• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley's Recovery

Basseidon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baaseidon
Maybe I've missed something already know but has anyone else had trouble with his recovery?

Specifically his up-B into a forward diagnoal upword path.

After labbing with it for a bit, my friend and I discovered you can't go that path with his up-B. You can do a forward diagonal downward or even backwards diagonal upwards up-B, just not forward and upward.

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Looks like they implemented it so that you can follow offstage and edgeguard without having to turn around to recover. You can dip slightly below the level of the stage and still get back fine.

Forblazen

Smash Rookie
Protip: you can cancel sideb's endlag with a jump, so when you get hit offstage do side b first and you have a huge window to recover. (And you got 2 midair jumps so you can mixup when you side b)

I genuinely think he has one of the best recoveries

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Ridley's Up B has 4 angles: up, forward, back, and down.
Forward is always angled down, backwards is always angled up, and down is always angled forward -- that's just how it works.

If you want to use backwards Up B to recover, you can't use b reverse / turnaround b (afaik anyway), so you should do a turnaround jump (press backwards + jump at the same time).

Luckily Ridley has a bit of magnet hands, so even if you're off a bit, Ridley can still grab the ledge.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Yeah after I realized there are only four angles ( i was inputing diagonals and getting inconsistent results) I actually dont think his recovery is weak. Yes, up b has some startup, but thats really the only vulnerability. Its very hard to challenge once it starts. Plus, knowing that down always goes down forward really frees your mind to pull off some nice edge guarding and recovery options.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Jason (M2k) did a video about this a day ago on his MVG YouTube channel, went pretty in depth with it. Would link to it if I wasn’t at work/on my phone, but essentially - don’t use the 45 degree directions. Like mentioned above, straight up, down, forward, and back are the only angles to that actually give you the same, consistent trajectories.

Dibble

Smash Cadet
From the little I've played I feel like Ridley's recovery options aren't too bad. He can usually make it back to stage from most distances however I believe it might be a lot more impossible in higher levels of play. The main trouble is that you have to be directly underneath the ledge if you're below floor level, meaning that if you're out of double jumps and just need to get a slightly diagonal angle to get up, you're screwed.
I'm loving Ridley so far, but his up-B seems unnecessarily unituitive. It should be changed to be completely directional or at the very least give us more angles for each direction.

S-bow64

Smash Cadet
I thought it was bad at first but like some of you said Ridley has a big ledge snap range and I hardly got challenged while using it.

Can someone confirm if Ridley has wing intangibility or something along those lines ? I managed to negate a lot of moves and projectiles with it using the forward and backward ones.

Also did anybody manages to spike with the backward one, the tip is saying it's possible so I tried to challenge recoveries by turning my back to the ledge but with no success. I just want to dunk somebody with it haha.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The back/rising Up B can stage spike, which is what I think the tip meant. Down angle Up B is the very potent spike that can also snap the ledge.

S-bow64

Smash Cadet
ahh nevermind, must have been a misread, I don't know why I thought the tip said backward instead of downward.

That a shame but at least it can spike.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Good rundown in addition to what's already been said.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Forward is always angled down, backwards is always angled up, and down is always angled forward
This reads like a god damn riddle lmao

Ridley's recovery is great as long as you don't get your 2nd jump eaten. Being able to turn around mid air is essential to recovering from deep.

Top Bottom