• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Sysreq

Smash Ace
The announcer calls out Rex & Pyra or Rex & Mythra depending on whoever’s out. You can pick which one to start with a la Pokémon Trainer.
If Minmin has shown anything it’s that this sort of thing is a non-issue. Hell, their Spirit could just be Rex & Pyra, and Rex & Mythra without the need for (Fighter) appended because they’ve never shared a Spirit before anyways.
The spirits I also feel are a non-issue because of (Fighter). However, iirc, with Pokemon Trainer, the Trainer and each of the Pokemon have their own fighter spirits. I feel like if both Pyra and Mythra were included, they would go that route and if it were just Pyra, then Rex & Pyra together.

However, the difference between the spirits and the character select screen is they'd have to have Xander Mobus/Announcer in every language record two lines specifically. Also not impossible (Bowser Jr., though that was base game), but I'm sure it's not ideal.
Honestly I think just calling them Rex would be the easiest. Especially if they are intangible. There is precedence for this as the announcer calls out for the trainers rather than the individual Pokemon.
I also think this would probably be easiest, but as a fan of Pyra and Mythra...feelsbadman lol. As fleshed out characters, you sort of want to see them get acknowledged compared to a generic Pokemon but I think it comes down to how important Pyra and Mythra are in Rex's moveset.

Arthur97

Smash Master
The spirits I also feel are a non-issue because of (Fighter). However, iirc, with Pokemon Trainer, the Trainer and each of the Pokemon have their own fighter spirits. I feel like if both Pyra and Mythra were included, they would go that route and if it were just Pyra, then Rex & Pyra together.

However, the difference between the spirits and the character select screen is they'd have to have Xander Mobus/Announcer in every language record two lines specifically. Also not impossible (Bowser Jr., though that was base game), but I'm sure it's not ideal.

I also think this would probably be easiest, but as a fan of Pyra and Mythra...feelsbadman lol. As fleshed out characters, you sort of want to see them get acknowledged compared to a generic Pokemon but I think it comes down to how important Pyra and Mythra are in Rex's moveset.
In the end though, I think the Pokemon getting spirits is a whole different story, and I really doubt Rex will not be the star of the show. He's the one doing most of the actual fighting, and I kind of doubt how much the other two would even get to use a weapon. Honestly, it probably comes down to if they can take damage and be KO'd like the second climber and Lumas, or if they are intangible like Arsene. Frankly, I think the latter is far more likely. In that case, I really doubt they'll be part of the fighter name.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Actually, I was thinking, and why exactly are so many people seemingly hostile toward Rex? I suppose there could be several reasons. Swordfighter. Though, then some people turn right around and request Dante and/or Sora unironically. I personally don't think it should matter if they have a weapon or not and, honestly it seems to be more of a code word fore Fire Emblem as they rarely seem to complain about Shulk, Meta Knight, and such. Either way, at least if they are consistent in believing that swords are bad it could be a somewhat legitimate reason.

Is it design? I think Rex's base design is fairly non-offensive (and transitions into a really nice, if not a bit more standard protagonist design). Let's be honest, the more legitimate complaints would be about Pyra and Mythra. Yeah, I can see that, but it didn't seem to stop people from wanting Bayonetta or making a big deal about Mai (even if mostly in jest).

Do they just hate XC2? The biggest complaint there, again, seems to go back to design and fanservice. Which somehow anime became an insult. Though, sometimes I may wonder how much they really hate the fanservice and how much they just want to look nice or something along those lines.

And, for a more specific one, are the Elma supporters (some of them at least) threatened? Might make sense. His game was much more successful, he's more recent, and he brings with him likely two more characters with him. Not to mention he was specifically mentioned by Sakurai. Given it's likely one or the other and Rex seems to be the most likely candidate, that might lead to some hostility.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Actually, I was thinking, and why exactly are so many people seemingly hostile toward Rex? I suppose there could be several reasons. Swordfighter. Though, then some people turn right around and request Dante and/or Sora unironically. I personally don't think it should matter if they have a weapon or not and, honestly it seems to be more of a code word fore Fire Emblem as they rarely seem to complain about Shulk, Meta Knight, and such. Either way, at least if they are consistent in believing that swords are bad it could be a somewhat legitimate reason.

Is it design? I think Rex's base design is fairly non-offensive (and transitions into a really nice, if not a bit more standard protagonist design). Let's be honest, the more legitimate complaints would be about Pyra and Mythra. Yeah, I can see that, but it didn't seem to stop people from wanting Bayonetta or making a big deal about Mai (even if mostly in jest).

Do they just hate XC2? The biggest complaint there, again, seems to go back to design and fanservice. Which somehow anime became an insult. Though, sometimes I may wonder how much they really hate the fanservice and how much they just want to look nice or something along those lines.

And, for a more specific one, are the Elma supporters (some of them at least) threatened? Might make sense. His game was much more successful, he's more recent, and he brings with him likely two more characters with him. Not to mention he was specifically mentioned by Sakurai. Given it's likely one or the other and Rex seems to be the most likely candidate, that might lead to some hostility.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is largely well liked.

But the people who dislike it, REALLY dislike it. At it first glance, it seems like generic shonen. It isn't, but that's enough for a lot of people to say no.

I.D.

Smash Lord

Extreme vocal minority. Not only do Rex & Pyra place well in western fanpolls, in Japanese ones they outright win them ocassionally. The game itself was a complete success for Monolith.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Well X basically got obliterated on the baseroster, considering timing wise Elma had everything in favour when it came to roster selection, but they went even further to not even acknowledge the few X spirits that they are from X (its an hidden file though), while Japanese only Fire Emblems and real flops like Code Name Steam got this priviledge

Also considering it has already been 5 years since X released and that game ended on a major cliffhanger, but instead they remade the original also doesn't help this whole X situation, because most people lose interest/give up at this point, and the only way to get the most profit is to port/remaster X, but thats something Takahashi said plenty of times would be to exspansive. (not saying it can't happen though)

Xenoblade also is still a young franchise and X was a very experimental game, that split up the Xenoblade fanbase in the first place, so I could easily see Nintendo not greenlighting an X2 sequal, because the majority of the people prefer the structure of XB1 and XB2, and other people did bring up that X was more of HD field test for Monolith and the only reason Nintendo greenlited X's development was to perfect BOTW and other Nintendo projects.

The short version is that there is way to much behind the scene stuff happening regarding X and a sequal should have atleast been announced by now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i imagine most of the anti sword crowd has an exception to rule and every sora fan will point out he wields a key not a sword

Arthur97

Smash Master
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is largely well liked.

But the people who dislike it, REALLY dislike it. At it first glance, it seems like generic shonen. It isn't, but that's enough for a lot of people to say no.
Fair, I think some reviewers may have been harsh on it to, but who takes them seriously? So, fair. I'm no stranger to this phenomenon myself.

i imagine most of the anti sword crowd has an exception to rule and every sora fan will point out he wields a key not a sword
Probably my least favorite excuse of the lot. Seriously, it's got blade in the name.

Well X basically got obliterated on the baseroster, considering timing wise Elma had everything in favour when it came to roster selection, but they went even further to not even acknowledge the few X spirits that they are from X (its an hidden file though), while Japanese only Fire Emblems and real flops like Code Name Steam got this priviledge

Also considering it has already been 5 years since X released and that game ended on a major cliffhanger, but instead they remade the original also doesn't help this whole X situation, because most people lose interest/give up at this point, and the only way to get the most profit is to port/remaster X, but thats something Takahashi said plenty of times would be to exspansive. (not saying it can't happen though)

Xenoblade also is still a young franchise and X was a very experimental game, that split up the Xenoblade fanbase in the first place, so I could easily see Nintendo not greenlighting an X2 sequal, because the majority of the people prefer the structure of XB1 and XB2, and other people did bring up that X was more of HD field test for Monolith and the only reason Nintendo greenlited X's development was to perfect BOTW and other Nintendo projects.

The short version is that there is way to much behind the scene stuff happening regarding X and a sequal should have atleast been announced by now.
If you mean how different games have oddly specific data in the files, I think even stuff like DKC3 has that. It's...weird why some do and some don't as clearly the third installment of a series of five main games is not a series. Unless they did that specifically in the localized versions because they felt like doing nothing important that day.

Unless they were generally planning to be more specific with where the spirits were from like they were with Geno and Mallow.

That said, yeah, I'd say the evidence does not bode well for Elma. I will say though, that the original has more clout than X, but that in and of itself may be a testament to X's legacy. Or lack thereof. Plus, Shulk in Smash (especially being one of the more memable members) certainly helps it, and making a widely accessible way to play it is essentially asking for success (even the 3DS required a "new" one to play).

All that said though, what's with people here specifically being so against him? Namely the speculation thread as was discussed a few pages back.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Is it design? I think Rex's base design is fairly non-offensive (and transitions into a really nice, if not a bit more standard protagonist design).
Really? I thought it got even more ridiculous. The things that make Rex's design silly as a diving suit become even more questionable when repurposed as astronaut gear.

It only split the fanbase if you think only one sort of game is worth having, in which case it was split the moment Xenoblade reappropriated the "Xeno" moniker from Gears/Saga. The reason they made X is because they wanted to make a game with more sci-fi elements while building on the gameplay systems of Blade 1.
“After the completion of the previous Xenoblade (2010), when I told [Hitoshi] Yamagami-san’s team at Nintendo that I wanted to create something a little more sci-fi using Xenoblade as a base, they said it could be worth the challenge.”
https://www.siliconera.com/xenoblade-chronicles-x-director-takes-twitter/
Blaming people for becoming fans of that does more to split the fanbase than X simply existing. It'd be smarter to just accept that Takahashi has broad tastes that won't always align with yours. The same man who is responsible for everything you like about the series also decided he wanted character designs that look like this and music that sounded like this.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Probably my least favorite excuse of the lot. Seriously, it's got blade in the name.
unfortunately theyll probably go on about how blade can mean things apart from sword, which while yes is accurate is still gonna feel like theyre looking for a loophole desperately

Arthur97

Smash Master
unfortunately theyll probably go on about how blade can mean things apart from sword, which while yes is accurate is still gonna feel like theyre looking for a loophole desperately
I actually looked it up. Pretty sure it isn't referring to meat for one, so, yeah, pulling that card would not be very good.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Really? I thought it got even more ridiculous. The things that make Rex's design silly as a diving suit become even more questionable when repurposed as astronaut gear.

It only split the fanbase if you think only one sort of game is worth having, in which case it was split the moment Xenoblade reappropriated the "Xeno" moniker from Gears/Saga. The reason they made X is because they wanted to make a game with more sci-fi elements while building on the gameplay systems of Blade 1.

https://www.siliconera.com/xenoblade-chronicles-x-director-takes-twitter/
Blaming people for becoming fans of that does more to split the fanbase than X simply existing. It'd be smarter to just accept that Takahashi has broad tastes that won't always align with yours. The same man who is responsible for everything you like about the series also decided he wanted character designs that look like this and music that sounded like this.
Well I feel a major cause of the split fanbase also is the majority of people where expecting a story on the same caliber of the original, which lead to disapointment, because you should not play X for its story, but for the exploration and world building. X to me always had the potential to become trilogy, but normally atleast we would now by now that the sequal is in development, because like I said at this point you need the original ported or remade to get the most interest and profit (it also doesn't help its stuck on the WiiU)

D

Deleted member

I’d rather get a sequel than a port. Obviously both could happen but it physically pains me thinking of navigating Mira without the Gamepad.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Actually, I was thinking, and why exactly are so many people seemingly hostile toward Rex?
I would argue not many people actually are in the Smash fanbase. Outside of that, it would be because he is literally the definition of anime and also uses a sword. I don't think many uninformed are aware that Pyra and Mythra are a package deal. Those in the Smash fanbase who are hostile towards him either dislike XB2/want Elma or also don't want anime swordsmen in general. idk why Dante somehow slips past their radar; probably because he's old, uses guns, and doesn't really look anime. Sora is bull**** though because he is even more anime than Rex and uses a sword (it would have sword hitboxes).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I would argue not many people actually are in the Smash fanbase. Outside of that, it would be because he is literally the definition of anime and also uses a sword. I don't think many uninformed are aware that Pyra and Mythra are a package deal. Those in the Smash fanbase who are hostile towards him either dislike XB2/want Elma or also don't want anime swordsmen in general. idk why Dante somehow slips past their radar; probably because he's old, uses guns, and doesn't really look anime. Sora is bull**** though because he is even more anime than Rex and uses a sword (it would have sword hitboxes).
I mean he’s not from an anime so he’s not literally

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, like I said, the sword fighter complaint seems to mostly be a veiled Fire Emblem complain. Seriously, ask someone about that and see if they have a problem with Cloud, Shulk, Meta Knight, Heroes, or the Pits. I could see some issue with the Links if just because there's three of them.

Also, is support for Elma really that strong outside of the really dedicated?

I mean he’s not from an anime so he’s not literally
It has come to moreso mean a certain style. Partially at least, art style. Namely the eyes really, and, yeah, Rex does have big anime eyes (though, oddly enough, XC2 also had characters with more normal eyes which was kind of weird).

It is a bit ironic saying that Sora is more anime though considering his connections to Disney of all companies. I mean, he doesn't have quite as obvious anime eyes, but his design may be arguably more anime sans the very Disney oversized shoes.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Also, is support for Elma really that strong outside of the really dedicated?
Not really. You could probably say that support for Elma and support for Rex is proportional to the success of their games in relation to each other. It's just that that the subset of people who are hostile towards Rex possibly are because they think Elma is a better second XB rep, among other reasons.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
On the plus side, we're definetly not the only ones who noticed Rex's current situation.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, anyone who looks at the situation should be able to figure that much out.

That said, unfortunately, the Smashtubers might end up hurting their hype as, well, they don't seem up a lot of their alleys. Speaking of which, ever notice how few of the series represented a lot of Smash players seem familiar with? Some apparently haven't even played mainstays like Zelda.

However, on a more gameplay side of things, I know it's not exactly the most popular mechanic and I'm not the biggest fan myself, but what do you think the odds are that Mythra will allow Rex to crit in some way since that was a big part of her gameplay? Alternatively, maybe they could cut out the middle man and have her greatly reduce the end lag of certain moves when landed kind of like Ryu, etc.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That said, unfortunately, the Smashtubers might end up hurting their hype as, well, they don't seem up a lot of their alleys. Speaking of which, ever notice how few of the series represented a lot of Smash players seem familiar with? Some apparently haven't even played mainstays like Zelda.
smash truly seems to be one of those games which nearly every kind of gamer loves. which is probably why most smash speculation has moved away from 1st party characters

MisterMike

Smash Champion
As someone who has never played XC2, yet feels that Rex & Pyra have a good shot at making it in, I have a few questions to ask ye faithful.
  1. What was your first exposure to the Xenoblade series, and what was your first game?
  2. How likely do you think Rex's chances are in terms of a percentage? 100% being guarenteed and 0% being a big fat nope. I'm at a solid 75-80% myself, mainly because of Min Min, as well as the fact that they are one of the few characters Sakurai has specifically mentioned wanting to include but not being able to for various reasons.
  3. If Rex & Pyra were to get in, what would be their gimmick? I'm aware that the two fight as one, and that you can change blades mid-fight, or at least switch between Pyra and Mythra, but maybe there's something else that would help differentiate them from other fighters?
  4. Speaking of Pyra and Mythra, how do you think they'd incorporate switching between them? I'd imagine it'd be their Down-Special or something, with Pyra as the default. I could also see them doing something akin to Pokemon Trainer where you can select which Pokemon you start with from the fighter selection screen, though I worry that might make the render too cluttered. In this case, they could have either Pyra or Mythra switch when you change them on the menu?
  5. What would their fighting style be like? As a layman, there are three routes I could see them go: 1) Pyra/Mythra follows behind Rex a la Ice Climbers, 2) Pyra/Mythra follows along in the background a la Pokemon Trainer, or 3) Rex and Pyra/Mythra mechanically fight as one fighter a la Duck Hunt, only without one of them riding the other like a horsey, as funny as that'd be to see.
  6. Given that they changed Mythra's design to cover up her lucious legs, do you think they would they do the same for Pyra? I'm well aware that they made no changes to her design for her Spirit, but given she'd have a full 3D model in Smash that could be seen from many angles, perhaps they'd want to cover her up a bit?
  7. What are some characters who you expect to see as Spirits alongside Rex? I don't know many of the characters, though I know that Malos is a guy who exists so he's a likely shoe-in.
  8. What are some ideas for alts? I'm imagining they could have alts based on a certain spoiler from later in the game, as well as a black and purple alt based on Malos. Crazy idea, but maybe they'd give Rex a BotW!Link alt to reference his Salvager Gear being available in that game?

Actually, I was thinking, and why exactly are so many people seemingly hostile toward Rex?
Put simply, it's jealousy mixed with a bit of envy. The people who do this kind of **** are the ones who didn't, or most likely won't, get the characters they most wanted in Smash, so they resort to shaming others for their most wanted character(s) in a vain attempt at making themselves feel better. The reason this is particularly bad with characters like Rex is because, unlike a lot of hopefuls out there, Rex has a particularly great chance of making it in as DLC, especially after Min Min, and they simply can't stand it.

I.D.

Smash Lord
As someone who has never played XC2, yet feels that Rex & Pyra have a good shot at making it in, I have a few questions to ask ye faithful.
  1. What was your first exposure to the Xenoblade series, and what was your first game?
  2. How likely do you think Rex's chances are in terms of a percentage? 100% being guarenteed and 0% being a big fat nope. I'm at a solid 75-80% myself, mainly because of Min Min, as well as the fact that they are one of the few characters Sakurai has specifically mentioned wanting to include but not being able to for various reasons.
  3. If Rex & Pyra were to get in, what would be their gimmick? I'm aware that the two fight as one, and that you can change blades mid-fight, or at least switch between Pyra and Mythra, but maybe there's something else that would help differentiate them from other fighters?
  4. Speaking of Pyra and Mythra, how do you think they'd incorporate switching between them? I'd imagine it'd be their Down-Special or something, with Pyra as the default. I could also see them doing something akin to Pokemon Trainer where you can select which Pokemon you start with from the fighter selection screen, though I worry that might make the render too cluttered. In this case, they could have either Pyra or Mythra switch when you change them on the menu?
  5. What would their fighting style be like? As a layman, there are three routes I could see them go: 1) Pyra/Mythra follows behind Rex a la Ice Climbers, 2) Pyra/Mythra follows along in the background a la Pokemon Trainer, or 3) Rex and Pyra/Mythra mechanically fight as one fighter a la Duck Hunt, only without one of them riding the other like a horsey, as funny as that'd be to see.
  6. Given that they changed Mythra's design to cover up her lucious legs, do you think they would they do the same for Pyra? I'm well aware that they made no changes to her design for her Spirit, but given she'd have a full 3D model in Smash that could be seen from many angles, perhaps they'd want to cover her up a bit?
  7. What are some characters who you expect to see as Spirits alongside Rex? I don't know many of the characters, though I know that Malos is a guy who exists so he's a likely shoe-in.
  8. What are some ideas for alts? I'm imagining they could have alts based on a certain spoiler from later in the game, as well as a black and purple alt based on Malos. Crazy idea, but maybe they'd give Rex a BotW!Link alt to reference his Salvager Gear being available in that game?
1. Operation Rainfall for Xenoblade itself but I knew of Monolith and their games/history long before that.
2. Very high but not 100% guaranteed (despite what I said in the rate their chances thread).
3. There's many things they could go with, only Sakurai knows. Pretty sure it won't be weapon switching because Sakurai already blew that load with Byleth. I think switching between Pyra and Mythra is a guarantee and having several stances/modes/whatever would give him a cool thematic link with Shulk.
4. Only Sakurai knows, but I don't expect them to be mere skins.
5. Only Sakurai knows, but I think 2) is extremely boring.
6. I don't think so. CERO's main problems are panty shots and cleavage. If Bayonetta can make it, why not Pyra?
7. The Blades of the other party members (other than Poppi who is already in the game). Other than that they could go for rare Blades or villains.
8. If Shulk is anything to go by, alts based on party members. I'd expect his second costume to be a skin.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
1. First exposure was...probably Smash. At least, the first notable exposure. I think I had heard of it before at some point. First game was the first one on the Wii that I borrowed from my brother.

2. I...generally don't know. Smash speculation is notably unpredictable. I think it'd make sense, but it's not guaranteed.

3. I think the main thing would be weapon switching. I don't think the Byleths really hurt that because the way they do it would likely be different than how Rex would. I imagine he'd be more like permanent Mondado arts. Essentially, he switches between, say, stronger attacks for Pyra and faster attacks for Mythra. Could go more elaborate and have some moves (likely some specials or smash attacks) change entirely depending on which one is out.

4. I think switching is the most likely.

5. I think 1 is the least likely as they all share a weapon. I think they will be intangible, but they might help out in some attacks like they did in their game. They might even make a mechanic about their distance to Rex.

6. I think they might make her shorts cover a bit more, which, yeah, reasonable enough.

7. Pandoria, Briggid, Dromarch, Malos, Jin, maybe Vandham. Course, now that we know how the boards work with preexisting franchises, we may not get too many new ones...we might also get...coffee with milk as they say. Would work for a legendary.

8. I think yeah, the colors will mostly be based off the party, and maybe two for the other outfit with one being base and the other Malos themed. I also hope Pyra and Mythra get colors based on other blades.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
1. Watched Chuggaaconroy's Let's Play of the first Xenoblade. Years later, finally got a Wii U just because of Xenoblade X (worth it) and that was my first game. It used to be my favorite game of all time before BOTW and Xenoblade 2 came around.
2. 50%: he's either in or not lol I'm giving it a 85% chance in general. Considering everything we know, if we have another 1st party pack coming up, it's from Xenoblade.
3. The more mechanics they can translate from the entire awesomeness that is Xenoblade 2's Battle System, the better. In terms of Blade Switching, I think it's a given, though they can either go with the Original's or Torna's. But, if I had to choose one thing that I would love to have is being able to cancel Arts.
4. I think Down Special would be a good way to switch between Blades, though I would love if they pulled a Torna and included the Switch attacks.
5. That's a doozy... 1 doesn't make sense considering there's only one weapon, 2 is the most likely outcome, but 3 reminds me of the game's fight scenes so I would be down for either 2 or 3.
6. Considering ZSS, I don't think they will do anything of the sort but Pyra already has her disguise that would work as an alt that is more "CERO-friendly"
7. I think they would go the route of either secondary characters, put some Torna spirits or even from Future Connected (reminder that there wasn't any spirit event related to that game)
8. In terms of alts, my ideal set would be:
- Salvager Rex, Pyra & Mythra (she would use her Ultimate design for almost all alts)
- Prototype Suit Rex, Disguised Pyra & Mythra w/ Roc's Colors
- Cloud Sea King Rex, Mythra-Style Pyra & Pyra-Style Mythra
Costume 5: Driver Master Rex, Blue Sky Pyra & Carbon Mythra
- Salvager Rex w/ Nia's colors, Pyra w/ Dromarch's colors & Mythra w/ T-ELOS' colors
- Salvager Rex w/ Tora's colors, Pyra w/ Poppi Alpha's colors & Mythra w/ QTpi's colors
- Salvager Rex w/ Morag's colors, Pyra w/ Brighid's colors & Mythra w/ Aegeaon's colors
- Salvager Rex w/ Zeke's colors, Pyra w/ Pandoria's colors & Mythra w/ KOS-MOS's colors
- Cloud Sea Shark Rex, Pro Swimmer Pyra & Radiant Beach Mythra pretty please, I'm a good boy

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean...I don't know, I wouldn't entirely rule out them getting swimsuits. Shulk...sort of did, and, honestly, the girls' swimsuits aren't much worse than their usual attire. Pyra's might actually cover more.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
1. Technically Smash with Shulk, but XB2 was the first one I played. I enjoyed it a lot and even made a Pyra cosplay.
2. I'm actually unsure. While Rex is in the same situation as Min Min, Nintendo had a say in the character choices for DLC and it's up to whether they want to bring him back or not. I'll put it at a conservative 50%.
3. Beats me, but Sakurai could probably figure it out
4. Probably just switching with down b or something
5. Same as #3
6. I actually don't think Pyra is much of a problem considering she wears booty shorts and not a skirt, which is what CERO has a problem with. So Pyra's stockings combined with shorts are probably fine. I think if anything they'd have to cover up her back a little since like 2/3rds of her back is exposed.
7. For spirits I expect all the ones in the game currently plus some secondary characters and the villains.
8. Eh, idk. I've never been good at thinking of alts.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Put simply, it's jealousy mixed with a bit of envy. The people who do this kind of **** are the ones who didn't, or most likely won't, get the characters they most wanted in Smash, so they resort to shaming others for their most wanted character(s) in a vain attempt at making themselves feel better. The reason this is particularly bad with characters like Rex is because, unlike a lot of hopefuls out there, Rex has a particularly great chance of making it in as DLC, especially after Min Min, and they simply can't stand it.
  1. I remember hearing about the first Xenoblade Chronicles game in Nintendo Power. It was one of those games in the early 2010's that looked pretty promising for the Wii (another one being The Last Story). Then Shulk in Smash happened of course and I later got into the series through Xenoblade 2.
  2. Honestly, 90%. He has just about everything going for him especially after the ARMS reveal.
  3. Blade switching could be a thing since you could switch between Pyra and possibly Mythra. I also had an idea where Pyra would help Rex by standing near him like the Ice Climbers; you'd get a ton of buffs when near her but if she gets attacked then you get hurt as well. It'd tie in with how Rex and Pyra are life-linked which is a big part of XB2's story.
  4. Yeah probably down special.
  5. I think options #1 and #2 of what you said are the most likely.
  6. Most I can see happening is her shorts are slightly longer. Zero Suit Samus has her shorts alt so I don't think Pyra would be too censored.
  7. The main party members are already spirits, so I'd expect some of the following:
    • Vandham
    • The villains of XB2 (Malos, Jin, etc.)
    • Torna characters (Lora, Addam, etc.)
  8. Party member colored alts where Rex is based on his allies and Pyra/Mythra would be based on their respective blades. Also the Blade Master costume that Rex gets later in the game.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I just finished Torna yesterday.
After around 350 hours of combined Xenoblade 2 gameplay I don't know what to do with my life anymore haha
I think Min Min in Smash means previously considered characters will get another chance, so I think Rex is likely.
I don't think this happens, but it would be amazing if we got an echo situation of Rex/Pyra and Addam/Mythra similar to how Simon and Richter are both in game.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Alright, I feel kinda bad for posting this, but I need to get this off my chest. I honestly think the Elma fans are overestimating her chances compared to Rex. Like, I get it, there's barely any X content in Ultimate, but is there ANY solid evidence that would suggest that she's more likely than Rex? Because, to put it bluntly, Rex has A LOT going for him. He was acknowledged by Sakurai alongside an ARMS rep, and then we got Min Min. He comes from a major Switch release that brought huge success to the franchise. We know now that Spirits don't deconfirm. On top of ALL that, his Mii costume is a VERY unique case compared to other Mii costumes. Honestly, Rex is a shoo-in at this point. And yet most Elma fans I see act as if we're exaggerating him, some even calling us entitled. It's honestly kinda sad, especially as someone who wants both Rex and Elma in Smash.

But that's just my take on the matter. I don't want to start any conflicts between the two groups (or rather, make the current conflict even worse).

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Alright, I feel kinda bad for posting this, but I need to get this off my chest. I honestly think the Elma fans are overestimating her chances compared to Rex. Like, I get it, there's barely any X content in Ultimate, but is there ANY solid evidence that would suggest that she's more likely than Rex? Because, to put it bluntly, Rex has A LOT going for him. He was acknowledged by Sakurai alongside an ARMS rep, and then we got Min Min. He comes from a major Switch release that brought huge success to the franchise. We know now that Spirits don't deconfirm. On top of ALL that, his Mii costume is a VERY unique case compared to other Mii costumes. Honestly, Rex is a shoo-in at this point. And yet most Elma fans I see act as if we're exaggerating him, some even calling us entitled. It's honestly kinda sad, especially as someone who wants both Rex and Elma in Smash.

But that's just my take on the matter. I don't want to start any conflicts between the two groups (or rather, make the current conflict even worse).
I don't agree that Rex is a shoo-in but I still don't see Elma making it in over him.

I honestly expect another XC1 character to promote DE before I see them adding Elma, TBH.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, I don't think we can say anyone is a shoo-in, but...I would not be happy if they added Elma over Rex. Though, Sakurai did make that too many swordfighter comment or something a while back.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

I mean, I don't necessarily disagree, but if you really want a character, it doesn't hurt to dream at least a little. I think Reimu would be pretty darn cool but do I think she's gonna make it in? ¯\_:mybodyisreggie:_/¯
Doesn't mean I won't root for her.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don't agree that Rex is a shoo-in but I still don't see Elma making it in over him.

I honestly expect another XC1 character to promote DE before I see them adding Elma, TBH.
Yeah, I don't think we can say anyone is a shoo-in, but...I would not be happy if they added Elma over Rex. Though, Sakurai did make that too many swordfighter comment or something a while back.
I mean, I don't necessarily disagree, but if you really want a character, it doesn't hurt to dream at least a little. I think Reimu would be pretty darn cool but do I think she's gonna make it in? ¯\_:mybodyisreggie:_/¯
Doesn't mean I won't root for her.
Yeah, I probably worded it wrong. Sorry about that, it was just making me stressed. I guess I'm no better than the people I was talking about, huh?

Anyway, let's try something positive. What Rare Blades do you think they'd add to Rex's Spirit Board, if any?

Arthur97

Smash Master
I doubt any generic rare blades will be added. Story blades would likely take priority.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Assuming Rex/Pyra/Mythra and Pneuma are fighter spirits.

1. Nia -> can upgrade now
  2. Dromarch
  3. Tora
  4. Poppi A -> can upgrade now
  5. Morag
  6. Brighid
  7. Zeke
  8. Pandoria
  9. Jin
  10. Malos
Something like that.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It would be neat if they added upgrades. Jin and Malos would work as upgradables too...if they have the artwork for it.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice

1. Technically Shulk in Smash, but first game in the actual series was XC2.
2. Difficult to say. I would say like 33%? Which is a lot when you think about how many also likely contentants there are for the few spots that remain.
3. I personally think Sakurai will go the "Joker" route where Rex&Pyra are more designed of how he feels they would fight instead of of how the games work. So mostlikely quite similiar to how they are represented in the cutscenes of XC2 - meaning focus on tagteam attacks.
4. I think they will stick with Pyra and dont do mythra at all. Joker also only got Arsene und now other persona. Also most champions focus on one general "gimmick" (for the lack of a better word.) Having tagteam attacks and additional "stabce-switches" would be two.
But maybe (if sakurai is gernerous) mythra is included per skins. So if you pick skin A Pyra is your partner, if you pick skin b Mythra is.
5. I think Pokemon Trainer style.
6. No, I think in some interview it was mentioned that the skirt was the problem not showing skin per se.
7. Well major cast from XC2 and Torna I think
8. having mythra/pyra and pneuma as partner depending on the skin.

Top Bottom