• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley Combo Optimization Using 2 Button short hop

OverLade

Smash Hero
I made an entire video on how it works and how to do it, but I figure first off you probably just want to see what it looks like.

https://youtu.be/oQeD6zHkSts?t=408

Video is timestamped.

Ridley now has guaranteed 40%+ combos on what I believe should be the entire cast. Haven't had a chance to lab every single character but the percent ranges for regrab combos and dash attack finishers seems to be pretty huge.

Definitely think it's significant enough to upgrade his meta.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Awesome! How are you assigning your buttons?

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Oh this looks really cool!

I have a few questions, as I'm having a bit of trouble getting the dash attack to count as a true, fifth step of the combo, and I'm still picking up some of the more intermediate things in the game such as the buffering system.

Are you buffering a short hop after your down throw, and then manually timing the fast fall forward air, or are you buffering the short hop forward air while the down throw is going.

Is there any trick to landing, such as l canceling the landing here to speed things up that I may be missing.

Is there a way to buffer a sprint out of a landing? When I try to do it, I just end up buffering a walk, and am wondering if this is the step where I'm too slow.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
OverLade OverLade

Just to be clear, the reason why you use both jump buttons is to reliably short hop by itself. As in you aren't pressing attack and jump at the same time correct? You are short hopping by itself, then forward air for the drag down?

Is that what has you catch the opponent with a grab before they can react again? I think I do it sometimes but only in training. I just A+jump for an auto short hop attack but I don't know if thats what you are doing.

Edit:
Just watched it again with a little more clarity. Using the buffer system to 2 button jump without worries and having a late forward air so the move ends with the opponent still in hit stun.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
OverLade OverLade

Just to be clear, the reason why you use both jump buttons is to reliably short hop by itself. As in you aren't pressing attack and jump at the same time correct? You are short hopping by itself, then forward air for the drag down?

Is that what has you catch the opponent with a grab before they can react again? I think I do it sometimes but only in training. I just A+jump for an auto short hop attack but I don't know if thats what you are doing.

Edit:
Just watched it again with a little more clarity. Using the buffer system to 2 button jump without worries and having a late forward air so the move ends with the opponent still in hit stun.
I've been experimenting a lot with this combo in the training mode lately, as I was bewildered with how to reproduce it at first as well. I'll let you know what I found.

You need to down throw, and then buffer a short hop during the down throw. You do this by holding down two jump keys simultaneously, and also you need to hold left or right on the analog stick so your short hop begins jumping towards the direction of your thrown opponent. After this, you must wait a minimum of 6 frames before starting you forward aerial (so if your first frame of air time is frame 42, for example, you'd need to input a forward aerial on frame 48). You need to fast fall the aerial during the forward air. If you do it before frame 48, you won't be able to fast fall soon enough and you won't be able to follow up with a dash attack. If you do it too late, your opponent may air dodge you and you'll miss your forward air. Once you land, you need to buffer a dash attack. You can do this by holding forward up to 7 frames before the end of your landing animation, and then, immediately, input the C stick in the direction of your opponent to trigger a dash attack.

I hope this helps, as it's what I've found so far trying to reproduce this combo.

ScarletShepherd24M

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.22
I made an entire video on how it works and how to do it, but I figure first off you probably just want to see what it looks like.

https://youtu.be/oQeD6zHkSts?t=408

Video is timestamped.

Ridley now has guaranteed 40%+ combos on what I believe should be the entire cast. Haven't had a chance to lab every single character but the percent ranges for regrab combos and dash attack finishers seems to be pretty huge.

Definitely think it's significant enough to upgrade his meta.
went into lab to try other set ups for using the two button short hop for a few matchups. Have you considered trying 2bsh->fast fall neutral->dash cancel grab for a general combo starter? Now This is possible with the possible with regular jump, but if were going with the logic of "more consistent standard short hop into air." This setup could also yield potential for a large majority of the cast till about 50-80%. Now the only issue is that you have to let the short hop play to a certain point before the fast fall. I'll try to put images/video later for this later. Basically imagine the purple circle around ridley during the nair animation as the 4 segments of a rotating circle. If you do it to early then you will not see any purple outline/circle. To late and you will get a half circle(180 degrees). If timed right you will see a quarter (90 degrees) of the circle before landing. This means the hitbox got out just before landing and you can follow as you want. The dash cancel grab is optional. This position of ridley's foot seems to have the lowest knockback growth as well

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Factoring in DI away with your opponent, I think the roll cancel grab and dash attack cancel boost grabs become more essential for the combo to work, like with the 2nd grab after you f-air, making the regrab true far as I know. Also works if they do a neutral airdodge or shield afterward.

Also instead of ending with dash attack, can dash and d-smash to punish DI in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom