• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine. " - Gordon Freeman for Smash

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I decided to work on a potential moveset concept for Gordon, though I haven't thought up every single normal attack yet. I hope this brings up some cool ideas though! This concept also probably isn't very balanced as it is, but that can be refined later.

Just a fair warning before we get started; I've included haphazardously slapped together graphics in gimp but I am neither an artist or a graphics designer, so don't expect too much from these. English is also not my first language, but I will of course do my best.

I also will not be talking about things like taunts, victory screens and alternate colors and costumes, because I am focusing specifically on the moveset, as well as one more thing related to that.

With that out of the way, let's get started.

gordon joins the battle.png

GORDON raises the bar!

Fighter Concept: In the Half-Life games, Gordon inevitably ends up with a large arsenal of weapons to use at his disposal. We will go with that as his fighter concept. Multi-Weapon User.

Gordon is a range focused fighter with an arsenal that gives him more than sufficient tools to zone out his opponent, pepper them with projectiles and play keepaway. He is not entirely defenseless in close combat thanks to his ever trusty crowbar, but he will still want to use his ranged weaponry.

His gimmick is his neutral special move, Weapon Equip. With it, he can equip one of four ranged weapons in place of his crowbar, each with their own merits and flaws. These four weapons grants Gordon a surprising amount of versatility, as he can use whichever weapon suits his needs and the current situation.

However, for all their strengths, there's a drawback that Gordon needs to watch out for. Ammo. These guns has limited ammo, Gordon has limited reserve ammo, and he can only use these guns so much before he runs out of ammo or have to reload. On top of that, Gordon has limited defensive options while wielding one of his guns because in Weapon Equip mode, his shield button becomes his reload button. Should his opponent come too close for comfort, Gordon will have to unequip and go back to his crowbar to be able to defend himself.

Normal Attacks: It is easy enough to say that Gordon's normal attacks will all involve the crowbar, with maybe a few kicks here and there. Since it's a melee weapon with decent reach, it will naturally give a large number of Gordon's attacks disjointed hitboxes, making it a pseudo-sword of sorts. It helps accentuate Gordon's playstyle as a ranged fighter, and the ability to knock opponents away into firing range will only benefit him.
Crowbar_player_hd.jpg

It would take far too long to describe what each individual normal attack would be like, but I don't think it's too necessary, because it's easy to imagine what sort of attacks Gordon could perform with his crowbar.

Grab: The Gravity Gun, aka Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator.
Gravgun_viewmodel.jpg

The Gravity Gun is an unique weapon from Half-Life 2 that can either punt a physical object with an energy blast, or pick up and hold the object. Ordinarily the Gravity Gun cannot manipulate organic entities, but for the purpose of this moveset concept, we will let the Gravity Gun act like it's a Dark Energy Field Manipulator too and grab fighters.

Gordon's Gravity Gun has decent range, allowing him to catch an opponent in approximate close-mid range. His pummel is a crowbar whack delivered to his opponent while they're held helplessly by the Gravity Gun. The throws has comparatively weak knockback to balance the Gravity Gun's range.

Neutral Special: Weapon Equip
ammo hud.png

(This is a graphic done to show one possible way to visualize information on Gordon's weaponry. These numbers also should also not be treated as the final numbers)
Gordon's gimmick. Gordon equips one of his ranged weapons, giving him a ranged attack. When equipped, his A button works as his fire button. To unequip and use the crowbar, just press the B button without pressing any other button the same way you'd use a Neutral Special Move.

While equipped, Gordon can still move and jump around. He is also capable of strafing, facing forward while moving backward with the tradeoff of decreased movement speed. This allows him to fire at his opponent and simultaneously back off. In order to cease strafing and change direction, double tap in the desired direction. Gordon can also aim using the up and down directional buttons, as well as use his other special moves.

Gordon also uses an ammunition system for his weapons, as well as limited reserve ammo. When one of his weapons runs out of ammo, he will have to reload it. When that weapon runs out of reserve ammo, he will no longer be able to reload it. Gordon will only replenish reserve ammo whenever he's KO'd, which will also fully reload his weapons.

While equipped, Gordon's shield button will become his reload button. While in his reload animation, Gordon cannot fire but can move and jump around. Gordon's reload can be interrupted by an enemy attack.

Gordon has four different weapons with their own functions, strengths and weaknesses. Pistol, Submachine Gun, Shotgun and Rocket Propelled Grenade.

The Pistol, also known as Glock 17, is an accurate weapon with fast reloading and high amounts of ammo, but fires weak projectiles with no flinching or knockback.

The Submachine Gun, also known as MP5, with its burst damage has strong damage potential, however, individual bullets do little damage on their own and the gun uses up ammo quickly.

The Shotgun, also known as SPAS-12, is a strong close combat tool that has strong knockback potential should all of its pellets connect with the target, but its poor accuracy makes it undesireable for opponents far away, and it can only reload one shell at a time.

The Rocket Propelled Grenade, also known as RPG, is a powerful and fast rocket that can be guided by Gordon, but is burdened with a long reloading animation, little reserve ammo, and the potential to harm Gordon himself if he's caught in the blast.

The first time Gordon equips a weapon in a match, it will be his Pistol by default, thereafter changing to whichever weapon he unequips (for example, if he unequips with a shotgun, he will bring out the shotgun the next time he equips a weapon). To change to his next weapon, his player must press the grab button. The order for the weapon change goes as following; Pistol -> Submachine Gun -> Shotgun -> Rocket Propelled Grenade -> Pistol. However, you can quickly and immediately change to the next weapon with the grab button without delay, so if you want to go from your Pistol to your Rocket Propelled Grenade, press the grab button three times in rapid succession.

Same mechanics apply to Kirby when he copies Gordon's Weapon Equip.

Side Special: MK 2 Grenade
Grenadeheld_hd.png

In Half-Life, these grenades are powerful enough to take out a room of enemies if used right. They're also dangerous and you can kill yourself with one if you're careless.

When Gordon uses his side special move, he will pull the pin and throw the grenade, whereafter it explodes five seconds later. If B is held down, Gordon will hold on to the grenade until B is released, but the timer will continue. The grenade's explosion will hurt Gordon too, even more so if he holds the grenade for full five seconds. While holding the grenade, he can move left and right. Pressing up/down will alter the throw's trajectory.

Down Special: Snark Toss

Snark_v.jpg

Snarks are annoying little monsters that should be completely eradicated from the face of this earth snarks are tiny aggressive and territorial alien bugs that likes to swarm and overwhelm people with sheer numbers. They also double as a weapon for Gordon, as he can collect snarks and throw them at his enemies to bite them to death. Assuming, of course, they don't target Gordon instead.

The snark, when thrown, will immediately target the closest fighter and leap at them, trying to latch onto and start biting them. If successful, the snark will become a damage-over-time effect (stackable with other snarks). If the snark cannot reach or latch onto any opposing fighter (for reasons like being off-stage, being invincible, or being in a spot it cannot reach), the snark will turn on Gordon and attempt to do the same to him. The snark can be killed in one hit by any attack, but its tiny size makes that harder than it sounds. Snarks don't last forever, and will eventually weakly explode if they don't manage to latch onto someone. Gordon cannot throw a snark while there's one already on the battlefield, not counting snarks latching on any fighter.

Up Special: Long Jump
In Half-Life, the Long Jump Module is an endgame upgrade that grants you the ability to make massive leaps, a necessity for the infamous Xen levels where a bottomless pit lies between your island and a second far off island. In Smash, we will take necessary liberties and allow Gordon to long jump without the need to crouch or even be standing on anything.

Gordon performs a large horizontal leap, giving him a strong horizontal recovery. While long jumping, Gordon can attack with the crowbar with the normal attack button. This attack can only be done once in a single long jump, but this swing hits hard if it connects. If Gordon is equipped with a weapon, he will fire with it instead. He can aim up and down, but may not reload mid-air.

Final Smash: Tau Cannon

Gauss_hd.png

The Tau Cannon is one of the best weapons in the original Half-Life, and made a return in Half-Life 2 as the scout car's weapon. It's an energy based assault rifle that fires beams of Tau particles, with a secondary function to charge up the weapon for more powerful beams. For Final Smash purposes, the Tau Cannon will significantly stronger and devastating, firing a volley of Tau particle beams and ending it by charging up briefly and then firing off a massive beam. The final attack will knock Gordon backward from the strong recoil.

That's the end of this moveset concept. I am not great when it comes to moveset conceptualization, but I am still hopeful that this could have inspired at least one or two concepts for a Gordon moveset. But before I end this, I have a few more things to say.

While doing research to come up with this moveset, I realized that there is a potential echo fighter for Gordon who can do at least half of Gordon's canonical gameplay actions. I felt it would be fair to leave a honorary mention after all of this.

barney joins the battle.png

BARNEY shifts in!

Potential Echo Fighter: Barney

Barney seems perfect, as he can use most of the same weapons that Gordon used in Half-Life, crowbar included, and is an important character in the Half-Life series. Combined with the fact that Barney has been playable in Blue Shift, this makes him IMO a strong candidate for an echo fighter for Gordon. The biggest issue with Barney however is that he don't have the Long Jump Module (IIRC it can't be used without the HEV suit), doesn't use the Tau Cannon, and, perhaps most importantly, haven't used the Gravity Gun. However, considering that we're already taking liberties with Gordon's moveset, then perhaps we can excuse these three. Another option is to go the Chrom route and transplant some different moves to him. I am sure some fighter has a suitable grab that Barney can freely use in place of the Gravity Gun.

Adrian Shepherd is also a possible candidate for an echo fighter, but he has this issue where his arsenal differs significantly from Gordon's own. Not to mention that Adrian doesn't even use a crowbar. He has three different melee weapons, wrench, a combat knife and a grappling hook barnacle, with only the wrench being a suitable replacement for the crowbar. That makes it even harder to realize Adrian as an echo fighter. He'd make a great semi-clone however.

Also, putting a fighter concept was a lot of fun and I am happy I made this.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I decided to work on a potential moveset concept for Gordon, though I haven't thought up every single normal attack yet. I hope this brings up some cool ideas though! This concept also probably isn't very balanced as it is, but that can be refined later.

Just a fair warning before we get started; I've included haphazardously slapped together graphics in gimp but I am neither an artist or a graphics designer, so don't expect too much from these. English is also not my first language, but I will of course do my best.

I also will not be talking about things like taunts, victory screens and alternate colors and costumes, because I am focusing specifically on the moveset, as well as one more thing related to that.

With that out of the way, let's get started.

View attachment 239444
GORDON raises the bar!

Fighter Concept: In the Half-Life games, Gordon inevitably ends up with a large arsenal of weapons to use at his disposal. We will go with that as his fighter concept. Multi-Weapon User.

Gordon is a range focused fighter with an arsenal that gives him more than sufficient tools to zone out his opponent, pepper them with projectiles and play keepaway. He is not entirely defenseless in close combat thanks to his ever trusty crowbar, but he will still want to use his ranged weaponry.

His gimmick is his neutral special move, Weapon Equip. With it, he can equip one of four ranged weapons in place of his crowbar, each with their own merits and flaws. These four weapons grants Gordon a surprising amount of versatility, as he can use whichever weapon suits his needs and the current situation.

However, for all their strengths, there's a drawback that Gordon needs to watch out for. Ammo. These guns has limited ammo, Gordon has limited reserve ammo, and he can only use these guns so much before he runs out of ammo or have to reload. On top of that, Gordon has limited defensive options while wielding one of his guns because in Weapon Equip mode, his shield button becomes his reload button. Should his opponent come too close for comfort, Gordon will have to unequip and go back to his crowbar to be able to defend himself.

Normal Attacks: It is easy enough to say that Gordon's normal attacks will all involve the crowbar, with maybe a few kicks here and there. Since it's a melee weapon with decent reach, it will naturally give a large number of Gordon's attacks disjointed hitboxes, making it a pseudo-sword of sorts. It helps accentuate Gordon's playstyle as a ranged fighter, and the ability to knock opponents away into firing range will only benefit him.
View attachment 239445
It would take far too long to describe what each individual normal attack would be like, but I don't think it's too necessary, because it's easy to imagine what sort of attacks Gordon could perform with his crowbar.

Grab: The Gravity Gun, aka Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator.
View attachment 239447
The Gravity Gun is an unique weapon from Half-Life 2 that can either punt a physical object with an energy blast, or pick up and hold the object. Ordinarily the Gravity Gun cannot manipulate organic entities, but for the purpose of this moveset concept, we will let the Gravity Gun act like it's a Dark Energy Field Manipulator too and grab fighters.

Gordon's Gravity Gun has decent range, allowing him to catch an opponent in approximate close-mid range. His pummel is a crowbar whack delivered to his opponent while they're held helplessly by the Gravity Gun. The throws has comparatively weak knockback to balance the Gravity Gun's range.

Neutral Special: Weapon Equip
View attachment 239451
(This is a graphic done to show one possible way to visualize information on Gordon's weaponry. These numbers also should also not be treated as the final numbers)
Gordon's gimmick. Gordon equips one of his ranged weapons, giving him a ranged attack. When equipped, his A button works as his fire button. To unequip and use the crowbar, just press the B button without pressing any other button the same way you'd use a Neutral Special Move.

While equipped, Gordon can still move and jump around. He is also capable of strafing, facing forward while moving backward with the tradeoff of decreased movement speed. This allows him to fire at his opponent and simultaneously back off. In order to cease strafing and change direction, double tap in the desired direction. Gordon can also aim using the up and down directional buttons, as well as use his other special moves.

Gordon also uses an ammunition system for his weapons, as well as limited reserve ammo. When one of his weapons runs out of ammo, he will have to reload it. When that weapon runs out of reserve ammo, he will no longer be able to reload it. Gordon will only replenish reserve ammo whenever he's KO'd, which will also fully reload his weapons.

While equipped, Gordon's shield button will become his reload button. While in his reload animation, Gordon cannot fire but can move and jump around. Gordon's reload can be interrupted by an enemy attack.

Gordon has four different weapons with their own functions, strengths and weaknesses. Pistol, Submachine Gun, Shotgun and Rocket Propelled Grenade.

The Pistol, also known as Glock 17, is an accurate weapon with fast reloading and high amounts of ammo, but fires weak projectiles with no flinching or knockback.

The Submachine Gun, also known as MP5, with its burst damage has strong damage potential, however, individual bullets do little damage on their own and the gun uses up ammo quickly.

The Shotgun, also known as SPAS-12, is a strong close combat tool that has strong knockback potential should all of its pellets connect with the target, but its poor accuracy makes it undesireable for opponents far away, and it can only reload one shell at a time.

The Rocket Propelled Grenade, also known as RPG, is a powerful and fast rocket that can be guided by Gordon, but is burdened with a long reloading animation, little reserve ammo, and the potential to harm Gordon himself if he's caught in the blast.

The first time Gordon equips a weapon in a match, it will be his Pistol by default, thereafter changing to whichever weapon he unequips (for example, if he unequips with a shotgun, he will bring out the shotgun the next time he equips a weapon). To change to his next weapon, his player must press the grab button. The order for the weapon change goes as following; Pistol -> Submachine Gun -> Shotgun -> Rocket Propelled Grenade -> Pistol. However, you can quickly and immediately change to the next weapon with the grab button without delay, so if you want to go from your Pistol to your Rocket Propelled Grenade, press the grab button three times in rapid succession.

Same mechanics apply to Kirby when he copies Gordon's Weapon Equip.

Side Special: MK 2 Grenade
View attachment 239450
In Half-Life, these grenades are powerful enough to take out a room of enemies if used right. They're also dangerous and you can kill yourself with one if you're careless.

When Gordon uses his side special move, he will pull the pin and throw the grenade, whereafter it explodes five seconds later. If B is held down, Gordon will hold on to the grenade until B is released, but the timer will continue. The grenade's explosion will hurt Gordon too, even more so if he holds the grenade for full five seconds. While holding the grenade, he can move left and right. Pressing up/down will alter the throw's trajectory.

Down Special: Snark Toss

View attachment 239443

Snarks are annoying little monsters that should be completely eradicated from the face of this earth snarks are tiny aggressive and territorial alien bugs that likes to swarm and overwhelm people with sheer numbers. They also double as a weapon for Gordon, as he can collect snarks and throw them at his enemies to bite them to death. Assuming, of course, they don't target Gordon instead.

The snark, when thrown, will immediately target the closest fighter and leap at them, trying to latch onto and start biting them. If successful, the snark will become a damage-over-time effect (stackable with other snarks). If the snark cannot reach or latch onto any opposing fighter (for reasons like being off-stage, being invincible, or being in a spot it cannot reach), the snark will turn on Gordon and attempt to do the same to him. The snark can be killed in one hit by any attack, but its tiny size makes that harder than it sounds. Snarks don't last forever, and will eventually weakly explode if they don't manage to latch onto someone. Gordon cannot throw a snark while there's one already on the battlefield, not counting snarks latching on any fighter.

Up Special: Long Jump
In Half-Life, the Long Jump Module is an endgame upgrade that grants you the ability to make massive leaps, a necessity for the infamous Xen levels where a bottomless pit lies between your island and a second far off island. In Smash, we will take necessary liberties and allow Gordon to long jump without the need to crouch or even be standing on anything.

Gordon performs a large horizontal leap, giving him a strong horizontal recovery. While long jumping, Gordon can attack with the crowbar with the normal attack button. This attack can only be done once in a single long jump, but this swing hits hard if it connects. If Gordon is equipped with a weapon, he will fire with it instead. He can aim up and down, but may not reload mid-air.

Final Smash: Tau Cannon

View attachment 239449
The Tau Cannon is one of the best weapons in the original Half-Life, and made a return in Half-Life 2 as the scout car's weapon. It's an energy based assault rifle that fires beams of Tau particles, with a secondary function to charge up the weapon for more powerful beams. For Final Smash purposes, the Tau Cannon will significantly stronger and devastating, firing a volley of Tau particle beams and ending it by charging up briefly and then firing off a massive beam. The final attack will knock Gordon backward from the strong recoil.

That's the end of this moveset concept. I am not great when it comes to moveset conceptualization, but I am still hopeful that this could have inspired at least one or two concepts for a Gordon moveset. But before I end this, I have a few more things to say.

While doing research to come up with this moveset, I realized that there is a potential echo fighter for Gordon who can do at least half of Gordon's canonical gameplay actions. I felt it would be fair to leave a honorary mention after all of this.

View attachment 239448
BARNEY shifts in!

Potential Echo Fighter: Barney

Barney seems perfect, as he can use most of the same weapons that Gordon used in Half-Life, crowbar included, and is an important character in the Half-Life series. Combined with the fact that Barney has been playable in Blue Shift, this makes him IMO a strong candidate for an echo fighter for Gordon. The biggest issue with Barney however is that he don't have the Long Jump Module (IIRC it can't be used without the HEV suit), doesn't use the Tau Cannon, and, perhaps most importantly, haven't used the Gravity Gun. However, considering that we're already taking liberties with Gordon's moveset, then perhaps we can excuse these three. Another option is to go the Chrom route and transplant some different moves to him. I am sure some fighter has a suitable grab that Barney can freely use in place of the Gravity Gun.

Adrian Shepherd is also a possible candidate for an echo fighter, but he has this issue where his arsenal differs significantly from Gordon's own. Not to mention that Adrian doesn't even use a crowbar. He has three different melee weapons, wrench, a combat knife and a grappling hook barnacle, with only the wrench being a suitable replacement for the crowbar. That makes it even harder to realize Adrian as an echo fighter. He'd make a great semi-clone however.

Also, putting a fighter concept was a lot of fun and I am happy I made this.
Idk if the Tau Cannon would be the best pick for a Final Smash. The Supercharged Gravity Gun would be better imo.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Sorry for the double post, but no one was commenting so, whatever.

What if Gordon was #5? Like that would be pretty unpredictable. And being Game Awards hosted by Geoff Keighley, it would be perfect for him because it's what got him started in the industry. Plus his moveset would likely be very fun with the Gravity Gun in tow, which Sakurai said was important.

I think it's more likely we'll get Jill or Leon, but what do you guys think?

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I am not really feeling Gordon as #5. But we could get a double reveal with someone else as #5 and a gameplay-less announcement (like Joker and Terry to a lesser extent) for a post-FP character (like, say, Gordon)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sorry for the double post, but no one was commenting so, whatever.

What if Gordon was #5? Like that would be pretty unpredictable. And being Game Awards hosted by Geoff Keighley, it would be perfect for him because it's what got him started in the industry. Plus his moveset would likely be very fun with the Gravity Gun in tow, which Sakurai said was important.

I think it's more likely we'll get Jill or Leon, but what do you guys think?
It's possible, but I'm not betting on it. Gordon has always been a dark horse pick, he's a character that no one predicts and if he ever happens he will surprise everyone. I agree with you about Jill and Leon, I think they are the most likely characters as the fifth fighter at the moment.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
It's possible, but I'm not betting on it. Gordon has always been a dark horse pick, he's a character that no one predicts and if he ever happens he will surprise everyone. I agree with you about Jill and Leon, I think they are the most likely characters as the fifth fighter at the moment.
I mean, Gordon would fit Color Theory if that was actually a thing lol. So he has that going for him I guess.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Question. Has there been any Half-Life on Nintendo system? Google didn't give me any result beside canceled Half-Life tactic (Many people think this is fake rumor) I also read that Valve has beef with Nintendo. https://toxicfandomsandhatedoms.miraheze.org/wiki/Wanting_Unlikely_Characters_in_Super_Smash_Bros. (Of course, I take this article with grain of salt.)

Does "Obscure in Japan" really hold up? Banjo was almost purely by western fan demand. He is even more obscure in Japan than other western characters like Master Chief iirc. I am not sure about Half-Life in Japan. At least, Half-Life has support of Sakurai... since he can make Pirahna Plant work, I am sure he can easily pull off Mr. Freeman.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Question. Has there been any Half-Life on Nintendo system? Google didn't give me any result beside canceled Half-Life tactic (Many people think this is fake rumor) I also read that Valve has beef with Nintendo. https://toxicfandomsandhatedoms.miraheze.org/wiki/Wanting_Unlikely_Characters_in_Super_Smash_Bros. (Of course, I take this article with grain of salt.)

Does "Obscure in Japan" really hold up? Banjo was almost purely by western fan demand. He is even more obscure in Japan than other western characters like Master Chief iirc. I am not sure about Half-Life in Japan. At least, Half-Life has support of Sakurai... since he can make Pirahna Plant work, I am sure he can easily pull off Mr. Freeman.
https://nintendoeverything.com/valv...ity-to-create-hardware-and-software-together/
While it's true that Gabe Newell stated that Valve are a bit jealous of companies like Nintendo, it seems more like a respectful type of jealousy than resentful. Whoever made that page took such comments out of context.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Japan had an exclusive HL2 arcade game, if that counts.
I guess that's the same level as Halo animation?

https://nintendoeverything.com/valv...ity-to-create-hardware-and-software-together/
While it's true that Gabe Newell stated that Valve are a bit jealous of companies like Nintendo, it seems more like a respectful type of jealousy than resentful. Whoever made that page took such comments out of context.
Just as I expected... I can't wait to see some of those characters mentioned there to make it in to see their salt.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The Game Awards are a month away. VNN talked in a video about how a brand new Half-Life VR game is in the works and it's going to be announced at the end of this year. Personally I don't believe this because I'm incredibly skeptic towards any rumors about the Half-Life series after a decade of hearing all sorts of rumors that didn't pan out. But I still carry hope that the Half-Life series will come back someday, and on the very small chance that this turns out to be true then the game awards would be a suitable place to make such an announcement. I'm still keeping my expectations low, but it's something to keep in mind.

What do all of you think?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Gordon would be a legendary inclusion and would make a lot of people happy given that we don’t get any new half life stuff nowadays.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
The Game Awards are a month away. VNN talked in a video about how a brand new Half-Life VR game is in the works and it's going to be announced at the end of this year. Personally I don't believe this because I'm incredibly skeptic towards any rumors about the Half-Life series after a decade of hearing all sorts of rumors that didn't pan out. But I still carry hope that the Half-Life series will come back someday, and on the very small chance that this turns out to be true then the game awards would be a suitable place to make such an announcement. I'm still keeping my expectations low, but it's something to keep in mind.

What do all of you think?
There have been many rumors of Half-Life VR being announced before the end of the year. But Valve Time exists, so it's probably going to be later as awesome as a TGA reveal would be for that.

Outside of VR, I hope for a Half-Life Collection for Switch, PS4, and Xbox One. That would be nice.

Though if all those things were to happen at TGA's, it would be the perfect time to announce Gordon for Smash. ;)

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
There have been many rumors of Half-Life VR being announced before the end of the year. But Valve Time exists, so it's probably going to be later as awesome as a TGA reveal would be for that.

Outside of VR, I hope for a Half-Life Collection for Switch, PS4, and Xbox One. That would be nice.

Though if all those things were to happen at TGA's, it would be the perfect time to announce Gordon for Smash ;)
Good point

Though IF a new Half-Life game got announced at TGA with a Smash reveal for Gordon then I don't think my heart could handle it.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Let's speculate on this hypothetical event: If a new Half-Life game revealed and Gordon in Smash reveal happened during TGA, which would be announced first?

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Let's speculate on this hypothetical event: If a new Half-Life game revealed and Gordon in Smash reveal happened during TGA, which would be announced first?
If it's Half-Life 3, then it has to be the last thing. If it's Half-Life VR (assuming VR wasn't HL3), or a Collection, then Gordon in Smash should be the finisher.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Kinda hard to say. I feel like if both events would happen then a reveal of a new Half-Life game would happen first and then a Smash reveal. Or maybe even a double reveal where both trailers are tied together somehow.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet

OH ****. This is a big deal. Let's hope this a triple reveal with that, a collection for all consoles, and Gordon in Smash!

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Is it actually FINALLY going to happen after 12 years of waiting? I really want this to be true, but after seeing so many Half-Life 3 rumors and leaks for over a decade a part of me is skeptical.

With that said...
If the next game is going to be on VR then I hope it does to VR gaming what the original Half-Life did to FPS gaming.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
* Rumors of Half-Life potentially coming back (and if so, there's probably a reason why Valve specifically chose Half-Life for their VR project instead of Portal even though that would arguably be fit VR better)
* Rumors of Nintendo and Valve attempting collaboration on a Half-Life title for Switch before it got cancelled
* Steam has a massive userbase, Nintendo would be crazy not to attempt to get the Steam market
* Color theory, if legitimate, suggests that the fifth fighter will have an orange background. Gordon and Half-Life is associated with the color orange, and especially the orange box
* Sakurai has praised Half-Life 2 in the past
* Gordon Freeman is a PC gaming icon
* Would be an internet-breaking surprise because almost nobody would see it coming for a multitude of reasons
* Half-Life themed Mii Fighter costume is easy to implement; just put in a Headcrab hat

Oh yeah, it’s all coming together

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Hm, what a peculiar odor. Half Life rumors are circulating again? I'll be sure to submit this to the administrator.

It's probably not a problem, probably.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
When Cloud was announced for Smash, it was in November 2015, months after the Final Fantasy 7 Remake was announced at E3 2015. What I am trying to say is that If Gordon is FP5, that would arguably be a Cloud-style reveal.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm still trying to process the fact that Half-Life is back. I thought Valve abandoned the series with how their response to the community was always radio silence. Thursday really can't come any sooner.

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
I'm still trying to process the fact that Half-Life is back. I thought Valve abandoned the series with how their response to the community was always radio silence. Thursday really can't come any sooner.
It wasn't entirely silent, they included Half-Life content such as Gordon Freeman's suit in Final Fantasy XV last year.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It wasn't entirely silent, they included Half-Life content such as Gordon Freeman's suit in Final Fantasy XV last year.
They did, but that was a request from Square Enix themselves and not Valve. It was bizarre at the time as it meant Valve was okay with sharing the IP in crossovers but they still did nothing with it. Until this announcement Valve was ignoring most questions from the community about the series and they also ignored the 20th year anniversary of Half-Life last year. I'm happy they were working on Half-Life all along, but I really wish they'd be more transparent with their community.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I saw a suggestion somewhere that Gordon's trailer could open with G-man talking similar to HL2's opening. I think that would be an excellent set-up for a TGA reveal, if perhaps too bait-and-switchish (since a lot of people would be expecting a HL3 announcement instead with such an opening)

Edit: Something like this perhaps?

"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine. It's been a while, haven't it? It's been a long time since you've been required. Perhaps too long. We've got a job for you, one of an abnormal nature. What kind of job you might inquire? Well, let's just say that you've been...invited. The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world, and this world is no exception. So, wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes."

And then the Freeman wakes up in a familiar wasteland.

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Okay Gordon would be such a cool addition. I always thought that a TF2 rep was the most likely Valve rep, but Gordon Freeman would be so interesting. I am fully on board with this idea

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I more of a TF2 guy myself, but Gordon would undoubtedly be an amazing character and a megaton hype announcement for Smash. I support.

Also ever since Terry came with a bunch of content from various SNK series, it would be cool to have some spirits or a song from the Portal series since they technically share the same universe.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I can't wait for "If Super Smash Bros Ultimate was Written by a Bot"

WE NEED TO MAKE GALEEM SHUT UP AND BLOW AGAIN

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So umm, the person who leaked info on Fortnite 2 and the half life vr game, also said that Gordon is coming to Smash and will be announced at the game awards. No gameplay, but the trailer will have G Man.

KillerCage

Smash Master
So umm, the person who leaked info on Fortnite 2 and the half life vr game, also said that Gordon is coming to Smash and will be announced at the game awards. No gameplay, but the trailer will have G Man.
Could you please provide a link to this source of information?

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
That's interesting, but everybody might want to take it with a grain of salt. After all a real leak that spoiled most of DMC5 told us that Dante was going to be a smash character.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Top Bottom