• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riptide Project+ Bracket Canceled Following Cease & Desist from Nintendo

Riptide.jpg

At 4 p.m. EDT on Aug. 27, 2021, the organizers for Riptide released a statement on Twitter, announcing that the event will no longer feature Project+ following a cease and desist order from Nintendo. Not only have the scheduled P+ tournaments been canceled, the event will not feature any P+ setups for friendlies either. Riptide's staff currently plans to contact all attendees registered for P+ events with information on how to request a refund.

Prior to this, Riptide was viewed as a potential landmark event for the P+ community even moreso than it was for Smash as a whole. On top of being set to be the first large-scale, in-person major since before the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, the #FreeMelee and #SaveSmash movement of late 2020 had sparked a renewed interest in P+, particularly due to emerging information about Nintendo's stifling of the Project M community.

It's worth noting that Riptide was of particular significance to the P+ community beyond just the renewed interest in the mod or the event's status as the first in-person major since the start of the pandemic. The event is largely intended to be a spiritual successor to the now-defunct Smash N Splash, a tournament series that played a key role in the history of the PM and P+ community. At a time when many majors were dropping PM from their lineups, Smash N Splash kept it as part of its main lineup. Smash N Splash 4 was also the debut event for a new standardized ruleset for PM, one featuring a controversial custom build that would later become the foundation for P+.

Nintendo issuing demand letters like this to Smash tournament organizers isn't new. The aforementioned #SaveSmash movement was sparked by a cease and desist directed at The Big House Online, which had plans to host an online Melee bracket using Slippi. Even before that, Evo 2013's Melee bracket was also the target of a cease and desist order from Nintendo, though it was later rescinded following public outcry.

That said, the specific circumstances behind this are something of a break from their previous way of doing things. Prior to this, Nintendo had largely been more passive in discouraging tournament organizers from running Smash mods, often by making the ban on mods a stipulation behind a sponsorship. This is the first time Nintendo has been this direct and open about applying pressure to a tournament planning to feature a modded Smash title.

Credits:
Writing & Editing: Scribe Scribe
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp

Scribe

Comments

I hate to say it, but I'm at that stage of frustrated acceptance where I'm wondering why they thought they could get away with this in the first place? Nintendo's takedown rampages are so infamous these days that it's naive and ignorant to assume that your mod/fangame will somehow be the exception.

Honestly, people should start modding and flocking toward games made by, I dunno, Sega or something. Companies that don't mind or even sometimes accept the creativity of their fans. Or pull a Bug Fables and make something similar using brand new assets.

I have no idea when Nintendo's higher-ups will start to get with the times, but it won't be any time soon whatsoever. The fans have to take that initiative, not pretend to be shocked every time Nintendo does this.

I hate to say it, but I'm at that stage of frustrated acceptance where I'm wondering why they thought they could get away with this in the first place? Nintendo's takedown rampages are so infamous these days that it's naive and ignorant to assume that your mod/fangame will somehow be the exception.

Honestly, people should start modding and flocking toward games made by, I dunno, Sega or something. Companies that don't mind or even sometimes accept the creativity of their fans. Or pull a Bug Fables and make something similar using brand new assets.

I have no idea when Nintendo's higher-ups will start to get with the times, but it won't be any time soon whatsoever. The fans have to take that initiative, not pretend to be shocked every time Nintendo does this.

I think the only way honestly is just to stop playing Smash Bros and focus on other creators/developers instead of supporting Nintendo this way. There is a good variety with the likes of Rivals of Aether, Rushdown Revolt and Slap City. At some point, we just need to move on. It is clear that Nintendo/Sakurai just doesn't seem to care about the community like we assume they do. So at this point, to hell with them.

I feel like leaving Ultimate for Rivals was the best decision I made in the last 6 months.

Last edited:

I got used to it, and I just get annoyed since they are going to riot, especially on twitter, Copyright law is extremely flawed.

I think the only way honestly is just to stop playing Smash Bros and focus on other creators/developers instead of supporting Nintendo this way. There is a good variety with the likes of Rivals of Aether, Rushdown Revolt and Slap City. At some point, we just need to move on. It is clear that Nintendo/Sakurai just doesn't seem to care about the community like we assume they do. So at this point, to hell with them.

I feel like leaving Ultimate for Rivals was the best decision I made in the last 6 months.
Why does Sakurai have to be in there?
Yeah, I passionately disagree. Sakurai is a creator, not a suit sitting at the top of Nintendo. Hell, he doesn't even work for Nintendo, Sora Ltd. is an independent studio which was contracted to make Smash. And all it takes is one look at Ultimate to see that he absolutely cares about the audience.

We need to remember that Nintendo's creators (directors, artists, etc) and Nintendo's businessmen (their CEO, lawyers, etc) are two completely different branches of the company. It's the corpos that hate fun, not the guy who put K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie in Smash haha.

Which does make boycotting Nintendo games frustrating to do. On one hand, some of the best creators in the biz make games for Nintendo. A lot of their first-party games are instant classics and extremely playable. On the other hand, those same creators have to bow to the whims of old, crotchety business-driven coots who believe in the most outdated and anticonsumer of practices.

It's a lot more nuanced than just "Nintendo perfect" or "Nintendo evil".

Last edited:
Yeah, I passionately disagree. Sakurai is a creator, not a suit sitting at the top of Nintendo. Hell, he doesn't even work for Nintendo, Sora Ltd. is an independent studio which was contracted to make Smash. And all it takes is one look at Ultimate to see that he absolutely cares about the audience.

We need to remember that Nintendo's creators (directors, artists, etc) and Nintendo's businessmen (their CEO, lawyers, etc) are two completely different branches of the company. It's the corpos that hate fun, not the guy who put K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie in Smash haha.

Which does make boycotting Nintendo games frustrating to do. On one hand, some of the best creators in the biz make games for Nintendo. A lot of their first-party games are instant classics and extremely playable. On the other hand, those same creators have to bow to the whims of old, crotchety business-driven coots who believe in the most outdated and anticonsumer of practices.

It's a lot more nuanced than just "Nintendo perfect" or "Nintendo evil".
Why does Sakurai have to be in there?
I've seen this argument a lot relating to Sakurai but it is definitely wrong to not put him at fault.
This whole entire video is excellent but I time stamped my exact counter argument to why Sakurai should receive some percentage of blame during these situations.

A creator would be fighting for his community if he really gave a ****.

Top Bottom