• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine. " - Gordon Freeman for Smash

Graizen

Smash Champion
As a Half Life player and Counter Strike player, i support Gordon!

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I’m pretty sure this was mentioned awhile back, but there is an official Half Life 2 arcade machine titled “Half Life Survivor” which was only in Japan, so there’s that. There was also a Gordon Freeman costume in FF15, and Final Fantasy’s a big deal over in Japan so that must’ve at least gotten Gordon’s name out over there if they hadn’t heard of him yet.

But if we’re talking about whether or not Japan likes Half Life, it’s hard to say. It seems that the general population didn’t ever get a chance to play it, and if they did, it was probably a niche audience at the time.

But I don’t live in Japan, nor do I know much about Japan’s gaming preferences, so I could be way off the mark!
Halo is also in similar situation. Halo got Minecraft skin on Nintendo system. It got anime from several Japanese studios. It also had comic/manga from Japanese artist. In short, it's all fair game.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I spend a lot of time in the Geno support thread and to pass the time they will sometimes ask other members some questions, so I thought of one for this board. What’s everyone’s favorite Half Life game?

I’m personally a big fan of Half Life 1 and Blue Shift. I’m interested to know what your guys’s are

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I spend a lot of time in the Geno support thread and to pass the time they will sometimes ask other members some questions, so I thought of one for this board. What’s everyone’s favorite Half Life game?

I’m personally a big fan of Half Life 1 and Blue Shift. I’m interested to know what your guys’s are
Opposing Force.

Looma

Smash Journeyman

I think my favorite is Half-Life 2. The imagery and atmosphere of the Citadel and City 17 is some of the best I've ever seen. The oppressiveness is done so well, definitely my choice of potential Smash Bros stage. Also the ragdolls are in fierce competition with the HL1 gibs for which one can make me giggle like a child more

I'd almost call it a tie with HL1 if it weren't for Zen and the Nihilanth fight ruining it at the end.

I WANT TO BE ON THE GROUND

STOP
TELEPORTING
ME

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Opposing Force.
Opposing Forces, solid option!

I think my favorite is Half-Life 2. The imagery and atmosphere of the Citadel and City 17 is some of the best I've ever seen. The oppressiveness is done so well, definitely my choice of potential Smash Bros stage. Also the ragdolls are in fierce competition with the HL1 gibs for which one can make me giggle like a child more

I'd almost call it a tie with HL1 if it weren't for Zen and the Nihilanth fight ruining it at the end.

I WANT TO BE ON THE GROUND

STOP
TELEPORTING
ME
Wholeheartedly agree, Half Life 2’s atmosphere is so oppressing and threatening, it really immersed me into the game world.

Also yeah Nihilanth fight is kind of annoying. Dumb floating alien baby.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman

For me it would be Half-Life 2, I have too many fond memories of it. And an honorable mention to HL1 because it gave us Freeman's Mind.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Sakurai did talk about Half-Life 2 in the past so a possibility definitely exists. Said how the game's got a Nintendo vibe to it.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Just watched the latest PapaGenos video and learned about all this Gordon Freemen stuff.

While Gordon Freeman is certainly not my top choice(Even when it comes to Valve, as that would go to Heavy), he would certainly be quite the hype character. He would be on a similar level to Cloud when it comes to the hype of being included in Smash, and I imagine you could do some unique things for his moveset. I do wonder what his stage would be though(As well as cameos, as those have been a consistent factor in these DLC stages).

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I do wonder what his stage would be though(As well as cameos, as those have been a consistent factor in these DLC stages).
From HL2, it has to be either a war-torn City 17 or somewhere within the Citadel. Otherwise maybe that teleporting room where it all began in HL1. Black Mesa was arguably the most iconic place after all and I can see the shenanigans they can pull with the portal there. Have other characters like Chell, Glados, the TF2 mercenaries come in and go with G-Man on a catwalk in the background observing the fight.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
From HL2, it has to be either a war-torn City 17 or somewhere within the Citadel. Otherwise maybe that teleporting room where it all began in HL1. Black Mesa was arguably the most iconic place after all and I can see the shenanigans they can pull with the portal there. Have other characters like Chell, Glados, the TF2 mercenaries come in and go and G-Man in the background on the catwalk, etc..
I don't know if the TF2 cast would show up(Unlike Portal, I don't recall them being apart of the same universe), but the others could happen.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if the TF2 cast would show up(Unlike Portal, I don't recall them being apart of the same universe), but the others could happen.
Then again, we did see that scout bobblehead in the trailer for HL:A. What would be cool for the test chamber map is if it would teleport between that and Xen like in the game. Seeing Xen with Smash-quality assets would be really cool.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
The scientists in Half-Life have mentioned the existence of multiple universes so it wouldn't exactly be impossible to show off other Valve games.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I could definitely see them pulling an SNK and springing for music from Counter-Strike, TF2, Portal, and Left 4 Dead to go with Freeman and a Half-Life stage.

Definitely not from Dota though.

SKX31

Smash Master
I could definitely see them pulling an SNK and springing for music from Counter-Strike, TF2, Portal, and Left 4 Dead to go with Freeman and a Half-Life stage.

Definitely not from Dota though.
On one hand, Dota 2's OST is much much different from the others (being orchestral and mostly low-key otherwise), so I can see where you're coming from.

On the other, Terry came along with Psycho Soldier (okay sure, Athena is a KOF regular, but GLaDOS is a Dota 2 announcer). I don't think it'll be much of a problem to include music from even Dota along with Gordon.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
While Dota 2 do have good music, I feel the problem is that it wouldn't really fit a Half-Life stage, so it would probably be better to just go for the other FPS games from Valve.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Gonna go with Half-Life 2. I replayed it recently and I came to appreciate it even more than before. It mixes different mechanics and ideas together and it works out quite well. The game feels natural when it transitions from stage to stage and I never felt like the game was being tedious.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

My personal choice would have to be Half-Life 1 or Opposing Force.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
Well, the guy who created the Gordon Freeman leak, Monsün, just admitted to faking it over in Sabi Squad. Vergeben himself also said that Fighter #5 is not Gordon Freeman just a few hours ago as well. A shame, this leak did generate a lot of discussion about Gordon Freeman and showed that people would not be against the character, but I don't think that his time is now.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Well, the guy who created the Gordon Freeman leak, Monsün, just admitted to faking it over in Sabi Squad. Vergeben himself also said that Fighter #5 is not Gordon Freeman just a few hours ago as well. A shame, this leak did generate a lot of discussion about Gordon Freeman and showed that people would not be against the character, but I don't think that his time is now.
Technically he could still be fighter 5. This particular leak might be fake but it doesn't discount him as being fighter 5.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Gordon not being FP5 doesn't disconfirm him period, just like how the 2ch Dragon Quest leak being fake didn't disconfirm Dragon Quest at all.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
At the very least, the leak brought interest to Gordan Freeman. That in combination with Half Life coming back will certainly have support for him increase due to exsposure.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I feel like it was glaringly obvious that the Smash info was bunk by the time wasabi and jermaFear's convo came out, honestly surprised that it got humored so much when it was self admitted bait.

Regardless, this is a net gain for orange box glasses man. There's serious discussion about him now, which is far more than he had before.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Honestly the Monsun leak being deconfirmed hasn’t swayed my outlook on Gordon’s chances. I figured Half Life Alyx being announced before the VGAs to drum up interest in Half Life again was a big deal and made Gordon a somewhat likely candidate for Smash.

Let’s keep the fight strong Gordon Gang!
Edit: Hey EarlTamm EarlTamm , glad to see you in here amigo :^)

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I've decided to come up with a few spirit battles for a hypothetical Half-Life spirit board.

Headcrab
Fighter: 4x Mii Brawlers with Headcrab Hats
Stage: Luigi's Mansion (representing Ravenholm)
Conditions: Stamina Battle [150% stamina for Player, 80% stamina for the Headcrab Zombies)
The enemy has super armor but moves slower
Hostile assist trophies will appear [Metroid]

Tentacle
Fighter: Giant Green Ridley
Stage: Frigate Orpheon
Conditions: Timed Stamina Battle [150% stamina for player, 500% stamina for opponent. 1:30]
Survive until the timer runs out
The enemy favors down special
The enemy's down special has increased power [Maximum increased power]

Gargantua
Fighter: Giant Blue Bowser
Stage: Black Moses Island
Conditions: Stamina Battle [150% stamina for player, 999% stamina for opponent]
The enemy has super armor and is hard to launch or make flinch
The enemy fighter will suddenly take damage (Representing airstrikes)

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I was gonna make an image akin to the one I made for the Geno board, but with Half-Life characters. However, image editing is my kryptonite so uh...

017DD89B-CF68-4BB6-A7F9-791BFBFE0889.jpeg
Headcrabs and roasted Turkey look kinda similar, huh? Haha I’m phoning in now, have a good night everyone.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I was gonna make an image akin to the one I made for the Geno board, but with Half-Life characters. However, image editing is my kryptonite so uh...

View attachment 248595Headcrabs and roasted Turkey look kinda similar, huh? Haha I’m phoning in now, have a good night everyone.
Funny that you're posting this, because Valve are having a thanksgiving with a headcrab.
I bet it tastes like chicken.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The entire Half-Life series has a 90% discount on Steam right now. I decided to share this here just in case there's someone out there who hasn't tried the Half-Life games and is interested.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I've never in my entire life even thought about Gordon being in Smash, but I'd support him. I've always been a big Half-Life fan. Plus Alyx as an echo would be really cool. Definitely add me to the supporters list.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
The entire Half-Life series has a 90% discount on Steam right now. I decided to share this here just in case there's someone out there who hasn't tried the Half-Life games and is interested.
For those who want to know how cheap that is right now, the complete bundle is like 5,10 euros. The complete collection also includes Team Fortress Classic.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Been playing HL2 recently, and I used the gravity gun to grab some poor combine soldier's grenade and throw it back at him. That got me thinking that if Gordon Freeman made it to Smash, he definitely needs to be able to grab Snake's grenades and similar special attacks wih the gravity gun. It's already possible to grab Snake's grenade, so it would be inexcusable if the gravity gun couldn't do that.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Been playing HL2 recently, and I used the gravity gun to grab some poor combine soldier's grenade and throw it back at him. That got me thinking that if Gordon Freeman made it to Smash, he definitely needs to be able to grab Snake's grenades and similar special attacks wih the gravity gun. It's already possible to grab Snake's grenade, so it would be inexcusable if the gravity gun couldn't do that.
I never thought of it that way lol
I think the gravity gun should work for all projectiles in Smash. It can move physical objects and energy objects like the energy balls in the citadel. Samus' charge shot for example could be grabbed by the gravity gun and fired back. If this is incorporated in Smash then Gordon would be a nightmare to zoners lol

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Having just finished replaying HL2 (planning to replay the two episodes), the Dark Energy Gun got me thinking. The Gravity Gun would most likely be Gordon's grab with traits of the Dark Energy version to justify it grabbing opponents too, but when I think about it, the grab probably wouldn't use the typical "grabbed" animation for anyone caught by the Gravity Gun, because it would leave them suspended in mid-air, which the standard grabbed animation generally don't suit too well. So I am gonna ask this question. When Gordon's Gravity Gun grabs an enemy, how should the enemy's grabbed animation work? There's some options I can think of.

1: Completely new grabbed animations for when a fighter is suspended in mid-air with the gravity gun. Probably the most difficult option, as that would require creating brand new animations for 75+ fighters in the roster just for one character's unique grab.
2: Ragdoll animation just like in the game when you grab a hapless overwatch soldier. Faithful, but might look weird and probably won't look great in practice. It might also be straight up impossible in Ultimate's engine.
3: Just the standard grabbed animation. The simple option.
4: Something else?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Having just finished replaying HL2 (planning to replay the two episodes), the Dark Energy Gun got me thinking. The Gravity Gun would most likely be Gordon's grab with traits of the Dark Energy version to justify it grabbing opponents too, but when I think about it, the grab probably wouldn't use the typical "grabbed" animation for anyone caught by the Gravity Gun, because it would leave them suspended in mid-air, which the standard grabbed animation generally don't suit too well. So I am gonna ask this question. When Gordon's Gravity Gun grabs an enemy, how should the enemy's grabbed animation work? There's some options I can think of.

1: Completely new grabbed animations for when a fighter is suspended in mid-air with the gravity gun. Probably the most difficult option, as that would require creating brand new animations for 75+ fighters in the roster just for one character's unique grab.
2: Ragdoll animation just like in the game when you grab a hapless overwatch soldier. Faithful, but might look weird and probably won't look great in practice. It might also be straight up impossible in Ultimate's engine.
3: Just the standard grabbed animation. The simple option.
4: Something else?
How about it leaves the opponent in the grounded animation but in mid air? It's probably not the most practical option but besides the standard grabbed animation I think this might be the second most reasonable option.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Game Awards tomorrow everyone! If I remember correctly, there’s gonna be some more info on Half-Life Alyx shown there, so definitely tune in for that. There’s also the possibility of the 5th DLC character being shown off there, so that’s also exciting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom