• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley's Greatest Hits (and sometimes worst)

Gleam

Smash Ace
Although I've been a Ganondorf main for most of my life, I've always wanted Ridley in Smash. The dream has come true and I've gone out of my way to learn the claws and wings of the greatest space pirate dragon that ever existed. As we all know, one of Ridley's greatest, if not the greatest aspect of his character is his nearly insane edgeguarding and offstage gameplay. I've started to do some hypothetical testing to see just how well Ridley can do off stage.

Test #1: "Who can Ridley take out in 1-2 F-airs or N-airs at about 10-30% on Final Destination once he gets them off and slightly below the stage?
Notes: This was done in Training so things like DI or character reactions beyond trying to use their Up-B were not taken into consideration. It would be great to know how things would turn out if other aspects were taken in. As I said, this was just some fun testing but I thought it might be nice to get an idea of Ridley can be good at taking off stage and who he might need to be a little wary on.

On top of DI survival, I'd also like to know which characters might have aerial priority over Ridley. Some characters like Ganondorf have a poor enough recovery that they can technically be gimped in a few moves. However if his attack are more likely to connect, it may be better to cut losses instead of trying to rush off stage to finish the job. Also, I don't know if that's true for Ganondorf or not.

Character List Below:

CHARACTER: Mario:ultmario:
Without DI: Ridley can take out Mario with 1 F-Air and definitely 2 F-airs
With DI: ???
Priority List: What if any moves should Ridley be wary about when going off stage after Mario (and other characters on the list?)

ChARACTER: Donkey Kong :ultdk:
Without DI: Ridley can only take out DK with 2 F-airs, his recovery is good enough to survive one.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Link :ultlink:
Without DI: Ridley can take out Link with one F-air, though barely.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Samus :ultsamus:
Without DI: Samus can be taken out with 1-2 F-air, however her secondary recovery whip usually means she can survive this.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Yoshi :ultyoshi:
Without DI: Yoshi's jumps are too good, not even two F-airs can fully keep Yoshi of the stage.
With DI: Don't know why Yoshi would be any worse with DI.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Kirby :ultkirby:
Without DI: Kirby can survive two F-airs and on top of that, it's a lot harder to gimp Kirby compared to other characters.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Fox:ultfox:
Without DI: Fox an survive one off stage F-air but not two, however I've found that even without DI, getting the initial F-air can still be kind of difficult.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Pikachu:ultpikachu:
Without DI: Pikachu can survive a F-air off stage and may even be able to survive two. I've found difficulty even landing a second F-air or N-air on Pikachu.
With DI:
Priority List

CHARACTER: Luigi:ultluigi:
Without DI: Luigi can be gimped in 1-2 fairs, however this is without taking into account his side-b recovery+up-B combination.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Ganondorf :ultganondorf:
Without DI: Ridley can take out Ganondorf with 1-2 F-airs.
With DI:
Priority List

CHARACTER: Bowser:ultbowser:
Without DI: Bowser can survive one off-stage F-air but not two.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Dark Samus :ultdarksamus:
Without DI: Ridley can only take out DS with 1-2 F-airs
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Captain Falcon:ultfalcon:
Without DI: Ridley can take out Falcon with two 2 F-airs but not one.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Peach/Daisy:ultpeach::ultdaisy:
Without DI: Peach can survive 2-Fairs
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Simon :ultsimon:
Without DI: Thanks to whip, Simon can survive at least one F-air. I've found it difficult to even land the first F-air by the time he recovers.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Snake:ultsnake:
Without DI: Snake can survive 2-fairs although the potential to get him on the second when he tries to recover is fairly good for Ridley
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Inkling:ultinkling:
Without DI: Inkling can survive one f-air but not two, although only just and I've found difficulty landing that second fair at times.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Corrin :ultcorrin:
Without DI: Ridley can take out Corrin with 1-2 Fairs
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Megaman:ultmegaman:
Without DI: Ridley can take out Megaman in 1-2 F-airs
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Incinceroar:ultincineroar:
Without DI: Ridley can take out the fire-cat with 1-2 Fairs.
With DI:
Priority List

CHARACTER: Isabelle :ultisabelle:
Without DI: Isabel can easily survive 2 F-airs and it's hard enough even getting the first F-air off.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: King K. Rool:ultkrool:
Without DI: King K. Rool can easily survive 1-2 F-airs.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Bayonetta:ultbayonetta:
Without DI: Bayonetta can easily survive 1-2 F-airs
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Cloud:ultcloud:
Without DI: Ridley can take Cloud out in 1-2 F-airs
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Ryu/Ken:ultryu::ultken:
Without DI: Ridley can take out both in 1-2 F-airs
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Duck Hunt:ultduckhunt:
Without DI: Duck Hunt can survive 1-2 F-airs
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Shulk:ultshulk:
Without DI: Using "Jump Arts" Shulk an easily survive 1-2 F-airs. It may be possible to get him on the second F-air but I've found this to be extremely difficult to do.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Marth/Lucina:ultmarth::ultlucina:
Without DI: Ridley can take both out in 1-2 F-airs
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Robin:ultrobin:
Without DI: Robin can survive 1-2 F-airs
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Pac-Man:ultpacman:
Without DI: Pac-Man can survive 1-2 F-airs
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Palutena:ultpalutena:
Without DI: Palutena can survive 1 F-air but not 2.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Little Mac:ultlittlemac:
Without DI: Ridley can sneeze and take Little Mac out. Kind of what happens when you have one if not the worst air-game in Smash.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Falco:ultfalco:
Without DI: Falco can survive 1 F-air but not 2.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Pichu:ultpichu:
Without DI: Pichu can survive 1-2 F-airs
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Dr. Mario:ultdoc:
Without DI: Ridley can take out Mario in 1-2 F-airs, including if Dr. Mario uses both his Down-B and Up-B to help his recover.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Zelda:ultzelda:
Without DI: Zelda can survive 1-2 F-airs.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Sheik:ultsheik:
Without DI: Sheik can survive 1-2 F-airs.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Ice climbers :ulticeclimbers:
Without DI: IC can survive 1 F-air but not two. As you can probably guess, some uncertainties lie about on whether you're hitting Popo or Nana.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Jigglypuff:ultjigglypuff:
Without DI: Puff can easily survive 1-2 fairs and it's hard enough even getting them off.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Rosalina:ultrosalina:
Without DI: Rosa can survive 1-2 F-airs easily.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Greninja:ultgreninja:
Without DI: Greninja can survive 1 f-air but not 2, though he comes close.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Wii-Fit-Trainer:ultwiifittrainer:
Without DI: Wii-Fit-Trainer can survive 1-2 F-airs.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Villager:ultvillager:
Without DI: Villager can survive 1-2 F-airs easily and it's hard enough getting the second f-air off.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Wolf:ultwolf:
Without DI: Ridley can take out Wolf in 1-2 F-airs but that was only when Wolf used his Up-B.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Toon Link:ulttoonlink:
Without DI: Toon Link can survive 1-2 F-airs.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: R.O.B:ultrob:
Without DI: Rob can easily survive 1-2 F-airs.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Lucario:ultlucario:
Without DI: Lucario can survive 1 F-air but not 2, Aura obviously not taken into effect here.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Olimar:ultolimar:
Without DI: Olimar can survive 1-2 F-airs
Priority List:

CHARACTER: King Dedede:ultkingdedede:
Without DI: Dedede can survive 1-fair but not 2.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Sonic:ultsonic:
Without DI: Sonic can survive 1 F-air but not 2,
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Lucas:ultlucas:
Without DI: Lucas can easily survive 1-2 F-airs.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Diddy Kong:ultdiddy:
Without DI: Ridley can take out Diddy in 1-2 F-airs though this was only through Diddy not building up his Up-B.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Squirtle:squirtle:
Without DI: Ridley can take out Squirtle in 1-2 F-airs.
With DI:
Prioritiy List:

CHARACTER Ivysaur (Inconclusive for now, PK Trainer always switches Ivysaur out before I can get any data done)

CHARACTER: Charizard:4charizard:
Without DI: Charizard can survive 1-fair but not 2.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Ike:ultike:
Without DI: Ridley can take Ike out with 1-2 F-airs though this is without incorporating potential side-B into his recovery.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Wario:ultwario:
Without DI: Wario can survive 1-2 F-airs.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Zero Suit Samus:ultzss:
Without DI: Samus can survive 1 F-air but not 2.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Pit/Dark Pit:ultpit::ultdarkpit:
Without DI: Pit/Dark Pit can easily survive 1-2 F-airs.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Mr. Game and Watch:ultgnw:
Without DI: Game and Watch can survive 1 F-air but not 2.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Chrom:ultchrom:
Without DI: Ridley can take out Chrom in 1-2 F-airs.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Roy:ultroy:
Without DI: Ridley can take out Roy in 1-2 F-airs.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Mewtwo:ultmewtwo:
Without DI: Mewtwo can easily survive 1-2 F-airs.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Meta Knight:ultmetaknight:
Without DI: MK can easily survive 1-2 F-airs and I've found it darn near impossible to even get the first F-air off, much less the second.
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Young Link:ultyounglink:
Without DI: Link can survive 1 F-air but not 2.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Bowser Jr+Koopalings:ultbowserjr:
Without DI: Bowser Jr can survive 1 F-air but not 2.
With DI:
Priority List:

CHARACTER: Ridley:ultridley:
Without DI: Ridley can survive 1 of his own F-airs but would find difficulty surviving 2, hard to get a read with his recovery at times.
With DI:
Priority List:

BREAK TIME

We got more characters to do and of course I'd love to get more information on things like DI and Priority but for right now an educated guess can be made for the select characters. Take note that this is based on recovery and obviously characters with low recovery like Ganondorf will obviously be easier to gimp than people like Kirby. However once a priority list is made, some characters may move around.

Characters Ridley will find easier to gimp if he gets them off stage:
:ultganondorf::ultluigi::ultmario::ultsamus::ultlink::ultdarksamus::ultcorrin::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultincineroar::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultlittlemac::ultdoc::ultike: :squirtle::ultroy::ultchrom:

Characters Ridley will find moderately easy/hard to gimp:
:ultbowser::ultdk::ultfox::ultfalcon::ultsnake::ultpalutena::ultfalco::ulticeclimbers::ultwolf::ultgreninja::ultlucario::4charizard::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultlucario::ultzss:
:ultgnw::ultyounglink::ultbowserjr::ultridley:

Characters Ridley will find difficult to gimp:
:ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultyoshi::ultpeach::ultsimon::ultinkling::ultduckhunt::ultbayonetta::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultjigglypuff::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultpichu::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer: :ultrosalina::ultlucas::ultolimar::ultwario::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo:

---
---

I'd love to make Ridley a great character for Smash Ultimate but I'll admit my knowledge is still lacking and I also have a lack of direct references to help me. Doing stuff in Training Mode can only help you so much. Please speak up on what you think needs to be added, changed, addressed, etc. How would other moves affect Ridley's chances or how would Ridley's chances be depending on where opponent is off the stage?

After the comments and critiques come in, I'll edit the page, changing up anything with the characters and adding new ones once they come. As I said, I'm not going to act like I'm some expert here but I am eager to test him out.

Last edited:

Gleam

Smash Ace
Update!

I've done testing for all the current characters and have them listed. I tried to make a decent guide on the characters Ridley would have the best chances of gimping and edge guarding. the ones he'd have a moderate time with and those he'd have a more difficult time with. Again, leave any comments on what needs to be worked on, fixed or added.

At this point, I'll need someone or a group of people to do the same tests involving Direction Influence as well as a Priority List of attacks Ridley will need to watch out for if he tries to go off stage after an opponent.

Thanks for any support, let's make Ridley awesome people.

Top Bottom