• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
1 and 1/2 time played through then torna came out which I switched to. Now on XC 1. Then Future Connected. Oh I wish I had time to play video games...

For the potential map I would actually like Azurda the most. Like he is swimming through the cloud see with the majestic Titans in the Background doing stuff.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
I know to most it wouldn't really matter, but a fight on top of Azurda would instantly feel jarring to me when he's also right there on my back.

...Unless the helmet is empty when fighting on that stage in particular, which'd be pretty damn cool.

I.D.

Smash Lord
For the potential map I would actually like Azurda the most. Like he is swimming through the cloud see with the majestic Titans in the Background doing stuff.
My thinking almost exactly. I'd rather have a stage that showcases the different titans of Alrest. I'd go with the World Tree, spoilers be damned.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've been playing through Xenoblade DE recently and it's been really fun. Both games are great. Now I'm going to be really disappointed if we don't get Rex due to the series being in the spotlight now thanks to Nintendo promoting it.
If it helps you feel better, the series doing pretty swimmingly nowadays will at least make him a soft lock for the next Smash, in such a case scenario.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If it helps you feel better, the series doing pretty swimmingly nowadays will at least make him a soft lock for the next Smash, in such a case scenario.
I don't know about that. What if the next game comes out and they decide to promote its protagonist? I feel like this is Rex's last chance to be included unless he becomes really popular and stays in the next game.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about that. What if the next game comes out and they decide to promote its protagonist? I feel like this is Rex's last chance to be included unless he becomes really popular and stays in the next game.
there is also always the chance the next game ends up as a direct sequel, future connected did seem to imply shulks world will have more problems, unless they are just going to have the next game be in a new universe and melia saying she had a bad feeling about the future was just being ominous, this would be good for rex, because we already have shulk
edit: while it wouldn't do much for rex, we should also see a xenoblade X 2 at some point which would be good for elma

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
I think this optimism may be misplaced. Xenoblade is a rotating door of protagonists, and if it starts moving too fast Rex could basically become a Gen V Pokémon where his initial "bad timing" is something from which he never recovers.

I feel pretty confident FP2 will have a Xenoblade rep...and I just hope to god it's not Melia or Reyn in an effort to promote DE (who of course would be accompanied by Gaur Plain HD and remastered versions of the same tracks already in). If that happens I will literally scream.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, it's not impossible to overcome having the series leaving them behind, but it's not always easy to do. It is interesting to note that Chrom is the only FE pick other than Marth not from the most recent game.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Note of positivity: If Rex gets in *now*, celebrate the fact that he's not only in, but got in as DLC since there's a very real chance XC2 might've not gotten its own stage had Rex debuted in the base game. The only new non-Big Battlefield stage at the time of Ultimate's release were stages for fighters repping entirely new IP (all two of them) + Mario and Zelda. This is despite the fact that it would have made a great deal of sense for K. Rool to get Gangplank Galleon or something else that wasn't right outside of DK's house. And while it's true Xenoblade previously only having one stage would up the odds, Sakurai in the throes of development might have just decided Gaur Plain was close enough to Gormott for it to really be a huge deal.

Last edited:

max_0888

Smash Cadet
Well, it's not impossible to overcome having the series leaving them behind, but it's not always easy to do. It is interesting to note that Chrom is the only FE pick other than Marth not from the most recent game.
Chrom getting in is a good sign for Rex, In Smash WiiU, when they announced Lucina and Robin they kinda promised Chrom would get in next time and they delivered on that. Rex’s mii costume as an excuse of not being able to fit him in time for the base roster feels like the same type of promise to me. DLC 2 sounds like the perfect Opportunity for that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
they kinda promised Chrom would get in next time and they delivered on that
"I suppose I'll get my chance another day" wasn't a hint that Chrom would be in the next game. It was a hint that he'd get a consolation prize in the form of Robin's Final Smash. Which wasn't enough for Chrom fans, so when he got enough votes on the ballot, SSBU introduced a feature where Sakurai's belief that he wouldn't be original wouldn't matter, and Robin's victory pose meant Chrom's model had to be virtually on par with fighters, that's when Sakurai decided to add Chrom to SSBU.

Arthur97

Smash Master
"I suppose I'll get my chance another day" wasn't a hint that Chrom would be in the next game. It was a hint that he'd get a consolation prize in the form of Robin's Final Smash. Which wasn't enough for Chrom fans, so when he got enough votes on the ballot, SSBU introduced a feature where Sakurai's belief that he wouldn't be original wouldn't matter, and Robin's victory pose meant Chrom's model had to be virtually on par with fighters, that's when Sakurai decided to add Chrom to SSBU.
Eh, don't underestimate how very popular he is in Japan or that Awakening remains a fan favorite even with TH out there. And that trailer did potentially garner him support he otherwise might not have had. Now, I don't think his model was on par with the others. In fact, I'm still not sure it is. I think his model may be the worst fighter model in the game, or at least one of them.

Despite that, yeah, Chrom had a lot going for him. Wish he could have been a full fighter, but they treated him better than his daughter at least.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Now, I don't think his model was on par with the others. In fact, I'm still not sure it is. I think his model may be the worst fighter model in the game, or at least one of them.
True, but he still had some key features fighters had that assist trophies don't, like bumpmaps. And I'm not underestimating his popularity at all, because enough people wouldn't have wanted him to be a fighter without it.

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Turns out DE has already sold over 1.3 million copies, aka further proof that FP2 lacking a Xenoblade rep would be the zenith of ridiculousness.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Cool, but all it really proves is that they aren't abandoning it which is nice I suppose.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Hey so the Nintendo summer pamphlet just came out and lookie what we have here

View attachment 281539

I suggest checking the whole thing so you can see how much prominence XB2 gets compared to other games, even games that are far more recent.
See people in the West. This is how you advertise and treat all games equally. I love it. And splitting even between the two games. I love the design of it.

Unfortunately America and Europe need "High-Octane Action!" to advertise.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Seeing Monolith continue to promote XC2 alongside XC:DE makes me very happy. They're obviously very proud of their work (and for good reason too) even though the game has its fair share of issues.

Hopefully Rex detractors run out of even more ammunition used to dismiss his chances.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
I just fully took in the fact that Rex's art would have him actually wielding the Aegis Sword. This sounds like a "duh" moment but I'm just so used to Drivers not being depicted with any weapons in their official art, compared to how Shulk and the Monado are pretty much inseparable.

rex-pyra.png

The red sword/blue suit color contrast is underrated. I largely prefer it to red sword on slightly different shade of red jacket.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Actually, what do you think his recovery would be? I would think Anchor Shot would be an obvious pick, but considering how many tether recoveries we've already gotten, do you think perhaps he'll just have a tether grab with another recovery move?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Actually, what do you think his recovery would be? I would think Anchor Shot would be an obvious pick, but considering how many tether recoveries we've already gotten, do you think perhaps he'll just have a tether grab with another recovery move?
You could probably retool Double Spinning Hit into a recovery.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You could probably retool Double Spinning Hit into a recovery.
I myself am considering the idea of Rolling Smash being his recovery. I mean, he leaps into the air for the move for crying out loud.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I myself am considering the idea of Rolling Smash being his recovery. I mean, he leaps into the air for the move for crying out loud.
Only about as much as Back Slash works in Smash, which is probably how Rolling Smash is gonna work too. It's an area of effect ether move caused by striking the earth, so you'd better believe he's going to plummet if he's in the air.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888

Rex's anchor is symbolic of his profession, has story relevance from the beginning until the very end, and communicates that he's about more than just swords (axes, lances, hammers, cannons, etc.) when his moveset may have no other way to demonstrate that due to it not involving Blades beyond Pyra and Mythra.

Not to mention that unlike Link's hookshot the anchor is an intrinsic part of the salvager suit's design. The player won't exactly have forgotten it exists during a generic sword recovery with terrible vertical range.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, more so than potentially every other fighter except maybe Min Min, the tether is very important to Rex. I suppose a question is how would it work differently from others? I did imagine that it may go horizontally when used on the ground, but it's still a command grab. I think I at one point thought about it taking Rex to the opponent, but, well that's been done now. It could also be a timing thing where the attack changes kind of like Aloan Whip.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What exactly makes it more or less important if Anchor Shot is activated with Up B or the Z button when it can fulfill both grabbing and recovery roles in both positions anyway? Plus, spinning moves as up specials are great to have when your shield is being hit.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Because the animation doesn't really fit for Rolling Smash. It's very much a horizontal move. They could change it, but why when he has a very obvious recovery device built into his suit? Even if it isn't the anchor, I don't think Rolling Smash is a good fit at all. Something using the other two would probably work better.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Because the animation doesn't really fit for Rolling Smash. It's very much a horizontal move. They could change it, but why when he has a very obvious recovery device built into his suit? Even if it isn't the anchor, I don't think Rolling Smash is a good fit at all. Something using the other two would probably work better.
We're still talking about that move? I was thinking Double Spinning Hit. It could even work like Air Slash and it's manual second input. Or are we saying it's a bad thing that Young Link has something other than a tether to recover with just because that isn't how Spin Attack normally works?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Spin attack had three things going for it. The helicopter like motion, it's iconic status among his moveset, and the fact that Link in 64 didn't have many options. Rex has a very obvious other option, and, honestly none of his arts seem well suited for the job.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Yeah, more so than potentially every other fighter except maybe Min Min, the tether is very important to Rex. I suppose a question is how would it work differently from others?
How is this even a question? Make it trip the opponent LMAO

Top Bottom