• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riesz/Lise, the Wind Amazon Princess (Mana series - Trials of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3)

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Riesz, the princess and captain of the army of Laurent, the Kingdom of Wind!

Trials_of_Mana_-_Riesz.png

Who?

Riesz (spelled Lise in the fan translation of the original game) is one of 6 protagonists in Trials of Mana (formerly known as Seiken Densetsu 3), released in 1995 on the SNES. It's the next game in the Mana series right after SNES classic Secret of Mana. When I say "classic", I mean Chrono Trigger levels of classic.

Trials of Mana never released outside of Japan on SNES. Despite that, fans made complete fan translations in English, French, German and Spanish of the game and to this day, Riesz remains the uncontested favourite character of the entire Mana series... by a landslide. Seriously, she has amounts of fanart comparable to at least Palutena! Her game is more than 20 years old and was never released outside of Japan!

As for her personal story, she's trained to be the best warrior in her kingdom since a young age while caring for her younger brother Elliot - their mother having passed away after giving birth to him. One day, Elliot is tricked by infiltrators from another region into turning off Laurent's protective winds, allowing them to spread sleep powder over the castle and invade. Despite her struggle, her father the king dies, many soldiers fall, the castle is in flames, forcing Laurent's people and its army to flee and let it be conquered as they find refuge in mountain caves to mount a counterattack... During these events, her brother Elliot is also captured in front of her eyes for some unknown purpose. This last bit forces her to make the decision to leave in search of her brother.

This combination of Norse and Greek mythologies, strong yet kind persona (remindful of the Yamato Nadeshiko in Japanese culture), pretty design, tragic hero backstory and more earned her a huge following that continues to this day. She's recently made a playable cameo in Million Arthur: Arcana Blood with a new remix to The Sacrifice - Part III (final boss, phase 3) as her theme:

"Please tell me your select!" Ahh Japan, you and your Engrish.
ahem ... But more importantly! Her game is getting a 3D remake due April 2020!

Why?

A big question that comes pretty fast is: why Riesz and not Randi (Secret of Mana's MC) or Duran (generally used as the face of Trials of Mana)?

First Duran. Despite being pushed forward as the "actual" MC, he's mostly a generic shounen anime swordsman - brash, hot-headed, confident, etc. As his class evolves, he gains spells... but very few of them - Heal, Enchant Weapon (element)... and that's it. He's not a very popular character either nor is he iconic, his moveset potential is low... clearly we can do better.

Next is Randi. Main character of Secret of Mana, the better known of the 2 games. He wields the Mana Sword and can't cast spells. Yuck, that sounds even worse! Well not entirely. In Secret of Mana, all 3 characters have access to all the weapons at your disposal. This means Randi can wield: sword, gloves, axe, spear, javelin, bow, boomerang, whip. Now that is a wide variety of weaponry and good potential for a moveset! Throw in Flammie the cut, fluffy, 4-winged feathery dragon for his up B as a bonus.
However... we have a lot of sword fighters and brawlers. We also have Link as the resident walking arsenal followed closely by Simon and Richter. Those 3 combined cover every weapon used by Randi plus some, with the exception of gloves, spear and javelin. And as I said before, lots of brawlers already anyway.
So while there is potential and reason to choose Randi (being the face of one of the best SNES classics), this just might not be enough... FUN FACT: Randi's design is similar to Crono from Chrono Trigger as they originally were one and the same!

In comes Riesz. Popularity-wise, she's miles ahead of Duran or Randi. Her game is also a SNES classic and being part of the Mana series, also serves as a rep for Secret of Mana (kinda). She's also wielding the one weapon Randi possesses that has yet to be represented by anyone in smash: the spear... okay, there's the javelin too. But she does use her spear like one in her Vanadis's weapon tech for instance. Not only that, she also has access to summons for her final smash. Her weapon techs also inspired many moves in MAAB, for example some control over wind and fire a bit in her kit, which translate pretty well in smash. More about this in the moveset section.

Moveset!

Riesz_1.png

Here is a concept for a moveset for Riesz. It's mostly to show what could be done with her and her weapon, how her weapon techs could give birth to neat specials for instance.

Before going into the meat of it, here's in a few words the idea behind it. Riesz in my opinion wouldn't be a combo-heavy character, nor would she be a heavy-hitter. Her kit should instead offer her some combos, allow for strings and use her superior range to her advantage. Her drawbacks would be being slightly slower and/or punishable especially on swiping moves or having to be more precise, like on her lunges. She'd also be pretty vulnerable to cross-ups. In short, not a rushdown or a bait&punish character, but one who maintains a safe distance while exerting pressure. Also, I've tried to incorporate every single weapon tech in her kit as best I could.

Important detail: sweetspot on almost all her moves at the pointy end of her stick (those without have a * before the name of the move)! Downside is that sourspot can be especially bad for the laggier moves, giving your opponent the opportunity to hit you before you can recover. In short, blonde Marth.

Ground moves:
Jab: hits with the hilt (opposite end of the pointy one), follow-up with an overhead slash of her spear. Get-off-me tool leading to tech chase.
Dash attack: could've been a quick lunge, but that's too rushdown so... a hop (à la Incineroar's D-smash) to stab diagonally down before landing. Laggy.
F-tilt: stabs with her spear with good range. Annoying sweetspot but punishable otherwise.
D-tilt: sweeps the floor with her spear. Low knockback, combo starter. Only sweetspot guarantees combos.
U-tilt: upwards slash, stops above her head, doesn't hit behind her. Good anti-air, sets up juggling.

F-smash: weapon tech Whirlwind Lance - spins her spear above her head (charge-up) before lunging + step forward. Hitbox while spinning knocking into lunge (doesn't keep inside spin-to-win).
D-smash: stabs her spear into the ground in front of her, perfect for edgeguarding (hitbox extends more below than for other characters... not as much as Lucas though). Doesn't hit behind her. Fastest smash, few active frames, relatively safe on shield, not too powerful. More of a "poking smash" to edgeguard, gimping those with poor recoveries.
*U-smash: weapon tech Light Bullet Spear - hurls a spear/javelin at a 70° angle, later falling down in an arc. Similar to Snake's mortar in that charging it only increases its range, not its damage or knockback.

*Grab: mediocre range, ok speed. Same for dashgrab. Pummels with the hilt, slow but hits decently.

*F-throw: Shoulder bash, then makes a 180 for an overhead slash. Combos at very low %. Knockback remains average, good for throwing off-stage. No tech chase.
*B-throw: Flips over to the other side of your opponent, kicks them towards the ground after the apex. Low knockback, sends very low, always leads to tech chase (higher % = further away from Riesz).
*D-throw: Throws opponent on the ground, hops with her spear and lands on them with stabby end. Kill throw at high % (150% or more), no guaranteed combos.
*U-throw: Sweeps the opponent off the ground with her spear, using it to then hurl them diagonally up forward. Potential follow-ups.

Aerials:
N-air: slashes diagonally down from waist to feet (around 70° angle down). Launches opponents at a low angle.

F-air: MAAB tech Hyakka Spear (or I suppose "Hundred Stabs") - stabs 5 times in front of her in rapid succession. Slightly slows fall while active (so the hits connect). Endlag. Good damage but subpar knockback.

*B-air: very fast weak hit with the hilt at shoulders height, almost no knockback nor endlag (like Little Mac's N-air), enough hitstun to for example double jump D-air (only at higher %?). Turns her around (allowing combo into U-air).

D-air: weapon tech Flying Heaven Spear - pretty much Link's D-air: initial hit spikes, bounces off people and shield. Move ends after hitting/bouncing once. After initial hit, launches opponent up in the air in the direction Riesz is facing.

U-air: MAAB tech Gale Spear - lunges diagonally up with the help of the wind, rising up in the air before falling down. Initial hit has a sweetspot (less powerful than the knee). Endlag stops slightly above her initial point. Can only rise once, refreshes after double jump.

Specials:
Neutral B: weapon tech Hundred Flower Dance - after a short delay, stabs in front of her (can be angled 30° up or down). Endlag if miss. If it connects, Riesz delivers multiple fiery hits in a very rapid succession, ending with a strong finishing blow. Think Mii Brawler's neutral B but with more range and requiring more precision.

*Side B: weapon tech Dragon Fang Spear - unleashes a powerful fire lunge (think Falcon Kick but stays the same in the air). Significant endlag.
*Side B - variant: press B again or keep holding B (only if an enemy is hit). Riesz immediately performs a 2nd lunge in the opposite direction. More damage and less endlag but significantly reduced knockback as well. Punishable at very low %, follow-ups (combos?) at mid %.

*Down B: weapon tech Whirlwind Wave Spear - sends a wind projectile in front of her (ground level, reaches to the hips) in the form of a twirling ring. Behaves like Mii SF's weak charakm toss (stopping after a short distance, trapping enemies inside... doesn't return after stopping though).
*Down B - variant: press B again or keep holding B. Weapon tech Vaccuum Wave Spear - sends the first version, channels a bit more power for half a second then send another faster, more powerful one. Voids WWS upon contact, drags enemies a bit then explodes, launching them. Quite a bit of endlag.

*Up B (same in the air): weapon tech Shooting Star Spear (or Meteor Spear?) - step backwards while a visible clone mirrors Riesz opposite of her. Both lunge at a 45° angle for an X strike, then once more. Clone disappears, Riesz continues on her trajectory (the one she was facing at the start) a little bit before entering freefall. B reverse it to fool opponents (so they try to hit the clone) or go the other direction.
*Up B - variant (same in the air): press B again or keep holding B. Instead of continuing on her trajectory after the 2nd X-strike, Riesz flips back overhead of the enemy, then falls down à la Ike's Aether with the same properties: the spike, the landing hitbox, no grabbing the ledge in reverse, falling to your death against Mario...

Final Smash: Bring in the summons!

Note: don't hesitate to watch some MAAB footage or Riesz. Even if it's not your kind of game, you'll at least see in action several of the moves I have in mind, or close variations at least.

Stage & Music

The stage would pretty obviously be the Mana Tree. It's the single most important location common to I believe every Mana game in the franchise. As to how it'd play out, regarding platforms etc... I'm not sure, there could be many ways to do it.

secret-of-mana-hd-wallpapers-33599-2265818.jpg

As for the music, I've already linked a new remix above, but there are other music tracks worthy of an inclusion.

- (Trials of Mana) The Sacrifice - Part III... reminder for those checking this place there was another track.

- (Trials of Mana) Meridian Child - this one is a given. You can't have Trials of Mana music without that particular piece. Here's a (sorta) orchestral remix, you can easily find the original track on youtube.

- (Trials of Mana) Boss Battle Medley - seriously, there's more than a dozen boss battle themes. A medley would do them justice just fine... except they'd all have to be cut short. Why did you have to have so many good 3 minute-long boss battle themes, game?! Example of a guy who plays 2 such themes on his piano:

- (Secret of Mana) Meridian Dance - final boss theme. Most famous track of the game and a great one too. Here you go, an arranged version of the theme:

- (Secret of Mana) The Oracle - penultimate battle theme. If you're wondering about the origins of that music style, it's from Bali. You have the instruments of course but there are also parts reminiscent of the kecak dance. Hmm... For my good conscience alone: that theme may make you feel quite uncomfortable. Has to do with the instruments I guess.

- (Sword of Mana) Touched by Courage and Pride - boss battle against none other than the Dark Lord himself. The original was on GBA but since then, an official remix has been released as part of the Kenji Ito Arrange Album - cue the violins! Yet another proof the Mana series has a pretty good soundtrack.

- (Legend of Mana) Darkness Nova - boss battle theme. In my opinion, three themes deserves to make it in from Legend of Mana, but I'd only put 1 in: Darkness Nova, Pain the Universe, Song of Mana. I'm not too sure about Song of Mana and its Swedish lyrics plus slow start-up, though remixed I could see that. Anyway, if you're interested, give the other 2 a listen.

I want more Legend of Mana remixes. That soundtrack deserves more love, dammit.

... And that's already half a dozen of tunes so I'll stop there. The Mana series had pretty famous composers creating its soundtrack so it tends to be good quality. Hard to know when to stop.

Some more arguments

- Square (Enix) character on a Nintendo console
- Reps a video game series that has 2 games viewed as classics (or at least one)
- Stupidly popular for a character that stayed in Japan
- The most popular of her entire series by such a wide margin it's honestly baffling
- Her game is getting a 3D remake next year on the Switch, making her a retro classic and still relevant today, on a Nintendo console no less
- Wields a weapon not yet represented in smash, not even with Assist Trophies IIRC... even though spear was the most common weapon in medieval times
- If Trials of Mana (Switch) sells well, she'll basically be confirmed at that point

I just want her in smash to main her? Does that count as an argument? I sure wish it did... Anyway, I have to cut it short somewhere and this seems as good a place as any before I go on for even longer! And I've already spent more hours than I'd like to admit typing all this.

Riesz.full.114671.jpg

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Talking with other people on GameFaqs, I realised I never posted the video that truly sparked my interest for Riesz in Smash:

Before watching it, I was just hyped for the remake. After watching it, I was like "holy moly that moveset would be right at home in Smash"!

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
I forgotten all about her! Riesz would be a interesting addition for Smash if she was made playable, and with the lack of female fighters we need some more female representation.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I always had a soft spot for the Mana series, because the first game was part of my childhood (its called Mystic Quest in Europe, Seiken Densetsu in Japan or Final Fantasy Adventure in the US).

Its also worth nothing, that while the Mana series overall was more niché, Seiken Densetsu 3 is a game people wanted translated for years like Mother 3 and while fanart of Mana is overall scarce, Riesz always showed up.

The Mana series also has a bit of a revival seeing that they also remade the original and Secret of Mana, so I could really see Riesz being a sleeper pick.

Also for music to add "Rising Sun" and "Courage and Pride from the heart" are a must. "Rising Sun is the "Overture" for the mana series, while "Courage and Pride form the heart" is one of the most iconic boss themes from the series. There is also stuff like "Nuclear Fusion" and "Faith Total Machine"

I fully support Riesz as my sleeper pick

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
I always had a soft spot for the Mana series, because the first game was part of my childhood (its called Mystic Quest in Europe, Seiken Densetsu in Japan or Final Fantasy Adventure in the US).

Its also worth nothing, that while the Mana series overall was more niché, Seiken Densetsu 3 is a game people wanted translated for years like Mother 3 and while fanart of Mana is overall scarce, Riesz always showed up.

The Mana series also has a bit of a revival seeing that they also remade the original and Secret of Mana, so I could really see Riesz being a sleeper pick.

Also for music to add "Rising Sun" and "Courage and Pride from the heart" are a must. "Rising Sun is the "Overture" for the mana series, while "Courage and Pride form the heart" is one of the most iconic boss themes from the series. There is also stuff like "Nuclear Fusion" and "Faith Total Machine"

I fully support Riesz as my sleeper pick
Thanks for reminding me about Touched by Courage and Pride, completely forgot about that as I wanted to focus on Secret, Trials and one more piece from another game. Definitely deserves its slot.

Rising Sun is nice too but... isn't it a bit too calm to fit as a stage music? If it's not, it's definitely getting added. Hardly anything else screams "Mana!" more than this piece. It has this gentle, soothing, magical atmosphere with tints of melancholy - very fitting for the Mana Tree, I find.

"Nuclear Fusion", "Faith Total Machine", "Black Soup", "High Tension Wire"... There was a surprising amount of boss themes, and several were pretty good. I couldn't choose so I just went "boss medley" instead.

Probably an uncommon pick but I also liked "Three of Darkness". All the others were these upbeat themes to energise you as you fought. But not for the forgotten dark Mana Stone. No fanfare, just some cryptic war drums. That unsettled me the first time I played it. Could certainly use a remix and it wouldn't fit Smash anyway but I just wanted to throw it out here. Like "The Oracle" though, not a theme I'd listen to in my free time, haha.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Thinking about it, one gimmick could be being able to slowly move while charging a smash. As a call-out to Secret of Mana, where you'd have to charge up your weapon skill and could walk while doing so. It might be too strong? But I'm not sure there could be another way to implement that weapon skill level mechanic in smash.

Or wait, maybe there could be... For example, landing attacks would fill a gauge, making the next smash/special stronger once the gauge is full after I dunno, 7 attacks (not hits, attacks)? That could be fun in its own right, forcing the opponent to respect your damage+ko potential from this gimmick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom