• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley Notes On Neutral/Playstyle

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Assuming he's essentially complete and there are real reasonings behind his moves, Ridley seems to heavily promote edge/ledgeguarding, and maybe a defensive neutral. (or at least is very capable of it)

Command Grab which carries people off ledge
Crazy Strong Down Special that's only consistently spaceable on standard get-ups
Fireball/breath to limit ledge options severely. (Possibly trying to force aforementioned standard get-up? Or even bait get-up attack since he takes extra damage for getting hit out of it)

Fireball + Side B seem to frametrap well together at a distance. Possibly to force approaches, or just doubling down on his corner pressure.

His aerials are weak and linear, in the demos I've watched they tend to miss more than they hit. And I never see them kill. Possibly intended more as a conditioning kit for Side B and just edgeguarding with his multiple jumps? Though it's hard to say how good/polished his edgeguarding is at this point.

He definitely doesn't seem to have many on-stage combos, certainly no kill confirms outside downspecial. (Except maybe with upspecial? Ehhh) But he does seem to have a lot of potential. Even if they nerfed downspecial hard (as they likely will) just the fact you can die at like 50% to a down B + fsmash by the ledge if you EVER standard get-up will probably keep this character from being anything lower than mid tier, assuming there aren't some crazy consistent combos enabled due to his size. (Which is likely)

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Assuming he's essentially complete and there are real reasonings behind his moves, Ridley seems to heavily promote edge/ledgeguarding, and maybe a defensive neutral. (or at least is very capable of it)

Command Grab which carries people off ledge
Crazy Strong Down Special that's only consistently spaceable on standard get-ups
Fireball/breath to limit ledge options severely. (Possibly trying to force aforementioned standard get-up? Or even bait get-up attack since he takes extra damage for getting hit out of it)

Fireball + Side B seem to frametrap well together at a distance. Possibly to force approaches, or just doubling down on his corner pressure.

His aerials are weak and linear, in the demos I've watched they tend to miss more than they hit. And I never see them kill. Possibly intended more as a conditioning kit for Side B and just edgeguarding with his multiple jumps? Though it's hard to say how good/polished his edgeguarding is at this point.

He definitely doesn't seem to have many on-stage combos, certainly no kill confirms outside downspecial. (Except maybe with upspecial? Ehhh) But he does seem to have a lot of potential. Even if they nerfed downspecial hard (as they likely will) just the fact you can die at like 50% to a down B + fsmash by the ledge if you EVER standard get-up will probably keep this character from being anything lower than mid tier, assuming there aren't some crazy consistent combos enabled due to his size. (Which is likely)
From what i've seen down-B doesn't confirm into his stronger moves but i might be wrong, it does force a tech chase which is nice though.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
From what i've seen down-B doesn't confirm into his stronger moves but i might be wrong, it does force a tech chase which is nice though.
In the demo, you can't roll through Ridley. So from the standard get-up position, it's likely as good as a confirm. I could be wrong(depends on how get-up attack deals with f-smash, but Ridley seems to buck back for it), but even if it's only as potent as a ganon choke on non-guaranteed targets it still seems pretty potent.

Last edited:
Really good observations. Kinda like pre-Ultimate Link, who had all those projectiles to keep people shielding at mid range so he could nab them with his tether grab. Down B seems like it might have a bit too much startup to catch people on normal getup from the ledge, but that's just a feeling I get. His aerials do seem a LITTLE lackluster? But his NAir and BAir look solid. I wouldn't be surprised if he could do some Smash 4 DK/Brawl Dedede silliness with taking people to the blastzone on the BAirplane. NAir meanwhile looks fast and has decent range. Might see use in gimping like Cloud NAir?

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Really good observations. Kinda like pre-Ultimate Link, who had all those projectiles to keep people shielding at mid range so he could nab them with his tether grab. Down B seems like it might have a bit too much startup to catch people on normal getup from the ledge, but that's just a feeling I get. His aerials do seem a LITTLE lackluster? But his NAir and BAir look solid. I wouldn't be surprised if he could do some Smash 4 DK/Brawl Dedede silliness with taking people to the blastzone on the BAirplane. NAir meanwhile looks fast and has decent range. Might see use in gimping like Cloud NAir?
If Uair is intangible like Zard's wing moves it'll be good, Fair looks weird but the damage is super good, Dair looks kinda ass ngl lol.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
If Uair is intangible like Zard's wing moves it'll be good, Fair looks weird but the damage is super good, Dair looks kinda *** ngl lol.
Dair is likely to just largely work with side, and upspecial to give him more landing options. About as good as ZSS Dair.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
I think his aerials are all really good. Nair is absolutely fantastic and covers everything. fair can gimp and get a hard kill off stage, plus instant air fairs are great a catching opponents trying to short hop you (i find this to be most effective when you are mixing it up with dash cancel tilts, as they will start trying to short hop the dtilt, and get blown up by your premeditated short hop fair). The weakest aerial he had is dair, and even that is strong enough, and can hit opponents through the stage at the edge. Also, plasma breath is super fun.

Top Bottom