• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rillaboom, the Tank of Galar!

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Having played a bit of Pokemon Sword, and having chosen Rillaboom as my starter, I'd love to see this tai-Kong drummer being in Smash Bros!

I mean, before, I was all for Decidueye, but now I'm feeling like a taiko drummer fighter seems arguably a lot more unique than the owl archer. Count me in for support, my man! Here's what I think his moveset should be:

Jab: Rillaboom swipes twice with two sticks before ‘drum rolling’ on the opponent with both sticks. The attack is then finished with hitting with both sticks simultaneously, launching the opponent.

F-tilt: Branch Poke: Rillaboom jabs in front of himself with a single stick. This is a good tool that can be used to start combos, and it serves as a good poke as well.

U-tilt: Rillaboom whips his leafy hair over himself in an arc, dealing multiple hits of damage.

D-tilt: Rillaboom performs a breakdance-style kick similar to Mario’s D-tilt.

Dash Attack: Rillaboom performs a leaping bite, snagging enemies in front of him.

Grab: Rillaboom grabs the opponent by both sides. He slaps the opponent for his pummel.

F-throw: Rillaboom smacks the opponent twice with his drumsticks with Double Hit.

D-throw: Rillaboom sumo-stomps on the opponent, burying them and spiking any airborne opponents outside the throw.

B-throw: Rillaboom creates a wooden foot pedal for himself to step on, causing a large wooden bass drum stick to smash the opponent from behind.

U-throw: Rillaboom beats on his drum for a bit before roots erupt and strike the opponent from below.

N-air: Rillaboom summons multiple leaves to revolve around himself for a moment.

F-air: Rillaboom slaps downwards with an open hand. This forces the opponent to drop any items they may carry.

D-air: Rillaboom grows his drum stump and moves it downwards, meteor smashing the opponent.

B-air: Rillaboom flips his leaf-based hair over himself, dealing multiple hits.

U-air: Rillaboom swings his arm above himself. Based on his Hammer Arm move.

Side Smash: Rillaboom leans back with both fists before arcing downwards and smashing them in front of him. This smash attack can bury on hit, for a length between Banjo’s and K. Rool’s respective down throws.

Up Smash: Rillaboom curls inwards before letting loose three loud bursts of sound. Based on Uproar, which Rillaboom can learn.

Down Smash: Rillaboom coats his arms in wood, then smashes on both sides of himself. This is arguably the highest-damage Smash attack in his moveset, but deals recoil damage regardless of hitting or missing.

Neutral B: Drum Beating: Rillaboom tosses a tiny wooden drum on the ground that grows in size, then beats on it with two large sticks. By mashing the B button, Drum Beating will cause roots to lash out in front of the opponent, hitting up to 5 times before the roots strike a final time and launch the opponent.

Side B: Boomburst: Rillaboom leans his head back, then lets out a roar in front of himself that deals damage to all opponents in a 1 ½-Zapple range. However, Boomburst leaves Rillaboom extremely open afterward and he can be interrupted when attacked from behind.

Up B: Djembe Boost: Rillaboom grows his drum in front of himself, then beats it like a djembe drum. The resulting hits will create soundwave bursts that propel Rillaboom upwards, and this can hit up to 3 times. The soundwave bursts can also spike if the opponent is hit closest to the drum.

Down B: Grassy Surge: Rillaboom causes a patch of grass to grow in a radius of 1-and-a-half Bowsers. While Rillaboom is inside this patch, his attacks are buffed by 1.5x and he heals over time. However, the healing aspect can also affect opponents, and Grassy Surge only lasts for 8 seconds.

Final Smash: Max Overgrowth: Rillaboom charges with a red aura, then Dynamaxes, appearing in the background like Giga Bowser Punch. Rillaboom will then release multiple giant seeds that burst when making contact with the stage. Each seed covers the entire stage with Grassy Terrain that only Rillaboom can benefit from. The Grassy Terrain of his Final Smash will linger for twice as long as normal.

In short, Rillaboom is a heavy-set stage control character that forces the opponent to play by his rhythm alone. With a deceptively far reach and a move that directly affects the battlefield, Rillaboom can capitalize on his lack of mobility with a territorial playstyle. However, his attacks are punishable and his recovery only slightly has the edge of Incineroar’s. He is also a sitting duck if he is kept outside of his territory, which they can use to his disadvantage.

What I noticed with Rillaboom whenever he's sent out of his PokeBall was that the drum grows in his hand before he plants it on the ground in front of himself. This gives me the thought that he doesn't have to carry his drum around all the time, he can just grow it at will.
Nice! This is my favorite moveset from anyone else for Rillaboom that I've seen so far! Much less complicated than mine and I love seeing a more standard take on the Pokemon.
Seeing as I haven't played the game, that detail about growing the stump I didn't know about. Makes things easier moveset wise for sure!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
GIGANTAMAX RILLABOOM. I REPEAT, GIGANTAMAX RILLABOOM. NEW POTENTIAL G-MAX MOVE FOR FINAL SMASH!!!

D

Deleted member

Gigantamax Rillaboom looks cool.

Hopefully Tyranitar gets a Gigantamax form too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If we did get a Galar starter, I'd want it to be Rillaboom. Definitely my favorite of the designs by far.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
i saw at least one person making this clever speculation (at 4chan, but not at /v/ because **** that ****hole)
but the new Pokemon movie, Coco, could potientally be the very place the Grookey line can get its healthy advertising:

the reason why i saw this as significant because the anonymous poster mentioned the official process of Sakurai choosing the Pokemon himself.
like ever since the anime started, he always go to TPC during their planning and ask what's going on in the anime/movies and see which recent generation pokemons are going to be the "hot topic" within the promotion.

someone also made a compilation of all the relevant Smash-related Pokemon statements by Sakurai and Game Freak, so you guys should give it a read:
Pokemon Interview Quotes by Sakurai and GF.png
before Incineroar's inclusion, we saw Cross', major antagonist of the movie, Incineroar antagonizing Satoshi/Ash's Charmeleon in the middle parts of the of the I Choose You movie, Kukui's Incineroar being one of the spotlight pokemon in the anime (who even had several focus episodes too), and played a big motivation role to Ash's Torracat thanks to their rivalry.
in the end, Sakurai decided that both Decidueye and Incineroar were the most heavy choices to be chosen for Ultimate, with Incineroar being picked for the same "fun moveset" reasoning Sakurai pointed out months ago in the Terry presentation.

so far the only evidence pointing to possible Grookey line spotlighting is the movie having a jungle thematic with the new character have a Tarzan/Mowgli like design which could actually lead to many other favorable things for the starter line.
i could also say something about the title's new coloring, the new character's hairband, and how Anime!Satoshi doesn't have Galar starter pokemon yet, but i reeeally don't wanna make any conclusive jumps lol. (That wouldn't be any good would it?)

Nothing is confirmed at the moment, but the speculation is pretty interesting. I personally see the Scorbunny/Toxel/Grookey lines getting some big attention in the anime/movie promotion based on what they got behind them atm.
I also see the community trying to slack on Rillaboom because its least popular starter or how the grass-typing excuse got boring to everyone, but the ape deserves a bit of a better leg in the big talks of Pokemon and Smash.

i hope this sparks more conversation for the dude, Rillaboom and Toxtricity would be pretty amazing for the Fighter Pass Vol. 2 if we got another pokemon, right after getting our first ever $5.99-priced Nintendo DLC.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
i saw at least one person making this clever speculation (at 4chan, but not at /v/ because **** that ****hole)
but the new Pokemon movie, Coco, could potientally be the very place the Grookey line can get its healthy advertising:

the reason why i saw this as significant because the anonymous poster mentioned the official process of Sakurai choosing the Pokemon himself.
like ever since the anime started, he always go to TPC during their planning and ask what's going on in the anime/movies and see which recent generation pokemons are going to be the "hot topic" within the promotion.

someone also made a compilation of all the relevant Smash-related Pokemon statements by Sakurai and Game Freak, so you guys should give it a read:
before Incineroar's inclusion, we saw Cross', major antagonist of the movie, Incineroar antagonizing Satoshi/Ash's Charmeleon in the middle parts of the of the I Choose You movie, Kukui's Incineroar being one of the spotlight pokemon in the anime (who even had several focus episodes too), and played a big motivation role to Ash's Torracat thanks to their rivalry.
in the end, Sakurai decided that both Decidueye and Incineroar were the most heavy choices to be chosen for Ultimate, with Incineroar being picked for the same "fun moveset" reasoning Sakurai pointed out months ago in the Terry presentation.

so far the only evidence pointing to possible Grookey line spotlighting is the movie having a jungle thematic with the new character have a Tarzan/Mowgli like design which could actually lead to many other favorable things for the starter line.
i could also say something about the title's new coloring, the new character's hairband, and how Anime!Satoshi doesn't have Galar starter pokemon yet, but i reeeally don't wanna make any conclusive jumps lol. (That wouldn't be any good would it?)

Nothing is confirmed at the moment, but the speculation is pretty interesting. I personally see the Scorbunny/Toxel/Grookey lines getting some big attention in the anime/movie promotion based on what they got behind them atm.
I also see the community trying to slack on Rillaboom because its least popular starter or how the grass-typing excuse got boring to everyone, but the ape deserves a bit of a better leg in the big talks of Pokemon and Smash.

i hope this sparks more conversation for the dude, Rillaboom and Toxtricity would be pretty amazing for the Fighter Pass Vol. 2 if we got another pokemon, right after getting our first ever $5.99-priced Nintendo DLC.
Yeah that honestly does look like a rillaboom type thing.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
You can count me in as a supporter. I love Rllaboon and I’d be psyched if he ended up being the first final starter grass evo in Smash. I’m also sick of people saying he wouldn’t work in Smash. There’s a lot you can do with him. So I say bring him on!!

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Yeah that honestly does look like a rillaboom type thing.
yeah
and now we're getting a unveiling of a Mystical Pokemon within the movie too by the end of this month
hopefully that favors the "possible" Grookey line adverting as well somehow

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I'm definitely not into the idea of another Pokemon rep (besides buzzwole of course) because the series is already so well represented, but I actually think Rillaboom is incredibly, incredibly likely for one of the 6 upcoming characters.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
so good news, they unveiled a Mythical pokemon that was Grass/Dark and is another ape. not only the design is pretty neato but the movie is also luscious as hell.
and seeing how they presented Zarude in his preview video, they seem to show that them and Rillaboom don't seem to get along well. XD
1582926073680.png

1582926726491.png

maybe there's a slight chance they're promote the Grookey line there somewhere in the movie (like Incineroar in the ICY movie, or Partner Eevee in the 2nd Pokemon reboot movie), but i need to keep caution of my predictions, lol. It takes place in a Hoenn jungle, so not doing that kind of promotion would be a miss oppuntunity...

also i find it coincidental that they're doing the whole same species starter/mythical again, but as the same type this time; if anybody remember that last gen had a cat starter and cat mythical in the same time. It's pretty funny

the downside? apparently Rillaboom didn't make big numbers on that PotD poll, putting him behind that icecube penguin...
Although, i do want to keep in mind that:
-Decidueye use to be undervoted choice in official pokemon pollings in the past, now it's the top 3 voted final evo starter many years later despite being in Rowlet's shadow and carried by it. Incineroar was too undervoted in other places outside Japan, but now he's finally a Top 10 pokemon with Galar region Pokemon. Takes a good while for people to warm up to said Pokemon.
-no, this doesn't effect Smash anyways, anyhow. I already seen people trying to jump and conclude over how X getting more votes than said pokemon in Smash (or the Smash pokemon getting less than the former) should be the basis of what Pokemon should've been left out and added in instead. We already see the fact all the decided Pokemon for Smash weren't based on popularity but more of a hindsighted thing (going to TPCi and looking at some early developments on promotive material) and decided based on which of the hottest Pokemon's bring the most fun playstyle.

that said, there was still a lot of great choices making up to Top 3 (really happy the fact Toxtricity made it to 2, holy ****). I say give it some time for people to give Rillaboom some deserved love, really underrated Pokemon in Galar.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Welp, the starter popularity took a turn for the worst. When these final starter evo were first revealed, Cinderace and intellon were both unpopular, and rillaboom was popular. That's changed, and now cinderace leads the pack, followed by intellon, and rillaboom is now the least popular one. How times change.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
honestly hope Grookey being in the current anime's ED with Ash's Riolu and his old previous region ace foretell he's going to be caught by Ash soon
however, there's some evidence he might get a Sobble too, but that also leads to the idea of Ash getting BOTH Sobble and Grookey, which would be still excellent news lol.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
honestly hope Grookey being in the current anime's ED with Ash's Riolu and his old previous region ace foretell he's going to be caught by Ash soon
however, there's some evidence he might get a Sobble too, but that also leads to the idea of Ash getting BOTH Sobble and Grookey, which would be still excellent news lol.
Indeed.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm very shocked to see this thread so undersupported-

If for no other reason than the anticipation of this character being in the game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well the characters been getting unpopular recently. Same happened with the Obstagoon and Sirfetch'd threads.
I don't see that as the same thing-

The idea of the finishing of the Trilogy and the final grass starter is as popular as ever- at least what I read, which is substantially less than a few weeks ago.
In theory the idea is popular- just not the actual character?

How did it never get past page two, is my real question.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I don't see that as the same thing-

The idea of the finishing of the Trilogy and the final grass starter is as popular as ever- at least what I read, which is substantially less than a few weeks ago.
In theory the idea is popular- just not the actual character?

How did it never get past page two, is my real question.
Either people never visit the thread to add support (similar to the corviknight and urshifu threads), people have stated they wanted them, yet haven't put support down, or just people have decided there was nothing noteworthy to discuss. Cinderace's thread is active a lot because raboot is in the anime, yet the grookey line hasn't made one appearence yet.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Either people never visit the thread to add support (similar to the corviknight and urshifu threads), people have stated they wanted them, yet haven't put support down, or just people have decided there was nothing noteworthy to discuss. Cinderace's thread is active a lot because raboot is in the anime, yet the grookey line hasn't made one appearence yet.
and with COVID-19 fears putting the Digimon/Pokemon animes to a screeching halt, its going to be even longer to wait for more developments with the other 2 starters to appear already.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
and with COVID-19 fears putting the Digimon/Pokemon animes to a screeching halt, its going to be even longer to wait for more developments with the other 2 starters to appear already.
This is true.

That said- thank you for reminding me that Digimon may have more of an opportunity now than ever before.

I would be happy to see Gorillaboom.
At this point I'd feel slightly more complete with him. I know its a common feeling.

But if that meant no more Apes, and no more Pokemon, I'd not choose this option.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
After getting more familiar with the games I still think Rillaboom could have one of the most unique fun new movesets out of the different Pokemon in Galar (along with Toxtricity).

Upon watching some gameplay I found out from the Camp feature that Rillaboom actually stores its stump on its back! It makes a lot of sense and looks very reasonable.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
After getting more familiar with the games I still think Rillaboom could have one of the most unique fun new movesets out of the different Pokemon in Galar (along with Toxtricity).

Upon watching some gameplay I found out from the Camp feature that Rillaboom actually stores its stump on its back! It makes a lot of sense and looks very reasonable.
Huh. The more you know I guess.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I think Rillaboom should hold his drum in one hand, his stick in the other, and use both as melee weapons.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I think Rillaboom should hold his drum in one hand, his stick in the other, and use both as melee weapons.
Agreed, that's what I did on my moveset and it seems fitting for it to do in the heat of battle. Though I have Rillaboom using and holding the drum as more of a shield.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Or he could just use them as swords- we know that helps the odds be ever in his favor.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Or he could just use them as swords- we know that helps the odds be ever in his favor.
I mean, as I've said in the past, I think what gives Rillaboom more of a chance from a thematic standpoint in representing the Sword&Shield games is the fact he can use a drumstick as a sword and the drum stump as a shield.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean, as I've said in the past, I think what gives Rillaboom more of a chance from a thematic standpoint in representing the Sword&Shield games is the fact he can use a drumstick as a sword and the drum stump as a shield.
Aha! I mean- I was kidding.
Cute statement though.

I'm still team Rillaboom. I actually ended up choosing Grookey, waiting on the evolution surprise, and being quite pleased.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Aha! I mean- I was kidding.
Cute statement though.

I'm still team Rillaboom. I actually ended up choosing Grookey, waiting on the evolution surprise, and being quite pleased.
Ah, I see. Didn't look at the end of your original statement closely enough. That was a funny :p

Was team Sobble until I saw its final evolution. imo Rillaboom got the best looking final evolution.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ah, I see. Didn't look at the end of your original statement closely enough. That was a funny :p

Was team Sobble until I saw its final evolution. imo Rillaboom got the best looking final evolution.
I agree with that.
Do you think that getting Rillaboom would hurt the option for Sakurai to choose another Ape on the pass, specifically from Donkey Kong?
I cannot see multiples being added.... even if I think Rillaboom, Dixie, and DKjr should all be viable options.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I agree with that.
Do you think that getting Rillaboom would hurt the option for Sakurai to choose another Ape on the pass, specifically from Donkey Kong?
I cannot see multiples being added.... even if I think Rillaboom, Dixie, and DKjr should all be viable options.
Well stating Hero and Byleth both got in we should be ok.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I agree with that.
The way I see it, the last pass added 4 humans and all of them were naturally fairly similar proportions. Even Banjo was humanoid. While I'm sure its something they think about, I believe it'd only be a small factor at the most.
Based off what has been said by Sakurai, so long as the DLC fighters offer something new to the table then I don't think they really compete for a spot (when comparing aesthetic similarities).
With those things in mind, if Rillaboom and Dixie are fighters they want to add I don't think they'd bat an eye when considering to add them in the same pass.

Though I'm not the most familiar with the DK franchise. Do you believe Dixie or DKjr have enough going for them moveset wise to make them a worthwhile addition to the second fighters pass? As that'd be my main concern for whether they added them or not. From what I know of them they kinda strike me almost as semi-clones to the existing cast. Similar to how Isabelle and Ganondorf are. Or are either of them better suited as a 'minor' DLC addition?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well stating Hero and Byleth both got in we should be ok.
I don't think that's a fair comparison.
Obviously we are going to get multiple humans.
I would like to think that being Ape's isn't an inherent downturn- but marketing wise, it absolutely would be, even if the characters have nothing in common.

The way I see it, the last pass added 4 humans and all of them were naturally fairly similar proportions. Even Banjo was humanoid. While I'm sure its something they think about, I believe it'd only be a small factor at the most.
Based off what has been said by Sakurai, so long as the DLC fighters offer something new to the table then I don't think they really compete for a spot (when comparing aesthetic similarities).
With those things in mind, if Rillaboom and Dixie are fighters they want to add I don't think they'd bat an eye when considering to add them in the same pass.

Though I'm not the most familiar with the DK franchise. Do you believe Dixie or DKjr have enough going for them moveset wise to make them a worthwhile addition to the second fighters pass? As that'd be my main concern for whether they added them or not. From what I know of them they kinda strike me almost as semi-clones to the existing cast. Similar to how Isabelle and Ganondorf are. Or are either of them better suited as a 'minor' DLC addition?
I fully see DK jr as an echo- I would WANT him as an echo. He is an important part of Nintendo history- and I think he deserves a spot. I just think that spot is the same as Young Link and Pichu.

As for Dixie. I also believe she should be an iteration of Diddy- but barely. The way Falco, Isabelle, or Lucas feel.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
With all of that said then, I still think its reasonable to get Rillaboom and Dixie in the same fighters pass. One is an ape and the other is a monkey. One is new, the other is 'classic'. We've gotten semi-clones as DLC in Smash4 so likely Dixie would be different enough to fit the bill.

As for whether Nintendo is wanting another DK character added, thats another discussion I haven't a clue on.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
With all of that said then, I still think its reasonable to get Rillaboom and Dixie in the same fighters pass. One is an ape and the other is a monkey. One is new, the other is 'classic'. We've gotten semi-clones as DLC in Smash4 so likely Dixie would be different enough to fit the bill.

As for whether Nintendo is wanting another DK character added, thats another discussion I haven't a clue on.
For the record- that would be quite swell.

There really is no way for my brain to find completion in the roster, so I will have to learn, like many others, to accept there is a character limit.

Top Bottom