• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
She is, I have a Nia Mii Brawler with the >:3 face
Ah, didn't know that.

you think elma is more likely?
I would definitely rather have her instead of Rex--if nothing else, to increase the chances of Xenoblade Chronicles X coming to the Switch. And the perfect way to increase exposure to the game would be to add Elma in Smash. That said, though, to be completely honest...if the decision was based solely on popularity, then no, I don't think Elma is more likely, since Xenoblade 2 is more popular than Xenoblade X. Xenoblade X, like the Wonderful 101, just came out on the wrong console at the wrong time--and I'd say it more than deserves a second chance. Ergo, if I personally were to choose between Rex and Elma, I'd choose Elma. Again, I seriously doubt we'll get both at this point.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I would definitely rather have her instead of Rex--if nothing else, to increase the chances of Xenoblade Chronicles X coming to the Switch. And the perfect way to increase exposure to the game would be to add Elma in Smash. That said, though, to be completely honest...if the decision was based solely on popularity, then no, I don't think Elma is more likely, since Xenoblade 2 is more popular than Xenoblade X. Xenoblade X, like the Wonderful 101, just came out on the wrong console at the wrong time--and I'd say it more than deserves a second chance. Ergo, if I personally were to choose between Rex and Elma, I'd choose Elma. Again, I seriously doubt we'll get both at this point.
i doubt elma being in smash would increase the odds of x coming to the switch anymore than joker being increased us getting persona 5.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
well she would be repping an entirely separate series so no
Kind of? I know they aren't exactly the same series, but I feel like they're so closely related that getting both would be very unlikely. It'd be like getting both Crash Bandicoot and Spyro.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Kind of? I know they aren't exactly the same series, but I feel like they're so closely related that getting both would be very unlikely. It'd be like getting both Crash Bandicoot and Spyro.
well yes and no, while its true they were both created by the same company much like those two unlike those they are owned by two entirely separate companies where as crash and spyro are owned by the same company. a better analogy would be banjo kazooie and yooka laylee where as they were both created by the same people they have completely different owners

also the two arent closely related, kos-mos jut has a cameo in xenoblade 2 in a manner that couldnt be considered canon in xenogears

I.D.

Smash Lord
also the two arent closely related, kos-mos jut has a cameo in xenoblade 2 in a manner that couldnt be considered canon in xenogears
lol
Let's just drop the subject here, this is obviously going to turn ugly. If anyone wants to discuss Kosmos they can go to her thread.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
It's debateable, Nintendo could very well release Xenoblade Chronicles X for Nintendo Switch and have Elma be in the fighters pass to coincide with it.
Yeah but I doubt they do to ports back to back. Maybe that happens in the next smash. But ofc everything is possible.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but I doubt they do to ports back to back. Maybe that happens in the next smash. But ofc everything is possible.
Knowing Monolith Soft, a Xenoblade Chronicles X on Switch would be more than just a port. And with the high production value of the game, a Smash promotion would help bump the sales.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's debateable, Nintendo could very well release Xenoblade Chronicles X for Nintendo Switch and have Elma be in the fighters pass to coincide with it.
did you not see the comments that followed that where we agreed such a thing has no bearing in smash what so ever based on similar situations in the past?

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Did you not see the comments that followed that where we agreed such a thing has no bearing in smash what so ever based on similar situations in the past?
Doesn't change the possibility, Byleth was revealed to coincide with the Three Houses DLC.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I also think that Rex should be able to cancel his special moves from his normals like the fighting game characters can and maybe just for smash, if you have a golden thread, you can cancel your specials from your specials!

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
well she would be repping an entirely separate series so no
Well, the spiritual continuation connection between Xenoblade and Xenosaga is strong enough to disqualify Rex if KOS-MOS does make it in.

Nintendo wants the fighters pass to be as diverse as possible with each fighter, KOS-MOS and Rex are both Monolith Soft characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Does it really matter? A character from a series currently not in the game prevents some amount of characters from getting in, the moment that they are included. Whether said series has a thematic link to another one or not is irrelevant.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Just came in to say I'm still feeling good about Rex getting into this Fighter Pass. Sakurai loves the Xenoblade Series and specifically mentioned Rex and highlighted his Mii costume. And that was before him and his team even knew they were going to be doing a second Pass. The Xenoblade series has been getting more and more popular and with XC2 selling well and how popular Rex and Pyra are (especially with the Japanese audience) I think it's only a matter of time.

Plus the series currently only has Shulk so it obviously needs more representation. Rex is my second most wanted and I absolutely adore XC1 and XC2. I've put more hours into XC2 than any other game on my Switch. I haven't played XCX yet, but hopefully one day that'll get a port as well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, the spiritual continuation connection between Xenoblade and Xenosaga is strong enough to disqualify Rex if KOS-MOS does make it in.

Nintendo wants the fighters pass to be as diverse as possible with each fighter, KOS-MOS and Rex are both Monolith Soft characters.
kos-mos may have been made by monolith but they dont own her anymore, they had to get permission to have her cameo in XC2. she not a monolith character. even then the logic is faulty cause that would be like saying we couldnt get corrin as dlc last game cause we had roy if only but as the two series as separate and owned by different companies its more like saying we cant have yooka laylee cause we have banjo and kazooie. or in fact saying we couldnt have had byleth because banjo kazooie used to be nintendo

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
kos-mos may have been made by monolith but they dont own her anymore, they had to get permission to have her cameo in XC2. she not a monolith character. even then the logic is faulty cause that would be like saying we couldnt get corrin as dlc last game cause we had roy if only but as the two series as separate and owned by different companies its more like saying we cant have yooka laylee cause we have banjo and kazooie. or in fact saying we couldnt have had byleth because banjo kazooie used to be nintendo
There's a lot that falls apart with this response when you look at it.

Yes, KOS-MOS may no longer be owned by Monolith Soft but she is still considered a Monolith Soft character as depicted by this corporate anniversary artwork. Despite the copyright ownership of KOS-MOS and Rex being owned by Bandai Namco and Nintendo respectively, they're both Monolith Soft characters.

Then we get to your argument about DLC characters from pre-existing series or characters from similar enough series with Roy and Byleth. What you've just done is compare the DLC roster of Smash Bros Wii U/3DS to the DLC roster of Smash Bros Ultimate, two different games. That's not a logical comparison. And yes, whilst Banjo Kazooie's inclusion doesn't prevent Yooka Laylee, let's be honest here, why would Nintendo have Yooka Laylee as a DLC fighter?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There's a lot that falls apart with this response when you look at it.

Yes, KOS-MOS may no longer be owned by Monolith Soft but she is still considered a Monolith Soft character as depicted by this corporate anniversary artwork. Despite the copyright ownership of KOS-MOS and Rex being owned by Bandai Namco and Nintendo respectively, they're both Monolith Soft characters.

Then we get to your argument about DLC characters from pre-existing series or characters from similar enough series with Roy and Byleth. What you've just done is compare the DLC roster of Smash Bros Wii U/3DS to the DLC roster of Smash Bros Ultimate, two different games. That's not a logical comparison. And yes, whilst Banjo Kazooie's inclusion doesn't prevent Yooka Laylee, let's be honest here, why would Nintendo have Yooka Laylee as a DLC fighter?
you’re telling me my logic is faulty? Kos-mos can be considered a monolith character all you want but at the end of the day who owns the character is what matters when it comes to smash inclusion. And being considered a character doesn’t mean much, after all I’ve seen plenty of people who consider the likes of Layton and wright Nintendo characters when they aren’t. She may have been part of their history and they may have made her but she is no more a monolith character than Geno is a Nintendo character. They still would have needed BN to use her in said artwork. What a character is considered doesn’t matter for smash who owns them does. And thinking Nintendo would be against both because they were made by the same people falls apart when you notice that “diverse roster” doesn’t actually mean anything and could be interpreted and number of different ways.

as for why Nintendo would want yooka laylee in smash well there are a number of reasons from doing a favour for some people they used to work with from simply wanting money

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
you’re telling me my logic is faulty? Kos-mos can be considered a monolith character all you want but at the end of the day who owns the character is what matters when it comes to smash inclusion. And being considered a character doesn’t mean much, after all I’ve seen plenty of people who consider the likes of Layton and wright Nintendo characters when they aren’t. She may have been part of their history and they may have made her but she is no more a monolith character than Geno is a Nintendo character. They still would have needed BN to use her in said artwork. What a character is considered doesn’t matter for smash who owns them does. And thinking Nintendo would be against both because they were made by the same people falls apart when you notice that “diverse roster” doesn’t actually mean anything and could be interpreted and number of different ways.

as for why Nintendo would want yooka laylee in smash well there are a number of reasons from doing a favour for some people they used to work with from simply wanting money
Are you seriously comparing KOS-MOS to Geno? Square created Geno, Square developed Geno. He just so happened to have originated in a Nintendo game. Nintendo chose the characters for the fighters DLC pass and I don't think that they'd use up two slots for two Xeno characters especially given the fact that the DLC characters for Smash Ultimate have been intentionally designed to entice new players to purchase the game. Basically, what I am saying is that once Rex and Pyra/Mythra are confirmed, KOS-MOS is out of the picture. Bandai Namco don't care for KOS-MOS and Nintendo and Monolith Soft are focused on the future of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Also, Nintendo is not interested in having Yooka Laylee as a fighter. You can argue all you want in saying that the rules have always been broken and that I have no knowledge of the fighters that are coming, but let's be real here, Kickstarter Banjo Kazooie is not worth making a DLC fighter out of when Nintendo already has the real deal.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Are you seriously comparing KOS-MOS to Geno? Square created Geno, Square developed Geno. He just so happened to have originated in a Nintendo game. Nintendo chose the characters for the fighters DLC pass and I don't think that they'd use up two slots for two Xeno characters especially given the fact that the DLC characters for Smash Ultimate have been intentionally designed to entice new players to purchase the game. Basically, what I am saying is that once Rex and Pyra/Mythra are confirmed, KOS-MOS is out of the picture. Bandai Namco don't care for KOS-MOS and Nintendo and Monolith Soft are focused on the future of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Also, Nintendo is not interested in having Yooka Laylee as a fighter. You can argue all you want in saying that the rules have always been broken and that I have no knowledge of the fighters that are coming, but let's be real here, Kickstarter Banjo Kazooie is not worth making a DLC fighter out of when Nintendo already has the real deal.
I’m comparing them cause the more apt similar situation you mocked. I could also have used sora as an analogy being a character who was created by a different company to the ones who own him. And what you said when this started you said kos-mos could block Rex that’s why this started. You think one character disqualifies another because they happened to made by the same company and the only reason you can offer for this is Nintendo wouldn’t do this when you have no way of knowing that.

which actually brings me to my yooka laylee point, how can you know that Nintendo wouldnt want them? Do you work for them? Do you have extensive knowledge of their business practices? Or do you just not like them and have trouble believing anyone could like them?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Okay, but Yooka Laylee were designed to be reminiscent of Banjo amd Kazooie. Rex and KOS-MOS are not very similar. They don't really step on each other's toes. Their main similarity is they were made by the same company which isn't much.

And if we only get one, well it's Nintendo so loguc need not always apply but which series is actually active, hmm?

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I’m comparing them cause the more apt similar situation you mocked. I could also have used sora as an analogy being a character who was created by a different company to the ones who own him. And what you said when this started you said kos-mos could block Rex that’s why this started. You think one character disqualifies another because they happened to made by the same company and the only reason you can offer for this is Nintendo wouldn’t do this when you have no way of knowing that.

which actually brings me to my yooka laylee point, how can you know that Nintendo wouldnt want them? Do you work for them? Do you have extensive knowledge of their business practices? Or do you just not like them and have trouble believing anyone could like them?
Do all of your counterarguments boil down to "you don't know that?" because that just completely shuts down meaningful discussion if it does.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I feel Rex is one of the final fighters.

I’m thinking his spirit board could look like this:

Pyra
Mythra
Nia
Tora
Poppi a
Morag
Zeke

New Spirits:
Poppi QT
Nia (Blade Form)
Brighid (Censored, yes, shut up)
Pandoria
Bana
Addam
Lora
Jin
Malos
‘Coffee With Milk’

Then Mii Costumes:
Poppi a (Gunner)
Morag (Sword)
Zeke (Sword)
Fiora (Brawler)

Arthur97

Smash Master
To be fair, that's kind of become a valid reasoning for shooting down speculation. We don't know. Fan rules are repeatedly struck down, and at this point, insisting that you know how it is is not a good point.

And again, Rex and KOS-MOS are not really similar. Both made by Monolith. Woop. They aren't the same series. I don't even think they use the same weapon type. Besides, Xenogears is an old and finished series. Not saying they won't be weird, but why bring her in when you can bring in this highly wanted option from an ongoing series (that you own and don't have to license out)? A series which has been doing rather well. So even if they were comparable, KOS-MOS should be the under dog here.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Do all of your counterarguments boil down to "you don't know that?" because that just completely shuts down meaningful discussion if it does.
do all you counterarguments boil down to "this is what i think nintendo does"? cuase thats what all your arguments read as.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Girls girls you are both beautiful, so don't argue.

OK, I couldn't resist. The point is "Chill it you guys".
Is getting worked up over a childrens (fighting themed) party game worth it?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, I'm at the point where I'm doubting a Xenoblade character in general.

Xelha

Smash Rookie
I still believe Rex has a massive chance at getting in this pass. Especially if Monolithsoft shows off their new game this year. Which, is probably Xenoblade. I don't know why people doubt it if ARMS got in.

For the KOS-MOS discussion, she gets brought up a lot because she's a big crossover character and has been in a bunch of stuff. So it's not that outlandish, but if it's between her and Rex, it's probably gonna be Rex. Namco doesn't seem to care and I wouldn't be surprised if KOS-MOS does end up becoming an honorary Xenoblade character.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I still believe Rex has a massive chance at getting in this pass. Especially if Monolithsoft shows off their new game this year. Which, is probably Xenoblade.
This is bad logic, surely if Monolith release a new Xenoblade next year (Which honestly, their new project doesn't really look like anyway) then that would put Rex in the same position as Elma was in in base game Ultimate.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This is bad logic, surely if Monolith release a new Xenoblade next year (Which honestly, their new project doesn't really look like anyway) then that would put Rex in the same position as Elma was in in base game Ultimate.
well not quite. for a character for an upcoming game to included sakurai needs to be allowed behind the scenes for said game but rex sort of proved that hes doesnt get to be behind the scenes for monolith

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
well not quite. for a character for an upcoming game to included sakurai needs to be allowed behind the scenes for said game but rex sort of proved that hes doesnt get to be behind the scenes for monolith
I'm not arguing that that character would get in instead. I'm saying that if we get another Xenoblade game, Rex would probably be considered too irrelevant and we wouldn't get a Xenoblade character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm not arguing that that character would get in instead. I'm saying that if we get another Xenoblade game, Rex would probably be considered too irrelevant and we wouldn't get a Xenoblade character.
but relevance doesnt always matter to smash, i mean would sakurai even know what they were working on back when he was picking the characters for the pass? it would have been sometime last year that the characters were chosen and as i said before it doesnt sound like sakurai knows what goes on at monolith before the official reveal. so odds are that as far as sakurai was aware rex was the most relevant character at the time when he was choosing

Top Bottom