• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rhythm Heaven General - Let's BAND together!

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Either Marshall, Chorus Kids, Karate Joe, the Pink Guy from the 3ds game or even the Monkey duo from the Wii version, I just want Rhythm Heaven representation in Smash.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...
Well this puts things in a new perspective, on one hand this means the roster wasn't decided on around when megamix was released, but on the other hand I think Nintendo corporate would be interested in raising the profile of this series.

And since it's Nintendo deciding it means the the relatively small amount of requests for an RH rep wouldn't matter as much as long as Nintendo wanted it.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
Ok this isn't unlikely but... Wario Ware gold came out a few months ago... What if... Rhythm Heaven switch... and then... smasher

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I made this video mainly for the Adeleine thread, but I think it's kinda relevant here too.

It's a compilation of my best microgames in Wario Ware DIY.
At 2:04 there is the one involving Rhythm Heaven:

It's one of the most complex microgames I made, it was hard especially due to the limitations of the editor, but I managed to make it work.
Honestly I can't remember the details, it was many years ago.

To stay in topic, I think that Built to Scale is the best option for a Rhythm Heaven stage, unless they go with a generic transforming stage with many minigames like the Wario Ware one.

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Did some alts for Bandana Dee and Geno you can see on those threads, but here's one for Karate Joe, another of my most wanted characters!

(from left to right) 2 is player 2 from Fever's multiplayer Karate Man, 3 is Karate Man (Tengoku), 4 is Karate Man 2 (Fever), 5 is Karate Man 2 (DS), 6 is Remix 6 (DS), 7 is Remix 7 (Fever), and 8 is based on Karate Man Senior

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Did some alts for Bandana Dee and Geno you can see on those threads, but here's one for Karate Joe, another of my most wanted characters!

(from left to right) 2 is player 2 from Fever's multiplayer Karate Man, 3 is Karate Man (Tengoku), 4 is Karate Man 2 (Fever), 5 is Karate Man 2 (DS), 6 is Remix 6 (DS), 7 is Remix 7 (Fever), and 8 is based on Karate Man Senior
Now this, this is beautiful.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Kinda sad to see how little posts Rhythm Heaven has here compared to other "popular" smash picks. Smash has had a weird treatment with Rhythm Heaven, having a smash run enemy, making it the only one with no character to match, unused fighter emblem data in smash 4 (swapnote had unused stage data which has now become an assist), gematsu leak probably getting a lot of people into knowing Rhythm Heaven, no assist in either 4 or Ultimate and now having at LEAST 6 Spirits which is a large amount for a non-playable franchise. Character wise who i'd like in, it used to be mainly Karate Joe but with the spirit and megamix happening, I believe Tibby would be a good fit as a general rep all character plus he's currently not a spirit so that helps even if just a little. As for if there will be DLC character for RH, I doubt it, but its always good to have some hope.

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Kinda sad to see how little posts Rhythm Heaven has here compared to other "popular" smash picks. Smash has had a weird treatment with Rhythm Heaven, having a smash run enemy, making it the only one with no character to match, unused fighter emblem data in smash 4 (swapnote had unused stage data which has now become an assist), gematsu leak probably getting a lot of people into knowing Rhythm Heaven, no assist in either 4 or Ultimate and now having at LEAST 6 Spirits which is a large amount for a non-playable franchise. Character wise who i'd like in, it used to be mainly Karate Joe but with the spirit and megamix happening, I believe Tibby would be a good fit as a general rep all character plus he's currently not a spirit so that helps even if just a little. As for if there will be DLC character for RH, I doubt it, but its always good to have some hope.
The problem is that not enough people have played rhythm heaven, because if they did they would be just as crazy as we are lol

Also I've heard around that there are people who don't like Tibby? Is it true that people hate this precious boy?
Tibby.png

Minik

Smash Journeyman
The problem is that not enough people have played rhythm heaven, because if they did they would be just as crazy as we are lol

Also I've heard around that there are people who don't like Tibby? Is it true that people hate this precious boy?
View attachment 178068
I think people would be fine with him once they see him in smash doing stuff, especially if the moves are references.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I think that Samurai Drummer is another potential rep.
Nobody knows him because he only appeared in the Japan-only first game on GBA (excluding a couple of cameos), but he was the mascotte of the first game just like Tibby is the mascotte of Megamix. Because of this, he can also benefit of the "classic" status, being the one from the original game, where the series started.

My problem with those characters is that they don't represent the whole series but only a specific game, while characters such as Karate Joe, the Rhythm Girl and Chorus Kids/Marshal would represent the whole series just fine, since they are recurring characters.

Anyway, I think that Samurai Drummer would work better than Tibby because he has been associated with MAN-Ks, and he can implement them in the moveset. MAN-Ks are recurring in the series and very recognizable (regular monkeys are even more recognizable, but Rhythm Girl is a spirit right?); they are featured in several different minigames, so it would make sense to use them to represent the whole series.
Maybe he can have a costume where he's dressed in red and has regular monkeys instead of MAN-Ks, as a reference to Rhythm Girl... it would be a bit weird but why not.

But at this point, it's not important who, it would be cool to have any Rhythm Heaven character.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I feel like Sakurai hasn't put in RH yet because putting rhythm into a fighting game character would be difficult, so here's my idea on how it could work:

Whichever character it is, all of their moves are multihit. If the first attack hits, then a drumbeat of some kind will play (or all of the hits before the last hit make a beat) and pressing A/B on the final hit will make it deal a lot of damage... and missing the timing makes it deal 1% damage and 0 hitstun/knockback.

For example, a move could be a clappy trio upwards clap. If it hits, it combos into a second clap (either the character does the clap themself, or summons someone else to do it or something) and then on the third clap is where it does most of the damage. A move like this could be pretty much the same as Link's up smash, but with the unique gimmick of rhythm for the final hit.

Or, for recovery, it could be similar where most of the distance comes from the final part of the move, and failing the input makes recovery terrible. Something like Pikachu's quick attack, for example. A good move for this could be a Karate man combo, where starting the move freezes you in the air as you do the combo, and releasing the button makes you do an uppercut, sending you farther upward the closer you were to timing the release. If you didn't hold it at all, a light tap of up-b would be a quick uppercut that doesn't go very far, but can be useful for recovering quicker.

A full-ish moveset in the spoiler using this gimmick.

I'm basing this off of that one idea where it was Karate Joe with a monkey on his back, and possibly like hidden other people for "Rhythm Troupe" or whatever.

Every time you successfully time a Rhythm-based move, Karate Joe will smile at the camera to show you that your timing was perfect. This functions like Incineroar's attack taunts, and is cancellable.

Rolls are based off of the Night Walk roll in Fever.

Jab- A fairly standard jab, no rhythm gimmick. Specifically, a "Hit 3!"
Side tilt- Lock Step! A quick move that can combo into itself once, and then combo into other things.
Down tilt- Tap Troupe, a quick step with very small range, making a small shockwave on the ground so the hitbox isn't just the foot. Can combo into itself a few times. Works similarly to Ness's down tilt. The knockback angle is slightly downward and forward, making it a great option to use with Down B to send the ball offstage.
Up tilt- Monkey Watch, the monkey on Joe's back comes up to high five the air.

Nair- Cheer Reader, the monkey hands a book to Joe, and he spins it in a circle for a multihit covering most of his hitbox.
Fair- And, Pose! Joe tilts his body to the right, with a tiny sweetspot on his fist.
Uair- Whoa, you go big guy! 2 hit attack, arm flex forward and then up.
Bair- The monkey slaps a tamborine behind you.
Dair- The monkey screeches as Joe primes up to step downward three times. (Tap trial)

Up Smash - Clappy Trio, Joe does the first clap after charging, the monkey does a second clap, and pressing A does the third clap, extra damage/knockback for good timing
Side Smash - "P-P-P-PUNCH!" The combo itself would be more like a "Hit 4!" in appearance, but with the sounds from Rhythm Dancer. Pressing A on the final hit makes it a pretty potent kill move.
Down Smash - Turnip pull, releasing the charge makes Joe stomp the ground, which brings up a turnip, and pressing A launches the turnip forward a few feet into the enemy. The strongest part is the punch, not the turnip. Timing better does more damage and sends the turnip farther.

Up Special- Karate Man Combo! On the ground, this doesn't gain any height, and has pretty good damage/knockback, releasing the button early ends the combo earlier, but to get the full damage you have to time it perfectly. Too early and you'll get less combo hits, too late and the move won't combo. In midair, this move halts your momentum, and the uppercut makes you rise. More vertical distance for better timing.
Side Special- Punch, Kick! Hold the button and a barrel will show up, then release to kick the barrel, sending a bomb towards your enemy. The bomb travels farther with better timing.
Down Special- Space Soccer, pressing down b spawns a soccer ball, and there can only be one on-screen at a time. Pressing down b again while the ball is near your knees will launch it upward a bit. Any move can hit this ball and give it momentum, similar to DDD's gordos but they'd move much slower. Down B hits completely stop it's momentum and send it upward. The more times it's been hit, the stronger it is when it hits someone. If you hold down the button, Joe will do the "High, kick toe!" thing and send it straight forward.
Neutral Special- Rockers, Joe pulls out a guitar and plays it. This move creates a shockwave around Joe that causes a lot of (electric) hitstun. The hitbox is only out for a very small time, so you have to time it really well, but it can be combo'd into things pretty easily if it hits.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
John Dylan Smith is just here to cause trouble, as he did in the General Discussion thread. Do not accept him as a supporter. Do not allow him to feel welcome in this thread.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
glad seeing you guys finally team up into a general thread.

I think a rythm heaven DLC have decent chance of happening, although we have 0 real hard proof... there is also 0 real hard proof on teh contrary.. and i feel that Rythm heaven kinda aligns with both the format of the DLC (character stage and music) and with the "let's appeal to broader demographics" vibe that nintendo is kinda giving me on the DLC.

Secretly rooting for tap dancer girl, but honestly anyone would be rad.

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Looks like some of the potential Rhythm heaven reps like Tibby and Tap trial Girl still aren't spirits, they seem to be the only potential 1st party DLC characters that haven't shown up yet lol

Probably doesn't mean much though

Minik

Smash Journeyman
All the RH spirits might be based on actual games in there so that might get Tibby out of that. But at the same time, Tibby is brand new and was the mascot of megamix, like Marshal was for fever and he had a trophy in 4.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Sakurai hasn't put in RH yet because putting rhythm into a fighting game character would be difficult, so here's my idea on how it could work:

Whichever character it is, all of their moves are multihit. If the first attack hits, then a drumbeat of some kind will play (or all of the hits before the last hit make a beat) and pressing A/B on the final hit will make it deal a lot of damage... and missing the timing makes it deal 1% damage and 0 hitstun/knockback.

For example, a move could be a clappy trio upwards clap. If it hits, it combos into a second clap (either the character does the clap themself, or summons someone else to do it or something) and then on the third clap is where it does most of the damage. A move like this could be pretty much the same as Link's up smash, but with the unique gimmick of rhythm for the final hit.

Or, for recovery, it could be similar where most of the distance comes from the final part of the move, and failing the input makes recovery terrible. Something like Pikachu's quick attack, for example. A good move for this could be a Karate man combo, where starting the move freezes you in the air as you do the combo, and releasing the button makes you do an uppercut, sending you farther upward the closer you were to timing the release. If you didn't hold it at all, a light tap of up-b would be a quick uppercut that doesn't go very far, but can be useful for recovering quicker.[/SPOILER]
About that first bit, Marth/Roy/Lucina/Chrom's Dancing Blade and Incineroar's Side-B both basically requires rhythm, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
About that first bit, Marth/Roy/Lucina/Chrom's Dancing Blade and Incineroar's Side-B both basically requires rhythm, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Could argue the main offender of that is gone with dancing blade being sped up rapidly now, but there is still stuff that requires timed press yeah, wii fit down b is an important one.

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
What, there is a final list? Where can I see it? I'm interested...

there's a stream at goygoy2 on twitch going through the game files. adeline and porky were really the only other notable first party exclusions from the spirit list, that I can think of at least

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
This is incredibly odd. Tibby is the main character of Megamix. Why would he be discluded?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Tibby getting in would be strange. Personally, I would still love Chorus Kids in over Tibby because the characters are more unconventional, but if Tibby happens, ehhhh....

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Tibby getting in would be strange. Personally, I would still love Chorus Kids in over Tibby because the characters are more unconventional, but if Tibby happens, ehhhh....
I think any Rhythm Heaven rep would be unconventional! Honestly I worry that the chorus kids would and up being too gimmicky if they got in

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Tibby not being a spirit really isn't that surprising if you ask me, several characters from other series are not spirits despite being the main antagonist of a popular game, like a few Kirby villains. Let's be honest, the story of Megamix was kinda just there to be there, it wasn't winning any awards. They'd much rather put in characters from the individual games than a character like Tibby.

Do we know if the Barista is a spirit? They're a similar case with Tibby.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Tibby not being a spirit really isn't that surprising if you ask me, several characters from other series are not spirits despite being the main antagonist of a popular game, like a few Kirby villains. Let's be honest, the story of Megamix was kinda just there to be there, it wasn't winning any awards. They'd much rather put in characters from the individual games than a character like Tibby.

Do we know if the Barista is a spirit? They're a similar case with Tibby.
I think its strange after Marshal had a trophy in 4. Also isn't it only Taranza who isn't a spirit at this point?
Edit: Also I doubt Barista would be one anyway cause they're never used in promo stuff or had a trophy in 4.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I think its strange after Marshal had a trophy in 4. Also isn't it only Taranza who isn't a spirit at this point?
Edit: Also I doubt Barista would be one anyway cause they're never used in promo stuff or had a trophy in 4.
So how many Rhythm Heaven Spirits are there total?
Marshal isn't a spirit. There are 9 RH spirits I found. There might be more.

1. The Wandering Samurai
  2. Sick Beats Doctor
  3. Munchy Monk
  4. Reporter & Wrestler
  5. Baxter & Forthington
  6. Wandering Samurai (Rhythm Heaven Fever)
  7. Sumo Brothers
  8. Karate Joe
  9. The Chorus Kids

https://pastebin.com/NCi8Af0N heres the list if you wanna look for more.

None of them are story characters.

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Marshal isn't a spirit. There are 9 RH spirits I found. There might be more.

1. The Wandering Samurai
  2. Sick Beats Doctor
  3. Munchy Monk
  4. Reporter & Wrestler
  5. Baxter & Forthington
  6. Wandering Samurai (Rhythm Heaven Fever)
  7. Sumo Brothers
  8. Karate Joe
  9. The Chorus Kids

https://pastebin.com/NCi8Af0N heres the list if you wanna look for more.

None of them are story characters.
Hmm, do any of the other un-repped series even come close? Arms has 5 from what I can tell.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Pretty impressing that the Wandering Samurai ended up getting two Spirits, though I do wonder which version the non-Fever one is going to be?

Top Bottom