• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Ridley Moveset Data (Preliminary) - UPDATED with Dashing Grab Side B and Weak Point Info

Hi all. Info is taken from this video.

Please keep in mind that this is information from far before the game's official release! It may not be accurate come December 7!

This is one-on-one damage. It has been stated officially that attacks deal more damage in one-on-one battles than they do in battles with more fighters. Currently, it appears that multiplier is around ×1.2 higher than in battles with 3+ fighters (info taken from here). It is important to note though that the attack used to demonstrate is a fully-charged smash attack, and it is unknown whether it was fresh or staled.

All attacks were recorded when connecting fresh, except for the mid-early hit of his NAir and the jump-cancelled throw of his Side B, which were staled once.

Special Mechanic: Weak Point!
If Ridley is hit in his mouth while charging his Fireballs, he takes around ×8.8 to ×9 more damage! Ouch!

Jumpsquat: 3F

Attack | Possible input | Damage | Hits on | Landing lag/FAF
Fireball | Neutral B | 5.9% near / 3.9% far / 3.6% farther
Dashing grab (grab) | Side B | - | F24 earliest, grounded
Dashing grab (slam) | Side B | 5.1% grounded | F10 from grab, grounded
Dashing grab (drag) | Side B | 2.5% grounded | F13 from slam, grounded, then every 4F
Dashing grab (edge-forced throw) | Side B | 8.8% grounded | F6 from end of drag, grounded | F64, grounded
Dashing grab (jump-cancelled throw) | Side B | 7.6% grounded
Rising aerial dash | Up B | 18.9% close, early
Savage tail stab | Down B | 42% stabbing in > 10.5% yanking out | F30 stab > F79 yank | 28F+ landing lag miss / F134 ground hit
Claw swipe | Jab 1 | 2.1% close
Tail jab | FTilt | 12% tip
Overhead aerial tail spin | NAir | 10.7% early / 9.5% mid-early / 7.1% mid-late / 3.5% late | F8 |
Aerial tail stab | FAir | 2.7% first hit, sour / 3.1% first hit, sweet / 5.7% final hit (?), sweet | | 16F
Backward kick | BAir | | | 17F
Overhead aerial wing jab | UAir | 12.6% close
Flame blast | FSmash | 19.6% low charge, 22.4% mid charge, 27.1% high charge
Exploding stomp | DSmash | 16.8% explosion | F24
Overhead kick | USmash | 17.8% foot / 15.9% body | F12 | F49
Dashing bite | Dash attack | 12.6% close
Ledge getup | Ledge getup | 9.4% | F21 |
Grab | Grab | - | F8
Pummel | Pummel | 1.7%
FThrow | FThrow | 9%
BThrow | BThrow | 11.5%
DThrow | DThrow | 7.3% | F25 | F43
Plasma Breath | Final Smash | 15.8% initial tackle > 45% laser blast

Fireball (neutral B?): 3.6% / 3.9% / 5.9% (5.94%?) [really far / far / near, some amount of charge?]
Overhead aerial tail spin (NAir?): 3.5% / 7.1% / 9.5%* / 10.7% [tip, late hit / mid-late hit / mid-early hit (staled once) / early hit]
Stomping explosion (DSmash?): 16.8% [explosion, unclear if charged]
Dashing bite (Dash Attack?): 12.6% [close]
Aerial tail stab (FAir?): 2.7%* / 3.1%* / 5.7% [first hit, slightly above base of tail / first hit, tip / final hit?, tip]
Savage tail stab (you know the one!!): 42% | 10.5% [stabbing in | yanking out]
Flame blast (FSmash?): 19.6%, 22.4%, 27.1% [a little charge, some more charge, a lot of charge (possibly max?)]
Overhead kick (USmash?): 17.8% / 15.9% [foot / close to body, unclear if charged]
Ledge getup: 9.4%
Rising aerial dash (UpB?): 18.9% (close to body, early hit)
Final smash: 15.8% | 45% [initial tackle | total laser blast hits]
Dashing grab (SideB?): 3.9% / 4.2% | 1.9% / 2.1% | 6.8% / 7.4% [landing crash | dragging | throw; damage dependent on height?]
Jab 1?: 2.1% [close]
Overhead aerial folded wing jab (UAir?): 12.6% [close]
*values differed by 0.1% between the first and second time these moves connect, fresh. This leads me to believe that the damage is covered by more than one decimal place, but the game randomly either rounds it up or down for the damage display

Will continue updating.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Someone translate it for the uncultured. Does that mean good things for Bigley?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's hard to say as the numbers are the easiest things that can be changed during development.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Any idea what percentage lets his tail-spike straight-up murder someone?

OMG REILA?! SAKURAI WASNT KIDDING WHEN HE SAID EVERYONE IS HERE

I think his frame data is looking solid. His FAir, NAir, DSmash, and USmash are certainly yummy. I would not be surprised if he had either damage or frame data adjustments though.

Any idea what percentage lets his tail-spike straight-up murder someone?

Great taste in GS beta mons. Anyway, as Cutie Gwen said, I suspect that was just a stamina match done for cinematics. Although... Don't stamina matches just leave a character's corpse once they hit 0 HP? Maybe that got changed in smash 4 but I don't know off the top of my head. I don't believe Sakurai is enough of a madman to add a delete button to a playable character lol

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
That's definitely Stamina mode. Or maybe a modified version of it. Could also just be done just for the trailer. But a sweetspot with crumple sounds devastating.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I hope someone will take the time at E3 to go through his moveset at least somewhat thoroghly.

oh good. Someone smarter than me made his thread.

Interested in seeing the meta for Ridley develop. . .

. . .assuming this doesnt get him banned.
:061:
Tbh I may be wrong but it feels like a straight-out better Falcon Punch lmao. Hits on F30, deals a ****load of damage, and crumples like Focus Attack does for even MORE damage. The only drawback is the small hitbox lol. Wouldn't be surprised if they either made it hit later or increased endlag.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Despite having little knowledge when it comes to the more technical parts of Smash, this is a very interesting thread. At least for now Ridley seems to be a not terrible fighter. Curious to see what changes will be made to his down special.

Phazon ID

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know if his Neutral (B) is chargeable for use later on? Or is it only charge to use on the spot like greninjas water shuruiken?
Would be cool if ridley had his own charge save move like DK & Samus charge shot

Phazon ID

Smash Rookie
It can't be stored at all, once you start charging it up it has to fire (unless they interrupt you).
Can his side (B) be used to grab people in the air? If you are airbourne too
Also does side B put you into free fall when used in the air?

Can his side (B) be used to grab people in the air? If you are airbourne too
Also does side B put you into free fall when used in the air?
It can grab airborne targets. It doesn't put you into special fall if you miss in the air.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It can grab airborne targets. It doesn't put you into special fall if you miss in the air.
This will simultaneously be amazing and obnoxious at the same time, depending on which side you are on.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Am I right in thinking you can use an aerial Side-B as a suicide grab? That's pretty intimidating if your a stock ahead. Especially since you don't go into free-fall on a miss.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Just some notes on some moves from watching the Treehouse stream VOD again:

Special moves:
-Ridley’s side-B is a command grab. You can jump and do other things while grabbing someone apparently.
-You can act out of side-B if used in the air.
-Neutral B can be charged. Uncharged is a single shot. Charged sends five fireballs that follow in succession one after another..
-Ridley takes extra damage when hit in the mouth while charging Neutral B, just like his weak spot in the games.
-Up B can be used in four directions, as well as diagonally down forward and diagonally up-back? Certain on the former, not so certain on the latter, and not clear if you can do all diagonals.
-Down B does tons of damage when sweetspotted, at least 50% fresh when, but weak when not hitting sweetspot, about ~5% or so.
-Sweetspot Down B crumples. The move also has a lot of start-up frames, of course.
-Down B can be used in the air.

-Has 3 jumps

-Down Smash is super disjointed
-Nair is quick and big.
-Dash attack is a quick bite attack with decent cooldown

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman

Special moves:
-Up B can be used in four directions, as well as diagonally down forward and diagonally up-back? Certain on the former, not so certain on the latter, and not clear if you can do all diagonals.

There are only four directions, but they are not the cardinal directions

Up goes directly up
Forward goes at about a 45 degree angle downward
Down goes down and slightly forward
Back goes backwards and slightly upward

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
There are only four directions, but they are not the cardinal directions

Up goes directly up
Forward goes at about a 45 degree angle downward
Down goes down and slightly forward
Back goes backwards and slightly upward
Ah okay, thanks, my apologies. I was a bit confused on that. Quite a weird move.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Ah okay, thanks, my apologies. I was a bit confused on that. Quite a weird move.
Yeah, it is. It took me a fair while to figure it out. It wasn't until I noticed that people always went in the same directions.

It does make his recovery more predictable, but I'm not sure how easy it is to hit him out of it. It's probably to tone down his recovery options, since he has multipale jumps, some weight (though I'm not sure how much), good speed and good aerials, and I think a suicide kill side-b.

Phazon ID

Smash Rookie
Am I right in thinking you can use an aerial Side-B as a suicide grab? That's pretty intimidating if your a stock ahead. Especially since you don't go into free-fall on a miss.
Has horrible end lag by the looks if it though

Special moves:
-Ridley’s side-B is a command grab. You can jump and do other things while grabbing someone apparently.
-You can act out of side-B if used in the air.
-Neutral B can be charged. Uncharged is a single shot. Charged sends five fireballs that follow in succession one after another..
-Ridley takes extra damage when hit in the mouth while charging Neutral B, just like his weak spot in the games.
-Down B does tons of damage when sweetspotted, at least 50% fresh when, but weak when not hitting sweetspot, about ~5% or so.
-Sweetspot Down B crumples. The move also has a lot of start-up frames, of course.
-Down B can be used in the air.

-Has 3 jumps

-Down Smash is super disjointed
-Nair is quick and big.
-Dash attack is a quick bite attack with decent cooldown
How good is his down air and tilts though? Any news on shooting fireballs in the air a good idea like in super metroid and zero mission?

stRIP

Smash Ace
Anyone having an idea what his downB actually does while in the air?
The dair seems to be the move similar to Greninjas, I would really like to know what his tailspike does in the air.

Phazon ID

Smash Rookie
Anyone having an idea what his downB actually does while in the air?
The dair seems to be the move similar to Greninjas, I would really like to know what his tailspike does in the air.
I believe he just drops down while doing the spike i saw a guy do it in a vid.

Phazon ID

Smash Rookie
His Nair seem to have very little landing lag to me... when Plup does it against MkLeo Bayonetta.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I don't believe Lloid Rocket has a hitbox till it starts moving so Ridley may have just gotten out of the way before the hitbox became active.

Also, do we know what causes Ridley to stand upright? Is it part of his idle animation or a taunt? Could be the former since I know in Brawl, Wolf's idle animation greatly changed his height going from standing upright to his lower, bent over stance.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Top Bottom