• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley looks disgusting

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
Just look at him, he's all boney, there's gaps in his outer hard skin where you can see his actual goddamn muscle fibers, there are crevices and deformities all over his body, and you can even see what looks like birth marks on his head.

He actually looks like a terrifying space dragon, good job whoever made his detailed render, it's perfect.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
After being in so many fights with Samus, I wouldn’t expect him to look any different. It fits his vicious, terrifying nature if you ask me.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I love it, looks so weathered through all the fights he's been through, it's like his skin is about to fall off his body. LOVE his design.

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
I love it, his design is perfect. It takes elements from all the previous Ridley designs and puts them together to create the definitive Ridley design in 3D.

Which is interesting, because up until now, I dont think we had a great Ridley design in 3D that really got across all aspects of the character. I think the best representation of Ridley up until now were his Zero Mission design and his ingame Super Metroid design. They got across how physically imposing he was, but also how intelligent and wicked he is. We never had that in 3D up until now.

We had Meta Ridley which did convey these things, but Meta Ridley and normal Ridley are quite different so it doesnt really count. His Melee design was decent, but we never got a good look at it and his Trophy was just a mess.

Brawls design was great for what it was, but it really only worked at the absolutely monstrous scale that Ridley had in the story mode and really only in that limited scenario. The design needed the scale and the grandness of the boss fight in order to work, at a smaller scale the design just looks really wimpy. Also, I feel like this design got the "monster" part of Ridley across well, but his intelligence, less so.

I dont hate his Other M design like many others do, but I do have to say that it looked horrible in the game itself. However, I felt like that in Smash 4 the design was executed far better and up until now I actually considered it to be the design that got across the character the best in 3D, which is sad because of how different it is to the Ridley we know and love.

Ridley in Samus Returns was great, but too low res and again, it was pretty different to what we had known.

Im so glad that Sakurai looked at the character and created a new 3D design that really encapsulates everything that makes Ridley who he is, I think this design is the best 3D Ridley we have ever had. It does for Ridley in 3D what his Zero Mission design did for him in 2D.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Metroid is slightly inspired on the Alien franchise. The bizarre, horrific look fits Ridley perfectly, considering he is an enemy from a series with some horror undertones. You wouldn't expect Samus' nemesis to look like a cute kitten, after all.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
They’re definitely leaning heavily into the Xenomorph inspiration with this design, what with the pronounced head and all.

He also bears quite a resemblance to Shin Godzilla.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
He looks hideous, gangly and fragile beyond belief. I do not get the appeal of that in a fighter and especially not one in Smash, which is a rather more cartoony, colourful and happy go lucky series, at least visually.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
He looks hideous, gangly and fragile beyond belief. I do not get the appeal of that in a fighter and especially not one in Smash, which is a rather more cartoony, colourful and happy go lucky series, at least visually.
Sorry. The Ridley fanbase thanks you for your brave sacrifice of having to look at a character you don’t like. You don’t have to play as him at any rate.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I always had faith that Sakurai would do Ridley right. Say what you will about Smash, but their character designs are always gorgeous and full of personality.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
The way his model stretches out for attack animations makes him seem true to size. I'll admit that I didn't immediately gush when I saw his his standing stance, I was actually concerned. But oh my gawwwwwwwwd his aerials, his drag-you-across-the-stage grab... he just looks so goooood...

I definitely dig Ridley's look. It has a bunch of cool signature design features found through the Metroid franchise's aesthetic. I do wish they'd done a bit more to get his intelligence across (he's literally a military officer) in his animations but he's still amazing nevertheless.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Thankfully for those who don't care for his almost undead looking appearance, you can make him half cybernetic with his skin bits looking a bit more intact with Meta Ridley.

They really knocked it out of the park with making, hands down, the most terrifying looking character in the Smash roster, and a right proper villain (Ganondorf was the only one, and Bowser and Jr's villain cards are dubious at best).

Edit: Ah, I almost forgot.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It makes him unnerving and scary, which is fitting of his character, who is a vicious psychopath that has survived countless battles and brushes with death. It makes him stand out from the rest of the roster, which creates a healthy variety (especially with almost 70 characters). He's different and refreshing while also being true to his character and series.

Would you rather the character not be in the game? Maybe another pale thin and pretty JRPG hero with a sword instead?

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
He's supposed to contrast with much of the cast, he's a darker villain archetype and very clearly leans into the horror genre.
His Down-B sweetspot is the equivalent to a jumpscare in a competitive match pretty much

Reila

God forbid having variety in a video game, eh? If we can have Miss Sexuality aka Bayonetta (and she is awesome), freaking Solid Snake (have you seen the tone of his games? Not colorful and cheerful at all), so why can't we have a decaying space dragon? Don't be self centered. The roster is FILLED with cute and colorful stuff. I love colorful stuff too, hence my likeness for the Inkling. But variety is good (to some extent).
I definitely dig Ridley's look. It has a bunch of cool signature design features found through the Metroid franchise's aesthetic. I do wish they'd done a bit more to get his intelligence across (he's literally a military officer) in his animations but he's still amazing nevertheless.
To be fair they don't show much of his intelligence even in the Metroid series. Maybe they are just keeping that faithful in Smash. But maaaaybe they could have made his final smash into something that show his status as the commander or whatever he is (They never seem to decide wht he is compared to Mother Brain).

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I love Ridley, but would've preferred a different design, but really I'm just happy he's there. Plus the Proteus alt looks great

Reila

The way his model stretches out for attack animations makes him seem true to size. I'll admit that I didn't immediately gush when I saw his his standing stance, I was actually concerned. But oh my gawwwwwwwwd his aerials, his drag-you-across-the-stage grab... he just looks so goooood...
As someone who played a lot of grapplers growing up (think Clark Kent, Blue Mary in King of Fighters or Alex and Hugo in Street Fighter) seeing that grab attack was just... Yes, yes, give it to mama. Of course in a game like Smash he couldn't be an obnoxious full blown grappler (I know as a grappler player how tilting they can be), but I am glad for that move alone.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
If Sakurai and team are good at one thing it's capturing the essence of the character in their designs and abilities. Everything about Ridley from the way he looks and the vicious fighting style just kind of screams 'psychopath' which is Ridley in purity. Some people forget that Ridley is not an animal but he's a sentient being that takes delight in causing death and destruction wherever he goes of his own choice. He's an unremorseful, violent, sadist, and bloodthirsty psychopath. I don't think they could of done much of a better job showing what Ridley is. Even his introduction trailer was darker then our usual Smash Trailers and fit the perfectly.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If Sakurai and team are good at one thing it's capturing the essence of the character in their designs and abilities. Everything about Ridley from the way he looks and the vicious fighting style just kind of screams 'psychopath' which is Ridley in purity. Some people forget that Ridley is not an animal but he's a sentient being that takes delight in causing death and destruction wherever he goes of his own choice. He's an unremorseful, violent, sadist, and bloodthirsty psychopath. I don't think they could of done much of a better job showing what Ridley is. Even his introduction trailer was darker then our usual Smash Trailers and fit the perfectly.
Can we please not act like people just don't understand what Ridley should be? He could've turned out a lot of ways, this is just the one they chose.

Anyway I don't think anyone is saying Ridley was poorly done. Like me, for example, loved the trailer and some of his attacks, but think the model isn't great. I feel like it over-exaggerates the things you mentioned. It's not bad, just not my ideal Ridley look. Everything else is great imo, but seriously it shouldn't be the craziest thing saying the model isn't perfect.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
God forbid having variety in a video game, eh? If we can have Miss Sexuality aka Bayonetta (and she is awesome), freaking Solid Snake (have you seen the tone of his games? Not colorful and cheerful at all), so why can't we have a decaying space dragon? Don't be self centered. The roster is FILLED with cute and colorful stuff. I love colorful stuff too, hence my likeness for the Inkling. But variety is good (to some extent).
To an extent, yes. To Snake's extent? No. I was already unhappy with him before they added Ridley.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think I would have liked him to be a little more vivid purple than the desaturated one. Everyone is so colorful in this game and Ridley is rather grey. But other than that he's good.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
Different strokes for different folks, some people like the overly disgusting design for smash 5, some don't. Thankfully we'll be getting Meta Ridley which is less so.

Reila

To an extent, yes. To Snake's extent? No. I was already unhappy with him before they added Ridley.
Everyone has their preferences, but you are just being really self centered coming to Ridley forum to complain about his inclusion. Like anyone, there are characters I don't want in Smash (such as anything from Xenoblade 2, for example), but I wouldn't visit those threads to spit on people who want them.

Smash isn't only about what you like. Try to put yourself in other people's positions. Imagine if everything cute and colorful was removed from the game because someone disliked it. Wouldn't be much fun.

Well, I am probably wasting my time typing this, but whatever.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Can we please not act like people just don't understand what Ridley should be? He could've turned out a lot of ways, this is just the one they chose.

Anyway I don't think anyone is saying Ridley was poorly done. Like me, for example, loved the trailer and some of his attacks, but think the model isn't great. I feel like it over-exaggerates the things you mentioned. It's not bad, just not my ideal Ridley look. Everything else is great imo, but seriously it shouldn't be the craziest thing saying the model isn't perfect.
I wasn't accusing anyone here of not knowing who he was nor was I complaining about other people views on the matter. I was mostly stating my view on the matter.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Smash isn't only about what you like. Try to put yourself in other people's positions. Imagine if everything cute and colorful was removed from the game because someone disliked it. Wouldn't be much fun.
Then that would result in a consistent style that made more sense than keeping all those characters and then adding Snake or this incarnation of Ridley.

I have no issue with Ridley as a character and nor do I consider "too big" a legitimate reason for omission unless the character's whole fighting style is based on their difference of scale. My two issues with Ridley's inclusion come from the design that they have chosen not fitting the universe (Melee did him far more apropriately) and the fact that he is massively gangly making his existence as a figurine that can turn into a fighter (Smash Bros' canon explanation) quite hard to believe.

This thread in particular is about discussion of his appearance and discussing his appearance is what I am doing. I may be reacting in a somewhat more negative manner than most but, as somebody who didn't want to see Ridley included, it annoys me that they have done absolutely nothing to take my arguments as to why his design wouldn't fit in Smash into acount and put in a version that, if anything, feel less at home in universe than I had expected.

I feel as though I argued logically against the character and, rather than debunking my concerns about him, Nintendo proved every single one of them valid and ignored them anyway.

I am sorry if this comes off as self centred or looking for a fight or whatever to any Ridley fans but I am frustrated and this is the only on topic place to discuss it. Plus, is it not at least as self centred to demand that the thread be an echo chamber for your own opinions?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
His wings look way too small, he looks far too hunched, and honestly... he seems mostly inspired by that one Ridley mod that someone made.

I guess Sakurai finally did it, but his inclusion still seems rather forced. They got his character totally right for his Final Smash and even introduction trailer, but the rest doesn't exactly scream Ridley to me. He's too tiny, Charizard's wings look bigger in comparision, and in terms of total mass, I think even DK and Bowser look bigger.

Glad he's in for all you guys, and that Sakurai listens to fan service, but I would be seriously underwhelmed as a Ridley supporter if THIS was the result of him getting in.

StormC

Smash Hero
Pretty sure most Ridley supporters acknowledged that compromises had to be made to get the character in.

It's far from the biggest change he's had.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
His wings look way too small, he looks far too hunched, and honestly... he seems mostly inspired by that one Ridley mod that someone made.

I guess Sakurai finally did it, but his inclusion still seems rather forced. They got his character totally right for his Final Smash and even introduction trailer, but the rest doesn't exactly scream Ridley to me. He's too tiny, Charizard's wings look bigger in comparision, and in terms of total mass, I think even DK and Bowser look bigger.

Glad he's in for all you guys, and that Sakurai listens to fan service, but I would be seriously underwhelmed as a Ridley supporter if THIS was the result of him getting in.
Hahahahahaha.

Small wings Ridley is best Ridley! Thats how they are in all the 2D games and I actually would like if they were a little smaller in Smash but it's a nice compromise I'd say.

This design will fit in just fine and you'll never think about it again in once it releases. Just like you never question why Charizard is taller than Mewtwo or why Olimar can't fit into ROB's eye socket like he does in Pikmin 2.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ridley indeed has rather small wings in the 2D games... Okay, that's a point. But it still looks weird especially since in Brawl and Smash 4, Ridley was humongous.

Then again I don't care, he's still gonna be a easy target for my bananas. :colorful:

Reila

Brawl and Smash 4 are not canon games (to the Metroid series) so Ridley's design in those games shouldn't really have any relevance. Sure, he is smaller in Ultimate, but overall his design is faithful to the character in question.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
To me, Ridley in Ultimate is more based off of his appearances from the first couple Metroid games (namely NES Metroid and Super Metroid) where he wasn't really that big and his wings were smaller compared to the rest of his body. The Ridleys from Brawl and Smash 4 seemed to be based off of the Metroid Prime series and the Other M respectively.

Last edited:

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
At first Ridley looked too small for me but I've warmed up to it, considering that canon sizes don't apply to the rest of the roster (all hail the giant Pikachu). Also one of things that I do like about Ridley's design is that he looks so crispy and dry that he could rub his hands together and fire a Hadoken.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I think I would have liked him to be a little more vivid purple than the desaturated one. Everyone is so colorful in this game and Ridley is rather grey. But other than that he's good.
Don't worry, he has at least 3 other more vibrant purple palette swaps!

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
This design will fit in just fine and you'll never think about it again in once it releases. Just like you never question why Charizard is taller than Mewtwo or why Olimar can't fit into ROB's eye socket like he does in Pikmin 2.
The characters are the size they are because you're not playing as Charizard, Mewtwo, Olimar or ROB but rather as animated figurines thereof. Which is exactly why Ridley's gangly appearance is a problem. It makes his ability to be a genuine figurine seem highly improbable.

Seriously, why would they make a bottlecap-sized Olimar figurine?

Gimj

Smash Journeyman

That was actually perfectly said.

The characters are the size they are because you're not playing as Charizard, Mewtwo, Olimar or ROB but rather as animated figurines thereof. Which is exactly why Ridley's gangly appearance is a problem. It makes his ability to be a genuine figurine seem highly improbable.

Seriously, why would they make a bottlecap-sized Olimar figurine?
That is false. The characters in Smash are the actual characters of their respective universes. Snake's codecs and Palutena's guidance prove it wrong, for example. Brawl's storyline depended on the relationship of the various characters.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
He looks freaking awesome! I totally understand why this design may not be some Ridley fan's favorite, but I absolutely love it. It seems to me to be a combination of my personal favorite design (Super Metroid) with a new 'Smash' look. Dang I fell in love the second Is saw him bursting out of that catwalk. Breathtakingly beautiful to me, hideous and ugly to some.

Reila

That is false. The characters in Smash are the actual characters of their respective universes. Snake's codecs and Palutena's guidance prove it wrong, for example. Brawl's storyline depended on the relationship of the various characters.
Everything in Smash is a "what if" with no relation to the actual series the characters came from. What you said does not disprove the figurines theory. The figurine theory is supported by Smash openings, and even the amiibos.

Last edited:

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
To me, Ridley in Ultimate is more based off of his appearances from the first couple Metroid games (namely NES Metroid and Super Metroid) where he wasn't really that big and his wings were smaller compared to the rest of his body. The Ridleys from Brawl and Smash 4 seemed to be based off of the Metroid Prime series and the Other M respectively.
Also this. I noticed that right away and loved it. Super Metroid Ridley is definitely my favorite incarnation of Ridley ever in Metroid.

Top Bottom