• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine. " - Gordon Freeman for Smash

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Who is Gordon Freeman?
Gordon is the protagonist of the Half-Life franchise. A theoretical physicist who worked at Black Mesa, a research facility in New Mexico desert. He wears a Hazardous Environment suit which protects him from different kinds of danger. He also wields his trusty crowbar which helps him against little monsters that like to get too close. Gordon's actions helped stop invasions from hostile alien forces. He's not afraid to traverse never before seen environments to get the job done.

Why should he be in Smash?
Gordon is the most iconic character from Valve, the company that created Steam. The Half-Life franchise is responsible for influencing the industry and changing the FPS genre as we know it. The physics engine of Half-Life 2 was revolutionary at it's time and was praised by many. Half-Life is also responsible for the creation of Counter Strike, which was originally a mod of Half-Life. Besides the importance of the Half-Life series to gaming as a whole, Gordon would bring unique ideas to Smash that haven't been implemented yet. The Half-Life universe is home to many different unique weapons that would fit well in Smash.

How would he work in Smash?
Gordon has a wide variety of weaponry that he can use in battle. His signature crowbar being his method for CQC. He also has access to grenades, machine guns, shotguns, revolvers, crossbows, pulse rifles. But there is one weapon that is entirely unique to Gordon.

The Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator

AKA The Gravity Gun
This gun is the most interesting one out of Gordon's entire arsenal and it's his most invaluable tool after his crowbar. The gravity gun has two modes: It can either fire an energy blast that punts the targeted object with great force. Or it can pick up objects from a distance and hold them, it can then either drop the object or fire it like a projectile. The supercharged version of the gun can hold even enemy combatants and fire them away. Gordon can build a unique and interesting moveset with all these tools at his disposal, he would definitely be a fun fighter if added to Smash.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh hell yeah, sign me up.

For a Valve rep, I'm split on Chell, TF2 Scout, and Gordon Freeman, but seriously any of those would shock me and excite me beyond belief.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Oh hell yeah, sign me up.

For a Valve rep, I'm split on Chell, TF2 Scout, and Gordon Freeman, but seriously any of those would shock me and excite me beyond belief.
I prefer Gordon if we're getting a Valve character. Not only is he extremely important to Valve's history and gaming in general, but Half-Life is the inspiration for Team Fortress 2 and Portal. I feel it's more appropriate if he got in first.

With that said, Sakurai did comment on Half-Life 2 and it's importance before:
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/07/12/feelofamericangames/

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Wow, has it already been almost 15 years since Half-Life 2's release? I feel old....

Anyways, sign me up as a supporter! Gordon Freeman would be great to see in Smash!

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
he could promote Half-Life 3
Sorry, I had too.
I actually support, half life is amazing.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Two weeks from now will be the twelfth E3 since Episode Two's release. It's sad to see how the time flew by.

GreyJinjo

Smash Cadet
A week ago, the character that i wanted the most finally got confirmed after years of imagining and requesting. Now that he's in, i'm eternally grateful for smash ultimate and I'm just about done critiquing on what the game needs. From now on, it's pretty much entirely the icing on the cake of what the last 2 characters of the fighters pass are. It doesn't matter who they are to me anymore as long as they seem like a interesting character. But I think it would be a cool and unique choice to finally add a character to represent the FPS genre. And I would personally want Gordon Freeman to be the one to do that. Add me to the list!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
President Keemstar from Hunt Down the Freeman as a spirit please

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Hadn't noticed that this thread had been made. Good to see!.

Gordon Freeman is my most wanted character. Obviously, his chances are very slim, but maybe one day he could happen!

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
If he is in, I am pretty sure that Dark Samus is going to be his trailer rival.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Gordon Freeman would be awesome! Count me in as a supporter!

I’ve also recently drafted up a moveset for him.

DD26DF60-4C8B-44A7-BB15-D1292E4EA3B7.jpeg

Feel free to use it in OP if you’d like!

KillerCage

Smash Master
You can add me as a supporter of the Freeman.
It would be so cool to have the Half Life ost in Smash!

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Sure, I'll also support Mr. Freeman! I wish Half-Life 2 was on Switch. It it runs on the NVIDIA Shield, then it could run on Nintendo's portable too, right?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sure, I'll also support Mr. Freeman! I wish Half-Life 2 was on Switch. It it runs on the NVIDIA Shield, then it could run on Nintendo's portable too, right?
Yeah I'm pretty sure the Half-Life 2 trilogy can run on the Switch. It's up to Valve if they want to port the games or not.

D

Deleted member

I support the Freeman, yeah.

Half Life would be cool to see in Smash.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Support all the way. Half-Life was the first single-player FPS game that I really got into. Just the thought of hearing Nuclear Mission Jam in Smash gets my blood pumping.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Just curious and ask, any rumor about relationhip between Valve and Nintendo? Heard that there are rumors about them not in a good one.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think it might be Gordon's time to rise and shine in Smash with more DLC coming.
It's definitely possible. Gordon strikes me as a dark horse pick, there is uncertainty behind him but he does have a chance.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Gordon is lowkey someone I'd love to see. He's a crack pick but he's also a power pick dammit. Seeing him in Smash is something that would shake me to my very core in the best possible way, I'd never be able to get over seeing him next to Isabelle.

SKX31

Smash Master
Count me in as well. I am a Dota 2 fan at heart, but have a lot of respect for what Valve did with the Orange Box trio (incl. Gordon). He's probably in my Top 10 personal (no probabilities) wishlist partly because of the Havoc (heh) he could cause.

So yes, support. Fully.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Gordon is my most wanted newcomer at this point. I know he's a pipe dream because there's no Half-Life game on the Switch, but that's not gonna stop me from hoping.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So would his stage be Black Mesa or City 17?

Both could work though I'm more in favor of his stage being Black Mesa.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Black Mesa fits much better as the stage imo.
It's incredibly important to the setting of Half-Life and it's been mentioned so many times even after it's gone during Half-Life 2. After all, it's the place where the conflict started. I bet the stage would be the test lab in the first part of the original Half-Life which began the invasion from Xen. The device at the center of the room would start going out of control like in the original game and it would teleport the fighters into different parts of the Half-Life universe.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord

I think Black Mesa has better potential as a stage, plus it's probably more iconic in context with the Half-Life series. Pretty much the only thing Nintendo would need to change with Black Mesa is to remove blood and the like, and I think that's a compromise I am certain all Half-Life fans would accept.

While I am posting, I wanna bring up a small wishlist of music tracks from the Half-Life series that I would love to see in Smash would Gordon make it, remixed or otherwise.

Hazardous Environments (duh)
Adrenaline Horror
Military Precision
Nuclear Missile Jam
Diabolical Adrenaline Guitar
Closing Theme / Tracking Device (Natural choice for Gordon's Classic Mode run credits song)
Alien Forces (Note: Since Gearbox made Opposing Force, I don't know if Valve actually has the rights to the soundtrack. I am assuming they do however. I think I will ask Gabe Newell about it)
Vortal Combat
Last Legs

Half-Life is definitely no slouch when it comes to great music!

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

Both would make a ton of sense, but as Wunderwaft said, Black Messa is the best fit. Perhaps a teleporting stage would make sense? So we can see many different locations within Black Messa.

I think Black Mesa has better potential as a stage, plus it's probably more iconic in context with the Half-Life series. Pretty much the only thing Nintendo would need to change with Black Mesa is to remove the blood and the like, and I think that's a compromise I am certain all Half-Life fans would accept.

While I am posting, I wanna bring up a small wishlist of music tracks from the Half-Life series that I would love to see in Smash would Gordon make it, remixed or otherwise.

Hazardous Environments (duh)
Adrenaline Horror
Military Precision
Nuclear Missile Jam
Diabolical Adrenaline Guitar
Closing Theme / Tracking Device (Natural choice for Gordon's Classic Mode run credits song)
Alien Forces (Note: Since Gearbox made Opposing Force, I don't know if Valve actually has the rights to the soundtrack. I am assuming they do, however. I think I will ask Gabe Newell about it)
Vortal Combat
Last Legs

Half-Life is definitely no slouch when it comes to great music!
Don't forget Kaxon Beat!

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Oh yeah sign me up lol no question.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
How did I forget Gordon Freeman... Add me as a supporter... Proceeds to change signature...

On a side note do you guys think we will ever see a remaster of the first Half Life and its expansions?

Top Bottom