• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
but relevance doesnt always matter to smash, i mean would sakurai even know what they were working on back when he was picking the characters for the pass? it would have been sometime last year that the characters were chosen and as i said before it doesnt sound like sakurai knows what goes on at monolith before the official reveal. so odds are that as far as sakurai was aware rex was the most relevant character at the time when he was choosing
It does though.
Sakurai himself stated that Robin wouldn't have gotten in if another Fire Emblem game had been slated to come out between Ultimate's project plan and release.
Also Nintendo picks the characters and they do know what goes on at Monolith, though I also wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai at least has a vague idea.

Xelha

Smash Rookie
This is bad logic, surely if Monolith release a new Xenoblade next year (Which honestly, their new project doesn't really look like anyway) then that would put Rex in the same position as Elma was in in base game Ultimate.
Or.....Rex could still be the main character for the next Xenoblade game. Or Monolithsofts next game isn't a Xenoblade one, so he'd still be relevant enough.

Elma's game sadly was not the breakout success like XC2 was. I feel like she has a better chance when we get XCX-2.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It does though.
Sakurai himself stated that Robin wouldn't have gotten in if another Fire Emblem game had been slated to come out between Ultimate's project plan and release.
Also Nintendo picks the characters and they do know what goes on at Monolith, though I also wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai at least has a vague idea.
yeah nintendo picks the characters and so far its been their big switch titles and hugely popular characters/series/games also terry which would apply to rex. nintendo probably arent just suggesting one character at a time theyve probably suggested every big switch title there is upcoming and already out. really it all comes down to sakurai and that guy's logic makes no sense

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
yeah nintendo picks the characters and so far its been their big switch titles and hugely popular characters/series/games also terry which would apply to rex. nintendo probably arent just suggesting one character at a time theyve probably suggested every big switch title there is upcoming and already out. really it all comes down to sakurai and that guy's logic makes no sense
Two issues here:
1) In this hypothetical situation where we get Xenoblade 3 next year, then Xenoblade 2 will be nowhere near as important to Nintendo as you are implying.
2) It's true that Sakurai has a veto, but it's also true that he hasn't used it yet. So, legal issues notwithstanding, we can probably assume that the 11 characters we are getting were Nintendo's first choices.
I don't think we are getting Xenoblade 3, maybe we were supposed to get Monoliths new IP next year but with COVID I imagine that will be delayed.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Two issues here:
1) In this hypothetical situation where we get Xenoblade 3 next year, then Xenoblade 2 will be nowhere near as important to Nintendo as you are implying.
2) It's true that Sakurai has a veto, but it's also true that he hasn't used it yet. So, legal issues notwithstanding, we can probably assume that the 11 characters we are getting were Nintendo's first choices.
I don't think we are getting Xenoblade 3, maybe we were supposed to get Monoliths new IP next year but with COVID I imagine that will be delayed.
actually we dont know any of that, how do we know whats more important to nintendo? and what evidence to we have that sakurai hasnt veto anyone? no where in anything hes ever said says that any of these characters were nintendos first choice. we know so little of how it works for all we know sakurai has rejected hundreds of ideas

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
actually we dont know any of that, how do we know whats more important to nintendo? and what evidence to we have that sakurai hasnt veto anyone? no where in anything hes ever said says that any of these characters were nintendos first choice. we know so little of how it works for all we know sakurai has rejected hundreds of ideas
It makes no sense to promote Xenoblade 2 in the same year that Xenoblade 3 comes out, it distracts from the new product and focuses the customer's attention on an older game while ignoring the newer one.
Sakurai said he didn't use it. He does contradict himself sometimes when it comes to describing his thought process he doesn't outright lie.
Also are we putting a bit too much energy into arguing about Rex's chances in an extremely unlikely hypothetical situation?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It makes no sense to promote Xenoblade 2 in the same year that Xenoblade 3 comes out, it distracts from the new product and focuses the customer's attention on an older game while ignoring the newer one.
Sakurai said he didn't use it. He does contradict himself sometimes when it comes to describing his thought process he doesn't outright lie.
Also are we putting a bit too much energy into arguing about Rex's chances in an extremely unlikely hypothetical situation?
yes we are, although to be fair most of smash speculation is based on hypotheticals. and would like to say theres nothing to say any of these characters are promo picks

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
do all you counterarguments boil down to "this is what i think nintendo does"? cuase thats what all your arguments read as.
All your responses have been a variation of "No, Nintendo doesn't do that". Every response here has been you trying to disprove whatever somebody says, you might as well say "everything's a mystery, no guarantees for anything" because there's no joy in you always trying to disprove everything I say.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
All your responses have been a variation of "No, Nintendo doesn't do that". Every response here has been you trying to disprove whatever somebody says, you might as well say "everything's a mystery, no guarantees for anything" because there's no joy in you always trying to disprove everything I say.
i have no memory of this debate, can you give me quick summary of your point?

edit: now i remember you thought kos-mos was some how an obstacle for rex cause they happened to be made by the same company. also disproving what another person is saying is what a debate is. dont blame me if youve run out of points

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
This is bad logic, surely if Monolith release a new Xenoblade next year (Which honestly, their new project doesn't really look like anyway) then that would put Rex in the same position as Elma was in in base game Ultimate.
It...really doesn't. Between the time of Xenoblade Chronicles X and Ultimate there was an entire console generation shift in which Nintendo stopped supporting the console Xenoblade Chronicles X was on. Meanwhile, nothing like this has occurred between the time of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Fighters Pass 2. XC2 is readily available on the same system as Ultimate. It got a Korean language update just a few months ago. Nintendo still promotes it despite it not even being the latest entry. XC2 doesn't face the same risk of being "replaced" and you can bet Nintendo and Monolith will continue cross-promoting it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
More New Year's art.

I.D.

Smash Lord
ive never seen her wear so much
It's actually an official design Monolith made for new year 2019

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's actually an official design Monolith made for new year 2019

whats that got to do with what i was saying?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Rex is currently being rated in the RTC thread.

Feel free to rate him. Remember to give at least two sentences for both chance and want for your scores to be counted.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
If Rex got in, what blades do you think would come with him? They'd probably want at least two blades in order to represent the blade switching mechanic of XC 2. I'd imagine it'd work as a sort of stance change, changing certain moves (probably specials), but not changing the whole moveset like Pokemon Trainer.

Pyra is pretty much guaranteed to come with Rex of course. It'd just be weird for Rex to be in without her. Mythra isn't far behind, being the most logical second blade, and I think the spoiler concerns regarding her could be hidden pretty easily. It's if they wanted three or more blades though, that's where things get more uncertain to me. I think the most likely candidates would be Roc or Nia. The latter is a more important character, but is a major spoiler that can't be hidden easily. But then again, the Xenoblade spirits and Shulk's final smash seems to show Sakurai doesn't worry that much about spoiling anyway.

And any blades beyond those four seem pretty unlikely, bar perhaps an appearance from Pneuma in his final smash. I don't see anyone else making the cut unless they wanted more than three or four blades, which seems very unlikely to me. The only way I could see them appearing would also be in the final smash. Maybe a random combo like Joker's, or maybe just a whole bunch at once like Min-Min's. At that point though, it'd be more likely to feature the other drivers and their primary blades.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
If Rex got in, what blades do you think would come with him? They'd probably want at least two blades in order to represent the blade switching mechanic of XC 2. I'd imagine it'd work as a sort of stance change, changing certain moves (probably specials), but not changing the whole moveset like Pokemon Trainer.
I hope Sakurai gets creative and has Pyra/Mythra, Dromarch and Pandoria as Rex's blades. I know that Dromarch and Pandoria are not Rex's blades but they make sense because of spoiler reasons that can only be understood if you actually play Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Pyra/Mythra were never separate slots and I don't see them being separate slots for Smash Ultimate is Rex utilises the Driver/Blade mechanic for his combat.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
If Rex got in, what blades do you think would come with him? They'd probably want at least two blades in order to represent the blade switching mechanic of
I feel like we'd probably just get Pyra and Mythra. Maybe Roc if we're lucky. BrawlFan1 made an interesting moveset video where Rex uses the three blades I mentioned plus KOS-MOS which I could also see happening.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Again, I doubt they're throwing the fake KOS-MOS into Rex's moveset (yes, she's not the real one, obviously).

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman

Pyra is pretty much guaranteed to come with Rex of course. It'd just be weird for Rex to be in without her. Mythra isn't far behind, being the most logical second blade, and I think the spoiler concerns regarding her could be hidden pretty easily. It's if they wanted three or more blades though, that's where things get more uncertain to me. I think the most likely candidates would be Roc or Nia. The latter is a more important character, but is a major spoiler that can't be hidden easily. But then again, the Xenoblade spirits and Shulk's final smash seems to show Sakurai doesn't worry that much about spoiling anyway.

And any blades beyond those four seem pretty unlikely, bar perhaps an appearance from Pneuma in his final smash. I don't see anyone else making the cut unless they wanted more than three or four blades, which seems very unlikely to me. The only way I could see them appearing would also be in the final smash. Maybe a random combo like Joker's, or maybe just a whole bunch at once like Min-Min's. At that point though, it'd be more likely to feature the other drivers and their primary blades.
I definitely think it’s Rex, Pyra and Mythra. Plus Pneuma in his final smash. That’s it. I think that’s enough. Spirits are your answer to represent other characters. Here’s a list of potential characters for Rex’s Spirit Board:

Pyra
Mythra
Nia
Tora
Poppi a
Morag
Zeke

New:
Gramps
Dromarch
Vandham
Brighid (She will get censored)
Pandoria
Poppi QT
Amalthus
Malos
Jin
Lora
Addam
Pneuma

I.D.

Smash Lord
Rex is currently being rated in the RTC thread.

Feel free to rate him. Remember to give at least two sentences for both chance and want for your scores to be counted.
You honestly should rate Rex way more often because some of those rants are pure comedy gold :laugh:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I love how one user in particular acted like all Rex fans are a blight on humanity just because they had a couple of awful experiences with a few of them and basically said we're all delusional idiots for having a little hope in his chances.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
If Rex gets announced, I could see his reveal trailer being a bit of a role reversal of Sephiroth’s.

We see Dharkon looming over our heroes, ready to attack, when suddenly, a beam of light shoots down from the sky. Our heroes look behind them to find nothing, when suddenly an anchor shot lands near a rock, with Rex and Pyra revealing themselves and Luigi dies from Mythra’s Siren.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Even if they are ludicrously strong at their peak, I wouldn't expect that kind of treatment. It was a bit much anyway.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I love how one user in particular acted like all Rex fans are a blight on humanity just because they had a couple of awful experiences with a few of them and basically said we're all delusional idiots for having a little hope in his chances.
when this dlc cycle is over i dread to think how things may turn in the xenoblade fandom

Luigi dies from Mythra’s Siren.
geez

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I do wish they'd stop making a mockery out of Mario in these things. Though, if is Rex, I doubt they'll have him split Dharkon in two.

Top Bottom