• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine. " - Gordon Freeman for Smash

Eldrake

Smash Lord
So, no announcement at TGA. Huh. For that matter, we got almost no announcements at all from the Nintendo side of the industry. Maybe we're getting a direct later this month after all?

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
So, no announcement at TGA. Huh. For that matter, we got almost no announcements at all from the Nintendo side of the industry. Maybe we're getting a direct later this month after all?
A December direct, I kinda like the sound of that. I’m a little bummed that there was almost nothing, but perhaps that does point to all the good stuff being announced in a Nintendo direct.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think we'll get a direct at January/February. With the year coming to a close the Fighters Pass deadline for February comes closer and closer.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I’m back again to say that I’ve revamped the hell out of my old moveset, so I figured I’d go ahead and post it here, since a lot of the stuff in the original one needed changing.

F26FE1DE-75A3-4EBA-B738-856EBDBDD6E9.jpeg

Also, here’s a link to the image on Flickr, since Smashboards usually compresses images to be too small to read certain parts of them: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49200431913/

as usual, feel free to use it in the OP!

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Heads up, someone manged to test Half-Life Alyx on different VR headsets and get more gameplay recorded for the public.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Everyone can now play any Half-Life title until Alyx's release. I'm pretty sure this means that anyone can open a new Steam account and then play some of the greatest FPS games of all time.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Eldrake

Smash Lord
it doesn't sound the same in terms of instruments, oh well why complain.
Path of Borealis is an unofficial remix made by DJ Dain, actually. But a Smash remix of Triage at Dawn to sound closer to Path of Borealis could happen.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Path of Borealis is an unofficial remix made by DJ Dain, actually. But a Smash remix of Triage at Dawn to sound closer to Path of Borealis could happen.
wow, i didn't know, i love the remix even after figuring out it's not official.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
wow, i didn't know, i love the remix even after figuring out it's not official.
Hey, I'm not saying it's bad in any way whatsoever, personally I consider it a great remix. I'm just saying that as a matter of fact that it's an unofficial remix.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Sorry for the double post, but remember my posts about a potential Half-Life mii costume being a Headcrab Mii Hat? It just happened, but in an entirely different game.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sorry for the double post, but remember my posts about a potential Half-Life mii costume being a Headcrab Mii Hat? It just happened, but in an entirely different game.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Hahaha

I love how developers who port their big title games to PC later after their console debut decide to add a Half-Life crossover with the port. There was the FFXV PC port and now there's the Death Stranding PC port.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Anyways it seems we have some brand new gameplay videos of Half Life Alyx, the more we get closer to the game's release date the more excited I become:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Hahaha

I love how developers who port their big title games to PC later after their console debut decide to add a Half-Life crossover with the port. There was the FFXV PC port and now there's the Death Stranding PC port.
Incidentally, these two big title games are from japanese developers. I don't know how popular Half-Life is in Japan, but maybe it might be some kind of a cult classic for some japanese devs?

Hahaha
Anyways it seems we have some brand new gameplay videos of Half Life Alyx, the more we get closer to the game's release date the more excited I become:
[snip]
I have no idea what the combat music in the third video is called and I currently have no way to hear it in its entirety without ingame noise, but I know that it HAS to be included in my Dream Gordon Fighter Pack.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Incidentally, these two big title games are from japanese developers. I don't know how popular Half-Life is in Japan, but maybe it might be some kind of a cult classic for some japanese devs?
Perhaps so. Valve and Steam played a big role in providing a system of choice for Japanese gamers, before then PC gaming was very niche in Japan. Because of Valve's influence I can see why some Japanese developers would look at Valve as the face of PC gaming, and by proxy, Half Life.

Nanatsu

Smash Rookie
I prefer Gordon if we're getting a Valve character. Not only is he extremely important to Valve's history and gaming in general, but Half-Life is the inspiration for Team Fortress 2 and Portal. I feel it's more appropriate if he got in first.

With that said, Sakurai did comment on Half-Life 2 and it's importance before:
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/07/12/feelofamericangames/
To be fair, Quake was actually the inspiration for TF2, but your point still stands.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Sonic: Hello everyone, I'm Sonic the Hedgehog, the video game character with the cutest baby version!
Barnacle: HOLD MY BARREL.
barnacle babies.png

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Valve: We absolutely see Half-Life: Alyx as our return to this world, not the end of it."

"What would you like to say to fans who are hoping this means you’re still working on Half-Life 3?"

"Half-Life means a lot to us, and it's been incredibly rewarding to refamiliarise ourselves with its characters, setting, and mechanics. There are Half-Life: Alyx team members who have been at Valve since Half-Life 2, and quite a few who go back to the original Half-Life. There are also people on the team for whom Half-Life: Alyx is their first time working on this series at all - and many of them certainly hope it's not the last. We absolutely see Half-Life: Alyx as our return to this world, not the end of it."

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Valve: We absolutely see Half-Life: Alyx as our return to this world, not the end of it."

"What would you like to say to fans who are hoping this means you’re still working on Half-Life 3?"

"Half-Life means a lot to us, and it's been incredibly rewarding to refamiliarise ourselves with its characters, setting, and mechanics. There are Half-Life: Alyx team members who have been at Valve since Half-Life 2, and quite a few who go back to the original Half-Life. There are also people on the team for whom Half-Life: Alyx is their first time working on this series at all - and many of them certainly hope it's not the last. We absolutely see Half-Life: Alyx as our return to this world, not the end of it."
I'm glad we finally have a confirmation that there's more to come after Alyx. I think this might be the first time in a decade where Valve directly answered a question related to Half Life 3.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

After more than a decade of development, Black Mesa 1.0 has finally been released. As someone who has played and enjoyed Black Mesa from beginning to end and will do it again the next time my computer is upgraded, I wholeheartedly encourage everyone to BUY THIS MASTERPIECE OF A FANMADE REMAKE.

Edit: You know, it's a shame I can't put Black Mesa music in my Dream Fighter Pack soundtrack, or this and this would be in it.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

After more than a decade, Black Mesa 1.0 has finally been released. As someone who has played and enjoyed Black Mesa from beginning to end and will do it again the next time my computer is upgraded, I wholeheartedly encourage everyone to BUY THIS MASTERPIECE OF A FANMADE REMAKE.

Edit: You know, it's a shame I can't put Black Mesa music in my Dream Fighter Pack soundtrack, or this and this would be in it.

After 15 years of development hopefully it was worth the weight.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Today's Half-Life fact: A little known fact is that back in the original Half-Life, Gordon Freeman had a ponytail.

gordon ponytail.jpg

Then he cut it by the time of Half-Life 2. That's why there's a security guard in the opening area of Black Mesa who says "Aww man, you cut the ponytail. Sellout."

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is this question; let's say hypothetically that not only is Gordon in Smash, but he gets two distinct looks for alternate costumes, one based on his Half-Life 1 appearance and HEV suit, and one based on his Half-Life 2 appearance and HEV suit. Do you think that Sakurai would give him his ponytail back for his Half-Life 1 style alt?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Today's Half-Life fact: A little known fact is that back in the original Half-Life, Gordon Freeman had a ponytail.

View attachment 265356
Then he cut it by the time of Half-Life 2. That's why there's a security guard in the opening area of Black Mesa who says "Aww man, you cut the ponytail. Sellout."

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is this question; let's say hypothetically that not only is Gordon in Smash, but he gets two distinct looks for alternate costumes, one based on his Half-Life 1 appearance and HEV suit, and one based on his Half-Life 2 appearance and HEV suit. Do you think that Sakurai would give him his ponytail back for his Half-Life 1 style alt?
Honestly I'd say yes. Sakurai's attention to detail is impressive, something like this won't miss him.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Half Life Alyx's preload is now available to download on Steam if you have the game on your library. The game is gonna release on Monday 10 AM PT, so if you're looking to get a first second look in the game here you go.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

If you ever wanted to punt a headcrab using a chair, here's your dream game.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Okay, enough days has gone by that I believe it's okay for me to post about this in this thread.

Oh my god. That ending. Valve made an exceptionally ballsy move upending that cliffhanger in favor of a brand new one. Also, that not-so-subtle tease at Half-Life 3

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Okay, enough days has gone by that I believe it's okay for me to post about this in this thread.

Oh my god. That ending. Valve made an exceptionally ballsy move upending that cliffhanger in favor of a brand new one. Also, that not-so-subtle tease at Half-Life 3
I was waiting for this...

Oh, most definitely, but they sure did it in style. They better act on that tease as well, as that thing is pretty much a promise that Half-Life 3 is a thing. It's pretty much saying "No, Gordon will be back in action eventually, crowbar and all."

Very risky all around.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I was waiting for this...

Oh, most definitely, but they sure did it in style. They better act on that tease as well, as that thing is pretty much a promise that Half-Life 3 is a thing. It's pretty much saying "No, Gordon will be back in action eventually, crowbar and all."

Very risky all around.
Considering that Valve in an earlier interview has claimed that Alyx won't be the last with their return to the franchise, Half-Life 3 better be a game they're working on, especially with that tease.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Considering that Valve in an earlier interview has claimed that Alyx won't be the last with their return to the franchise, Half-Life 3 better be a game they're working on, especially with that tease.
The question now is: Will HL3 be VR or not? I feel like it won't be, as beyond things like lacking accessibility to VR and Valve already making the big VR Half-Life they wanted, swinging a crowbar in VR would probably get tiring after awhile.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
The question now is: Will HL3 be VR or not? I feel like it won't be, as beyond things like lacking accessibility to VR and Valve already making the big VR Half-Life they wanted, swinging a crowbar in VR would probably get tiring after awhile.
I see two possiblities. Either it will be full VR, or it will come in two versions; flat version that plays closer to Half-Life and Half-Life 2 than Alyx, and a VR version that plays more like Alyx. I think it's a 50/50 at this point.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I see two possiblities. Either it will be full VR, or it will come in two versions; flat version that plays closer to Half-Life and Half-Life 2 than Alyx, and a VR version that plays more like Alyx. I think it's a 50/50 at this point.
I feel like option two is very unlikely, as that would probably result in both experiences being rather watered down to allow for the other. I doubt that is something they want.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Oh boy I just finished Alyx. The game did not disappoint at all, it was a 12 hour ride that kept surprising me with new things.

AHHHHH THAT ENDING

Top Bottom