• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rhythm Heaven General - Let's BAND together!

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Marshal isn't a spirit. There are 9 RH spirits I found. There might be more.

1. The Wandering Samurai
  2. Sick Beats Doctor
  3. Munchy Monk
  4. Reporter & Wrestler
  5. Baxter & Forthington
  6. Wandering Samurai (Rhythm Heaven Fever)
  7. Sumo Brothers
  8. Karate Joe
  9. The Chorus Kids

https://pastebin.com/NCi8Af0N heres the list if you wanna look for more.

None of them are story characters.
Looking at the list you linked again, why are Karate Joe and Chorus Kids separated from the rest of the Rhythm Heaven spirits? Is this the order the data is organized in-game? They’re in a weird spot.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found some more off-placed ones. I thought those two were a special case haha.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Looking at the list you linked again, why are Karate Joe and Chorus Kids separated from the rest of the Rhythm Heaven spirits? Is this the order the data is organized in-game? They’re in a weird spot.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found some more off-placed ones. I thought those two were a special case haha.
for the order of teh list, seems that they planned a set ammount of spirits (the ones that are orderd by franchise) and once everything was ready, they started adding more spirits in any order as much time they had.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
Well here's something spoilerish but...

There's only 3 Rhythm Heaven tracks in the game... 2 of those are the ones that were in the Miiverse stage (Blue Birds and Monkey Watch), and the 3rd one is the one we already knew, Fruit Basket 2. Which is like, a song from each game? Excluding the GBA one of course...

This is extremely dissapointing to me :( I was hoping we would at least get a handful of new songs, but nope, its just 3 and 2 from the last game... They aren't even original remixes either, so no real extra work went into adding them. Even Elektroplankton got a new remix, although I guess it makes sense since their stage came back (Still think its a wierd decision to add that one back).

So... since there is no Marshal or Tibby spirit, they COULD be a DLC character and hopefully come with a stage with new music, but I'm not very hopeful of that... If it ends up with no RH DLC and we only get stuck with 3 songs this game its gonna be a really bad blow.

I mean, couldn't we at least get 3 Remix 10's from the games? It would technically include various minigames in it and it wouldn't have been as bad. Oh how I wish the RH title medley from the final remix of Megamix would've gotten its own track and a new original remix, it would've been so amazing.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Well here's something spoilerish but...

There's only 3 Rhythm Heaven tracks in the game... 2 of those are the ones that were in the Miiverse stage (Blue Birds and Monkey Watch), and the 3rd one is the one we already knew, Fruit Basket 2. Which is like, a song from each game? Excluding the GBA one of course...

This is extremely dissapointing to me :( I was hoping we would at least get a handful of new songs, but nope, its just 3 and 2 from the last game... They aren't even original remixes either, so no real extra work went into adding them. Even Elektroplankton got a new remix, although I guess it makes sense since their stage came back (Still think its a wierd decision to add that one back).

So... since there is no Marshal or Tibby spirit, they COULD be a DLC character and hopefully come with a stage with new music, but I'm not very hopeful of that... If it ends up with no RH DLC and we only get stuck with 3 songs this game its gonna be a really bad blow.

I mean, couldn't we at least get 3 Remix 10's from the games? It would technically include various minigames in it and it wouldn't have been as bad. Oh how I wish the RH title medley from the final remix of Megamix would've gotten its own track and a new original remix, it would've been so amazing.
Issue with just adding remixes might be the length of some, smash cuts down songs around 3 minutes.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Thought i'd bring up a little theory based on something seen in-game.
Theres an image of all online profile icons, and at the bottom is ones for Diskun, Lip, Chorus Kids, Devilish Brain training and Shantae. Honestly I believe these might have been scrapped assists as Lip has a mii costume like Isaac and Vince do, Devilish brain training might've been planned to change design but left as is and the fact theres Shantae at all makes me think they got her but too late to be added as an assist. Diskun I imagine was chosen as a wacky retro thing like Sheriff since they havent referenced it since melee where it was a trophy. This just leaves Chorus Kids which have had quite a weird history with smash, being rumored with gematsu, being a trophy on 3DS, coming back as a spirit and being an Ace spirit this game signifying importance compared to other ones which are usually novice.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
Thought i'd bring up a little theory based on something seen in-game.
Theres an image of all online profile icons, and at the bottom is ones for Diskun, Lip, Chorus Kids, Devilish Brain training and Shantae. Honestly I believe these might have been scrapped assists as Lip has a mii costume like Isaac and Vince do, Devilish brain training might've been planned to change design but left as is and the fact theres Shantae at all makes me think they got her but too late to be added as an assist. Diskun I imagine was chosen as a wacky retro thing like Sheriff since they havent referenced it since melee where it was a trophy. This just leaves Chorus Kids which have had quite a weird history with smash, being rumored with gematsu, being a trophy on 3DS, coming back as a spirit and being an Ace spirit this game signifying importance compared to other ones which are usually novice.
From what I've heard, you can unlock more online profile icons, those just happened to be the ones the player who took that screenshot had unlocked at the moment. Which makes sense since its just reusing art from spirits to make icons.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
From what I've heard, you can unlock more online profile icons, those just happened to be the ones the player who took that screenshot had unlocked at the moment. Which makes sense since its just reusing art from spirits to make icons.
We know all the icons now. You can see them here. Every series has extras that use in-game spirits, but at the very bottom of the list are those five. It's strange.

Last edited:

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Those five icons are just the icons for characters in universes without fighter representation that aren’t assist trophies. So yes, I think it’s extremely neat that the Chorus Kids were one of the five chosen.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Those five icons are just the icons for characters in universes without fighter representation that aren’t assist trophies. So yes, I think it’s extremely neat that the Chorus Kids were one of the five chosen.
But brain training is an assist, so adding it to the bottom for that reason would be strange.

Trambo

Smash Cadet
Imagine if the more you juggled with chorus kids, They would sing a higher note on each hit lol

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
Huh that is interesting, out of all the characters from Rhythm Heaven, including mascot-like characters like Tibby and Marshal, they chose Chorus Kids to represent the series in profile icons? It really does seem like Sakurai still wants to push those as the series mascot. However, its probably bad for their chances as DLC if we get some, but there's a chance for Tibby, maybe, if there is a RH port

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
But brain training is an assist, so adding it to the bottom for that reason would be strange.
That’s Devil Dr Kawashima, the normal Dr Kawashima is an assist and is located where all the other assist trophies are.

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
So a rhythm Heaven Character would totally fit the bill of "characters you wouldn't expect" Right?

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
So a rhythm Heaven Character would totally fit the bill of "characters you wouldn't expect" Right?
I used to think a Rhythm Heaven character would be guaranteed for the base roster, but I have no clue what Nintendo has in store for us regarding the DLC fighters. Now I genuinely have no idea whether I should be expecting a RH rep or not.
In any case I feel like we shouldn't take things too literally or over-analyse PR statements too much.

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
I used to think a Rhythm Heaven character would be guaranteed for the base roster, but I have no clue what Nintendo has in store for us regarding the DLC fighters. Now I genuinely have no idea whether I should be expecting a RH rep or not.
In any case I feel like we shouldn't take things too literally or over-analyse PR statements too much.
Speaking of over analyzing, I decided to make a video about DLC stuff! Hopefully I can build some buzz for Rhythm Heaven.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
long time ago, I played a rather obscure game called Gurumin.
It's an adventure game that mixes RPG elements with platforming elements, it's vaguely similar to a Zelda game (gameplay wise).

It's interesting for the way how the game manages critical hits:
Actually, this is true in every version of the game, but only the PC version has an indicator for it.
The critical hits are rhythm based.
You have to attack with the correct timing in order to do a critical hit, and the timing changes depending on the music that plays in the background.

Honestly, the concept is very good on paper, but in the game it was pretty confusing and not very well implemented... mostly because of the lack of feedback (sometimes a move is laggy and it's unclear if the game considers the moment when you push the attack button or the moment when the move hits, and so).
The feel while playing the game was that the critical hits were coming out at random.
But I'm sure that with some focus on making it more intuitive and easier, the concept can be improved and better implemented in a game.

Why I'm saying it here... well, pretty obvious.
What do you think about applying this to a Rhythm Heaven character in Smash?
As a big fan of Karate Joe, I think that Karate Joe would be the perfect character to use this type of gimmick: a character with a simple moveset so you can focus on the rhythm gimmick while playing (but it can apply to anyone, really).

It would be very hard to balance it, because the character would become stronger or weaker depending on the pace of the song playing in the background; there is also the Pikmin stage and the environmental sounds... well, during that "song" just put a metronome sound.
As unbalanced as it may be, It would be hilarious to see tier lists where the rhythm heaven character using this gimmick is placed in a variable position depending on the bpm of the background music :grin:

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Have there been any juicy rhythm Heaven DLC rumors lately? I'm losing hope for our boys.

D

Deleted member

Have you seen the Rythm Heaven reanimated project that some artists online are working on?

It is looking promising.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
The WarioWare Gold trailers for the characters have had at least one reference to Rhythm Heaven hidden away in their videos. And they are all new renders too. Kind of gives me hope for a Rhythm Heaven Switch game coming out soon which will increase the likelihood of a DLC pick.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I noticed that Tibby, the protagonist of Megamix, does not have a spirit in Ultimate, but the Sumo Brothers do. What reason could they have to include a Spirit of a single Megamix minigame, but not the character that accompanies the player throughout the entire game?

I find it questionable that the Sumo spirit is the only Megamix representation in the base game, with not even one new Rhythm Heaven track added, remix or otherwise. My first thought was that it must be because one of the packs in the Fighter Pass will be Rhythm Heaven themed, and Tibby will be the fighter in that pack.

On the other hand, Rhythm Heaven music from previous Smash games is sorted under Other, implying that Rhythm Heaven won't be a part of the DLC. It's entirely possible that Tibby's spirit will just be added as part of a free event like the three new Mario spirits.

I can't say for sure what Sakurai is thinking without reading the codenames he assigned to the mystery four DLC fighters. What I can say for sure is this: if Lycanroc is one of the Fighter Pass newcomers and 20% of the pass is more sodding Pokémon, I will flip every table in a ten-mile radius.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I wanted to discuss this after seeing the Grinch Leak, but there was one character that sorta changes my whole perspective of how the Chorus Kids could work.

What if, instead of playing as the Chorus Kids, you played as the CONDUCTOR. You would have the Chorus Kids follow the conductor around the stage, and the Conductor signals the Kids where to attack. If you time the attack button right (let’s say, right when the opponent gets hit) the Conductor would signal another Kid to do a follow up attack, and the Conductor can do this up to three times for a single attack.

And some of their specials can be pulled from other mini games, like a throwing items from the assortment of mini games that involve hitting a thrown item at the right time. But those are my ideas.

I can't say for sure what Sakurai is thinking without reading the codenames he assigned to the mystery four DLC fighters. What I can say for sure is this: if Lycanroc is one of the Fighter Pass newcomers and 20% of the pass is more sodding Pokémon, I will flip every table in a ten-mile radius.
Why did you bring Lycanroc up in a Rhythm Heaven thread? This something pop up to make you say this?

Last edited:

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
All this talk of spirits got me thinking on what a Tibby spirit would be like!

Character: Small Pink Donkey Kong
Stage: Omega Magicant

The character has increased defense, avoids conflict but loves to taunt

Is quickly joined by a gigantic stationary Isabelle with the golden power up!

Last edited:

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
All this talk of spirits got me thinking on what a Tibby spirit would be like!

Character: Small Pink Donkey Kong
Stage: Omega Magicant

The character has increased defense, avoids conflict but loves to taunt

Is quickly joined by a gigantic stationary Isabelle with the golden power up!
Oh, & don't forget about having the Pink Tiny Donkey Kong deal damage when falling. Need to reference all of his enormous falls somehow. Why not also, once he's obtained, have his effect be Falling Immunity aswell (if he's a Support of course) :b:!

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
You know, with all this talk about the DLC codename...
"Brave" is a kinda cruddy codename if it translates directly to the name of the protagonist in Dragon's Quest or whatever. You know who may have shown newfound signs of bravery by the ending of their game??

Tibby. When he's talking to his mom bout doing stuff he hasn't before or something.

I can dream but it'd be really funny if this character turns out to not be a Square character. Tibby manages to take the sole spot of a RH character who has a strong STORY presence in the series (who could be coming back in a future game for all we know; he already cameo'd in Warioware Gold) and is contextually the perfect vessel to be rhythm game referencing machine as the popular idea is. Rhythm Heaven might have a good popularity in Japan at least (is that the case? Someone please tell me) and we already have the biggest amount of spirits for a series without any greater AT/Mii/etc. representation yet still missing some important candidates.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
As someone who has no knowledge of Rhythm Heaven - how prevalent are Baxter and Forthington? I ask because I’ve been entertaining the idea of the two of them being a duo fighter armed with badminton rackets.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
As someone who has no knowledge of Rhythm Heaven - how prevalent are Baxter and Forthington? I ask because I’ve been entertaining the idea of the two of them being a duo fighter armed with badminton rackets.
Well they only have the one minigame of theirs (+sequels/remixes), though you could also say that of the Chorus Kids.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I actually think the barista dog would be fun to play as if he worked as a summoner type character.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
This is what I mean by the WarioWare trailers referencing Rhythm Heaven. There are tons of references in this video. It also gives us Rhythm Heaven lore too, I know, crazy.

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
This is what I mean by the WarioWare trailers referencing Rhythm Heaven. There are tons of references in this video. It also gives us Rhythm Heaven lore too, I know, crazy.

I caught karate joe at the end there! Also the sneaky spirit is in Ashley's short, the wondering samurai is in Kat and Ana's short, the Dj School guys are in the volt's short, and Tibby has a plush in mona's opening cutscene!

Actually does this imply the other Kung fu Ball kid was actually mona?

Last edited:

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Actually does this imply the other Kung fu Ball kid was actually mona?
I don’t believe so since Mona have completely different coloured irises than Kung Fu Ball Girl, though then why exactly is she in the trailer anyway? Feel abit random having her & Joe in there, if there isn’t a connection.

Top Bottom