• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley Match up Chart

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Ridley MU's

My personal Ridley Match up chart. Feel free to leave feedback!
Hmmm, I'm not super experienced and mostly just play either online or with a couple friend groups, but in general, I usually don't have much trouble against:

Chrom, Roy, Bowser, Shulk, Joker, Peach, Lucina, Hero, and think they're too low on your list.

On the contraire, I feel I have a harder time against:

Lucas, Isabelle, Villager, Little Mac (he's not +2), Zelda, Wii Fit.

Xx2RAGE2xX

Smash Rookie
NNID
SW032285626527
Oh I guess I should've mentioned that there's no specific order within the tiers. But I can explain my opinions on my choices.

Lucas can't get much out of PK fire as much as Ness can, so if you can avoid things like that or grabs, there's not much to worry about. Ridley's speed can be overwhelming at times especially when capitalizing on mistakes.

Ridley's unpredictable speed can also catch characters like Zelda, Wii Fit, Villager, and Isabelle, like the same way he catches Lucas off guard. All you need to do is adapt to the way the projectiles are used against you, it shouldn't be bad. And Ridley in advantage is a monster, he probably has the best advantage of all big boys.

Little Mac may be faster and stronger, but he can't touch you. Just be patient, space, and bait. Off stage is also a nightmare for Mac.

I also feel that Chrom and Roy do have a slight advantage, but it is doable. Ridley can exploit Chroms recovery really easily with tools like f Tilt and any aerial between his up b because there's no hit box on Chroms way up. Then, Ridley can just plain outrange Roy with good % output and he is easier to ledge guard with no risk.

I would like to hear your opinion on your matchups!

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I feel like Hero being a losing match up for Ridley is incorrect. While it may be true Hero can throw out big hitboxes with his projectiles at times, Ridley should have little to no issue waiting out the MP burn only to then absolutely roll on Hero. Hero is, unironically, a character I feel has SO very few good match ups on his own merits. Granted he could have no losing match ups or all losing match ups...depending on luck of the spell draw and their own patience. Ridley, though, should be more than speedy enough to never relent pressure long enough for Hero to get any real momentum.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
As for Banjo, he can still be grabbed by Ridley's side B right after the starting animation of his. Wonderwing gets badly punished by skewer too if you correctly anticipate it. Banjo's side B, while powerful, is unsafe on shield as well, so use to your advantage.

Xx2RAGE2xX

Smash Rookie
NNID
SW032285626527
I feel like Hero being a losing match up for Ridley is incorrect. While it may be true Hero can throw out big hitboxes with his projectiles at times, Ridley should have little to no issue waiting out the MP burn only to then absolutely roll on Hero. Hero is, unironically, a character I feel has SO very few good match ups on his own merits. Granted he could have no losing match ups or all losing match ups...depending on luck of the spell draw and their own patience. Ridley, though, should be more than speedy enough to never relent pressure long enough for Hero to get any real momentum.
I will actually agree with you lol! The past month I've really changed my opinion on Hero, I found it very easy to contest Hero in air also considering Ridley has faster and more combo heavy aerials.

Xx2RAGE2xX

Smash Rookie
NNID
SW032285626527
As for Banjo, he can still be grabbed by Ridley's side B right after the starting animation of his. Wonderwing gets badly punished by skewer too if you correctly anticipate it. Banjo's side B, while powerful, is unsafe on shield as well, so use to your advantage.
I agree. I feel Ridley has the Banjo MU in the bag!

ChrisMDB

Smash Rookie
A bit late, but just want to mention:

Pit/Dark Pit feel unwinnable for me, their movesets invalidate Ridley's greatest asset in his offstage game while outspacing all of his disjoints.

Chrom is also an easy +2 with Richter and Simon being even at worst, all three on account of their trash recoveries. Play patient and you will win every time.

Last edited:

Wayneright

Smash Rookie
Ridley generally isn't going to win against Jigglypuff, as their aerial abilities will trump your nair and their disjoint comes out much faster. You also a very easy target for Rest.

Similarly Ridley is combo food, which means he's going to die quickly and easily to Luigi. There's no chance of him getting past Zelda's wall of garbage.

Other than Isabelle, the rest are largely losing match-ups. He just isn't a well-designed character.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Jigglypuff’s aerial combo that ends with Rest can be inconsistent on Ridley due to DI.

Zelda’s annoying, but there are definitely worse matchups.

The latest chart I remember seeing posted which is pretty decent imo. Well designed character or not, he’s fun. Also the combo food thing is tired. Always funny seeing a commentator say that about him and then they scream in surprise when he lands a successful skewer or something and takes a stock.

ChrisMDB

Smash Rookie
A universe where you can 4 frame neutral get up from ledge, or read the ledge roll, or the getup attack, etc. You can't consistently combo or confirm into it, but your opponent can give you free skewers if you know the timing/have them conditioned.

Regardless, all heavy weights are combo food but that hardly makes them bad. See Bowser, Samus, Ike, etc. for example.

Wayneright

Smash Rookie
You're right, heavyweights aren't bad solely because they can be comboed easily. They are also heavy weights. Ridley is not. Banjo survives longer than Ridley does despite being less than half his size.

Ridley's weaknesses stem from the simple fact that he is not particularly heavy (Joker for example will have no issues killing him without Arsene, whereas he does for actual heavyweights), his body is enormous, and his frame data is very poor. His zoning tools aren't as versatile as Samus, or any "real" zoner. If he gets in, he isn't going to be as oppressive as Bowser or Donkey Kong because Ridley's one reliable combo is "nair repeatedly". His options against most matchups consist of spamming neutral air and praying for tilts to land. You can throw out smash attacks, but this is dangerous. Ridley's most reliable kill option is... Donkey Kong's back-air from Melee.

Huge hurtbox + slow moves + few options in most matchups = half a character who isn't going to win often.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Okay, coming from a top Ridley player, this MU chart is likely much more accurate than the last recent one I saw and posted. Wasn't expecting to post here again this soon but there ya go.

Nair spam being his only reliable combo couldn't be further from the truth. His down throw/down tilt combo game with followups is versatile, being one of the things that makes his advantage state in fact very oppressive. The tilts land fine with players that know their spacing, especially forward and down-tilt. The smash attacks are mostly for punishing which any smart player will use to their advantage, though up smash is fairly fast for what it is. Up-air is about as reliable a kill option as back-air tbh, and then of course downward wing blitz as the top tried and true edgeguard kill option... His advantage game is great, while his disadvantage is the opposite, evening it out for him as a solid mid tier which is the general consensus at this point.

ChrisMDB

Smash Rookie
You're right, heavyweights aren't bad solely because they can be comboed easily. They are also heavy weights. Ridley is not. Banjo survives longer than Ridley does despite being less than half his size.

Ridley's weaknesses stem from the simple fact that he is not particularly heavy (Joker for example will have no issues killing him without Arsene, whereas he does for actual heavyweights), his body is enormous, and his frame data is very poor. His zoning tools aren't as versatile as Samus, or any "real" zoner. If he gets in, he isn't going to be as oppressive as Bowser or Donkey Kong because Ridley's one reliable combo is "nair repeatedly". His options against most matchups consist of spamming neutral air and praying for tilts to land. You can throw out smash attacks, but this is dangerous. Ridley's most reliable kill option is... Donkey Kong's back-air from Melee.

Huge hurtbox + slow moves + few options in most matchups = half a character who isn't going to win often.
Please stop continuing to spread misinformation about Ridley's weight, as he is a heavy weight. He has the exact same weight units as Ike (another heavy), and is just a couple shy of Samus/Dark Samus. While not a super heavy like Bowser, K. Rool, Gannon, etc., the fact remains that he is a heavy weight.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Just checked Ultimate's weight chart, and yeah, there is a heavy and super heavy category. Learn to differentiate between the two I guess. While Ridley's not quite as heavy as he could or ought to be, he's not a balloon either. Some like Mewtwo still suffer worse in this category than he.

Top Bottom