• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley's Side-B(?) Grab Range

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Ideally it stays like this since that'd be good for us lol

Although there are two factors at play here potentially that could be possibly skewing our perspective -- first, DK is using down-B which may be extending his hurtbox (especially since he raises his arms to slap downward) thus leading to getting grabbed from below the platform. And/or Ridley's side-B grab range might be larger in the air than on the ground, or both are just very large. So at this point hard to say.

However that's really good if it just grabs below the platform like that on tall characters lol

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That...definitely looks janky.

But nah, it's not particularly bad. DK's hurtbox is pretty huge (possibly bigger when doing down B even), so this probably only works on big bodies anyway.

Captain Maybe

Smash Rookie
I don't think it's jank, I think it just has a very respectable hitbox. Allow me to explain with this (low quality, sorry) capture.

Here I've crudely circled:
1. Ridley's body without his arm extending with Side B (Green)
2. Ridley's Side B visuals (his arm and the little puffy light that comes out (Red)
3. DK's hand (Black)

DK is using his Down B and that motion he is doing with his hand is extending his hurtbox significantly and without protection. The frame in which I have circled is not the LAST frame in which his arm goes up, and promptly, he is grabbed the next frame, which can only mean his arm entered the area in which I have circled Ridley's Side B.

Less jank, more actual representative frame data of a move. Looking at Ganon's Side B in Smash 4 which is similar, this hitbox is a very nice thing to see. Sorry for the long response!

IronTed

Smash Ace
Shhh, don't point out Ridley being really good, he might get nerfed.

But in all matters of seriousness, as stated before, this seems like a specific situation, with DK using his down-B and having a tall hurtbox.

I don't think it's jank, I think it just has a very respectable hitbox. Allow me to explain with this (low quality, sorry) capture.

2. Ridley's Side B visuals (his arm and the little puffy light that comes out (Red)
3. DK's hand (Black)

DK is using his Down B and that motion he is doing with his hand is extending his hurtbox significantly and without protection. The frame in which I have circled is not the LAST frame in which his arm goes up, and promptly, he is grabbed the next frame, which can only mean his arm entered the area in which I have circled Ridley's Side B.

Less jank, more actual representative frame data of a move. Looking at Ganon's Side B in Smash 4 which is similar, this hitbox is a very nice thing to see. Sorry for the long response!
This is off topic, but I just wanted to commend you, this is a great first post.

Last edited:

Jonn

Smash Apprentice
Ok, but this is 100x better than Ganon's side-b. It comes out faster and Ridley appears to reach below with his arm, so the range is definitely better downward.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Ok, but this is 100x better than Ganon's side-b. It comes out faster and Ridley appears to reach below with his arm, so the range is definitely better downward.
Ridley's side-B is much slower than flame choke, Ridley's side-B is like frame 23-24 while Ganon's is 16.
Plus Ganon can follow up from his own side-B (especialy with the buffs it got in ulttmate) while Ridley Can't.
Just because they're both command grabs doesn't mean they have the same purpose.

Jonn

Smash Apprentice
Ridley's side-B is much slower than flame choke, Ridley's side-B is like frame 23-24 while Ganon's is 16.
Plus Ganon can follow up from his own side-B (especialy with the buffs it got in ulttmate) while Ridley Can't.
Just because they're both command grabs doesn't mean they have the same purpose.
You don't have to follow up when it does 24% damage and throws him way off the stage. You're as good as dead off stage against a good player.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
You don't have to follow up when it does 24% damage and throws him way off the stage. You're as good as dead off stage against a good player.
It can be mashed out from what i've seen so who knows how consistent the damage will be.
But the big thing is the startup, it seems to be the slowest command grab in the game.

Jonn

Smash Apprentice
It can be mashed out from what i've seen so who knows how consistent the damage will be.
But the big thing is the startup, it seems to be the slowest command grab in the game.
Maybe but it looks like it connects faster, or has Bayonetta's side-b jank where it'll **** you up no matter what if you're in it's way.

Last edited:

3. DK's hand (Black)

Never apologize for long replies! They're the best honestly. The more detailed, the better!

That said, I agree with the other people in this thread. Despite the respectable grabbox on this move, I suspect this is due to DK extending his hurtbox with Down B. It'd be fantastic though if it DID work on taller characters all the time - particularly Rosalina and Bayo maybe? As we saw in the invitational, Ridley seems to have a problem with getting back to the ground and getting juggled around. Being on a platform with someone below you is already a super disadvantageous position, and the threat of UAir juggles from Rosalina and UTilt-started combos from Bayo is particularly worrying for Ridley. Side B might be able to help with this to a degree. Both of the characters I mentioned have to poke their hurtboxes above the platform at least a little to catch Ridley, so even if the ole grab n' drag doesn't work, it might at least grab them when they hit you, forcing them into a grab breakout and resetting the situation.

If you tech it, Flame Choke sets up a tech chase. If not, it sets up a roll chase and can't be mashed out of, making it a solid option at any percent. Ridley's Side B can be mashed out of, which is easier at earlier percentages, so the reward might not even be that great all the time. I don't think it's TOO good considering how slow it is and that it can be mashed out of.

Last edited:

Jonn

Smash Apprentice
If you tech it, Flame Choke sets up a tech chase. If not, it sets up a roll chase and can't be mashed out of, making it a solid option at any percent. Ridley's Side B can be mashed out of, which is easier at earlier percentages, so the reward might not even be that great all the time. I don't think it's TOO good considering how slow it is and that it can be mashed out of.
If I have to mash out every time Ridley Side-B's me I already lost. And I'm talking about how it connects, Ganon's side-b is slow as **** in the air. No one uses it in the air at all.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
If I have to mash out every time Ridley Side-B's me I already lost. And I'm talking about how it connects, Ganon's side-b is slow as **** in the air. No one uses it in the air at all.
I suggest you should stop talking about moves you clearly have no clue about, air choke was very useful in 4 and it'll continue being useful in ultimate as it can't be teched and prevents platform camping vs Dorf.
And it's still faster than Ridlet side-B.

Jonn

Smash Apprentice
I suggest you should stop talking about moves you clearly have no clue about, air choke was very useful in 4 and it'll continue being useful in ultimate as it can't be teched and prevents platform camping vs Dorf.
And it's still faster than Ridlet side-B.
Guess I never played anyone that ever used his side-b in the air then. And I'd bet I can beat your Ganon with mine.

Top Bottom