• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine. " - Gordon Freeman for Smash

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Just a postly reminder that HL:A will be unveiled in one hour, assuming Valve time doesn't strike.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
That leak is fake. The "leaker" isn't even a real leaker, he's a troll who leaks info that's already out there. The whole Gordon in Smash thing was just to bait PapaGenos into making a video. It didn't work on PapaGenos, but it did on LaxChris!

Just a postly reminder that HL:A will be unveiled in one hour, assuming Valve time doesn't strike.
I can't wait! I'm so happy Half-Life is coming back.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Not gonna lie, I was honestly expecting them to mess it up somehow. I've never been this happy to be wrong.

I don't have VR so I can't play it, but it looks very promising.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yea, I'm very much intrigued by Alyx.

Given how VR as a field has kind of stumbled recently (after the various launches that is), I believe Valve made the right call here. Of course, pre-release, and I don't think I'll be getting a VR setup in time (need to get a new computer for one). But it reaffirms one thing: Valve hasn't forgotten about their thought processes with the old games. Aka. break new ground.

Also, full compatibility with Steam Workshop. If the game is good (and it really looks like it) it will have a very long life just like TF2, Dota 2 and CS:GO.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Have a feeling that if Half Life: Alyx hits the cylinders correctly, this will be the game that forever influences the VR genre.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Also, full compatibility with Steam Workshop. If the game is good (and it really looks like it) it will have a very long life just like TF2, Dota 2 and CS:GO.
Source 2 SDK tools are also going to get dropped with the game for the community to use. This is very very exciting since community creation led to mods like Counter Strike. I can only imagine what type of games the community would create when the tools are available to them. Half-Life Alyx won't just be a game release, it will also start a new era of modding for VR gaming. This game very well could change the entire VR market as we know it.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Sabi Gordon.jpg

So the Monsun leak might not have been trolling after all. But ultimately we don't know. Maybe Gordon could be #5. Maybe not.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Great, this is gonna be one heck of a ride forward to TGA. At least it's just less than a month until we know for certain and not 6 months of uncertainty and anxiety like Dragon Quest fans had to endure.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
While my most wanted Valve character is Heavy, I would also be okay with the Freeman, mostly for the crazy gameplay with the gravity gun.

So what I’m saying is get me on the supporter list!

Eldrake

Smash Lord
New Gordon Freeman figure coming
If Gordon truly is FP Fighter #5, then it'd mean that Valve's higher-ups timed HL:A, this and possibly more Half-Life-related surprises coming, knowing that Gordon as Smash DLC will cause a burst of interest in the Half-Life series and potentially other Valve IPs.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
If Gordon truly is FP Fighter #5, then it'd mean that Valve's higher-ups timed HL:A, this and possibly more Half-Life-related surprises coming, knowing that Gordon as Smash DLC will cause a burst of interest in the Half-Life series and potentially other Valve IPs.
My wallet was not prepared for new Half Life merch, oh man

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It really is bizarre to see so much Half-Life love and content after a drought that lasted over a decade.

I think it's a safe bet to say we might get more Half-Life stuff shown at the game awards. The game is getting released on March so the game awards make sense as a suitable place to show some more info on the game before release. Plus I'm sure Geoff would kill to have Half-Life in his event.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
It probably means nothing, but I'm getting some real Banjo-Kazooie flashbacks over here...

KillerCage

Smash Master
It probably means nothing, but I'm getting some real Banjo-Kazooie flashbacks over here...
I was about to mention that Banjo and Kazooie got new merch before they were revealed to be in Smash.
With this merch, is history going to repeat itself but for Gordon Freeman this time round?

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I think it's a safe bet to say we might get more Half-Life stuff shown at the game awards. The game is getting released on March so the game awards make sense as a suitable place to show some more info on the game before release. Plus I'm sure Geoff would kill to have Half-Life in his event.
Geoff’s “Final Hours” series he did for the Half Life games really show how passionate he is about the games. Geoff would be ecstatic to show Gordon in Smash.

I wonder if event organizers are able to request which characters they get to show. But I could be way off, maybe they don’t have that close of a relation with Smash DLC and it’s release dates.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Add me to the list please. HL, TF2, Portal, ect were some of my first experiences that really turned me deep into the gaming community.

The fact that the HL franchise is not completely dead anymore, and there is now some circumstantial evidence, really makes me want to believe.

Plus, I really want to see some TF2 spirits too if possible.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
What position are we at with this leak? Apprently it was meant to bait PapaGenos, but then Sabi comes out and says it potentially isn’t?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
What position are we at with this leak? Apprently it was meant to bait PapaGenos, but then Sabi comes out and says it potentially isn’t?
It could be real but it's probably fake. Even if the leaker was in fact someone with legit information on Half-Life: Alyx he could have very well just put in fake Smash info just like how the Dante leaker did last year. Right now I'm treating it as fake until something more concrete pops up.

Even without the leak Gordon still has a decent chance. He represents Valve, Steam, and pretty much PC gaming as a whole. Sakurai played the Half-Life games and loved them. Gordon would also bring so many unique weapons and mechanics to Smash. We'll just have to wait and see until then.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I personally don't believe the leak, but it did get people to start talking seriously about Gordon, so I see it as a win.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I have such fond memories of the Half Life series and I'm super pumped for HL:A! A Valve rep, whether it's Chell, a TF2 class, or Gordon would be NUTS. Sign me up.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
View attachment 247576

So the Monsun leak might not have been trolling after all. But ultimately we don't know. Maybe Gordon could be #5. Maybe not.
Sabi has said he doesn't know who Fighter #5 is yet. In fact barely anyone besides people in the industry at this point know who Fighter #5 is. Whoever they are will probably get revealed at The Game Awards which is in a couple weeks, but until then we're left in the dark. If anything we've had more of a process of elimination lately, with Crash, Doomguy, Geno, Ryu Hayabusa, and Scorpion all being said as not being Fighter #5 (not that it rules them out as future additions of course). Regardless, Fighter #5 is a complete enigma and no reliable source has came out publicly with anything concrete at the moment.

Now as for my opinion on Gordon Freeman as a fighter, I wouldn't be against him. Of course I'd find Chell, any of the TF2 mercenaries, or even someone from DOTA 2 as a more viable/interesting pick in my opinion. But Gordon Freeman isn't the worst choice either. I think the amount of hype he would generate would be mixed in reception though, especially with how there's a lot of people who don't care much for Steam/Valve these days. I'm sure Sakurai could make him work as a fighter with a solid enough moveset, and hopefully that would mean some non-DRM ports of the Half-Life games onto the Switch. Still, I think that Gordon Freeman would be better received years ago, even with Half-Life Alyx finally being a thing now. I can't imagine Gabe Newell passing up on the chance to work with Nintendo, especially since his favorite game of all time is Super Mario 64. But again, I think this would be better received by people in this was for Smash 4 instead since while Valve is no EA or Bethesda, they're not as highly regarded as they used to be.,

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I got to thinking about that Gravity Gun of his and how sick it could be. Like imagine Pocket on steroids that you can aim.

I think the Gravity Gun alone makes Gordon one of the most interesting potential FPS picks, to say nothing of the rest of his artillery.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I got to thinking about that Gravity Gun of his and how sick it could be. Like imagine Pocket on steroids that you can aim.

I think the Gravity Gun alone makes Gordon one of the most interesting potential FPS picks, to say nothing of the rest of his artillery.
Gravity Gun just sounds like such a unique moveset addition. I hope if Gordon got added it was used in a way like you described and not as some sort of tether grab or something.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

The gravity gun is interesting, I’m wondering how exactly it would function in smash bros. I’ve seen some people say it should be used as his grab or as a command grab, but the gravity gun couldn’t grab enemies until it was temporarily supercharged so it would be kind of unfitting of the gameplay of Half-Life, It working somewhat like Pocket seems more fitting.

Also anybody have an idea for what Gordon’s recovery could be? Most of his moveset writes itself but this one stumped me.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
The gravity gun is interesting, I’m wondering how exactly it would function in smash bros. I’ve seen some people say it should be used as his grab or as a command grab, but the gravity gun couldn’t grab enemies until it was temporarily supercharged so it would be kind of unfitting of the gameplay of Half-Life, It working somewhat like Pocket seems more fitting.

Also anybody have an idea for what Gordon’s recovery could be? Most of his moveset writes itself but this one stumped me.
The GordonForSmash Twitter account said the Long Jump Module could be his up special, which I can get down with!

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
https://twitter.com/TheJediSonic/status/1154055945212891138?s=20
Ok, someone from the Heavy support thread here, not sure if this was posted here before, but somebody asked Gabe Newell if Heavy was possible for smash and he responded with saying they are all for it if Nintendo wishes to do something with their characters, this includes Gorden Freeman.
While I see this as evidence that Gordon is not in fact Fighter #5, since this was asked back in July and all the DLC characters were already planned by then, I hope we get to see at least one Valve character for season 2.
Put me up on that support list! I would love to see Gorden Freeman!

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
After seeing the leaks, I fully support the idea of Gordon Freeman in smash! Can you add me to the supporters list?

For his moveset, I was imagining the Tau cannon as his neutral special and the gravity gun for his grab attacks. Maybe his final smash could involve Dog?

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
So i've already posted this in the Newcomer speculation thread, but I think it needs to be said here: The Monsun is definitely fake.
Sabi admitted in the PapaGeno's Discord Server that Monsun made that leak specifically to bait Papa into making a video about it:

This of course doesn't mean that Gordon will not be in Smash, or even that he won't be FP5. It just means that it doesn't have this specific leak in favor of his inclusion. But he's undeniably a gaming icon and Sakurai is aware of Half Life and its impact on the medium.

So keep on fighting the good fight and don't lose hope just yet.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
So it has both sides of approval from what I see. Sakurai openly praised Half-Life 2, and Gabe has favorite Nintendo game and stated his approval as well. So the only issues are Nintendo (Ultimately, it's up to them. There isn't much Sakurai can do if higher up isn't up to idea)... and presence in Japan. I really really hate this argument. Does presence in Japan really matter that much?

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
So it has both sides of approval from what I see. Sakurai openly praised Half-Life 2, and Gabe has favorite Nintendo game and stated his approval as well. So the only issues are Nintendo (Ultimately, it's up to them. There isn't much Sakurai can do if higher up isn't up to idea)... and presence in Japan. I really really hate this argument. Does presence in Japan really matter that much?
This has happened before with Joker. Sakurai praised the heck out of Persona 5 and he's bizarrely the first in the pass. We could see the same happening again with Gordon. With the recent HL:A announcement and supposedly more to come at TGA's, it's not that far fetched to assume we could get Gordon in smash.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I’m pretty sure this was mentioned awhile back, but there is an official Half Life 2 arcade machine titled “Half Life Survivor” which was only in Japan, so there’s that. There was also a Gordon Freeman costume in FF15, and Final Fantasy’s a big deal over in Japan so that must’ve at least gotten Gordon’s name out over there if they hadn’t heard of him yet.

But if we’re talking about whether or not Japan likes Half Life, it’s hard to say. It seems that the general population didn’t ever get a chance to play it, and if they did, it was probably a niche audience at the time.

But I don’t live in Japan, nor do I know much about Japan’s gaming preferences, so I could be way off the mark!

Top Bottom