• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rhythm Heaven General - Let's BAND together!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Actually does this imply the other Kung fu Ball kid was actually mona?
Hmm... well, I won't say it isn't her, but I personally have VERY strong doubts that Cricket's classmate there is a young Mona. Mostly because when you look at Mona's background in supplementary WarioWare stuff... yeah, I just can't see Cricket's classmate there being a young Mona.

I don’t believe so since Mona have completely different coloured irises than Kung Fu Ball Girl, though then why exactly is she in the trailer anyway? Feel a bit random having her & Joe in there, if there isn’t a connection.
As I've said before, I don't think that Cricket's classmate and Mona are the same person. However, I can tell you why Mona and Joe appear in Cricket and Mantis' video.
In WarioWare: Smooth Moves (during Cricket and Mantis' story) Mona and Joe are seen running a dumpling/steamed bun stand, which Cricket attempts to buy some lunch from for himself and Mantis. Unfortunately, Cricket gets a bit too excited over having something to eat, and he literally starts running on people's heads to get to the front of the line. Eventually, Cricket reaches the front of the line, only to be looked down upon by the ticked-off people he stepped on. He runs on their heads again back to Master Mantis (at the back of the line) and tells him that they should get in line.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm happy of the Karate Joe reference, though given the situation I think that Munchy Monk would have been more fitting maybe...
Anyway, more Rhythm Heaven references are always good.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
At this point, I've mostly given up on RH DLC. It seems DLC this time is really focused on big, surprising, and unrepresented 3rd parties.
My main hope right now is that a new Rhythm Heaven is coming to the switch, so that when a new smash does come around, or if a another fighter pass is announced, it will still be relevant. I wonder if they'll pass up the opportunity to make a WarioWare with all the new Switch gimmicks though. Tsunku is better now, right?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Tsunku made the book "I will live" I think about his choice to remove his vocal cords because of his cancer. I don't think he's currently suffering from it still? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Even if a RH rep doesn't get in this season pass, I can at least I can take comfort in the fact that the Dev team is likely either making a Rhythm heaven or Warioware for the Switch. and given the game's relatively low budgets, it may not even take too long!

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Even if a RH rep doesn't get in this season pass, I can at least I can take comfort in the fact that the Dev team is likely either making a Rhythm heaven or Warioware for the Switch. and given the game's relatively low budgets, it may not even take too long!
Agreed! I mean, we are Rhythm Heaven fans after all!
im sort of paranoid megamix might've ended the series even though it sold super well please prove me wrong nintendo

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Agreed! I mean, we are Rhythm Heaven fans after all!
im sort of paranoid megamix might've ended the series even though it sold super well please prove me wrong nintendo
I wonder how well it did over all? adding on digital sales it could've topped a million!

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Just in case this hasn't been posted anywhere, here's the best visualization of an RH character I've seen on the internet.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Just in case this hasn't been posted anywhere, here's the best visualization of an RH character I've seen on the internet.

This is so perfect!
Also, for all those people who say that Karate Joe would be a generic karate fighter and/or a clone of Ryu.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Delzethin mentioned a collective "Rhythm Heaven" spot as one of his plausible first party picks in his latest video:
I'd like a "Rhythm League" character that's a team-up of some of the more recognisable(?) characters. Here's Sean Hicks's example:
This I can agree with. A Rhythm League would be the best way to fully represent Rhthym Heaven as a franchise in character form. At least several known ones fighting together.

And Del did an amazing job on this video.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I mean everyone is here tho

Good to see that the series may not be as dead as some people may have thought lol. Another instalment would certainly get my support!

Plus if Nintendo gets a RH character in now there'll be much more interest for when a new instalment comes out, a promotional pick but a different functioning one than what you'd expect, I need to have some hope okay

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
okey... big question time.

2D (Game and watch) or 3D? (Pacman, Wario)

I personally think i would prefer the RH rep to be fully 3D. although a 2D might be able to pull transformations better.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I personally think i would prefer the RH rep to be fully 3D. although a 2D might be able to pull transformations better.
I'm 2D all the way, I think that would capture the Spirit and style of RH better. If 3D, then I hope they do some heavy cel-shading.

i am idiot

Smash Rookie
if in a blue moon we ever do get more content from rhythm heaven in smash, the song (or remix) i want the most is a remix of hole in one in the style of the delfino plaza remix from ultimate (i'm talking tempo and all of that) mainly because hole in one's my favorite rhythm game ever. (and before you say it, yes i am aware that hole in one 2 exists, but i still want a remix that goes full delfino plaza)

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman

I think we had this question before, but I'd much prefer 3D. It'd be more interesting to see, and Mr. Game & Watch's gimmick gets to stay unique.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So we now have a stage that changes depending on the music being played. If we ever were to get a RH stage I feel like this mechanic would be guaranteed for it.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
So we now have a stage that changes depending on the music being played. If we ever were to get a RH stage I feel like this mechanic would be guaranteed for it.
This was used for Splatoon and technically new donk for band members but yeah, if theres gonna be some rhythm based gimmicks it would probably be for the stage. Could have full on Rhythm games playing in the background.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So I want to add something (and to bump the thread). One of Rhythm Heaven's problem is it doesn't sell well outside of Japan, despite it doing well domestically. Let me give you some numbers to get an idea. From what I could find, Rhythm Heaven Megamix sold 650,000 in Japan. Now that may not seem like a lot, but here are the Japanese sales and worldwide sales for new releases in 2018
  • Smash Ultimate - 3.17 million (Japan) 12.08 million (worldwide)
  • Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee - 1.85 million (Japan) 8.16 million (worldwide)
  • Super Mario Party - 710,000 (Japan) 5.30 million (worldwide)
  • Mario Tennis Aces - 520,000 (Japan) 2.53 million (worldwide)
  • DKC Tropical Freeze - 280,000 (Japan), 2.08 million (worldwide)
  • Labo (Toy-Con 01) 320,000 (Japan) 1.06 million (worldwide)
As you can see, there is a big disparity between global sales and Japanese sales. Megamix would have outsold Mario Tennis, DKC and Labo. It was just shy of outselling Super Mario Party. If Rhythm Heaven did better outside of Japan than it's sales would be far greater. It may be an issue with music games. Often, Japanese music games sell poorly outside of Japan. Guitar Hero was really the first major break for a music game in the US.

Source of sales data: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190131_2e.pdf

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So I want to add something (and to bump the thread). One of Rhythm Heaven's problem is it doesn't sell well outside of Japan, despite it doing well domestically. Let me give you some numbers to get an idea. From what I could find, Rhythm Heaven Megamix sold 650,000 in Japan. Now that may not seem like a lot, but here are the Japanese sales and worldwide sales for new releases in 2018
  • Smash Ultimate - 3.17 million (Japan) 12.08 million (worldwide)
  • Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee - 1.85 million (Japan) 8.16 million (worldwide)
  • Super Mario Party - 710,000 (Japan) 5.30 million (worldwide)
  • Mario Tennis Aces - 520,000 (Japan) 2.53 million (worldwide)
  • DKC Tropical Freeze - 280,000 (Japan), 2.08 million (worldwide)
  • Labo (Toy-Con 01) 320,000 (Japan) 1.06 million (worldwide)
As you can see, there is a big disparity between global sales and Japanese sales. Megamix would have outsold Mario Tennis, DKC and Labo. It was just shy of outselling Super Mario Party. If Rhythm Heaven did better outside of Japan than it's sales would be far greater. It may be an issue with music games. Often, Japanese music games sell poorly outside of Japan. Guitar Hero was really the first major break for a music game in the US.

Source of sales data: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190131_2e.pdf
There's also just a lack of advertising. Nintendo needs to lean more into the quality and legacy of the series (this applies to many of their IP as well) in order to create the perception of RH as a big title (that's how you make a laid back simulation like Animal Crossing into one of their most expected titles for E3). Pair that with competitive pricing (people might feel more compelled to buy into a 2D rhythm game if it's not priced at $50) and I think that would be a good way to get people into the franchise.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
There's also just a lack of advertising. Nintendo needs to lean more into the quality and legacy of the series (this applies to many of their IP as well) in order to create the perception of RH as a big title (that's how you make a laid back simulation like Animal Crossing into one of their most expected titles for E3). Pair that with competitive pricing (people might feel more compelled to buy into a 2D rhythm game if it's not priced at $50) and I think that would be a good way to get people into the franchise.
Advertising may not be the issue. The DS had Beyonce advertising the game and it didn't do outstanding in the US. From the limited information I could gather, it sold around 500K in the US. Not bad but far from what Nintendo would want. I do agree about perception but it's hard when your game is a collection of minigames.

I think the issue may be direction. Rhythm Heaven is very Japanese-y. I think some modifications to the game would help it appeal in the west. A reason Fire Emblem starting selling better was because western sales increased, where before the series was more reliant on Japanese sales. I think one thing that could help is to team up with western artist. Even if its DLC and you have to buy a remix for a dollar, that could make a big difference. Or have more "hits". You could argue "Jump Up Superstar" helped Odyssey as the song reached the top of the iTunes chart. More singles can bring awareness to the game. Imagine is all of the Remixes were hit songs. Or, alternatively, if there were special Nintendo remixes like "Jump Up Superstar."

I don't see more advertising changing the series fate. I think just focusing on its strengths and bringing new ideas that can appeal to an oversees market.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Advertising may not be the issue. The DS had Beyonce advertising the game and it didn't do outstanding in the US. From the limited information I could gather, it sold around 500K in the US. Not bad but far from what Nintendo would want. I do agree about perception but it's hard when your game is a collection of minigames.

I think the issue may be direction. Rhythm Heaven is very Japanese-y. I think some modifications to the game would help it appeal in the west. A reason Fire Emblem starting selling better was because western sales increased, where before the series was more reliant on Japanese sales. I think one thing that could help is to team up with western artist. Even if its DLC and you have to buy a remix for a dollar, that could make a big difference. Or have more "hits". You could argue "Jump Up Superstar" helped Odyssey as the song reached the top of the iTunes chart. More singles can bring awareness to the game. Imagine is all of the Remixes were hit songs. Or, alternatively, if there were special Nintendo remixes like "Jump Up Superstar."

I don't see more advertising changing the series fate. I think just focusing on its strengths and bringing new ideas that can appeal to an oversees market.
I think the difference is that an ad with Beyonce, or a hypothetical A-list artist DLC, would still be advertising towards a casual audience. While that might have been a smart idea in the DS days, I think RH should be marketed (not targeted, but definitely advertised) towards a more hardcore audience. I think that's where the Switch's audience lies and that's really the audience that needs to discover RH. Casual fans are fickle and even with all the casual-oriented market, RH is a very hard sell to casual Western audiences due to its incredibly Japanese quirkiness. Towards a hardcore audience more used to those things? There might be a niche there.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think the difference is that an ad with Beyonce, or a hypothetical A-list artist DLC, would still be advertising towards a casual audience. While that might have been a smart idea in the DS days, I think RH should be marketed (not targeted, but definitely advertised) towards a more hardcore audience. I think that's where the Switch's audience lies and that's really the audience that needs to discover RH. Casual fans are fickle and even with all the casual-oriented market, RH is a very hard sell to casual Western audiences due to its incredibly Japanese quirkiness. Towards a hardcore audience more used to those things? There might be a niche there.
Uhh, casual vs hardcore is too simplistic a way to look at it. What is casual? Is it someone who owns a Switch and plays Mario Kart and Mario Party or Grandma who doesn't own anything (which Nintendo tried to appeal to). Same for hardcore. Is a guy who buys every Call of Duty game less hardcore than a guy with 400 hours in Xenoblade? It doesn't really define who the games appeal toward since there are so many different kinds of consumers.

Music games are hard to find a specific market because, well, everyone likes music but what kind is another story. Now you have that in game form. I mention having western musicans make the music because one of the reasons Guitar Hero was a run away hit was because it had songs people actually wanted. Japanese Rhythm games would suffer because they had this overplayed 90s songlist and maybe some odd classical music because it was cheap to get. Guitar Hero had Deep Purple, David Bowie, Ozzy, Queen, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, ect. It had artist people care about. So bringing western artist or at least having more of a western style will help.

To your point, that it should appeal to more diehard users, the way to do that is to use people known more in video games. Jake Kaufmann would be one good example. But even having more artist involved that people know may help. No one in the west knows who Tsunku is and it may be a big reason it does so well in Japan but suffers abroad.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would love a Rhythm Heaven character- especially musically based, I would gravitate immediately gravitate towards this character.

However, I want to own a RH game first. Somehow I never got one.
I await one on the Switch. Maybe a Warioware crossover.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I would love a Rhythm Heaven character- especially musically based, I would gravitate immediately gravitate towards this character.

However, I want to own a RH game first. Somehow I never got one.
I await one on the Switch. Maybe a Warioware crossover.
Megamix is on the 3DS eshop. Worth looking into

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
After the news in the Nintendo Direct yesterday, I think we can conclude Rhythm Heaven has somewhat of a bigger chance than before the Direct. I hope it's an idea Sakurai still wants to realize. We are waiting much too long for Rhythm Heaven content now (even a stage or more music than 3 tracks would make me happy!). Since the DLC after the Fighter Pass may be non-third party, and Sakurai said something about bringing worlds together, I can imagine Sakurai wanting to bring a new first party universe to Smash Ultimate. The cards are on ARMS or Rhythm Heaven for me then. With my personal preference by FAR for Rhythm Heaven. Keep on dreaming until Smash DLC is fully over!

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I think the biggest way RH could get into smash at this point, is if they promote it with a new game AND smash dlc. It'd be a win-win for everyone,

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
well, for all that is worth, i think that rythm heaven rep is likelier than say, bandana dee, or maybe rex, mostly cause is a "new universe", which i think is decent news... and seeing all the different movesets i'm pretty sure that the concensus is for the character to be a game and watch esque character that brings different minigames in teh moveset, rather than based in one particular character.

Whatever is teh result, i would atually love if wrestler and reporter are featured in the smash attacks :0

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Since most of my wanted characters come from already represented franchises, the "new universes" thing concerns me a bit, though it at least brings me hope for a Rhythm Heaven character, since RH has never got major content in Smash so far...

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
RH is the biggest Nintendo series not represented with a stage nor music with four games and it still being a ongoing series. I'm curious to see if it can make the cut this time around.

Top Bottom