• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley and the fundamentals?

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Hi,

I have a question for all you Ridley mains. I'm looking to improve my grasp of the fundamentals of Smash ultimate (spacing, movement, etc.) and have been practicing with Ike. Someone recently mentioned to me that playing Ridley, however, would also be a good way to learn how to play Ultimate better (as opposed to just learning how to play a character better). As the character of Ridley holds far more attraction to me than Ike (I tend to go for the villains), what are your thoughts? Will practicing with Ridley help me gain a better understanding of the fundamentals of Smash Ultimate and help me learn how to play Ultimate better, or is Ridley more of a "learn the character" as opposed to "learn the game" type of character?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I suppose I would say it's a bit of both, as with Ridley you have to learn spacing more than you would with others, but there's a bit of 'learn the character' you have to go through with him too. Practicing against Ike is actually good for getting a better handle of shield parrying, due to how slow his attacks are.

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
A bit of both, as said above. I will admit that Ridley isn't all that complicated, especially once you understand his recovery. (In case you don't, there are four directions: Forward which sends you down at a slight angle, Backward which sends you up at a steeper angle, Down which sends you diagonally in your direction, and Up which sends you straight up)

So far what I've found out is that Ridley needs to play a bit patiently, especially in certain matchups. He also has a few spacing tools which I have yet to master, Side Tilt being the main one, while also possessing somewhat of a combo game. Dthrow to Fair is true on some characters, and you can toss a Nair out for mixups.
The character can also teach you tremendously hard reads with down special and fsmash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom