• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rick the Hamster! Kirby's Fluffy Buddy Support Thread (+Coo & Kine?)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
RICK THE HAMSTER

Rick the Hamster is one of Kirby's Animal Buddies originating from Kirby's Dreamland 2. Since then, he has made appearences in other Kirby games, notably Kirby's Dreamland 3 and now Kirby Star Allies.

Why Rick?
"Out of all of Kirby's allies (and enemies), why should we consider Rick?" I hear you asking. Well, Rick was THE Kirby companion up until Kirby 64, being pretty much the mascot to the whole "Animal Buddy" gimmick Kirby's Dream Land 2 and 3. While the case may be that Kirby has more notable allies now, the Animal Buddies were the first playable characters in the Kirby franchise other than Kirby himself. You might add "Well, that's all three of them from Kirby's Dreamland 2, not Rick specifically" And while you are right, Rick was the first animal buddy obtained, and the first one to show up in the intro. Also, Rick was the ONLY animal buddy to show up as a trophy in Melee.

Move Potential
Solo Rick
Rick has plenty of abilities to work with from both Kirby's Dreamland 2 as well as the extra CLEANING ability from Kirby's Dreamland 3, as seen below. In addition to the abilities below, Rick can also inhale like Kirby and King Dedede. Rick also has the ability to stomp on enemies. This is a unique feature about Rick that nobody else in kirby really takes advantage of. If this ability was integrated in smash, just imagine how easy footstooling would be with him.

Rick, Coo and Kine
While Rick definitely has a lot going for him moveset-wise, the recent addition of the Animal Buddies in Kirby Star Allies has all three combined into one playable entity. This entity is very well off, and could easily translate into Smash. Changing into Coo with an aerial or a double jump, or changing into Kine when doing certain moves or swimming and changing back to Rick upon landing on the ground can work seamlessly, as it works fine in Kirby Star Allies.

COLOR PALETTES
Solo Rick
By Starcutter Starcutter

Rick, Coo and Kine
by hinata2000100

SUPPORTER LIST
If you want to get in this list, just say you support the character. You should probably type Starcutter Starcutter too, just so I know.

https://smashboards.com/members/opossum.197163/

Icon by
smileMasky

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I've been wanting to see Young Link in Smash with the Transformation masks...
But Rick in Star Allies plays more or less exactly how I imagined Link, so I'll support in order to bring in more unique fighters.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I made Color alts for solo Rick based off a ton of the animal buddies, a hamster I had, Rick's girlfriend, and the GB palette!

D

Deleted member

Okay, I may as well just admit it: I'd be cool with any Kirby rep, even if Bandana Dee and Marx are my top choices.
I'd like it if the rest of the animal buddies were also incorperated in his moveset (Including the ones from Dreamland 3).

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Okay, I may as well just admit it: I'd be cool with any Kirby rep, even if Bandana Dee and Marx are my top choices.
I'd like it if the rest of the animal buddies were also incorporated in his moveset (Including the ones from Dreamland 3).
While I'd like all of the animal friends to be included, I'm not sure if they all would be in the base moveset. I suppose it could happen, but I think that's probably final smash material right there.

D

Deleted member

While I'd like all of the animal friends to be included, I'm not sure if they all would be in the base moveset. I suppose it could happen, but I think that's probably final smash material right there.
That's fair

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Sure, I guess. I don't really take the possibility seriously, so I guess he's not a threat to my main picks.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Sure, I guess. I don't really take the possibility seriously, so I guess he's not a threat to my main picks.
You act like being on a list somehow directly affects a character's chances, haha. This is just for fun!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Rick is great. Sign me up.

D

Deleted member

I'm trying to make a moveset for the animal trio based on Star Allies and it's much harder than I expected, so I might try to do things differently...
animals.png

No need to comment on my fantastic artistic skills.
(Just in case it's not clear, Rick is supposed to be holding Kine like a gun)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Rick makes me so happy! Just look at the guy; he's so adorable. I especially like the idea of a package deal with Coo & Kine like in Star Allies since that was superbly executed and they're always together anyway. That would open the door to a more interesting moveset too. Sign me up!

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
As much as I want Rick, I feel like Bandana Dee has more of a chance. Nonetheless I support!

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Sure I'll support the trio. I have some great memories of them when I first played KDL3 as a kid. Besides, Star Allies really did a good job with their moveset.

simon_thekillerewok

Smash Rookie
I support Rick, but I want the character to be called Animal Friends and include all of them, including Rick, Coo, Kine, ChuChu, Nago, and Pitch.

Realistically, I don't know if there's a path to it happening however. Bandana Dee should be in the game already definitely, but then there's also Magolor, Marx, and Gooey (Kirby echo). My ideal would be to give preference first to Bandana Dee and then the Animal Friends and then Magolor.

Top Bottom