• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Richter: Not Andy

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Welcome fans of the Belmont clan!
Congratulations on not just the devilishly fun Simon, but the handsome fellow Richter.

For a basic run down on this lad (courtesy of the Castlevania Wikipedia)

Richter Belmont is a descendant of Simon Belmont and a renowned vampire hunter. He has a strong sense of justice and unwavering will. Every generation of the Belmont Clan has produced tougher, more dedicated vampire hunters — yet Richter stands as one of the most powerful in the family. Brandishing the legendary sacred whip which so many of his predecessors wielded, this hot-headed youth pushed Dracula to the brink.

Contents
  1. Character's history
    1. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
    2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    3. Castlevania: Nocturne of Recollection
    4. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

I am less familiar with Castlevania than many. Played but not thoroughly and not recently.
I really expected an Alucard Echo... can someone beat the Wikipedia explanation of the significance of Richter?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
He says one of the most iconic lines in Castlevania.
"DIE MONSTER, YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD"
Richter is my favorite Belmont so I'm estatic to see him. Along with music from Rondo of Blood/Dracula X, this was a great reveal.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
He was also in Dracula X which was something of a rough SNES remake of Rondo of Blood. I'm suprised Sakurai didn't mention this game as it was his first appearance on a Nintendo system.

As for Richter's significance, the fact that he was in Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night, two of the most popular Castlevania titles, should make it apparent. Symphony of the night ushered in the era of the metroidvania. Rondo of Blood up to that point was contested as the best Castlevania to come out. Dracula X was a flawed game but none-the-less popular and has a somewhat dedicated fanbase.

If there ever was to be an echo of Simon Belmont, it would be Richter given that all the Belmonts perform in a similar manner. Alucard on the other hand is a very unique character comparatively. I gurantee that had Simon come out and Richter not been announced, a Richter echo thread would have popped up immediately. Smashboards users however haven't speculated echoes off of unrevealed characters so that's why he hasn't really been apparent on the boards.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think that the reason why they choose ritcher inparticular was like an Ike scenario, where buff ike is more popular on the west and young ike is more popular on the east.

Chi no rondo was by most japanese castlevania fans, considered the best castlevania game, obviously in teh west wasn't so popular cause it didn't exist :v (i actually liked teh SNES remake though)

So simon for west, Ritcher for east.... neat.

(also Ritcher have its memetic status on teh west, Die monster... yadda yadda)

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Richter is objectively the best Belmont and his inclusion in Smash makes me ****ing ecstatic. I really hope they let you pick his Symphony of the Night design with the long hair and overcoat.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
I saw Simon taking moves from Richter coming because of Richter having Street Fighter-esque moves and the super jump, and him being an Echo Fighter is very nice. On top of him being the best Belmont, he was even in my favorite Castlevania game, Portrait of Ruin. I am super hyped for this.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
...doesn't Richter end up

Betraying the Belmont clan in one of the games?
I don’t think you have to worry about spoiling a twenty year old game.

He doesn’t betray them willingly, he gets mind-controlled by a priest named Shaft (yes, that’s actually his name) because he figured that controlling him would be easier than trying to beat him. Alucard snaps him out of it, though.

Last edited:

Evil Yoshi 85

Smash Cadet
I’ve barely played any Castlevania games, but looking at the footage it seems Simon/Richter’s play style could be right up my alley.

Also, as an Amiibo collector, there’s no way I won’t name my Richter Amiibo “Andy”.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Let's be honest he's basically Jonathan Jostar I have a deep feeling people will meme him to be anything but

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
Let's be honest he's basically Jonathan Jostar I have a deep feeling people will meme him to be anything but
I don't know what it is about his victory screen that just starts screaming "JOJO" to me. it's so weird.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I don't know what it is about his victory screen that just starts screaming "JOJO" to me. it's so weird.
I hionestly don't understand how you can associate a series about a family hunting a powerful vampire through the ages with castlevania?...

Oh....

BTW who is andy? :S

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
When Richter got revealed I screamed. I am going to main him. (and set him as my Ultimate main whenever that gets added)

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Richter Joestar hunting all of the wicked Bayo mains with Holy Water and Hamon energy? That sounds about right. lol

Thread correct me if I'm wrong but over the years JoJo and Castlevania started borrowing little aspects of each other right? Or at least it began when JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1 came out, which was a year after Castlevania released.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
I hionestly don't understand how you can associate a series about a family hunting a powerful vampire through the ages with castlevania?...

Oh....

For real all we would need now to further represent Jojo without actually using Jojo chars, would be to make Dracula/Alucard or Soma Cruz playable (DIO), then get Guile from Street fighter (Stroheim) and finally Daroach(Kirby) or Oddjob(Goldeneye) to represent Speeeeeeedwagoooon!!! ;)

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Richter Joestar hunting all of the wicked Bayo mains with Holy Water and Hamon energy? That sounds about right. lol

Thread correct me if I'm wrong but over the years JoJo and Castlevania started borrowing little aspects of each other right? Or at least it began when JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1 came out, which was a year after Castlevania released.
Well the only very obvious/well-known example I can think of ( haven't played a lot of castlevania games though), was Soma aquiring/using an ability in Aria of sorrow, that involved a short ranged Stand ghost punching enemies in front of Soma in quick succession whilst yelling/exclaiming the famous; ORAORAORAORAORA! So there's definitiely some truth to that assumption.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
richter is the last belmont in the bloodline to use the family whip before julius takes up arms in the battle of 1999.
he beat dracula in rondo of blood and went missing by the time symphony of the night happened.
basically he was brainwashed by shaft (one of the lieutenants in rondo of blood) to bring back draculas castle and act as a puppet ruler until shaft had enough to go on to bring back dracula proper.
long and complicated series of events lead alucard, son of dracula who helped trevor belmont centuries ago to defeat his father, and the protagonist of symphony of the night (who is now an assist trophy in ultimate.) to find out richters insanity and, if a certain set of events are done the right way, free richter from his curse and proceed through a second castle to destroy shaft, who just managed to bring back dracula with his dying breath, who was dealt with soon after.
richter was also playable in symphony of the night after getting the good ending. there is no story, and he controls similarly to rondo of blood, but smoother and easier to control. he does, get new moves: a sliding jump kick, a dash tackle, and a powerful uppercut attack that would put ryus shoryuken to shame. all of these new moves were incorporated into simons moveset (and therefore richters moveset) in smash ultimate.

what's funny about alucard is, he is wielding the crissagrim. which is like, the most broken weapon in sotn.
brawl meta knight wishes he could be alucard wielding the crissagrim

Last edited:

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
...doesn't Richter end up

Betraying the Belmont clan in one of the games?
no. he gets brainwashed by shaft, preying on the notion that once his fight with dracula is over, history will forget him.
he can be saved if you do certain things before confronting him (which in igarashis timeline, happened and are canon).
though if you don't and go up to the throne room first chance you get, he is the final boss and you are left with a *REALLY* depressing ending.
hoping an outfit based on richters sotn artwork is used for smash.
amusingly, if rng is on your side, you can re-create the scuffle richter has with alucard in sotn.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
He did when he was introducing Richter, I guess you missed it.
I was referring to Dracula X, not Rondo of Blood. Rondo of Blood, being a japanese exclusive on the Turbografx16 may have been Richter's first game and it may be the better of the two versions but Dracula X was more wide spread due to being an international release on the popular SNES. Though I guess Rondo of blood did eventually make it to the virtual console so alls well I guess.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
I was referring to Dracula X, not Rondo of Blood. Rondo of Blood, being a japanese exclusive on the Turbografx16 may have been Richter's first game and it may be the better of the two versions but Dracula X was more wide spread due to being an international release on the popular SNES. Though I guess Rondo of blood did eventually make it to the virtual console so alls well I guess.
OK I must have traveled between universes because I swear when I saw this live he said from Rondo of Blood and Dracula X but now it's just Rondo of Blood. Not sure where the false memory came from.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Richter's been the favorite Belmont and probably one of my most fave characters in the series alongside Maria Rhenard and Alucard ATM (who I more remember first as Kid Dracula in Parodius-games).

Without a doubt, Richter's Smash-inclusion here is truly a happy surprise to me. Before the Direct started, I threw it as a wishful thinking around that maybe he could be Koopalings/Alph to Simon along Trevor and Juste - so it really had me just not believing he was shown all by his own, reprising himself the way I best remembered him. What a day.

Can't honestly wait to pick him up.

All hail best Belmont.

Last edited:

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Richter's been the favorite Belmont and probably one of my most fave characters in the series alongside Maria Rhenard and Alucard ATM (who I more remember first as Kid Dracula in Parodius-games).

Without a doubt, Richter's Smash-inclusion here is truly a happy surprise to me. Before the Direct started, I threw it as a wishful thinking around that maybe he could be Koopalings/Alph to Simon along Trevor and Juste - so it really had me just not believing he was shown all by his own, reprising himself the way I best remembered him. What a day.

Can't honestly wait to pick him up.

All hail best Belmont.

mine too!
he's the one clone i'm actually happy to see.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace

Oh....

hopefully not me! by coincidence my name is andy. and on a bloodstained ritual of the night discord server i am called "smashter belmont."
....prolly a coincidence :V

Oddball

Smash Lord

Oh....

Andy Richteris Conan O'briens sidekick on all the various latenight shows he's had.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Richteris

That name right there sounds/looks like a made-up illness/medical condition to my german ears/eyes ( like some special form of OCD, Autism or Scizophrenia) :dizzy::eek::urg:

I mean, yeah I get how it's supposed to be prounounced and all, but that just looks like a really unfortunate combination between the german term for the profession of Judge and the name of the greek goddess of discord, Eris, which is pretty contradictory ain't it?

There's also the way it would be pronounced in german, I mean "Ch" is a pretty rare tone syllabe in English, from what I understand, I just noticed that it happens to be one of the hardest things to pronounce for English speakers learning german. Then again there's german words like Rucksack, Zeitgeist, Pretzel and Gesundheit, which aren't exactly easy words either, but are well known and are , more often than not, pronounced how they're supossed to.

To give you an example that would be like some german guy having Smitherens for a last name but pronouncing it like Attack on Titan would, as Smith+Eren's.

Anyway, sorry for the random linguistic departure, just had to get this out my head.

I can at least mention/provide something more relevant to this thread though. The word "Richter" comes from the verb "richten" which can stand for/mean to adjust, direct, judge(ofc) or my favourite, to fix/setting things right. Especially the last one fits Richter's character and personality perfectly/to a T :smash:

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Pretty sure he just had a typo and meant to write "Andy Richter is Conan O'Brien's sidekick".

Given that the guy's name is Andy Richter.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
So I, like many other westerners, had very little knowledge of Richter before his reveal in Ultimate. The only Castlevania games that I had experience with were the NES games, IV, Aria, Lords of Shadow, and Order of Ecclesia. So I just recently downloaded Dracula X on the 3DS eShop and thought it was really solid. Apparently it’s nothing compared to Rondo of Blood, so I’m really hoping they release that, along with Symphony of the Night on the Switch.

Anyway, I’m really excited for Richter and wanted to go on that little tangent to express my want to play his games, becasue I thought Dracula X was really good and suddenly I’m really craving more Castlevania in my life.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
So I, like many other westerners, had very little knowledge of Richter before his reveal in Ultimate. The only Castlevania games that I had experience with were the NES games, IV, Aria, Lords of Shadow, and Order of Ecclesia. So I just recently downloaded Dracula X on the 3DS eShop and thought it was really solid. Apparently it’s nothing compared to Rondo of Blood, so I’m really hoping they release that, along with Symphony of the Night on the Switch.

Anyway, I’m really excited for Richter and wanted to go on that little tangent to express my want to play his games, becasue I thought Dracula X was really good and suddenly I’m really craving more Castlevania in my life.
what's funny is dracula x is considered an inferior port of rondo of blood. by no means a bad game, but like, if given the choice, im fairly certain everyone would play rondo of blood (or its remake in the dracula x chronicles, which includes the original AND symphony of the night.)
and even then, that's not where most of simon/richters moves come from.
a vast majority of the acrobatic moves (uppercut, sliding jump kick) were all taken from richters playable appearence in castlevania symphony of the night.
which is getting a re-release on ps4 (hopefully others, like the switch and pc). best bet is there.
those acrobatics were prolly added to make the whole game beatable with richter :p

Last edited:

Sheik_Pwns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aluran
3DS FC
0834-1378-6308
I still say Julius is the strongest seeing as how its Richters Fault they couldnt use the whip for a while

Top Bottom