• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Arthur97

Smash Master
Hmm, should both girls get three victory screens or one a piece with the third being...something else?

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
What's up guys? Just thought I'd drop by to offer my support for Rex, and hopefully Pyra and Mythra, becoming playable in Ultimate soon! Still haven't beaten Xenoblade Chronicles 2 admittedly, but I've at least made it to Chapter 9 so I know a great deal of the story! Rex is really the only other 1st Party character that I feel is missing for Smash Ultimate, and he has potential as a fighter. Especially if he can switch between blades to use different arts. I was thinking Rex could have Pyra, Nia and KOS-MOS as interchangeable blades in a similar style to Pokemon Trainer switching between Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard, while Mythra helps him use Sacred Arrow for his Final Smash 😃

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
After how Byleth was revealed as the final character on Fighters Pass 1, it does seem weird that Rex was "too late" to make it. Xenoblade 2 started development before Three Houses, and during half of the development of Three Houses, the creators were busy with Shadows of Valentia. Sakurai owes us Rex and Pyra. He can't tell us Xenoblade 2 was released too late when the final fighter of the pass he had then wouldn't have his game out until six months after Ultimate's release.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
After how Byleth was revealed as the final character on Fighters Pass 1, it does seem weird that Rex was "too late" to make it. Xenoblade 2 started development before Three Houses, and during half of the development of Three Houses, the creators were busy with Shadows of Valentia. Sakurai owes us Rex and Pyra. He can't tell us Xenoblade 2 was released too late when the final fighter of the pass he had then wouldn't have his game out until six months after Ultimate's release.
well to be fair we dont know the full story. we know sakurai was allowed behind the scenes of 3H but we have no way of knowing if he was allowed behind the scenes for XC2. its very likely that intelligent systems and monolith have very different methods of making games.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I'd argue that Rex has a 20-30% chance of happening...and even that might be pushing it, tbh.

A lot of you guys need to stop thinking he's damn near guaranteed just because we got Min Min.
I agree, but when you consider how many characters could get in, that's still pretty Damn high.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I agree, but when you consider how many characters could get in, that's still pretty Damn high.
It also seems like looking at it the wrong way. What I mean is, you shouldn't look at it as Xenoblade in a sea of IPs, you should look at it as how likely is Nintendo to get another fighter (the fact that question even has to be asked...) and then how likely is Rex to be the Nintendo fighter. That, I think, makes him more likely as, maybe outside yet another Pokemon, he seems to be among the top running if not the top for Nintendo fighters if not just due to the rest of the "too late" gang getting in.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
It also seems like looking at it the wrong way. What I mean is, you shouldn't look at it as Xenoblade in a sea of IPs, you should look at it as how likely is Nintendo to get another fighter (the fact that question even has to be asked...) and then how likely is Rex to be the Nintendo fighter. That, I think, makes him more likely as, maybe outside yet another Pokemon, he seems to be among the top running if not the top for Nintendo fighters if not just due to the rest of the "too late" gang getting in.
I really don’t find Pokémon that likely after that post launch spirit event last year

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
more likely the next again, gens last 3 years at least
I'm not so sure. There was that datamine with the Sword and Shield beta suggesting a new game is coming next year. And in my opinion the very existence of Dynamax adventure rules out a remake.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I'm not so sure. There was that datamine with the Sword and Shield beta suggesting a new game is coming next year. And in my opinion the very existence of Dynamax adventure rules out a remake.
Dude, hope for Sinnoh remakes is what's keeping me invested in Pokemon right now. If they just jump straight into another half-baked new generation, especially after how much of a letdown Let's Go and SW/SH were, I might have to step away from the series.

... Also, Rex for Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
how much of an influence are they meant to have?
Well apparently, his LP of the first game was a big contributor to the game getting exposure, given its... unique situation (3D All-Stars isn't the first time Nintendo made weird marketing decisions). A lot of people are expecting the same to happen with 2.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well apparently, his LP of the first game was a big contributor to the game getting exposure, given its... unique situation (3D All-Stars isn't the first time Nintendo made weird marketing decisions). A lot of people are expecting the same to happen with 2.
I thought it was smash and operation rainfall that helped XC1

Arthur97

Smash Master
This is a bit different though. 2 had a lot more exposure than 1 already. I don't know how much influence this will have especially since a lot of his fans may have already been curious or into the series after the first LP.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
The datamine more near guarantees Sinnoh is next. Way to much evidence and unlike Smash Bros, Pokemon is a series you can figure out with patterns.

The bulk of the missing Pokemon now after the DLC are from Gen 2 and Gen 4(and basically all the Gen 2 mons that got evo's in Gen 4 are missing in SwSh)

There are 2 fossil pokemon missing while the rest are in Crown Tundra and those are the Gen 4 Fossil mons

All the Gen 4 mythicals are not transferrable!!! And now that DLC is a thing for Pokemon and Sinnoh is the most lore heavy gen, they could sell us Darkrai and Arceus as a DLC quest or do a Delta episode with them

Same stuff happend when they where making the Gen 2 remakes and Gen 3 remakes with missing pokemon (for example when DP released, the Gen 2 starters where near event status, because how hard they where to get in Gen 3 and Lugia and Ho-oh were considerd event mons in Gen 3)

XY had alot of Gen 3 mons missing and the Mega Blaziken teasing

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Chuggaaconroy
right

The datamine more near guarantees Sinnoh is next. Way to much evidence and unlike Smash Bros, Pokemon is a series you can figure out with patterns.

The bulk of the missing Pokemon now after the DLC are from Gen 2 and Gen 4(and basically all the Gen 2 mons that got evo's in Gen 4 are missing in SwSh)

There are 2 fossil pokemon missing while the rest are in Crown Tundra and those are the Gen 4 Fossil mons

All the Gen 4 mythicals are not transferrable!!! And now that DLC is a thing for Pokemon and Sinnoh is the most lore heavy gen, they could sell us Darkrai and Arceus as a DLC quest or do a Delta episode with them

Same stuff happend when they where making the Gen 2 remakes and Gen 3 remakes with missing pokemon (for example when DP released, the Gen 2 starters where near event status, because how hard they where to get in Gen 3 and Lugia and Ho-oh were considerd event mons in Gen 3)

XY had alot of Gen 3 mons missing and the Mega Blaziken teasing
i wouldnt bother ive already been down that path with them they said patterns were proof of patterns breaking

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I support Pyra/Mythra for Smash Bros Ultimate. In fact, I expect them to be part of the fighters pass.

We know that a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 character was planned but was not added due to poor timing. Well, there's no excuse for that any longer. Sakurai wants a representative, Nintendo clearly wants a representative from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 judging by the sales numbers and Xenoblade Chronicles as a brand is just growing especially after the success of Definitive Edition. The reason why I am limiting it to Pyra and not Rex/Pyra is partially due to programming reasons and because of Torna - The Golden Country. Having both Rex and Pyra would be more mechanically challenging to program and control as the driver and blade dynamic doesn't really work in a 2D field, it's not like Ice Climbers because Rex wields Pyra's weapon, but if Pyra's wielding her weapon, what is Rex going to wield (unless he has a secondary weapon from the spoiler blade). I refer to Torna - The Golden Country because that game lets you play as Mythra, meaning, an entire moveset can be created without having to have Rex involved. Pyra/Mythra are arguably the face of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 so I'm expecting them.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I support Pyra/Mythra for Smash Bros Ultimate. In fact, I expect them to be part of the fighters pass.

We know that a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 character was planned but was not added due to poor timing. Well, there's no excuse for that any longer. Sakurai wants a representative, Nintendo clearly wants a representative from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 judging by the sales numbers and Xenoblade Chronicles as a brand is just growing especially after the success of Definitive Edition. The reason why I am limiting it to Pyra and not Rex/Pyra is partially due to programming reasons and because of Torna - The Golden Country. Having both Rex and Pyra would be more mechanically challenging to program and control as the driver and blade dynamic doesn't really work in a 2D field, it's not like Ice Climbers because Rex wields Pyra's weapon, but if Pyra's wielding her weapon, what is Rex going to wield (unless he has a secondary weapon from the spoiler blade). I refer to Torna - The Golden Country because that game lets you play as Mythra, meaning, an entire moveset can be created without having to have Rex involved. Pyra/Mythra are arguably the face of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 so I'm expecting them.
It is more difficult to program but also whats makes them interesting. And in comparision to the work required to make Steve functional it is nothing. Also even Torna focusses heavely on Driver Blade Tag Team Tactics. They even have introduced a special attack for swapping between them.

Mythra/Pyra combonation would also face the same problems as Zelda where people only play as one half of the character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It is more difficult to program but also whats makes them interesting. And in comparision to the work required to make Steve functional it is nothing. Also even Torna focusses heavely on Driver Blade Tag Team Tactics. They even have introduced a special attack for swapping between them.

Mythra/Pyra combonation would also face the same problems as Zelda where people only play as one half of the character.
yeah but it doesnt really make a lot of sense to base them on something which only one of them was in and basing of a different pair than actual characters who did it, itd be a bit like giving sonic eggmans mech or giving ness palua's psi moves

hold on

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
but theyre not
Yes, they arguably are. Rex may be the main protagonist but he doesn't represent that game for casual audiences. And Rex was not in Torna - The Golden Country (flashbacks and flashforwards to the main game don't count) whilst Pyra and Mythra were.

The main protagonist isn't always the face of a property. The main protagonist of Xenosaga is Shion Uzuki but 95% of people wouldn't know that unless they played the game because the franchise markets KOS-MOS as the face of the series. The deuteragonist marketing a property happens even outside of video games, Elsa markets Frozen but Anna is the main character, Baymax markets Big Hero 6 but Hiro is the main character.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yes, they arguably are. Rex may be the main protagonist but he doesn't represent that game for casual audiences. And Rex was not in Torna - The Golden Country (flashbacks and flashforwards to the main game don't count) whilst Pyra and Mythra were.

The main protagonist isn't always the face of a property. The main protagonist of Xenosaga is Shion Uzuki but 95% of people wouldn't know that unless they played the game because the franchise markets KOS-MOS as the face of the series. The deuteragonist marketing a property happens even outside of video games, Elsa markets Frozen but Anna is the main character, Baymax markets Big Hero 6 but Hiro is the main character.
I mean, Pyra was barely in Torna. Also, why would Torna be important here? The main game is Rex.

However, more importantly, Pyra, Mythra, and Rex are a team. Blades and drivers are a symbiotic relationship. Yes, blades can fight alone, but to reach their full strength, they need each other. For them to be split up...just doesn't make a lot of sense, now does it? Not an exact comparison, but imagine getting only one Ice Climber.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I mean, Pyra was barely in Torna. Also, why would Torna be important here? The main game is Rex.

However, more importantly, Pyra, Mythra, and Rex are a team. Blades and drivers are a symbiotic relationship. Yes, blades can fight alone, but to reach their full strength, they need each other. For them to be split up...just doesn't make a lot of sense, now does it? Not an exact comparison, but imagine getting only one Ice Climber.
Torna is important because it shows that Pyra/Mythra can battle without a driver, they're the Aegis. Pyra/Mythra can fight without Rex. If Rex makes it in with Pyra/Mythra, I'm happy with that but it's the Pyra/Mythra element of this fighter that's the truly interesting part. The whole argument of Blade and Driver mechanics isn't necessarily important in the world of Smash Bros. If they can pull it off, that's cool. But it's not mandatory.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Torna is important because it shows that Pyra/Mythra can battle without a driver, they're the Aegis. Pyra/Mythra can fight without Rex. If Rex makes it in with Pyra/Mythra, I'm happy with that but it's the Pyra/Mythra element of this fighter that's the truly interesting part. The whole argument of Blade and Driver mechanics isn't necessarily important in the world of Smash Bros. If they can pull it off, that's cool. But it's not mandatory.
You seem to be thinking about this backwards. Besides, they can fight alone, but it took Rex for them to reach their full potential. And do you honestly think that with how DLC has gone, they aren't going to try to replicate them as faithfully as possible? Having them fight without Rex just seems...wrong.

Also bear in mind that Addam was still around when Mythra fought, so it wasn't like she was without a driver.

Last edited:
Top Bottom