• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I hope Rex has Roc in his moveset if he gets in. Roc is so cool with really cool weapons! I hope Vandam gets a spirit at least too.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
I think almost everyone envisions Olethro Playhouse's x-axis relative to entrance being the part of the stage that would be fought on, because symmetry. But if the stage were accurate to the source material and players approached each other the same way the characters did most of the time in the Makhos fight, then it would actually only be a walk-off in one direction similar to Suzaku Castle. This means the "back" of the stage crumbling off could act as a stage hazard rather than just a change in aesthetic. It would also make it easier for the player to see potential spectators, since the background would include a sizable portion of the audience.

Land of morytha anyone?
As cool as it'd be to see the Infernal Guldo again, the Land of Morytha is pretty much the worst stage you could pick in terms of it being a general reflection of XC2. A location with the goal in mind of contrasting with everything that came before it as much as possible doesn't make sense being people's introduction to the game's world, and would also probably have the highest level of music dissonance of any stage in Smash history.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I still think Leftherian Archipelago would be the best stage to represent Xenoblade 2. It has just about everything:
  • No spoilers
  • A nice view of the Cloud Sea
  • Various islands in the background
  • A glimpse of the World Tree
  • Tons of creatures walking/flying in the background if needed
  • A gorgeous location in general
My next picks would be Uraya followed by Gormott. Main issue with Gormott is that it is too similar to Gaur Plains.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As cool as it'd be to see the Infernal Guldo again, the Land of Morytha is pretty much the worst stage you could pick in terms of it being a general reflection of XC2. A location with the goal in mind of contrasting with everything that came before it as much as possible doesn't make sense being people's introduction to the game's world, and would also probably have the highest level of music dissonance of any stage in Smash history.
stages arent chosen to be reflective of the game, theyre chosen for the recognizability. hence why we have so many obvious choices. personally i like a bit of music dissonance, thats why ive got the street pass quest boss theme playing on tomodachi life

I still think Leftherian Archipelago would be the best stage to represent Xenoblade 2. It has just about everything:
  • No spoilers
  • A nice view of the Cloud Sea
  • Various islands in the background
  • A glimpse of the World Tree
  • Tons of creatures walking/flying in the background if needed
  • A gorgeous location in general
My next picks would be Uraya followed by Gormott. Main issue with Gormott is that it is too similar to Gaur Plains.
cant fault those reasons

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Leftheria is an amazing view. So long as it isn't Gormott though, shouldn't be too bad.

The_Hypist

Smash Rookie
I always imagine that they’d pick Gormott, but to differentiate it from Gaur Plains they’d make it a traveling stage like Delfino Plaza or Skyloft, taking you to the different landmarks.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It could be unique stage, but visually it'd be a little too samey, and not just with Gaur. DK seems to suffer the most from samey levels. We have plenty of grassland type levels. Just...show about anywhere else in the game. I'd even take argentum. Could move up the place like New Donk City Hall.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Rex and Pyra/Mythra aren't a case of "if" they're going to be in Smash Bros, it's a case of "when" they're going to be in Smash Bros.
Well no...

I'd argue Rex and Pyra will not get in if another Xenoblade game is released before the next Smash.

Timing is key for them.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well no...

I'd argue Rex and Pyra will not get in if another Xenoblade game is released before the next Smash.

Timing is key for them.
Probably if he doesn't get in through DLC here and they do release another...but not necessarily. Could have a Chrom situation. Hopefully Rex gets treated better in that case.

Last edited:

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Well no...

Timing is key for them.
That depends on when the next smash is planned. If the next XC releases lets say a year or two before the next smash, the new protagonist has the same problem as rex.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Rex and Pyra/Mythra aren't a case of "if" they're going to be in Smash Bros, it's a case of "when" they're going to be in Smash Bros.
It's really not. If we get another Xenoblade game, Rex is never gonna get in, because he's not gonna be worthwhile from a business standpoint and he's not gonna be nearly as relevant to fans. He's already struggling with Jin because of the Torna DLC, XB3/XBX2 would do him in for good. And I think it's a very reasonably likely outcome.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's really not. If we get another Xenoblade game, Rex is never gonna get in, because he's not gonna be worthwhile from a business standpoint and he's not gonna be nearly as relevant to fans. He's already struggling with Jin because of the Torna DLC, XB3/XBX2 would do him in for good. And I think it's a very reasonably likely outcome.
some characters are always relevant to fans, just ask the geno crew

Arthur97

Smash Master
Struggling may be a generous word. Rex is the one doing well in the polls, don't recall seeing Jin do as well as he does. People in XC circles might talk about him, but outside? And bear in mind, there are people there that might say they want Morag or Zeke so maybe not the best samples.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Well no...

Timing is key for them.
Sakurai wanted a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 representative in the game but the timing was bad. He also wanted an ARMS representative and we eventually got MIN MIN. Nintendo reported that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold 2 Million units, why wouldn't both Sakurai and Nintendo not want Rex and Pyra/Mythra?

TraaP

Smash Cadet
I strongly believe that Rex & Pyra are FP9, everything just seems to align for him - from my perspective. Maybe it's because I really want Rex in the game but weren't they composing music for an unspecific reason this summer? Also, there's the fact that we have 5 voice spots left in the file for Smash, with Sephiroth taking 1 that leaves us with 4 for 3 character spaces; I can easily see Rex & Pyra taking 2 of these. Moreover, it seems like this fighter pass is just characters who they wanted/considered for the base game - with Sephiroth maybe being a bartering inclusion?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai wanted a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 representative in the game but the timing was bad. He also wanted an ARMS representative and we eventually got MIN MIN. Nintendo reported that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold 2 Million units, why wouldn't both Sakurai and Nintendo not want Rex and Pyra/Mythra?
well certain people will point out that the exact wording he used was that they were too late for the base roster not that he would have liked to include him. also while its perfect reasonable to believe that nintendo would suggest a character from any of their big switch games we should not try and guess what sakurai is thinking.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Well in regards to the whole Rex vs
Jin
(and possible Elma or a XC3/X2 protagonist too) .... it will probably depend on who MonolithSoft wants in .... as Sakurai seems to ask the producers most of the time.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Jin
(and possible Elma or a XC3/X2 protagonist too) .... it will probably depend on who MonolithSoft wants in .... as Sakurai seems to ask the producers most of the time.
The only times we have any sign of him asking the producers are Arms and Pokemon. I could also see him doing this if we got a Tekken or Soul Calibur character, because there's not really a clear main character there.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Do people seriously think Jin is particularly in the running?
Anyone who says any other Xenoblade rep besides Rex is actually delusional, most of the time it's people not wanting him in. Like they aren't going to add another XC1 rep or Jin/Lora, Nia or Zeke over the main character of the best selling Xenoblade game lol.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Jin
so far we know he did with arms, no one else

Arthur97

Smash Master
I can kinda see Elma, but Torna was an add on. An add on which was apparently planned to be in the base game (in what I think would have been a not very good way). Though, Elma suffers from the fact, why wasn't she in the base roster? Her game was well and done. Where was the conflict there?

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Anyone who says any other Xenoblade rep besides Rex is actually delusional, most of the time it's people not wanting him in. Like they aren't going to add another XC1 rep or Jin/Lora, Nia or Zeke over the main character of the best selling Xenoblade game lol.
That’s what people said about Spring Man before the ARMS rep happened, so I’m not letting my guard down.

Arthur97

Smash Master
That’s what people said about Spring Man before the ARMS rep happened, so I’m not letting my guard down.
Slightly different. Rex very much is the main protagonist of 2 (along with Pyra and Mythra). Jin is an antagonist, XC1 already has a fighter, and if they wanted Elma, she probably would have been in the main game. Or at least a late comer, but they prioritized a potted plant.

As for asking the producer, when asked didn't he pretty much say to ask Sakurai?

Last edited:

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
... and if they wanted Elma, she probably would have been in the main game. Or at least a late comer, but they prioritized a potted plant.
Thats one of the most savage disses against Elma that I have ever heard :laugh:

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I hope if Rex or a Xenoblade 2 gets in, their “DLC gimmick” is the driver combo. I bet they could do it in smash. ARMS and Minecraft are the big examples or mechanics making into smash and the Belmonts and megaman are a smaller example

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
At this point, I don't have high hopes for Rex. At the very least, I seriously doubt we're going to get both him AND Elma.

That said... Since we got a Rex Mii outfit, I wouldn't mind seeing Mii costumes of Pyra, Mythra, Nia, Mòrag, and Zeke. They could be revealed along with Elma--and Elma & Shulk's stages could have music from all three Xenoblade games.

Arthur97

Smash Master
We're almost certainly not getting Rex and Elma. Though, I've went over at least some of my thoughts on Elma's likeliness. Or lack thereof.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I hope if Rex or a Xenoblade 2 gets in, their “DLC gimmick” is the driver combo. I bet they could do it in smash. ARMS and Minecraft are the big examples or mechanics making into smash and the Belmonts and megaman are a smaller example
Not really a gimmick, the driver combo isn't really that special among Smash characers. Ice Climbers already have a similar one.
I really think if they get in, Affinity is the best way to go. Delzethin made, what is in my opinion, the perfect Rex and Pyra moveset.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
At this point, I don't have high hopes for Rex. At the very least, I seriously doubt we're going to get both him AND Elma.

That said... Since we got a Rex Mii outfit, I wouldn't mind seeing Mii costumes of Pyra, Mythra, Nia, Mòrag, and Zeke. They could be revealed along with Elma--and Elma & Shulk's stages could have music from all three Xenoblade games.
you think elma is more likely?

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
She is, I have a Nia Mii Brawler with the >:3 face
I really find that weird. Why is Nia in the base game, but you need to purchase a whole season pass to get Rex? Is it because of gramps bouncing around in his helmet? I know it sounds stupid, but it’s the only explanation I’ve got

Arthur97

Smash Master
Maybe they just thought Rex would be a better incentive? Then again, pass two just got some BotW armor.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I really find that weird. Why is Nia in the base game, but you need to purchase a whole season pass to get Rex? Is it because of gramps bouncing around in his helmet? I know it sounds stupid, but it’s the only explanation I’ve got
because he was probably meant for the base game and out of all the base game outfits they thought he was the best bonus

Top Bottom