• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rhythm Heaven General - Let's BAND together!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, with Byleth being a 1st party character added as DLC, what do you all think of Rhythm Heaven's chances now?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
So, with Byleth being a 1st party character added as DLC, what do you all think of Rhythm Heaven's chances now?
I'm not too confident, but I think with this pass being 'extra' and Sakurai's goal being to satisfy fans who were previously disappointed, Rhythm Heaven might have a shot. I think there's a ton of other more-popular choices that'd get in first, unfortunately- but maybe Japan will be the heroes we need lol.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I'm not too confident, but I think with this pass being 'extra' and Sakurai's goal being to satisfy fans who were previously disappointed, Rhythm Heaven might have a shot. I think there's a ton of other more-popular choices that'd get in first, unfortunately- but maybe Japan will be the heroes we need lol.
What now?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
What now?
I was a bit misinformed when I wrote that, basically what was actually said was, the pass is extra, and that's about it. Someone must've wrote something wrong I took at face value. It does seem like getting more fan favorites is likely, though...

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I was a bit misinformed when I wrote that, basically what was actually said was, the pass is extra, and that's about it. Someone must've wrote something wrong I took at face value. It does seem like getting more fan favorites is likely, though...
I guess the "extra additions" clarification could not mean much indication for anything for the record, but at any rate we could be getting "extravagant additions" for all we know!

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I know this series has been on the list for long time, just I have a mixed feeling about it. Despite of its similiarity with Warioware series, it doesn't really have an attractive cast for people to easily remember and support. I think Warioware did a better job in portraying its own original cast, and after all, characters' charm wasn't the main purpose of rhythm games, so that's the dilemma we have now for Smash entry.

I think if NIntendo volunteer to push it, they might have to "polish" the characters, with more detailed looks with 3D models, personality, story... etc. Although not sure if the loyal fans want them to be as simple as usual?

The main argument about Byeth should be that we haven't exactly get a new series DLC from Nintendo, so I wouldn't think Byleth has direct influence on RH's chance.

If anything, the situation gets worse if NIntendo tends to advertise new games on Switch. Otherwise it has to be a simultaneous reveal like AC.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
The only full thing going against RH is no clear main character which smash always aims for, the closest to it is Karate Joe. Ult wise being mostly old returns and super big first party picks, with the dlc then being major picks too makes it harder for a nicher series like RH. The weirdest thing is the lack of even an assist trophy or mii costume because its clear they do care for RH, even having a smash run enemy but yet no assist here. I can always hope they make Sakurai do a RH character to push an upcoming game (come on if gonna shill a game, shill one that actually needs it.)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I know this series has been on the list for long time, just I have a mixed feeling about it. Despite of its similiarity with Warioware series, it doesn't really have an attractive cast for people to easily remember and support. I think Warioware did a better job in portraying its own original cast, and after all, characters' charm wasn't the main purpose of rhythm games, so that's the dilemma we have now for Smash entry.

I think if NIntendo volunteer to push it, they might have to "polish" the characters, with more detailed looks with 3D models, personality, story... etc. Although not sure if the loyal fans want them to be as simple as usual?

The main argument about Byeth should be that we haven't exactly get a new series DLC from Nintendo, so I wouldn't think Byleth has direct influence on RH's chance.

If anything, the situation gets worse if NIntendo tends to advertise new games on Switch. Otherwise it has to be a simultaneous reveal like AC.
I disagree, I think there's tons of characters in Rhythm Heaven that are charming and memorable.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I disagree, I think there's tons of characters in Rhythm Heaven that are charming and memorable.
I highlighted that it's in comparison with other different game series and Warioware, which is the closest from the presented franchises.

The theory might be my subjective view, but it wouldn't be too biased to say general people prefer Inklings and Mac for some reasons.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I highlighted that it's in comparison with other different game series and Warioware, which is the closest from the presented franchises.

The theory might be my subjective view, but it wouldn't be too biased to say general people prefer Inklings and Mac for some reasons.
Yeah I'm gonna want a source on these "general people", their feelings, and why they matter. Mac got in because he was a hardcore want from the fandom, the star of a classic, and was relevant thanks to a new game. He wasn't a character "general people" were clamoring for, if there even are any.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'm gonna want a source on these "general people", their feelings, and why they matter. Mac got in because he was a hardcore want from the fandom, the star of a classic, and was relevant thanks to a new game. He wasn't a character "general people" were clamoring for, if there even are any.
Like said it's subjective reading, so I of course won't give you reliable answer or source.

I just say the reality remains that RH hasn't become a main universe with fighters, or even NPCs, so that I believe this franchise needs some push to make it in Smash bros. In comparison to most general franchsies in Smash bros, RH is very unconventional, and it really depends on whether NIntendo is bold enough to break the wall.

Last edited:

Jeremy Smasher

Smash Cadet
Soooo something I noticed regarding Rhythm Heaven as a character for FP2.

The second set of DLC was said to be finalised by November because that's when Byleth's thing was shot where they said the DLC has already been picked. But IDK if it could have been long before that date when the finalisation was first made if (according to Opossum and others, apparently) negotiations for Banjo were at April of the year FP1 was coincidentally also said to be finalised by November.
https://smashboards.com/threads/soc...ur-eternal-doom.484266/page-624#post-23421220

Looking at Tsunku's tweets, he talks about being hypothetically up to do a Rhythm Heaven Switch game in March - maybe May 2019
“Oh. If there’s everyone perhaps I’d do it. RT @sayurianeki: Tsunku, could you please make Rhythm Heaven for Switch?”
(IDK proper translation but according to Google translate: "Thank you very much. I'll do my best to be connected next! What was innovative about RT “Rhythm Heaven”? Tsunku ♂ New “sound game” form (real sound)-Yahoo! News https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20190507-00010004-realsound-ent
@YahooNewsTopics")

So that's a 6-8 month period for Tsunku to hypothetically introduce/see introduced and be a part of a new Rhythm Heaven game (or at least a much easier "collection" rerelease of the games or something) in which they'd also pick it to be promoted as DLC for Smash FP2. And maybe the sentiment of wanting to bring more 3DS franchises to Switch was having its seeds planted before its mention alongside the Switch Lite's success in Halloween 2019, which was right before they filmed the Byleth thing.
BUT SO if there's negotiations needed to be made for third parties LONG in advance, would a first party character also need to be set in stone alongside those, assuming it wasn't merely "slot for a first party here, decide later" or something? Would Nintendo have just plotted at least a good idea of the plan of how Fighter's Pass 2 was going to go before this hypothetical new Rhythm Heaven thing was brought up, EVEN if it was within the aforementioned 6-8 month period?
https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-338#post-23455293

If so, this mean Rhythm Heaven didn't have a new game/rerelease to ride on chances with in terms of being in FP2, not making it impossible though...

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I have been thinking... and I came to the conclusion that a Rhythm Heaven game may be closer to us than we think right now. You probably know how the RH team also works on the WarioWare games. They do that in a kind of Switch. First, a RH game releases, then a major WarioWare, then RH again, and and and...

See, since RH DS:
-Rhythm Heaven, 2008
-WarioWare: Do It Yourself, 2009
-Rhythm Heaven Fever, 2011
-Game & Wario, 2013
-Rhythm Heaven Megamix, 2015
-WarioWare Gold, 2018

I feel like RH is coming up next again... And with WarioWare Gold being released, I think it’s likely the next RH game is coming in either 2020 or 2021.

That is really interesting for Smash too, since Nintendo still picks the choices for DLC (I believe I read that somewhere, correct me if I’m wrong). Nintendo could pick a RH character as promotion, but also, since these characters might be along the last ones to join the Ultimate Smash, to contribute to the ultimate Nintendo crossover. This feels logical due to being the last active Nintendo series not represented with a stage or character. This was, together with Arms. Until Nintendo announced that Arms is coming. I feel like this choice is interesting for the RH fandom, especially with a game coming up probably. I can see a RH character being fighter pass number 8, 9 or 10, being the third, fourth or fifth character in the pack.

Thoughts?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I have been thinking... and I came to the conclusion that a Rhythm Heaven game may be closer to us than we think right now. You probably know how the RH team also works on the WarioWare games. They do that in a kind of Switch. First, a RH game releases, then a major WarioWare, then RH again, and and and...

See, since RH DS:
-Rhythm Heaven, 2008
-WarioWare: Do It Yourself, 2009
-Rhythm Heaven Fever, 2011
-Game & Wario, 2013
-Rhythm Heaven Megamix, 2015
-WarioWare Gold, 2018

I feel like RH is coming up next again... And with WarioWare Gold being released, I think it’s likely the next RH game is coming in either 2020 or 2021.

That is really interesting for Smash too, since Nintendo still picks the choices for DLC (I believe I read that somewhere, correct me if I’m wrong). Nintendo could pick a RH character as promotion, but also, since these characters might be along the last ones to join the Ultimate Smash, to contribute to the ultimate Nintendo crossover. This feels logical due to being the last active Nintendo series not represented with a stage or character. This was, together with Arms. Until Nintendo announced that Arms is coming. I feel like this choice is interesting for the RH fandom, especially with a game coming up probably. I can see a RH character being fighter pass number 8, 9 or 10, being the third, fourth or fifth character in the pack.

Thoughts?
I wholeheartedly agree, RH is definitely next for the team and I think the only reason they're taking so long is because they're making this a bigger-budget game, one that takes advantage of the Switch's features.

To add to that, I think 2020 might be a year for smaller games on the Switch. That's good for RH. Does that mean we could see a character in Smash? Maybe. ARMS didn't need a new game to get in so it's not like we're getting promotional picks. But on the other hand, the Chorus Kids, like Spring Man, are characters that were considered before, while also being from a perennial Nintendo series that could use the boost to become bigger. It could pan out.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
To add to that, I think 2020 might be a year for smaller games on the Switch. That's good for RH. Does that mean we could see a character in Smash? Maybe. ARMS didn't need a new game to get in so it's not like we're getting promotional picks. But on the other hand, the Chorus Kids, like Spring Man, are characters that were considered before, while also being from a perennial Nintendo series that could use the boost to become bigger. It could pan out.
If RH is coming in 2020, due to being the year of smaller games, when would they announce it? I don't really think Nintendo would announce RH at the "huge" presentation around the time E3 was supposed to be. It would be snowed under by more popular games. I think RH could be a game announced at the autumn direct (September 2020? October 2020?). The RH character announcement could be linked to it. Would be interesting to see.

---

The only difference between the ARMS and Rhythm Heaven fanbase (in my opinion) is that I feel that the ARMS fanbase is much more vocal and active than the RH fanbase. I feel like they kept talking about a possible ARMS rep, even when an ARMS rep didn't feel possible at all. The RH fanbase is just... quiet. Non-active. Maybe, with more activeness, a RH rep would be more in sight for the Smash team.

There are so many possibilities and the characters could be so unique! I'm sad it didn't happen. Not in Smash 4, not in Ultimate. Maybe it's time now. Maybe this will be more like a "second chance" pack. If so, I feel like Chorus Kids will be very high up there. It's just weird and doesn't feel right, that RH is the only "big" Nintendo series, that doesn't have a stage or even assist trophy. So many music tracks and spirits that could be included (every minigame got its own artwork in Megamix for the menu). It just doesn't feel right.

Let's just ... fight for the right of Rhythm Heaven. Just one character would make justice. To put the next big Nintendo series in. After they put ARMS in, I hope it's clear for Nintendo that RH is the next active unrepresented first party series. Along with a Rhythm Heaven Switch game probably coming up... I feel like the chances have never ever been this high since the Smash 4 days... Rhythm Heaven fans, LET'S BAND TOGETHER! To finally get justice for one of Nintendos best series! I hope I can convince some other fans too to be more active and vocal and to show the RH fandom has some believers too...

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So according to Tsunku, he really want a Rhythm heaven on Switch and he's asking to fans to make our voices heard for a new game (translation from Push Dustin: https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1247761918145658881 )

While that is pretty good news that he still wants to work on the series, I think it kind of confirm the fact that no new games in the series are planned for now, and just killed Rhythm heaven chances to be in Fighter pass 2.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
There goes my hopes for another ARMS like pick but for RH. Oh well, i'll hope that at the very least we'll get a port of megamix but with literally all games now.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
Boy its been a while. ('m gonna post this piece in various other RH threads, sorry) Hope is at an all time low and I'm not like super hopeful but... we can't give up completely can we? I mean Arms was "presumed dead" and then... yeah. There are 2 ways to look at its inclusion, one of which hurts us, but one helps. It's inclusion right after Byleth makes me very much think we'll get at least 1 more first party fighter, quite possibly 2 maybe even 3 (especially since its been ages since anything leaked for smash, though I can't see less then at least 2 third party fighters) but if Arms was added purely for promotion then... we might be a bit screwed. Yes Megamix was only 2 years before Arms but... Arms is on the switch is the big deal to me. However... Arms has another aspect. In interviews Sakurai said Arms was considered for the base roster but didn't make the cut due to timing. As for DLC he said the Arms team requested it. Revisiting old ideas... requests... must I say more? Requests might not be as obvious but if Tsunku is asking us to make our voices heard for a new Rhythm Heaven then... he'd ask... right? Not to mention he literally retweeted a Rhythm Heaven in Smash animation right before asking one of those times. Honestly, when I actually sit down and think about everything... it seems very much plausible... but that optimism quickly fades. There's plenty against it of course, I won't talk about that here since I'm sure you all are aware. All we can do is hope. Lastly I'd like to make a double plug of sorts. While I do not own this account entirely, the owner (Jomspoons, the guy who made the Karate Joe thread) gave me tweetdeck access a while ago. The account kinda died but I've decided to revive it, check it out maybe? https://twitter.com/RH4Smash you may notice the most recent retweet is from my personal. RH in smash history documentary maybe? It'd likely be at least 25 minutes, frankly could be an hour but I'll try to be reasonable. Keep your rhythm up!

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Boy its been a while. ('m gonna post this piece in various other RH threads, sorry) Hope is at an all time low and I'm not like super hopeful but... we can't give up completely can we? I mean Arms was "presumed dead" and then... yeah. There are 2 ways to look at its inclusion, one of which hurts us, but one helps. It's inclusion right after Byleth makes me very much think we'll get at least 1 more first party fighter, quite possibly 2 maybe even 3 (especially since its been ages since anything leaked for smash, though I can't see less then at least 2 third party fighters) but if Arms was added purely for promotion then... we might be a bit screwed. Yes Megamix was only 2 years before Arms but... Arms is on the switch is the big deal to me. However... Arms has another aspect. In interviews Sakurai said Arms was considered for the base roster but didn't make the cut due to timing. As for DLC he said the Arms team requested it. Revisiting old ideas... requests... must I say more? Requests might not be as obvious but if Tsunku is asking us to make our voices heard for a new Rhythm Heaven then... he'd ask... right? Not to mention he literally retweeted a Rhythm Heaven in Smash animation right before asking one of those times. Honestly, when I actually sit down and think about everything... it seems very much plausible... but that optimism quickly fades. There's plenty against it of course, I won't talk about that here since I'm sure you all are aware. All we can do is hope. Lastly I'd like to make a double plug of sorts. While I do not own this account entirely, the owner (Jomspoons, the guy who made the Karate Joe thread) gave me tweetdeck access a while ago. The account kinda died but I've decided to revive it, check it out maybe? https://twitter.com/RH4Smash you may notice the most recent retweet is from my personal. RH in smash history documentary maybe? It'd likely be at least 25 minutes, frankly could be an hour but I'll try to be reasonable. Keep your rhythm up!
I think the thing about Rhythm Heaven and smash is just how strange its relationship is, its not just we're asking for it and its not happening like so many other franchises, but it also doesn't get the typical things those franchises get.
Rhythm Heaven has a Smash run enemy (the only non-playable franchise to have one).
Gematsu Leak was a thing.
Unused "Rhythm" Data was in Smash 4 amongst the fighters area.
It has like the most spirits out of a non-playable franchise.
Its one of the few to get an online icon in ult (its chorus men of all characters).
And yet theres no assist trophy, why is there no assist trophy???
No mii costume things (even though there was a rhythm monkey hat in streetpass plaza they could use).
If the RH fighter idea was scrapped, why hasnt Sakurai explained why it was cut?

Anyway, as for ult dlc wise, I think its literally perfect, theres nothing else like it, the fighter themselves can easily bring a tempo based gimmick, its aesthetic is unique and would probably be the brightest stage in smash. It would be so very easy to use this to promote a RH game, even if its just a port of Megamix.
The only thing going against RH being in smash is that its not a SUUUUPER big fan request, but its still quite massive, RH and smash speculation seemingly go hand in hand all the time, its just not known ONLY for that like Geno or Isaac.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
I think the thing about Rhythm Heaven and smash is just how strange its relationship is, its not just we're asking for it and its not happening like so many other franchises, but it also doesn't get the typical things those franchises get.
Rhythm Heaven has a Smash run enemy (the only non-playable franchise to have one).
Gematsu Leak was a thing.
Unused "Rhythm" Data was in Smash 4 amongst the fighters area.
It has like the most spirits out of a non-playable franchise.
Its one of the few to get an online icon in ult (its chorus men of all characters).
And yet theres no assist trophy, why is there no assist trophy???
No mii costume things (even though there was a rhythm monkey hat in streetpass plaza they could use).
If the RH fighter idea was scrapped, why hasnt Sakurai explained why it was cut?

Anyway, as for ult dlc wise, I think its literally perfect, theres nothing else like it, the fighter themselves can easily bring a tempo based gimmick, its aesthetic is unique and would probably be the brightest stage in smash. It would be so very easy to use this to promote a RH game, even if its just a port of Megamix.
The only thing going against RH being in smash is that its not a SUUUUPER big fan request, but its still quite massive, RH and smash speculation seemingly go hand in hand all the time, its just not known ONLY for that like Geno or Isaac.
I've seen the idea that music rights are a problem and they could be but if they were it should still get an assist or mii. It's so odd and its weird and a bit aggravating how the fandom sees something like Sylux, 1 kind of important character but a character from a series that has many reps stages etc, and is like "hmm... maybe he's in" (that died with the prime 4 delay but it was thought) yet they see a series we KNOW was planned playable, and has all the right things to imply the smash team views them as important yet none of the things that "deconfirm" a fighter. Like it'd be so easy to write it off as rhythm was hard to implement or something but where is the side content? Like if its not happening give us a mii costume it'd arguably fit with Arms cause first party and possibly fighting motif (while I could see Chorus Kids Tibby etc as a fighter, if we got just a mii I'd expect Joe or Wrestler, though like you said Monkey is possible, even then still first party point)

I don't know, again like logically there's so much that points to it still being in consideration but the series state makes it iffy. If the series was a big fan request or had a recent bombshell of a hit (Megamix I can safely say as of a few days ago probably sold a million, context here: https://www.reddit.com/r/rhythmheaven/comments/ip9bx9/any_folks_who_can_read_japanese_or_help_me/ which is obviously good but the big point going for it is DS sold more then so much stuff including any singular Pikmin game, Arms, any FE before awakening (Megamix actually sold more then any FE before awakening as well), every Golden Sun (ik not in smash but it has an assist which feels like a nice closure for the time being at least, something RH lacks)) it'd frankly with the addition of all this probably be as talked about by the fandom as like Geno. But sadly not... I'm not sure if it will happen... but I won't ever give it up, won't ever let go, this sweet dream will never die.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I've seen the idea that music rights are a problem and they could be but if they were it should still get an assist or mii. It's so odd and its weird and a bit aggravating how the fandom sees something like Sylux, 1 kind of important character but a character from a series that has many reps stages etc, and is like "hmm... maybe he's in" (that died with the prime 4 delay but it was thought) yet they see a series we KNOW was planned playable, and has all the right things to imply the smash team views them as important yet none of the things that "deconfirm" a fighter. Like it'd be so easy to write it off as rhythm was hard to implement or something but where is the side content? Like if its not happening give us a mii costume it'd arguably fit with Arms cause first party and possibly fighting motif (while I could see Chorus Kids Tibby etc as a fighter, if we got just a mii I'd expect Joe or Wrestler, though like you said Monkey is possible, even then still first party point)

I don't know, again like logically there's so much that points to it still being in consideration but the series state makes it iffy. If the series was a big fan request or had a recent bombshell of a hit (Megamix I can safely say as of a few days ago probably sold a million, context here: https://www.reddit.com/r/rhythmheaven/comments/ip9bx9/any_folks_who_can_read_japanese_or_help_me/ which is obviously good but the big point going for it is DS sold more then so much stuff including any singular Pikmin game, Arms, any FE before awakening (Megamix actually sold more then any FE before awakening as well), every Golden Sun (ik not in smash but it has an assist which feels like a nice closure for the time being at least, something RH lacks)) it'd frankly with the addition of all this probably be as talked about by the fandom as like Geno. But sadly not... I'm not sure if it will happen... but I won't ever give it up, won't ever let go, this sweet dream will never die.
No way music is an issue, they could just do the ones they can get access to like the 3 already in the game, its kinda the thing that aggrivates me with RH and smash relationship, it seems like it was SO close to happening and has had special treatment even when non-playable, but we just have no answers on anything. I think Tsunko not saying anything is kinda a good thing because he could easily be like "yeah its not happening" if so

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
No way music is an issue, they could just do the ones they can get access to like the 3 already in the game, its kinda the thing that aggrivates me with RH and smash relationship, it seems like it was SO close to happening and has had special treatment even when non-playable, but we just have no answers on anything. I think Tsunko not saying anything is kinda a good thing because he could easily be like "yeah its not happening" if so
No Tsunku owns a lot of RH music, none of the current songs have his involvement. I do not know what he owns other then he most certainly owns any vocal songs from the series, even singing Young Love Rock n Roll. So it's possible that many important RH songs would be tied to him and as such hard to include. But I mean this is smash, its DLC, its an inhouse series, and even in the worst case scenario FF had only 2 songs and got in so... I think it'd likely do better cause Tsunku's only gaming connection is RH, I don't see him being too uptight about the rights. Maybe Tsunku would be next to all the copyrights at the end of trailers even? Regardless, I have heard that Ringside, obviously a popular song deserving to be in smash, is not owned by him. I have no direct source but overall we just loop back around:If music rights were why Rhythm Heaven didn't happen... then why did it not get an assist or stage in ultimate? A stage really wouldn't need to have a ton of RH songs with Ultimate's any music on misc stages rule, and I assume an assist would just add one song that it plays when it spawns, which... Ringside so. Yeah, I dunno.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
No Tsunku owns a lot of RH music, none of the current songs have his involvement. I do not know what he owns other then he most certainly owns any vocal songs from the series, even singing Young Love Rock n Roll. So it's possible that many important RH songs would be tied to him and as such hard to include. But I mean this is smash, its DLC, its an inhouse series, and even in the worst case scenario FF had only 2 songs and got in so... I think it'd likely do better cause Tsunku's only gaming connection is RH, I don't see him being too uptight about the rights. Maybe Tsunku would be next to all the copyrights at the end of trailers even? Regardless, I have heard that Ringside, obviously a popular song deserving to be in smash, is not owned by him. I have no direct source but overall we just loop back around:If music rights were why Rhythm Heaven didn't happen... then why did it not get an assist or stage in ultimate? A stage really wouldn't need to have a ton of RH songs with Ultimate's any music on misc stages rule, and I assume an assist would just add one song that it plays when it spawns, which... Ringside so. Yeah, I dunno.
He doesn't seem like someone that would be uptight about that, i think its more of just they havent really tried for it, theres one song of each localised RH game in right now so im not weirded out by the amount of songs it has in, its quite a lot for non-playable franchise. The assist really is baffling because its used as a way to sneak in those who arent playable like Takamaru, Alucard and more, yet it for some reason has nothing, they couldve even made the sneaky spirit into an assist if anything, we know how it works in smash already.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
For the first time in forever we got an RH in smash leak https://boards.4channel.org/v//thread/525376998/smash-dlc-2 https://is2.4chan.org/v/1600601207769.jpg its nice to see a smash leak, but as for me I say fake
The A is off, the A in Little Mac does NOT match the A in Marshal. The logo is really weird, a perfect logo flipped upside down to become a music note the hands looks weird as hell. And my personal argument that overall means nothing cause smash be weird... why would it be Marshal? Chorus Kids are on the box of the best selling game, and NOE considered Glee Club important enough to do a skit around. Karate joe is in every game, he got a skit from NOJ (the region with the most infuence on everything tho I could see Chorus Kids). Tibby, while a little iffy in my book, is the main character of the most recent entry and appears constantly. Barista is in every entry and is canonically super good at Rhythm games. Marshal uh... he's on the box of Fever
he's in the start and end of Fever
he's in a credits game
he appears as a JPEG in Megamix
idk man

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
Arms was thought of for the base roster but missed the boat
Steve has "been in talks for 5 years"

...Rhythm heaven was planned for smash 4

Is it time? No

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing a lot of Lethal League Blaze recently. Pretty rad game, but it's also given me some ideas for some RH moveset concepts.

So obviously rhythm would have to be a major element of their moveset. An easy way to do that would be to give the RH character a good number of attacks that require specific timining to get the most out of it (like pre-Ultimate Dancing Blade and Alolan Whip). While that's pretty good, I don't think it's super engaging to deal with as an opponent (the most interesting interactions you could get with that is having your opponent punish you for flubbing up the timining on an attack). So, what if we gave the RH character a projectile similar to Gordo Toss that can be reflected by any attack, but doesn't increase in speed from gettining reflected? Throwing out this projectile would turn the duel between you and your opponent into a sort of rhythmical death-tennis (I guess kinda like OoT Ganondorf?).

A sort of easy way to picture/describe this concept would be with a Rhythm Rally side-b attack. The RH character can throw out a ping-pong ball, and like Gordo Toss you can give it 3 speeds: a regular rally, a slow ball, or a quick one. If the opponent hits the ball on the right beat, the ball will be sent back to you at the same speed it was sent, at which point you'd hafta reflect it back, though you can use the side-b to change the speed of the ball. Would probably be a good idea to make the ball incrementally more damaging the more it's been reflected. I guess something that may have to be done for balance is make the quick balls deal less damage (because they're harder to reflect) and slow balls deal more damage ('cause they should be the easiest to reflect)?

Good lord that was long.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Likely or not- I absolutely support Rhythm Heaven. Still waiting on a Switch game, too...

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Outta nowhere a popular linguistics YouTuber that I follow dropped a concept for a Rhythm Heaven challenger pack and I thought I'd share it here.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Well the way i see things with the latest reveal is, not only did they go back and fufill an old game rep they were gonna do, but also the fact that the guys who do Rhythm Heaven and Wario Ware still don't have something to show yet. This can be very good if they do end up doing a double reveal of Rhythm Heaven and RH in Smash deal! And if it is Nintendo calling the shots with this pass for real, then I hope they realise how good this would be for making the franchise truly worldwide popular.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Well the way i see things with the latest reveal is, not only did they go back and fufill an old game rep they were gonna do, but also the fact that the guys who do Rhythm Heaven and Wario Ware still don't have something to show yet. This can be very good if they do end up doing a double reveal of Rhythm Heaven and RH in Smash deal! And if it is Nintendo calling the shots with this pass for real, then I hope they realise how good this would be for making the franchise truly worldwide popular.
They also port Miitopia to the switch, so this makes me more hopeful that Rhythm heaven could have something eventually.

Then again, with only 2 spots left honestly I don't have my hopes too high for RH. Now that Smash has gone full third party, there's so much possibility that I don't think that Rhythm heaven is really a priority like it was in Smash 4. I think Rhythm heaven last chance is if a new game is announced this summer. And with Tsunku comments about "we need your support for a new game" I doubt a new game is planned for now.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
They also port Miitopia to the switch, so this makes me more hopeful that Rhythm heaven could have something eventually.

Then again, with only 2 spots left honestly I don't have my hopes too high for RH. Now that Smash has gone full third party, there's so much possibility that I don't think that Rhythm heaven is really a priority like it was in Smash 4. I think Rhythm heaven last chance is if a new game is announced this summer. And with Tsunku comments about "we need your support for a new game" I doubt a new game is planned for now.
When was that comment posted anyway? Feels like a while ago

Minik

Smash Journeyman
It was in April 2020. So assuming that at this time no game was indded planned, I think it would be way too late to be in Smash, considering that the characters are chosen well in advance.
That's fair, definitely not the best timing for this, but also it could be an animal crossing type situation where its more so planned just around the same sorta time, with tsunku trying to build up hype for it. That all said, if Nintendo was just choosing stuff to be super hype, im not sure why they would go back and do arms and xenoblade 2, arms only had a free weekend and not much more than that.

Oppih

Smash Rookie
Maaan, I shouldn't be this delusional but im STILL kinda expecting RH to get SOMETHING from the DLC. The fact that they have a ton of spirits (the most without any fighter I believe) but dont even have a single assist trophy OR mii costume is so suspicious. The chorus kids even have that badge icon you can pick on Ultimates online modes. So did Pyra and Mythra and they later got in. Oh man, and even them being planned for Smash 4 and Sakurai stating he's bringing back stuff he couldn't finish before. AND that he's going all out for fighters with unique movesets so it makes sense that he would keep this fighter for DLC since it'd catch everyone's attention for how theyd play. If they're willing to do DLC for something new like ARMS, I can see them doing the same for a new IP in smash like Rhythm Heaven. OR just a Karate Joe mii costume at the very least so I can finally let this go. oh PLEEEASE

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Maaan, I shouldn't be this delusional but im STILL kinda expecting RH to get SOMETHING from the DLC. The fact that they have a ton of spirits (the most without any fighter I believe) but dont even have a single assist trophy OR mii costume is so suspicious. The chorus kids even have that badge icon you can pick on Ultimates online modes. So did Pyra and Mythra and they later got in. Oh man, and even them being planned for Smash 4 and Sakurai stating he's bringing back stuff he couldn't finish before. AND that he's going all out for fighters with unique movesets so it makes sense that he would keep this fighter for DLC since it'd catch everyone's attention for how theyd play. If they're willing to do DLC for something new like ARMS, I can see them doing the same for a new IP in smash like Rhythm Heaven. OR just a Karate Joe mii costume at the very least so I can finally let this go. oh PLEEEASE
Yeah it kinda hurts thinking about how this whole 2nd pass has been past ideas coming to completion, with rhythm heaven being pretty much the ONLY one with nothing major, its weird to expect rhythm heaven as the last character so im not gonna, but it also does feel weirdly dissapointing enough (to the general public, not some big 3rd party) to also actually be the last thing they do

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Something that I realised with pass 2 is that character were more complex for Sakurai and the team. Min min was hard to balance because of her range. The team had to program every stage for Steve. Pyra and Mythra were supposed to have Rex, but it was too hard for 8 player smash so Sakurai cut him. And Heihachi was considered for Smash 4, but Sakurai thought he would be too complex, but now we have Kazuya.

If Chorus kids was Cut from Smash 4 because some rhythm mechanics was too hard, now would be the time for Sakurai to try again. And it makes sense than he can do more complex fighters because with the DLC he can put the whole team on a single character.

I feel that Sakurai would still want Rhythm heaven in Smash. The question is: does Nintendo want it? (and unfortunately I doubt it, but who knows).

Top Bottom