• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riivolution xml and files for PM 3.5

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
Since official support was apparently dropped, I slapped together a quick XML file, manually patched a brsar for sfx, and added a toggle for online/offline.
(apparently there are unofficial matchmaking servers now that the official ones are down? Not a clue how that works, included GCTs are the default PM 3.5 ones)

If you don't have any use for Riivolution's versatility, I'd recommend just using the official Project M launcher, new with 3.01.

First, install the 'homebrew' version of PM 3.5 as per the official instructions, then dump this pack into root.

You can grab the pack here: https://www.mediafire.com/?0852oqyp8ohg8q2
And here's a much smaller download without the brsar, if you already have that: https://www.mediafire.com/?9rwy4pi3e31anzw
brsar last modified in P:M 3.5
---
If you have Riivolution 1.05, upgrade to 1.06, the old one is buggy with Brawl: http://rvlution.net/riivolution.zip

Last edited:

Runathir

Smash Rookie
Thank you kindly. I'm willing to try out the Gecko setup... but I'm a bit stuck in my ways with Riivo. It has the advantage of easy access by installing it as a channel (although I'm sure there's a way to do it with Gecko), and also having options for different load outs with a simple click. I also just got a 4GB card in anticipation for the release; my old 1GB just isn't enough anymore @_@ (and yes, I'm aware they're going to fix this part soonish)

Runathir

Smash Rookie
The download worked fine for me. Maybe try a different browser?

I do have a question: is the OFFLINEcommon5.pac the same as the common5.pac that comes with the homebrew full set? If it is, I should be able to copy the common5.pac I already have and rename it to OFFLINEcommon5.pac, yea? That way I wouldn't have to do all my edits twice.

EDIT: After trying it out, following your instructions, I couldn't get it to work. I tried multiple hook types, and made sure any other .xml pages were disabled completely, but to no avail. I took a look at the .xml you made, and did notice that it references "pfmenu2/" rather than "pf/menu2". I'm not sure if that was intentional, but PM 3.0 doesn't use the former. Don't know why that would prevent the whole thing from working though either.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
The download worked fine for me. Maybe try a different browser?

I do have a question: is the OFFLINEcommon5.pac the same as the common5.pac that comes with the homebrew full set? If it is, I should be able to copy the common5.pac I already have and rename it to OFFLINEcommon5.pac, yea? That way I wouldn't have to do all my edits twice.

EDIT: After trying it out, following your instructions, I couldn't get it to work. I tried multiple hook types, and made sure any other .xml pages were disabled completely, but to no avail. I took a look at the .xml you made, and did notice that it references "pfmenu2/" rather than "pf/menu2". I'm not sure if that was intentional, but PM 3.0 doesn't use the former. Don't know why that would prevent the whole thing from working though either.
OFFLINEcommon5.pac is the same common5.pac that comes with the offline install of PM, yeah.
That and ONLINEcommon5.pac are just there for the online/offline toggle.

And thanks for the catch on pfmenu2, was totally not intentional, updated the archive.

Runathir

Smash Rookie
Alright, I figured out the problem I was having. In order to get this to run, you may have to remove from your SD card any other .xml files for Brawl. I only had one other one, and had everything set to disable, but removing that one file fixed everything.

My theory on this is that the other .xml file also referenced the patch id "projectm", and that by disabling it on that page, it prevented it from being enabled for the other. I didn't think it worked like that, but that's the only explanation I can come up with. So if you're having trouble getting Porject M to work at all with Daakun's instructions, try removing (at least temporarily) any other .xml files from your SD card. Hope that helps someone.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
...y'know, that might just be a thing. Would explain why it seems to work flawlessly for some people and not at all for others.

TMal

Smash Rookie
I've tried all of this and it just won't even show anything on the Riivolution menu. Any tips?

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Quick question; is the smashbros_sound.brsar file changed at all? Because I really want to use my custom smashbros_sound.brsar file, but I don't want to overwrite it if it has Mewtwo and Roy's SFX.

Speaking of Mewtwo and Roy, are their SFX loaded from the brsar now, or do they still use the sawnd files from the official release?

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
So. http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1sjgxu/riivolution_support_for_30/cdyey8v
Turns out matching patchids in different xml files WAS an issue for people. Fixed that in the archive to avoid conflicts.

Quick question; is the smashbros_sound.brsar file changed at all? Because I really want to use my custom smashbros_sound.brsar file, but I don't want to overwrite it if it has Mewtwo and Roy's SFX.

Speaking of Mewtwo and Roy, are their SFX loaded from the brsar now, or do they still use the sawnd files from the official release?
Yeah, the smashbros_sound.brsar has the sfx for Roy, Mewtwo, announcer calls, Dr. Mario's pill, Link's side taunt easter egg, etc.
The sawnd files from in the official release were used to patch a stock brsar, but the sawnd files themselves are useless for Riivolution; they rely on the Sound Bank Replacement Engine and I had to strip that code from the GCT to avoid crashing issues.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
Are there any cons or features left out in this?

Handy Man

Smash Ace
The sawnd files from in the official release were used to patch a stock brsar, but the sawnd files themselves are useless for Riivolution; they rely on the Sound Bank Replacement Engine and I had to strip that code from the XML to avoid crashing issues.
How can I add the sawnd files into the brsar? I'm assuming that I need to use the Sawndz program, but I'm not exactly sure of how I'm actually supposed to add the sawnd files into the brsar. Instructions would be nice, since I don't want to take away all of my custom SFX.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
I'd recommend using super sawndz, it has a much easier UI to work with: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=47713.0

From there it's pretty straightforward.
Open the brsar, click the "..." next to the input field, click the soundbank you're replacing on the right list, then hit the insert button.

The sawnd files for PM are all numbered after the specific soundbank they replace; if you're not sure where something goes, just click stuff until the "group id" field matches the filename, they're listed in order.

Are there any cons or features left out in this?
Only a minor one; since Riivolution crashes with the replacement sound bank engine, you can't just toss a sawnd file into your sfx folder; you have to patch them into the bsrar.
I included a prepatched brsar with all the PM changes, so it's only an issue if you have custom sfx like the fellow just above this post.

South Cape

Smash Rookie
I went from being unable to load the game, to being able to play it perfectly well. I thank you for this.

sahalhassan

Smash Rookie
Hey what do the hooks do? which should i pick?
Edit, by the way when i do launch with hook disabled it freezes when i choose stage...
Could it be cuz im choosing wrong hook?
But it still gets into game with project m format. Whenever i tried before using this it just booted normal brawl.

Ørangedudε

Smash Rookie
Thank you kindly. I'm willing to try out the Gecko setup... but I'm a bit stuck in my ways with Riivo. It has the advantage of easy access by installing it as a channel (although I'm sure there's a way to do it with Gecko), and also having options for different load outs with a simple click. I also just got a 4GB card in anticipation for the release; my old 1GB just isn't enough anymore @_@ (and yes, I'm aware they're going to fix this part soonish)
Will this work for PAL or is it only NTSC?

TheKk-47

Smash Apprentice
So I got it mostly working, the XML was really weird. It was missing a lot of paths. But now the CSS and SSS are messed up. It freezes when I pass by Wario(loudly), and it freezes when I select a stage(silently).

EDIT: Ok, now I think it's my files, because it loaded the codes(had turbo)

Dreamer_

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3496-9337-7244
EDIT: Help D: it won't load. When launch it it stay at the white screen that tells me to visit the project m website. Is there a specific way I have to have the files in my sd card? I just put them in as I saw them...
I renamed the PM file that came with the "PM 3.0 Riivolution" folder into projectm 3.0
EDIT #2: Now it's freezing after a set period of time. (I can only make it to the loading screen) What is going on? TT_TT

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
thank you this is so awesome... so hey as long as a memory card is big enough, one can load both full set or online versions of the game? where could you place the directory's for it?

it takes awhile to load the game.... but it works like a charm, works with SDHC and works SOO much better then geeko thankyouthankyouthankyou

after going though all the modes I could; only found one big crash- master hand cannot be fought on my load.... I'm not sure why... nor do I really care, I'm happy it works as well as it does! so many problems with gecko glad that ppl are into the Riivoulation version still. I'll just wait for a more stable project m release now

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
yeah, despite the bosses (master hand and meta riley) freezing, the game works very well. I notice it takes longer to load a game then gecko

TheKk-47

Smash Apprentice
What are you doing? For me, I just stuck the files into the root of my SDHC card, along with the homebrew files. When Riivoulution starts up, I do offline and hook IV.
So that's it? Just drop all the files in there. What about the two project m folders? What about that weird XML?

Dreamer_

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3496-9337-7244
So that's it? Just drop all the files in there. What about the two project m folders? What about that weird XML?
I tried renaming the projectm file to projectm 3.0 but it either freezes at the loading screen when I rename the one that came with the riivolution stuff or it freezes on the stage loading screen when I rename the homebrew file...

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
Just dump the folders inside the archive to root, seriously.
No moving files, no renaming files. The folder named "projectm" should merge with the one already present from the normal PM install.

SDM

Smash Cadet
I just want to say thank you for providing this unofficial fix. If it weren't for you, I still wouldn't be able to play Project M. I got this the day after the release date, so I've been playing PM for awhile now because of you.

Dreamer_

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3496-9337-7244
Just dump the folders inside the archive to root, seriously.
No moving files, no renaming files. The folder named "projectm" should merge with the one already present from the normal PM install.
I got it to work...I owe you a serious apology. I'm sorry for literally doing nothing but complain the entire time. You really didn't even have to make this but you did and for that I thank you

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
I've tried all of this and it just won't even show anything on the Riivolution menu. Any tips?
Sorry about totally missing this post. :x
Sounds to me like you have an outdated system menu. Try updating to 4.3 if you haven't already.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
is anyone else experience game crashing when starting to fight master hand or meta ridley? or is this just me?

other then that this is a rock solid rii port

Top Bottom