to this, Valve and Nintendo had a meeting and Valve was offered six figures to make an exclusive Switch title. Nintendo must really like and respect Valve to do this. Could Gordon coming to Smash have been seriously discussed in the interview?
Probably not, though who knows might be a possibility.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

EDIT: It looks like GoNintendo took down the Tweet and article. Rip.
Apparently, Half-Life: Tactics actually was (is?) a thing according to the leaks associated with the source code leak. I presume it's been shelved/cancelled, but if it did exist, it shows that Nintendo consider Half-Life a valuable enough IP that they'd try and get an exclusive Switch title based on the Half-Life IP. I think the RTS concept has merit to it though, and I hope that Valve do revisit the idea now that Half-Life is on the public audience's mind.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Apparently, Half-Life: Tactics actually was (is?) a thing according to the leaks associated with the source code leak. I presume it's been shelved/cancelled, but if it did exist, it shows that Nintendo consider Half-Life a valuable enough IP that they'd try and get an exclusive Switch title based on the Half-Life IP. I think the RTS concept has merit to it though, and I hope that Valve do revisit the idea now that Half-Life is on the public audience's mind.
Yeah, that was the older rumor from the same leaker. I wasn't sure if they were the same deal or not. With the events of the old rumor being before Switch was released, I thought this newer rumor was from a potentially more recent dealing.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I haven't posted in here for a while but about Half-Life: Tactics, it seems the source code leak that happened last month did mention this game and it shows that it was an actual thing that Nintendo came up to Valve to talk about in a meeting. I'll post the quotes I found interesting from the leak in here for future reference.

[3:18:12 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: just got out of the nintendo meeting
[3:18:18 PM] Tyler McVicker: Cool
[3:18:33 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: they offered 6 figures for an exclusive
[3:18:47 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: we're thinking about it
[3:41:09 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: they're using a custom tegra class chip. seems to be on par with xbox one or slightly below
[3:41:13 PM] Tyler McVicker: So they gave Valve 10 units, and want an exclusive
[3:41:27 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: which is damn impressive for a portable
[3:41:43 PM] Tyler McVicker: Did they show off the dock and all that?
[3:42:11 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: they we're very clear about not wanting to pressure us. we can just keep the kits and decide whether or not we want to do anything with them
[3:42:29 PM] Tyler McVicker: Wow they really want HL3
[3:42:45 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: if we do decide to, they would offer between 150k to 400k depending on the franchise
[3:42:56 PM] Tyler McVicker: Haha, they actually do want HL
[3:43:05 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: they specifically asked for an exclusive HL spinoff

And apparently Nintendo talked to Valve about releasing a lite version for the Switch way before they announced it years later
[3:54:06 PM] Tyler McVicker: What's the general feeling of the office after the meeting? You think it might happen?

[3:54:40 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: there's now an NX group on our intranet, only 2 members so far though

[3:54:53 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: that doesn't mean that it's gonna happen as you should know by now

[3:55:24 PM] Tyler McVicker: Well, it's definitely interesting to think about

[3:55:46 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: they gave us a quick overview of the concept and their goals

[3:56:02 PM] Tyler McVicker: Anything more than the reveal went into?

[3:57:44 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: basically, NX is their only home console but it may not be the only handheld

[3:57:53 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: that depends entirely on the success of the switch brand

[3:58:29 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: they're considering a smaller, weaker version for just handheld games

[3:58:38 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: but these games would still run on the regular switch
[3:58:44 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: although not the other way around

[8:18:53 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: woah

[8:19:09 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: the nx group has 6 members

[8:19:55 PM] Tyler McVicker: I do all my work by myself, except for a close friend that I discuss and workshop ideas with.

[8:20:08 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: I almost want to switch to that group for a month or so

[8:20:10 PM] Tyler McVicker: Lol

[8:21:10 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: alright, I'm joining them for the day to see what they're up to

[8:21:23 PM] Tyler McVicker: THe Switch group? Or the HL Group?

[8:21:28 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: switch

[8:21:31 PM] Tyler McVicker: Cool

[8:21:40 PM] Tyler McVicker: So if enough people want to, then it would happen?

[8:21:46 PM] Tyler McVicker: Like that's the only factor at play here?

[8:21:59 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: yep

[8:22:02 PM] Tyler McVicker: Awesome

[8:22:15 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: Gabe is out entire management

[8:22:26 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: our

[8:22:26 PM] Tyler McVicker: Like, it would probably cause some initial backlash, but it would sell incredibly well

[8:22:35 PM] Tyler McVicker: I know, is he a nice guy in real life?
[8:23:49 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: that's my main concern right now. I'm thinking a HL NX announcement would cause riots in the streets

[10/25/2016 9:07:24 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: What are your thoughts on a Half-Life realtime strategy game during the seven hour war? We're thinking there's a lot of potential for touch and IR controls and we can explore a mostly untold part of the timeline.
[10/25/2016 9:08:11 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: We're not sure how we would make that work, considering the humans loose but I'm sure we can figure something out

[10/25/2016 9:20:41 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: but do we want to nuke our reputation and good will from the community for 300k and 80% of sales?

[10/25/2016 9:20:56 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: because that's their offer for something canon in the HL universe

[10/25/2016 9:21:07 PM] Tyler McVicker: But you wouldn't be doing that if you communicate what the hell is going on

[10/25/2016 9:21:45 PM] Tyler McVicker: Even in somewhat broad terms, don't get into the specifcs about each version of the project, but instead explain how Valve works, make parallels to TF2 and HL2, and people will understand

[10/25/2016 9:22:03 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: "look, this game wouldn't exist because of funding by [company x]" has never in the history of gaming been a successfull attempt at damage control

[10/25/2016 9:22:17 PM] Tyler McVicker: The problem Valve is in, is that people think that Valve is money-grubbing, and that you won't release the game because you don't care anymore.

[10/25/2016 9:22:27 PM] Tyler McVicker: Most people think Valve doesn't care anymore.

[10/25/2016 9:22:34 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: just look at how mad people get every time there's an oculus funded exclusive. We're trying to stay out of these things for good reasons

[10/25/2016 9:22:35 PM] Tyler McVicker: And that all you want to do is VR and Paid Sprays.

[10/25/2016 9:23:07 PM] Tyler McVicker: Well, Valve really hasn't been in game releaseing for a few years, and the market has changed.

[10/25/2016 9:23:36 PM] Tyler McVicker: If you try to relase anything, there will be drama, and VAlve has already had it's drama over the last few years.

[10/25/2016 9:23:46 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: And then we're finally announcing the next installment in the Half-Life franchise - all eyes are on our reveal stream and then - the trailer

A ****ING NX GAME

Interesting, so it seems fear of backlash from the fans for making a Switch exclusive is what caused Valve to back out of the idea, especially since they haven't made a Half Life game in over a decade. I wonder if their mentality has changed after Alyx has released and received positive feedback.

Also here's a couple of extra funny things I found from the leak.

[10/25/2016 9:46:45 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: funfact: we wanted to employ kojima but sony outbid us by - like a lot
[10/25/2016 9:47:24 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: not when he visited, way back when all the **** at konami went down
[10/25/2016 9:48:56 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: do you know about the guy who walked into our office, impersonated an employee at the reception and made it to the lower office hallway before secuirty got him?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Liquid Physics in Alyx

That will be useful for when you have to give Gordon that beer you owe him in Half-Life: Barney.
Oh yeah I remember this update. Valve also released a new community toolkit that will help fans with making mods that require lua scripting for the game. It's no Source 2 SDK but it's the next best thing. The workshop is also open so now is the waiting game until people come up with all kinds of creative and wacky mods for Alyx.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Kojima sure likes Half-Life enough to include this much Half-Life themed content.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Kojima sure likes Half-Life enough to include this much Half-Life themed content.
Makes sense since he's good friends with Gabe and Valve. I wonder if we'll see more games ported to Steam that use Half Life as exclusive content for the PC version like FF15.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Well here's something pretty big. Geoff Keighley just dropped his Half Life Alyx documentary and it revealed Valve's skeletons.

I just went through the documentary. It was an interesting read. There's hoping Valve has learned their lesson about developing games on unfinished engines. Still happy to read that Valve wants to make more Half-Life titles, particularly a full scale Half-Life title for traditional platforms (meaning non-VR).

It also included plenty of mentions of Nintendo and their titles (like Wii Sports and Legend of Zelda). The major mentions of Nintendo relates to Valve wanting to be more than just a game developer.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Here's a Half-Life content selection that was made by the user SlimeDoseGames on PapaGenos Discord server.

He also made ones for the Chell and Team Fortress.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Whelp, I'm back again with yet another version of Godon's moveset for Smash.
This time I felt like I wanted to redo it in a way that better represents the FPS genre as much as it did Half Life (2), especially after redoing my old Doomguy moveset, pulling some ideas from that as well.

Gordon Freeman Moveset.jpg

As usual, here's a link to the image elsewhere, so that it's a lot easier to read: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/50146045287/in/dateposted-public/

Eldrake

Smash Lord

It keeps happening. At this rate we might actually get to see Gordon Freeman in Smash.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Why haven't I posted here before? Consider me a supporter! Half-Life's been a big favorite of mine since I played through the core games in 2014.

Gordon's plethora of weapons would make him an awesome fighter to play as in Smash. Seeing any major Valve character join the battle would be hype, honestly.

Look at this gorgeous SSBU Gordon Freeman render!

Just like the Heavy Smash Ultimate render, this is pretty much how I'd want Gordon to look if he made the cut.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Guys, if Gordon Freeman ever met Marx, is it canonically possible for Gordon to defeat Marx with all of his weapons?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Dunno about Regular Gordon Freeman, but Speedrun Gordon Freeman effortlessly defeats Marx without breaking a sweat.
The better question is whether Speedrun Gordon Freeman can beat Speedrun Mario. Both have broken the rules of reality and cannot be contained.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Not today, sorry for the double post. However...

So Steve was in development for three years. Now we know Valve was in talks with Nintendo for quite some time to make a Half-Life game on Switch. Tactics might have been canceled, but part of the deal might have been Smash related. Could Gordon have been in development for a similar length of time as Steve?

I think this probably fits better for actual rumored characters like Ryu Hayabusa or maaaaaybe Doomguy, but who knows?

Last edited:
Top Bottom